• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I'm canceling my contract, but no one respond my email

What should I do

• contact the sales person

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

yelloworange

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new here in the tugbbs. Just signed the contract last Saturday. The contract states that to cancel the contract I can mail it OR email some email address. I have sent a formal email to the email address on the contract stating that I am canceling. I didn't contact the sales person. No one responded to my email. Do I have to mail the paper letter? What should I do if no one confirming my canceling status?

Great thanks guys.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Hi guys,

I am new here in the tugbbs. Just signed the contract last Saturday. The contract states that to cancel the contract I can mail it OR email some email address. I have sent a formal email to the email address on the contract stating that I am canceling. I didn't contact the sales person. No one responded to my email. Do I have to mail the paper letter? What should I do if no one confirming my canceling status?

Great thanks guys.
Forward the original email again and cc to your email address so you have a copy. They likely won't respond. How did you pay deposit? What TS company?

yelloworange

Reaction score
Forward the original email again and cc to your email address so you have a copy. They likely won't respond. How did you pay deposit? What TS company?
Thank you for the suggestion, davidvel!

I've paid a portion by credit card, unfortunately. It's the MVC beneficial interest contract.

Why couldn't they reply, how do I know they received it or not, or the contract is actually canceled if I never hear from them.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
how do I know they received it or not, or the contract is actually canceled if I never hear from them.

You don't know. That works out great for Marriott.

What did the rescission instructions in your owner paperwork say? Did you follow these instructions to the letter?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thank you for the suggestion, davidvel!

I've paid a portion by credit card, unfortunately. It's the MVC beneficial interest contract.

Why couldn't they reply, how do I know they received it or not, or the contract is actually canceled if I never hear from them.
Marriott is reputable on cancellations. If the contract says you can cancel via email you are fine. If not you should mail. When you see a credit back on your card it is done.

yelloworange

Reaction score
You don't know. That works out great for Marriott.

What did the rescission instructions in your owner paperwork say? Did you follow these instructions to the letter?
In the contract, they said I can cancel by mailing OR email.

So is there a case that email canceling doesn't work?

I just feel it is tiring printing all those contract papers (and not environmentally friendly :) )

yelloworange

Reaction score
Marriott is reputable on cancellations. If the contract says you can cancel via email you are fine. If not you should mail. When you see a credit back on your card it is done.
Ok, that's good to know that Marriott is reputable on cancellations. Thanks for the info!

I am considering mailing the letter if I never hear from them by email, couldn't take the risk of not successfully canceling it...

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Ok, that's good to know that Marriott is reputable on cancellations. Thanks for the info!

I am considering mailing the letter if I never hear from them by email, couldn't take the risk of not successfully canceling it...
Don't just consider it; do it. And send it certified so you have proof that you sent it (you have literally thousands of dollars on the line).

Everyone who signed the contract must sign the rescission letter.

Marriott has (I believe) 45 days to act and they don't have to keep you informed in the interim. But they will follow the law.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Hi guys,

Great thanks guys.
Mind sharing the TS purchase price? As half of us initially bought developer TS, there is no shame.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I just feel it is tiring printing all those contract papers (and not environmentally friendly :) )
You don’t have to send the contract papers. You write a one page (even a one paragraph) letter that includes the contract #, relevant signatures, stating you are rescinding your purchase. Mail by deadline, keeping proof of sending it. I wouldn’t quibble over a few bucks vs thousands of $. Peace of mind over the email ignore.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The developer is under no obligation to acknowledge receipt of your rescission (email or postal mail). They ARE required to process a timely rescission communication, but with email, you just don't know. With Return Receipt Certified, you know not only THAT it's been received, but who signed for it.

Cheap insurance for your peace of mind.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

The obvious and serious problem with email (even if allowed) is that you have absolutely no idea (or proof) if it was ever even received --- or when --- or by whom --- or what was done with it if / when received. One push of the "delete" butoon at the other end and POOF! -- it's GONE. No thanks. Spend the few bucks involved to send a signed, hard copy rescission letter using USPS certified mail. Too much money is involved here to (very unwisely) rely solely upon on email. Tick Tock....

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Email should be fine. At this point you are probably covered. I would just send a regular stamped envelope with the rescission letter as backup. Add a certificate of mailing. No need for Certified or Registered Mail at this point. It is too slow.

IMO, more important than the method of delivery (email, certified, registered, first class) is using two methods of delivery.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, email is probably fine in this case, but if I were you, I wouldn't be satisfied with "probably" or "should be". I would still send the letter Return Receipt Certified, and do it now during the rescission period. Again, you'll have peace of mind having proof it was sent during the rescission period, plus proof of receipt. With thousands at stake, I would take no chances.

yelloworange

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my inquiry. I truly appreciate your help and suggestions.
I have mailed the letter certified with the return receipt. Got my tracking number and the small green card that proves the mailing.
Initially, I thought the contract was a good thing because it could force me to travel to nice places every year. But after I took a look at their booklet, I found the 2000 points couldn't do much and it cost much more to go to REALLY nice places. Maybe the price of the points has gone up a lot in recent years and the deal doesn't appeal to me.
The main reason I do want to cancel is that this contract is a "liability" for life, although I can afford it, it can go up every year but we don't know by how much increase. From a financial perspective, a liability always makes people feel less free.
So many people helped me here in this post about canceling with quick responses that I never expected. This showed me how active this BBS is and how many good people are here helping others. I really appreciate tugbbs.
Hope I will get good news soon as others with a successful cancellation.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
2,000 points is not very many points.

Where do you want to travel? How much can you spend without financing anything? How many weeks per year can you go for vacations?

We tend to do weeks, 7 nights only.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my inquiry. I truly appreciate your help and suggestions.
I have mailed the letter certified with the return receipt. Got my tracking number and the small green card that proves the mailing.
Initially, I thought the contract was a good thing because it could force me to travel to nice places every year. But after I took a look at their booklet, I found the 2000 points couldn't do much and it cost much more to go to REALLY nice places. Maybe the price of the points has gone up a lot in recent years and the deal doesn't appeal to me.
The main reason I do want to cancel is that this contract is a "liability" for life, although I can afford it, it can go up every year but we don't know by how much increase. From a financial perspective, a liability always makes people feel less free.
So many people helped me here in this post about canceling with quick responses that I never expected. This showed me how active this BBS is and how many good people are here helping others. I really appreciate tugbbs.
Hope I will get good news soon as others with a successful cancellation.
deleted

Last edited: