• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to get rid of timeshare while owing loan and maintenance fee

Brodieisbest

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Quite a long story but I never really wanted my timeshare in the first place (rather not explain how I got trapped into buying it but it was my fault if anything being vulnerable to a sales pitch that sounded too good to be true)

7 years in, I've never missed a loan payment but I still have more than a couple thousands to pay up to complete the payment in a couple of more years.

I have used my timeshare once to stay at a hotel for 3 nights and I was not really satisfied at all.

Thought I have never pissed a loan payment, I have stopped paying them the maintenance fees for a couple of years now so I also "owe" them a couple thousand bucks which I don't plan on paying at all. When I do finish paying off the loan to them in 2 years, the maintenance fee will be twice as high as that.

What would be the best way for me to get rid of my timeshare as of now (without hurting my credit of course)? I've sent a letter to them and they said I'm not qualified to cancel yet because I still have the loans to pay off. But once I pay off my loans, the maintenance fee that I "owe" will be through the roof and they will likely use that against me (won't they?) and say that I need to pay off the maintenance fees I owe all these past years.

If I want to "sell" it now for free, can I do so while paying off the loans during the on going few more years? And will that be possible even though I have maintenance fee + its penalty fees outstanding?

Any advice to me would be greatly appreciated!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Brodie, you might be best, but you were an adult, responsible for your actions and debt decisions when you signed that contract.

Short answer, you will need to pay it off before you can sell or give it away after the mortgage is paid, you might default on the maintenance, but that may also trigger negative credit reports.

If you want to avoid bad credit, buckle down, get an extra job if you need to, borrow from a relative, but PAY OFF THE DEBT!

You had a week or two to rescind after you bought this, but now it's yours.

Good Luck! Sorry to come off as harsh, but that's the reality of your situation.

You can default (stop paying), and it will eventually go to foreclosure, but that bad credit event will follow you for many years Better to pay it off.

Jim

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Quite a long story but I never really wanted my timeshare in the first place (rather not explain how I got trapped into buying it but it was my fault if anything being vulnerable to a sales pitch that sounded too good to be true)

7 years in, I've never missed a loan payment but I still have more than a couple thousands to pay up to complete the payment in a couple of more years.

I have used my timeshare once to stay at a hotel for 3 nights and I was not really satisfied at all.

Thought I have never pissed a loan payment, I have stopped paying them the maintenance fees for a couple of years now so I also "owe" them a couple thousand bucks which I don't plan on paying at all. When I do finish paying off the loan to them in 2 years, the maintenance fee will be twice as high as that.

What would be the best way for me to get rid of my timeshare as of now (without hurting my credit of course)? I've sent a letter to them and they said I'm not qualified to cancel yet because I still have the loans to pay off. But once I pay off my loans, the maintenance fee that I "owe" will be through the roof and they will likely use that against me (won't they?) and say that I need to pay off the maintenance fees I owe all these past years.

If I want to "sell" it now for free, can I do so while paying off the loans during the on going few more years? And will that be possible even though I have maintenance fee + its penalty fees outstanding?

Continuing to pay the loan and not paying the maintenance fees seems to me like you are taking the worst possible path.

You could stop paying the loan and the fees -- and take the hit on your credit -- but eventally the creditors will go away after several years and you will be free of the burden.

You could pay the loan, pay your maintenance fees and learn to use your timeshare. This would be expensive, but at least you would get some use out of all that money you have already spent. This is what you agreed to do when you bought your timeshare.

By not paying the maintenance fees, you could still be foreclosed on and your credit damaged all the while you are throwing money at a loan. If you are going to take the credit hit, it might as well be for the full amount.

What path you should take would be deterimined by how much money you have and how much you owe.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other piece of advice that's emphasized here on TUG is to not go seeking the help and services of these companies, charities, or law firms that claim they can eliminate, cancel, or exit you from your TS contract, mortgage, or ownership.

While this might not help you in your predicament, it will prevent you from getting into further financial troubles.

Reactions: RX8

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You didn't say what you own. Depending on the property and the HOA rules perhaps you can rent out the week to pay for the maintenance fees and possibly some of the mortgage. To rent it out you would need to make your account current, but since you are paying the debt and have no desire to affect your credit, this path could use other peoples money to defray the cost until you finish paying your mortgage and can sell or give it away.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this very question going to be the topic of the next TUG video short... we get it multiple times a week!

AnneJe

Reaction score
I recently spent few days on reading comments about how to get ride of timeshare on TUG. Based on what I read, few people tried stop paying MS and about 3 years later, successful foreclosure. Some credit were affected for few years ( between 3-6 years), some are not. FYI

Good luck

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
this very question going to be the topic of the next TUG video short... we get it multiple times a week!
Is there going to be any mention of not hiring any of these exit companies or law firms that claim they can cancel your mortgages and other debts owing?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is there going to be any mention of not hiring any of these exit companies or law firms that claim they can cancel your mortgages and other debts owing?
think its fair to say that will come up once or twice =D

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
this very question going to be the topic of the next TUG video short.
Will the script include the words bamboozle & hornswoggle ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There are some timeshares that have $0 value in resale. If you own one of those, you can maybe give it away. It's amazing to me that people will buy a timeshare and don't exercise their due diligence (and then rescind), or even have a plan for using it. All timeshares bought from the developer are ridiculously overpriced.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some timeshares that have $0 value in resale. If you own one of those, you can maybe give it away. It's amazing to me that people will buy a timeshare and don't exercise their due diligence (and then rescind), or even have a plan for using it. All timeshares bought from the developer are ridiculously overpriced.
I'll agree with what you said. One reason why "people will buy a timeshare and don't exercise their due diligence (and then rescind)," is because the rescission instructions are usually buried on page 425,or so, of the contract and that it's just too much to go through for some people. Hence, they just believe what the timeshare sales person told them.