• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In and Out Burgers?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the end, like every other burger joint, they're just a burger. I once stood in line for a In and Out burger because everyone raved about them. It's just a burger. Sure it's a good burger but, in the end, it's just a hamburger. It's not the holy grail or anything worth standing in line over or driving more than a couple of blocks to get IMHO.

Its a chain . . . .

Wth a single family as owners

Pay there help better wages and get better help

Fresh meat, won't open a restaurant that can't be served daily from their commisary

Fresh Potatoes on site

Fresh Lettuce and tomatoes

Made to order

That being said itls actually been timed as the slowest fast food . .

That's what a hamburgers all about

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In the end, like every other burger joint, they're just a burger. I once stood in line for a In and Out burger because everyone raved about them. It's just a burger. Sure it's a good burger but, in the end, it's just a hamburger. It's not the holy grail or anything worth standing in line over or driving more than a couple of blocks to get IMHO.

The same can be said about any food. A steak is a steak be it from the grossly overrated Ruth Chris's or the almost always outstanding Del Frisco's or Charley's. With enough effort and care, and careful purchase of the meat, it can be done at home on an appropriate grill. But the total experience of the meal and accompanying sides makes the trip and cost of Charley's worth it.

Same with In-N-Out. The consistency, the sides, the options of the "secret menu" and special sauce make it one of a kind. In this case not expensive - quite the reverse - but an experience in fun dining that places like Disney try to recreate - at inflated prices - and fail miserably. They do that because people want that old time service and quality but in Disney's case they are the exact opposite. Places like In-N-Out are truly unique establishments that have built a cult following that appreciates the difference from a mass produced, frozen production line meant to maximize output at the expense of any real flavor vs a home made, quality controlled simple burger done as it was meant to be.

It is not a culinary breakthrough but a simple idea from mid-century 1900's that got lost by most eateries. Worth the trip if just to recall (or learn) how they did it "back then". If all you want is a house burger hop on over to Ralph's, get some ground beef or ground round, buy a package of manufactured buns and maybe a premade bag of salad and toss it on the grill most timeshares offer. I prefer a great home made burger on a fresh made bun with incredible fries and maybe a shake for under $10 any day. YMMV.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
re the fresh fries ....

When I was a sophomore in high school I worked at a McDonalds restaurant in Bloomington, Minnesota (the one on 79th and Nicollet, just south of I-494).

That restaurant was one of the first that McDonalds opened in the midwest. It was originally a walk up window place with the arches over the shop - no indoor seating. The sign out front said "Millions Served". Nicollet was a two-lane read and I-494 hadn't been built yet.

By the time I was hired they had added a covered seating area on the front and two sides. It was all white tile, and unheated. The sign out front now said "More than 100 Million Served". Then it was 200 Million. Then 300 Million. Ultimately it became just "Billions Served".

At that time McDonalds still made french fries from scratch. There was a full time work crew, that worked Monday - Friday, showing up about 10 am to open the restaurant and serve the lunch crowd. That crew stayed around until about seven in the evening after dinner rush. In the afternoon that crew prepared french fries from whole potatoes. They would peel and inspect potatoes, run them through a slicing machine, blanch the fries, and then rack them in the back of the store for later cooking.

At that time McDonalds french fries were as good as you could get anywhere. People would go to McDonalds just to get french fries, because they were so good and the price couldn't be beat.

About three months after I quit, the store switched to frozen french fries. The drop in quality was immediately noticeable. In my circle, when we wanted french fries we no longer went to McDonalds, and in our minds McDonalds was now just another burger joint - which they remain to this day.

When I get the "Inn-N-Out urge" (remember when Inn-N-Out gave out bumper stickers and people would remove the "B" and "r"?) I am reminded of what McDonalds french fries used to be.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The same can be said about any food. A steak is a steak be it from the grossly overrated Ruth Chris's or the almost always outstanding Del Frisco's or Charley's. With enough effort and care, and careful purchase of the meat, it can be done at home on an appropriate grill. But the total experience of the meal and accompanying sides makes the trip and cost of Charley's worth it.

Same with In-N-Out. The consistency, the sides, the options of the "secret menu" and special sauce make it one of a kind. In this case not expensive - quite the reverse - but an experience in fun dining that places like Disney try to recreate - at inflated prices - and fail miserably. They do that because people want that old time service and quality but in Disney's case they are the exact opposite. Places like In-N-Out are truly unique establishments that have built a cult following that appreciates the difference from a mass produced, frozen production line meant to maximize output at the expense of any real flavor vs a home made, quality controlled simple burger done as it was meant to be.

It is not a culinary breakthrough but a simple idea from mid-century 1900's that got lost by most eateries. Worth the trip if just to recall (or learn) how they did it "back then". If all you want is a house burger hop on over to Ralph's, get some ground beef or ground round, buy a package of manufactured buns and maybe a premade bag of salad and toss it on the grill most timeshares offer. I prefer a great home made burger on a fresh made bun with incredible fries and maybe a shake for under $10 any day. YMMV.

I wasn't aware that there were different grades ground meat. Sorry, there is a vast difference between Ryan's steak house and Ruth's Chris steak house. One is a low grade tough piece of meat while the other is a choice cut of beef. Of course, if you cook both until it's as tough as leather, you won't know the difference. One well done, over cooked piece of steak is probably about the same as the other. Tough as shoe leather and tasteless.

A ground hamburger patty cooked until it is over, like it is at In and Out, isn't much better than any other overcooked gound meat patty. Even if you chose ground filet mignon, if you over cook it, you cook all the flavor out of it. In and Out suffers the same fate as most other burger joints. They kill the cow twice.

Now if all you're talking about is the experience of the place, I guess one might find the trip worth it. But the fawn over how great the burger is just bewilders me. It's just a hamburger on a butter toasted bun and not worth the extra effort IMHO. Sure if you're driving by one it's not a bad choice. But it's just nothing to write home about.

ajlm33

TUG Member
Reaction score
In-N-Out, That's what a hamburger's all about.....

It's not the holy grail or anything worth standing in line over or driving more than a couple of blocks to get IMHO.

INFIDEL !!! :D

I grew up and still live only a couple of miles from the birthplace of the Double-Double (Baldwin Park, CA). NOTHING beats an In-N-Out burger, especially one with grilled onions. Also, don't forget the fries and a chocolate shake ! In fact, my wife and I have celebrated our wedding anniversary each year, all 32 of them, with a In-N-Out combo by candlelight. So yes, they are that good....:whoopie:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that there were different grades ground meat. Sorry, there is a vast difference between Ryan's steak house and Ruth's Chris steak house. One is a low grade tough piece of meat while the other is a choice cut of beef. Of course, if you cook both until it's as tough as leather, you won't know the difference. One well done, over cooked piece of steak is probably about the same as the other. Tough as shoe leather and tasteless. h.

Of course there is a monster difference in flavor and texture between a prime and choice grade beef. Thats why people who say "Golden Corral" as an example has a great steak really need to add for the price and grade. It simply isn't in the same class as a true steakhouse with aged, highly graded beef.

We make what we call steak burgers at home - and since we have our own sirloin ground twice for them they are in fact STEAK burgers. Done medium rare on a fresh buttered roll with a touch of steak sauce they are tough to beat. Yet a good In-N-Out comes darn close. and comes with the experience. We gladly stop and in fact may go out of our way to enjoy a good In-N-Out when we're in an area that has them. Well worth the time & effort. Even if it is just a great burger...

Now wasting time and money on frozen, reheated McDonalds or Burger King or even Wendy's (which have gone WAY down in quality over the years) or looking for the true taste/experience at a mock up like a theme park is a total waste of time, effort and money - you're far better off doing your own at the resort or in your kitchen. At that level I couldn't agree with you more - avoid them! But not In-N-Out. It really is a different way to go. Sorry you don't enjoy it but we won't miss you giving up your space in the usually present line. Might get ours a minute or two sooner if you're not ordering ahead of us!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Sorry you don't enjoy it but we won't miss you giving up your space in the usually present line. Might get ours a minute or two sooner if you're not ordering ahead of us!
That's my sentiment exactly!:D

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poor, Doug. Getting flamed for not fully admiring an In-N-Out burger creation. For what it's worth, I do understand his sentiments. It is just a (good) burger but I get a secret thrill walking up to the counter and saying, "make it animal style." ;)

My first experience with In-N-Out was about 20 years ago (give or take). We had taken the children to Disneyland (I believe). Being hungry and tired we saw a burger joint and went through the drive-thru lane--it's just easier that way with tired kids and a long car ride to get back home. So, we were (somewhere) in southern California and I expected the usual burger fare. And maybe that's what we got. I don't remember exactly. I do seem to remember it tasted good. What I do remember is William, the man on the other side of the drive-in window. He actually seemed to want to wait on us and treated us like real human beings not just another car with another order. He had a refreshing and warm smile. I was so impressed just by his attitude that I decided I ought to write his manager a note telling him what a great employee he had in William. I don't remember if I ever wrote that note all those many years ago. I hope I did, but if I didn't . . .

