• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HomeAway, the Airbnb Alternative

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Growing Quietly in Airbnb's Shadow - by Miguel Helft/ Tech/ Fortune/ cnn.com

The difference between HomeAway and its better known home rental rival? Profit.

140312090508-homeaway-cape-coral-tiki-bar-home-620xa.jpeg

A HomeAway listing in Cape Coral, Fla.

Richard

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another one good for Cape Cod and Florida Rentals (I dunno either), is www.WeNeedAVacation.com

EDIT - OK they seem to have given up on the Florida side and focus on just the cape now.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Airbnb Tests Cleaning, Key Handoff, Airport Transportation & Other Hospitality Services - by Ryan Lawler/ TechCrunch.com

"Airbnb is trying to find new ways to encourage guests to stay at its listings, and that could include a whole new set of amenities. Thanks to the hiring of new head of hospitality Chip Conley, the company is experimenting with a whole bunch of services in different markets that could improve stays for both hosts and guests..."

airbnb1.png

Richard

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do prefer airbnb's business model over the others, and its website is much more user friendly to me.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing a new alternative for taking a vacation.

RuralEngineer

TUG Member
Reaction score
AirBnB vs Homeaway

AirBnB has been working for me better then homeway. Don't know why.

Stephen

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried AirBnB, but have had several very nice and successful rentals through vrbo, and have one pending through Homeaway.

Like timeshares, it sure beats staying in a hotel.

Jim

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Fees

Be aware when comparing prices that airbnb adds a processing fee, whereas VRBO does not. Also, my impression (I could be wrong) is that airbnb postings more often add a cleaning fee.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And unlike most timeshares many VRBO properties can house BIG groups

True. The one we have pending has 5 bedrooms, a pool, a caretaker/maid and 5000 sq. ft.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented one that I think was a 5 bedroom. This particular home had prices based on how many rooms you needed (or how many people you had), and they basically just locked the doors to the bedrooms that we didn't pay for.

From our fairly limited experience (a couple rentals, and quite a bit of searching), most of the listings on both VRBO and HomeAway had cleaning fees and other charges. By the time we added all the charges, most of the time it just wasn't worth it to us (thus quite a bit of searching but just a couple rentals!).

You also have to keep in mind that they are rental homes rather than timeshares. You'll likely have a real hodge podge in the kitchen (often better than a timeshare). You'll have no organized activities. You'll have no mid-week cleaning. Sometimes you'll have to provide your own linens, toilet paper, towels, etc. It's much less consistent than a timeshare. They typically don't take credit cards. And if you have maintenance issues, it's not like they can move you to another unit. We had maintenance issues several times with one rental (A/C kept going out, in summer). They were slow to get it looked at. The maintenance man came out twice and it was never fixed during our stay. And they didn't refund any of our money. We had paid with a check, so we had no leverage to encourage them to make things right.

Still, it's a good alternative, especially if there's not a timeshare in the area.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The comment on no mid-week cleaning is not totally correct. We have twice had every-day cleaning included in the price, once in Mexico, once in Spain; once on a VRBO rental, once with airbnb.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Airbnb Agrees to Collect 14% Hotel Tax in San Francisco, as New York Negotiations Drag On - by
Jeff John Roberts/ Regulation/ San Francisco/ Gigaom.com

"Airbnb’s “sharing economy” business, which lets people rent out their homes for short times, is starting to resemble the traditional economy in a number of ways.

Airbnb insists it’s not in the hotel business, but that won’t stop it from collecting hotel tax. In a ground-breaking announcement, the company on Monday declared it will begin collecting taxes on behalf of its hosts in San Francisco and Portland.

The new policy could help Airbnb make peace with city officials, many of whom are hostile to its “sharing economy” business model. The tax policy will also let Airbnb’s network of hosts, who rent out their homes for short periods of time, gain firm legal footing..."

Richard

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the 14% SF tax will compress host prices. Less revenue for hosts.

lch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting news about the new policy to begin collecting taxes in SF and Portland. We are renting a house in OR this August through airbnb. I agree, this new policy has the potential to make hosting and renting in those areas much less appealing. It seems this could backfire on airbnb if competitors (vrbo, etc.) aren't charging taxes.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have used Homeaway since July 2010 for the rental of our vacation home (see signature). VRBO was too chaotic while Homeaway was much easier to navigate. We also got a much higher "platinum" listing with Homeaway due to the fact that VRBO had nearly 10 times more listings at the time.

About 2 years ago, when Homeaway offered to give me a VRBO "platinum" listing for only $300 more with the renewal of my Homeaway listing, I jumped on it. This was a huge savings. Then sometime last year Homeaway began to really morph the VRBO website to be more like the Homeaway website, to the point that I now only have to maintain a single website, and the changes are carried over through all of the national and worldwide listings.

I am not sure what the mention of cleaning fees and and taxes are all about. You pretty much cannot rent a private home anywhere with paying sales taxes unless you are doing so illegally. The taxes must be collected by the owner/manager and paid to the state. My home charges hotel 15% tax, which is the amount set by the state and local government. If a website has to start collecting the taxes directly, because the owners aren't doing it, then I say more power to them. The taxes need to be paid.

It is standard to charge a cleaning fee when you rent a home, and you must expect that when doing a search online. This is the case whether you rent directly from the owner or from a management company. Consequently, weekly rentals are much cheaper than shorter stay on a nightly rate valuation.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
All of the Homeaway and VRBO listings I've used or looked at include HK and taxes (Oregon, CA and WA). If a listing doesn't mention them, I assume they are either new and inexperienced or a scam artist and avoid them.

Sue

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the Homeaway and VRBO listings I've used or looked at include HK and taxes (Oregon, CA and WA). If a listing doesn't mention them, I assume they are either new and inexperienced or a scam artist and avoid them.

Sue

Or perhaps housekeeping is absorbed in the rental rate? Scam artists aside, if someone is inexperienced, does that typically result in problems for the guest such that it makes sense to filter out the listing altoghter?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I send someone a quote for a stay, there is a box to click if taxes are included with the nightly rate. Either way, it must be paid.