• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Maui / Kaanapali

BigKahuna

Reaction score
We were next door using our weeks at MOC last month and checked it out. We are going back in a couple weeks using their 1495.00 offer for a two bedroom ocean view for 5 nites. I think this new Hyatt is the best thing on Kaanapli beach now, and I have stayed at all the end end properties there over the years.
As much as I love it I will not be buying here because of the price and weeks are fixed, in spite of what they might tell you.
I think after a year or two I can rent just about any week I want for a somewhat reasonable amount to extend my stay on Maui. Because they are fixed people will start to rent when they learn they can't exchange or use the week.
This is the best option for me, I just need to wait until the dust settles over the next couple years, then the rental market will smooth out and be ripe for the picking. Just my humble opinion. But I really don't see any reason to buy right now.
Can't wait to return though.
BigKahuna

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt sales presentation

We attended a sales presentation yesterday with Mark and found it to be the nicest sales presentations that we have ever been to. We have attended many at Marriott that have been low pressure but this topped them for being low pressure. They let the units sell themselves. However a lot of money for just one week a year.

NurseDave

Reaction score
Spending our last night here on the promo package. We actually did sign on the line during the presentation. A 2 bedroom during August for about 80k, and got 6k in builder credits. Still within our 7 day cancellation window and still thinking about it. Think we've learned it's really only worth it if we're going to use it most years, otherwise it's a high price to pay for 2200 points.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Spending our last night here on the promo package. We actually did sign on the line during the presentation. A 2 bedroom during August for about 80k, and got 6k in builder credits. Still within our 7 day cancellation window and still thinking about it. Think we've learned it's really only worth it if we're going to use it most years, otherwise it's a high price to pay for 2200 points.

If you are fortunate enough to afford the luxury of Maui every year, and your pocketbook is not screaming after this purchase, then keep what you bought because it's unique in the Maui timeshare world.

However, if you love the idea of Maui, there are resales at the Marriott and Westin, which are bargain prices in comparison to what you paid, and you might sleep better at night.

In other words, don't stick with something that is going to make you miserable when the payments are due each month.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind. 80K for a timeshare is crazy. Keep in mind maintenance fees are going to increase every year too.

I just returned from the there. Great resort but no way worth 80K unless maybe you have so much $$ you dont know what to do with it. :) One thing that bothered me about the resort was that the only lounge chairs close to the beach cost extra. If I was an owner and couldnt use a chair by the beach without paying extra I'd be pretty annoyed.

Do yourself a favor. Rescind. And if you really want Maui consider a Marriott resale or if you must have that resort wait until resales come on the market for less than half retail.

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just sold a 2200 points Hyatt for around 12K.

In a couple of years, when the dust has settled, exchanges will be available through Hyatt. You would feel badly if you had paid 80K for something that someone else had bought for 12k.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a basic assumption, you will only have access to the unit category and specific week you purchased. If you want to stay in a smaller unit, or a different week, you will have to compete with all the other HRC owners who want into Maui.

It's very easy to get caught up "in the moment" as the Hyatt presentation and that property is very slick. But remember, it's a timeshare.

Expect maintenance fees to increase about 5% per year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I just sold a 2200 points Hyatt for around 12K.

In a couple of years, when the dust has settled, exchanges will be available through Hyatt. You would feel badly if you had paid 80K for something that someone else had bought for 12k.

If a person wants Hyatt Ka'anapali, then they need the guarantee they can get unit and view they desire each year.

I am in the category where I can afford whatever I want to buy, but I wouldn't pay that much for something for ocean view and luxury. First, I didn't get here by throwing money away, and second, I don't need fancy-schmancy accommodations.

We bought oceanfront Maui for a few hundred bucks for our deeds at a very ordinary resort. We still cringe and complain when the MF's come due each year, and the fees are very low for West Maui oceanfront. I pay $1680 in fees and taxes for each of our three weeks. And guess what? I cannot rent them for my fees because people have no idea what a bargain it is. So I have to stay there every year. :rofl: Life is tough. I will post a picture of my view on another thread.

NurseDave

Reaction score
Thank you all for the comments and reality check. Yes it was beautiful and we certainly wouldn't mind returning, but maybe not every year. I just emailed to cancel, hope cancelling is also as easy as they make it sound.

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a person wants Hyatt Ka'anapali, then they need the guarantee they can get unit and view they desire each year.

Or they can just rent it directly from Hyatt. I just checked and a one bedroom is approx $700 a night.

After five years of playing the exchange game, which has been a lot of fun, I have not found anywhere I want to go back to other than Maui. So I just bought there too, but to my mind no guaranty of view or season justifies that kind of upfront cost.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the comments and reality check. Yes it was beautiful and we certainly wouldn't mind returning, but maybe not every year. I just emailed to cancel, hope cancelling is also as easy as they make it sound.

Follow the directions to rescind EXACTLY as listed. Do not assume that you can do it by email unless it specifically has instructions to do so.