Here's to you, William, you made a difference and it has long been remembered. I still go to In-N-Out from time to time. Sometimes I get a really good meal but more often it seems I just wait in line to order and then wait for a table to clear so I can sit down. Maybe I should stick with the drive-thru. Who knows, maybe I'll meet another William.

M&JJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about Fat Burger?

Whenver we go to Vegas, my wife and I always have a run to the Fat Burger. Its location close to Polo Towers where we own is great and we love their food. Having been to both In and Out as well as Fat Burger, IMO Fat Burger is just as good.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Whenver we go to Vegas, my wife and I always have a run to the Fat Burger. Its location close to Polo Towers where we own is great and we love their food. Having been to both In and Out as well as Fat Burger, IMO Fat Burger is just as good.

We tried it once sand found it extremely unexceptional. No comparison to INO. Much like Fuddruckers vs Red Robin - a big price, semi-well known name but the food was standard to poor fare at best. Red Robin gets big $$$ for burgers but they are very good. Fuddruckers gets about the same price but doesn't come close in quality or taste. We would not go back to Fat Burger or Fuddruckers. We like Red Robin & In-N-Out very much and search them out for a stop when nearby.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Amen! Hoc always talked up Fatburger, so I finally had one, and it didn't do much for me. Now mind, before I moved here, I wasn't that big on burgers other than In and Out. But living here, every tavern has multiple burgers on their menu, usually pretty darn good. And quite often with house made chips. Village pub even has sweet potato tater tots with cinnamon on them!

Fern

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
NOt sure about In and Out, but it amazes me how you can order burgers in The States cooked to order. When I'm asked I always say, "So I don't get E coli."

But that being said, we will have to try it when we're in Vegas in three weeks. We'll have our well-done burgers to see what all the hoopla is about.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience with In and OUt

Burger was OK and I mean just OK.
Could not stand their fries.
Chocolate milk shake was substandard.
Of course, just my taste though my wife felt the same.
Bart

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Of course you couldn't stand the fries. I couldn't stand the "regular" version of their fries, either. You need to pay attention, the regular fries are the pits. You gotta order them "well done." Then they are sensational.

Fern

Bart

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course you couldn't stand the fries. I couldn't stand the "regular" version of their fries, either. You need to pay attention, the regular fries are the pits. You gotta order them "well done." Then they are sensational.

Fern

After having read about "fries well done" here, last night when I was at Red Robin, I asked the waiter if I could have the fries well done (normally I order coleslaw instead). He said, absolutely, no problem.

They came the regular Red Robin way, slightly undercooked. :( They were good with the honey mustard dressing that I requested :cheer: , but I would much rather have tried them "well done." :shrug:

We don't have an "In & Out" in the Seattle area. :annoyed:

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We don't have an "In & Out" in the Seattle area. :annoyed:
But we do have a Counter - this is now my kids favorite burger place. I had a bison burger last Sunday. With both sweet potato fries and regular fries.

The kids still go to Burgerville for shakes, though.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bart

Order the secret menu neapolitan shake :whoopie: YUM

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
But we do have a Counter - this is now my kids favorite burger place. I had a bison burger last Sunday. With both sweet potato fries and regular fries.

The kids still go to Burgerville for shakes, though.

Wow, what a menu! We may have to make a special trip over to Ballard. :)

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. But Dick's burgers has never done anything for me. :shrug:

When Steve, brought up the Counter, I remembered Dick's.

I don't remember the food at Dick's, but I do remember it has been around for a long long time.

I was just curious if it was still around.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a menu! We may have to make a special trip over to Ballard. :)
It's in the same building as the Ballard Trader Joe's. So you can use combining trips as an added justification.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's in the same building as the Ballard Trader Joe's. So you can use combining trips as an added justification.

Steve, is Ballard your closest TJ's?

If so, you have to be dang loyal to TJ's to go all the way from Belly View to Ballard. :)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Steve, is Ballard your closest TJ's?

If so, you have to be dang loyal to TJ's to go all the way from Belly View to Ballard. :)
I'm about equidistant from the TJ's in Overlake (near M$ headquarters) and Issaquah. Neither of those, though, is really that convenient for us - which is probably a good thing.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Steve, brought up the Counter, I remembered Dick's.

I don't remember the food at Dick's, but I do remember it has been around for a long long time.

I was just curious if it was still around.

Dick's does have quite a following.