• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC's Deed Back Process

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Sorry I do not understand what swap in 1 and Sfx means? At least that’s answers the question for sole who have lost a spouse etc.
You can exchange Craig Lodges weeks in Interval International, https://www.intervalworld.com/web/my/home or SFX, https://www.sfxresorts.com/ , instead of HGVC. You have the option to deposit your week in those two and then you can book in one of those exchanges instead of in HGVC. So, when your week is deposited there, the points would be removed from HGVC for that year.

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score

JD727272

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Craigendarroch

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry I do not understand what swap in 1 and Sfx means? At least that’s answers the question for sole who have lost a spouse etc.

JD727272

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Craigendarroch

I have not idea how the hgv points thing works does anyone know where I find out about this?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not idea how the hgv points thing works does anyone know where I find out about this?
Point thing? The week will have different trading power based on when it is during the year, i.e. an in-demand week versus not. You deposit your week in one of those other exchanges and when your week is, will allow you better trades in those system.

1709232810000.png

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
SFX Preferred Resorts is it worth joining without a timeshare that give automatic membership?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SFX Preferred Resorts is it worth joining without a timeshare that give automatic membership?
I paid to join and may use the cash deals like RCI Last Call

MNScott

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had a successful return. An important note for those who have properties in Florida. Your witnesses need to write their address alongside their name, even if there is no field for it on your form. There is a new law in Florida that went in to effect on January 1st requiring this information (see 1c of https://m.flsenate.gov/Statutes/695.26).

Resort Name: Las Palmeras, Hilton Grand Vacations
Week: 1BR, 5,440 Points, Gold Season

End of December, 2023:
* Emailed pfoliosvc (at) hgvc.com
Mid January, 2024:
* Received surrender agreement via USPS, emailed a photo of the signed document.
* Received warranty deed via email to notarize/sign a few days later.
* Returned signed and notarized document via USPS.
First week of February:
* Deed recorded.
First week of March:
* Received letter via USPS confirming our property was returned.
* Verified our HGVC account/login was no longer available.

Overall time was around 60 days.

Kumo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LV tower 52 unit 3618 Elara
Newbie question: I have read every post on this thread. The original post gave email and listed details about deed surrender. What I would like to know : What is it exactly you are emailing them? Details of membership number and info on property? Or do I copy and paste the deed surrender as in original post? Thank you for responding

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Newbie question: I have read every post on this thread. The original post gave email and listed details about deed surrender. What I would like to know : What is it exactly you are emailing them? Details of membership number and info on property? Or do I copy and paste the deed surrender as in original post? Thank you for responding
No, please don't copy and paste the information in the original post. That was just for reference.

I would keep it simple.
  1. Let them know that your HGVC ownership is current with no outstanding loans or fees.
  2. Tell them you would like to surrender your week to HGVC for free (no refund).
  3. Tell them which week(s) you're surrendering (if you own multiple weeks). Name of Resort and the number of HGVC points associated with that week.
  4. Provide full names of everyone on your HGVC account along with your HGVC membership number.

UPDATE: Adding MNScott's reply to your question in the other thread
I also had several back and forth with people in customer service at HGVC as well as their resale division, including asking about a surrender, with no mention of this option until alwysonvac reached out and brought the deed back thread to our attention.

We reached out to the deed back email address and asked for any forms / paperwork. I provided the property location, contract number, number of points, and that we wished to initiate a voluntary surrender of the ownership. There was an automated reply to our email, and the next we heard from them was a letter in the mail that they had evaluated our ownership and would accept a deed back. The ownership was fully paid off, all fees up to date with 2024 already paid. The letter included the next steps on the process.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

Kumo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just submitted my deed surrender now. Will keep you all updated with how it all pans out. For reference with what I have :
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club STD35-562112 Check-in Day(s): Friday3,520 PointsPlatinum

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Folks don't indicate any type of hardship (high fees, medical condition, etc). Just indicate a simply voluntary surrender to avoid getting sent a hardship application.

JMHO... If they send you a hardship document, I suggest returning the first page ONLY and write non applicable next to each options and add a checkbox called " NO LOAN OR OUTSTANDING MAINTENANCE FEE (VOLUNTARY SURRENDER)"

Thank you, I did request a review, explain Loan is been paid since a long time ago, their reply was just to add a box with the option "Surrender" at the bottom of the page... they say I need to send hardship documents in order to verify if they can send a surrender offer to me.
Another TUG Guest has received a hardship document (link).

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Just curious if the deed surrender policy applies to HGVC affiliate properties?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Not sure. My uneducated guess is that if HGVC doesn’t own the property, they won’t take it back. I know the SW Florida affiliates have their own sales center and I believe there have been Craigendarroch Lodge owners here that have reported HGVC won’t take the Lodge Holiday Certificates back. If you own a SC resort, put it up for sale cheap and it will either sell or, most likely, Strand Capital will exercise ROFR.

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for the 6 deeds recorded on 2/20/24 to be removed from my account. My annual club fee was billed to one of those deeds so I can't pay it without risking it going to the wrong thing. Hopefully they don't assess late fees for it. Sent a online message to HGVC asking if it can be moved to another deed. Took them 2 weeks to respond and they just said to wait for deed back to be complete and it will automatically go to another deed.

