• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaiian Senators want a return of Tourism to part of Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
So everything in the article was out of date and not really informative regarding current situation and thoughts on best approach for West Maui at this point

I don’t see anything to change the latest guidance from the government. We are strongly discouraged to visit west Maui before October 17th. That’s it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope the relief effort will be able to achieve a semblance of stability for the displaced individuals in Maui by October 17th

For timeshare owners at the various resorts this is a wakeup call to maintain travel insurance

I received my wakeup call about travel insurance last November with the Florida Hurricanes

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would like to know if the travel insurance promoted by Vistana/Marriott is covering the fire cancellations. I have heard from a couple of people that their travel insurance (not sure what company) is not going to cover it: Act of God, force majeure, blah, blah, blah

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great question
I would believe it would based on my understanding
I have no claim in this event, so I can not speak first hand
Let me get the policy language from the MVC policy

This is the part of the policy that states what the insurance will do
Will cover the the trip if cancelled or interrupted:

TRIP CANCELLATION AND/OR INTERRUPTION The Company will reimburse the Insured a benefit, up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule if an Insured or Traveling Companion cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue on his/her Trip due to any of the following Unforeseen events

This would be the situation that I think would apply to the situation in Maui
The Destination being made inaccessible by Natural Disaster:

(e) the Insured’s or Traveling Companion’s home or Destination being made Uninhabitable or inaccessible by Natural Disaster, that is due to natural causes; vandalism, or burglary. Coverage for a hurricane applies only if insurance was purchased prior to the tropical storm being upgraded to a hurricane;

In the cases last November Marco was accessible but uninhabitable as declared by Marriott

I would think that that inaccessible would apply here

Let me know if you want a link to the entire policy. It is a PDF

Last edited:

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max

I do get the attraction of Maui but for us it seems they need a break. Go if you want. The regular people for the most part didn't like tourists before the fire so I guess that increased sentiment doesn't matter to many tourists.

Bill
What most regular people need is a paycheck :rolleyes:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I would like to know if the travel insurance promoted by Vistana/Marriott is covering the fire cancellations. I have heard from a couple of people that their travel insurance (not sure what company) is not going to cover it: Act of God, force majeure, blah, blah, blah
We have Travelex. I don’t know, but I doubt it.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have Travelex. I don’t know, but I doubt it.
The policy information above is from the Travelex policy provided by MVC and Vistana
It would absolutely cover a cancellation if made by Marriott or Vistana
If a person initiated a cancellation, It might cover based on the facts

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If I rent my home resort reservation, will Travelex still cover the reservation?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
The policy information above is from the Travelex policy provided by MVC and Vistana
It would absolutely cover a cancellation if made by Marriott or Vistana
If a person initiated a cancellation, It might cover based on the facts
We bought our Travelex policy through the Hyatt website. It is the 2023 annual policy they offer, only $114 for the year. I’m not sure if that policy covers what was described above.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you, I actually wanted to review the enrollment process - is the website down?

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, have no idea how to sign up online. I did it through a representative

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have two weeks scheduled for April 2024, and I was so looking forward to the prime rib at Kimo's. Their website does say they will rebuild, so there is that to look forward to in years to come.
It will be very interesting to see how many of the restaurants and businesses that were on Front St. do rebuild. And if they do, where. It will be years before anything is done, according to what I've been reading from someone who lives there. Many of the buildings on the oceanfront side of Front St. were already is disrepair. It's possible that nothing will be built that close to the water again. I fear that by the time Lahaina is rebuilt, whatever that looks like, we will be past the age of visiting.

We plan on keeping our plans to visit in March 2024 as we will be staying in Kihei.

Floridanat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely the employees who lost their homes should be given rooms at the resort. The question is who should pay for that. Right now, owners are paying for that, without their consent. I believe the timeshare developer/management should pay for that. For those owners whose reservations were cancelled, unless they expressly agreed to donate those weeks, the developer should bear the cost by giving the owners an unrestricted right to rebook any weeks from the developer's inventory. Instead, the developer is selling those weeks for cash while telling owners too bad, your week is lost. All the while taking credit for the charity they are giving at someone else's expense. I have an issue with that.
I've been thinking the same thing . I've also been wondering if the resorts also getting paid by FEMA to house people at the hotel rate in addition to restricting points. Double Dipping!

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This is not confirmed, but I did see a couple posts today on the Marriott Maui Ocean Club Owners Facebook Group that said the MVC employees that have been staying at MOC have just been moved to the Hyatt Hotel and The Whaler condominium since those properties were part of the FEMA hotel lodging program where FEMA is footing the bill. Someone who said they were a MOC employee seemed to confirm that to be true, but again, no independent verification.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've also been wondering if the resorts also getting paid by FEMA to house people at the hotel rate in addition to restricting points. Double Dipping!
From what I've seen, none of the MVC/Vistana resorts were on the list of properties in FEMA's program, so no.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What most regular people need is a paycheck :rolleyes:

What's your deal ? You really think these people want to clean up after you at a resort or serve you a meal at a restaurant while many haven't even found their friends and families or had funerals for the dead ? Most of these "regular people" have lost everything, but ok, they need to go to work and get that paycheck so you can have your fun in Maui.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think this thread needs a timeout. To much :mad: :wall::poop::devilish::crash:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This thread is out of time out: Keep it civil or it will be closed permanently.

You can express your opinion - and that's all it is, your opinion, without criticizing anyone else.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's your deal ? You really think these people want to clean up after you at a resort or serve you a meal at a restaurant while many haven't even found their friends and families or had funerals for the dead ? Most of these "regular people" have lost everything, but ok, they need to go to work and get that paycheck so you can have your fun in Maui.

Bill
I have close family friends on Maui, and my sister has being going over as a Red Cross volunteer to help out. While there are locals who don't want tourists on Maui (some of them felt that way before the fire), and in particular West Maui, there are also many who DO want tourists to come and patronize the businesses they either own or work for. They do want to continue receiving paychecks so they can pay their bills.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another comment on Travelex Travel Insurance
For some reason I did not realize their is an advisory out about limited travel to West Maui until October 17
It has just floated right by me
Under terms I posted earlier in this thread it would make the resorts inaccessible under the advisory
If anybody has the Marriott/Vistana travel policy and has cancelled their reservation and they are unhappy with the 60 day limitation on their points/staroptions, they should file a claim for return of the their Maintenance fees
The points/staroptions will be removed from their account when they receive payment for the maintenance fees
This was done before during the November Hurricane in South Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.