• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Internet Speed Test

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Is the "speed up your PC feature" safe?

I am on ATT Uverse and it seems really slow to me.

elaine

Those are usually programs to clean up your pc to optimize it, empty cache, delete temp files, clear startup of programs not needed, clean registry, etc - you can get the same free with ccleaner.

To get any significant increase you need new hardware if the computer is slow, or pay for a faster ISP if web pages load slow.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the "speed up your PC feature" safe?

I am on ATT Uverse and it seems really slow to me.

elaine

Elaine, first find out what speed you're paying for (you can get this info when you login to your account online or just look at a recent bill). Then run the speed test from the web site listed above, and see if you're getting what you're paying for. If not, then call them and they can help you troubleshoot. If you are getting the right speed, you'll need to upgrade your service.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave and Scott --- I appreciate the information.

Now to find the ATT bill.

elaine

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave and Scott --- I appreciate the information.

Now to find the ATT bill.

elaine

If you've tossed the bill you can always just contact their tech support and ask what level you're on. They'll be able to quickly tell you and also ensure your speed is adequate for your plan. You might as well run the speed test above to know where you're at before you call though.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wowza! The condo we moved in to was pre-wired for AT&T Fiber. I got the 1000 plan, but can't get close to that over WiFi. Can get much closer on our computer that is hard wired.

8404510241.png

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of factors can affect your speed. We pay for 300 mbs and get that with newer iPads or phones using wi-fi. But, we added an extender to our router using cat 5 wire and do not get high speed. Cat 6 wire is required to get the fastest speed. Attached are the results.

Attachments

• 5DE137EA-C52E-4220-A358-32219865B737.png
    5DE137EA-C52E-4220-A358-32219865B737.png
    202.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 99798302-EDAF-442C-8E48-69C188554565.png
    99798302-EDAF-442C-8E48-69C188554565.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 32

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok! What are good Ping, Download and Upload speeds reading ?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Ok! What are good Ping, Download and Upload speeds reading ?

The ping is the reaction time of your connection–how fast you get a response after you've sent out a request. A fast ping means a more responsive connection, especially in applications where timing is everything (like video games). Ping is measured in milliseconds (ms).

The download speed is how fast you can pull data from the server to you. Most connections are designed to download much faster than they upload, since the majority of online activity, like loading web pages or streaming videos, consists of downloads. Download speed is measured in megabits per second (Mbps).

The upload speed is how fast you send data from you to others. Uploading is necessary for sending big files via email, or in using video-chat to talk to someone else online (since you have to send your video feed to them). Upload speed is measured in megabits per second (Mbps).

So - you want a low ping and high download and upload speeds. Your internet plan controls your speeds - if you pay for basic, they are not going to be as fast as if you pay for premium or super premium. Kind of like the cell plans that throttle back your data speed when you exceed a certain number of GB.