The one deed that recorded on 1/8/24 and removed from my account on 2/23/24 I finally received a letter saying the deed back was complete. So looks like about 45 days after recording to be removed from account and another 30 days to get confirmation.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I have the same opinion (which means guess or speculation) as @dayooper. It certainly doesn’t hurt to call/email HGVC.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have the same opinion (which means guess or speculation) as @dayooper. It certainly doesn’t hurt to call/email HGVC.
Agreed. I don't think they would. I think the owner would need to work through the affiliate.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It doesn't hurt to try but I agree with dayooper's post above.

There's really no incentive for HGV to take back weeks they can't use for promotional stays, renting on Hilton.com and reselling via a timeshare presentation. But we also don't know all of the arrangements HGV has made with each of the affiliates so it doesn't hurt to ask ;)

For all owners, a voluntary surrender should only be attempted after all other options fail.

1st option - Try to sell it either yourself or via a broker. I've seen broker listings for $1.
2nd option - Try to give it away for free on TUG (within the TUG forum & marketplace).
3rd option - Pay to list it for a dollar on Redweek and/or Ebay
4th option - Reach out to your HOA and tell them you would like to voluntarily surrender your week (Don't wait until maintenance fees are due)
5th option - Reach out to HGV and tell them you would like to voluntarily surrender your week (Don't wait until maintenance fees are due)

TIP #1: If you're selling yourself, make sure you have a potential closing company in mind before you offer to sell (in case the buyer isn't familiar with the process).
LT Transfers is often recommended (
link)

TIP #2: If your week is a lower demand week (either not enough points to book a one bedroom in Orlando during platinum season and/or a high maintenance fee for the number of points), offer to reimburse closing cost and/or 1st year's usage.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
JMHO...
I'm assuming to avoid higher deliquencies and avoid foreclosure. It's easier for the developer to add weeks to their inventory for rentals, promotional stays, sales, etc.

If owners can't get rid of their ownership, they are going to abandon it. When that happens, the financial burden is passed onto the remaining owners which may cause additional owners to jump ship as maintenance fees increase.
I totally agree with your reasoning here why HGVC is offering the Deed Back Program. I will add one more reason; an extremely inexpensive way to increase their inventory which they will then sell. HGVC sales people are always saying that the prices are going to go up on the existing inventory price list as a way to immediately close a sale. The standard HGVC price list has actually gone up considerably and the newer resorts like the Grand Islander and the Maui Bay Villas are extremely expensive for a week. With the Deedback Program the cost to HGVC for the inventory they are getting back is $0 they can afford to price that inventory lower. As we know when the HGVC sales force can't convince a customer to buy the newest, best and most expensive inventory that they are showing at the on site resort, the sales manager or other sales associate will come up with a "better cheaper deal". Well with $0 cost inventory they can come up with a pretty inexpensive "better deal" and still make alot of money.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yeah, that’s a great business model. Imagine being able to sell something, get it back for free, resell, rinse and repeat.
HGVC has some great properties and a large sales network and a large sales force. The pricing of their timeshare units go from about $5,000 to $150,000 depending on the Location, Season, Size of Units, yearly versus every other year, or every third year. They can make this business model work. Unfortunately, smaller independent timeshares may not be able to make this model work since they can't easily sell what they take back so they want to try to continue to collect as much maintenance as they can. There is an advantage to owning in a major company.

We do own a Vacation Village property that is NOT offering Deedback right now. While not HGVC size they are a large Timeshare Develper so hopefully they offer Deedback in the future or are bought by one of the major timeshare players and that company makes it happen.

buymyhgvplz

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation
It doesn't hurt to try but I agree with dayooper's post above.

There's really no incentive for HGV to take back weeks they can't use for promotional stays, renting on Hilton.com and reselling via a timeshare presentation. But we also don't know all of the arrangements HGV has made with each of the affiliates so it doesn't hurt to ask ;)

For all owners, a voluntary surrender should only be attempted after all other options fail.

1st option - Try to sell it either yourself or via a broker. I've seen broker listings for $1.
2nd option - Try to give it away for free on TUG (within the TUG forum & marketplace).
3rd option - Pay to list it for a dollar on Redweek and/or Ebay
4th option - Reach out to your HOA and tell them you would like to voluntarily surrender your week (Don't wait until maintenance fees are due)
5th option - Reach out to HGV and tell them you would like to voluntarily surrender your week (Don't wait until maintenance fees are due)

TIP #1: If you're selling yourself, make sure you have a potential closing company in mind before you offer to sell (in case the buyer isn't familiar with the process).
LT Transfers is often recommended (
link)

TIP #2: If your week is a lower demand week (either not enough points to book a one bedroom in Orlando during platinum season and/or a high maintenance fee for the number of points), offer to reimburse closing cost and/or 1st year's usage.
For the first 3 options, there are closing costs for transferring the title which I've read range from 1K-2K... Are there similar fees for surrendering the deed?

Kumo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UPDATE:
Sent in the voluntary surrender of deed around March 8th ( As I posted above ) following the protocol listed on the first post. I received email back today ( April 1st ) of agreement to sign and surrender my deed. I'm sooooo relieved! Thank you all for this wonderful forum and insights. I only wish I found this sooner.
I already signed and emailed back to them. Just awaiting their reply to give back deed to finalize this process. Any idea how long that takes? ( Or your own personal experience once this has developed? )