• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Purchased Westin Lagunamar

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I believe they're all sold as Ocean View. See Denise M's Lagunamar page:

http://www.freewebs.com/denisetravels/starwoodnews.htm

(note: Since the above information was posted by Denise, Starwood has adjusted the Plat season Staroptions to 148,100 for the 2 bd LO; 81,000 for the 1 bd prem; 67,100 for the studio)

Good point - but since that was "historical" data - I think I should leave it that way, so we have the original info. for comparison.

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Noooo...we're going to pay it right off. Once it's charged, we'll write a fat check to AMEX. I'm pretty positive we're not paying that much for the EOY portion. The EY figure I gave you is probably before the membership fee. I will try and find out...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sounds like a done deal. But if not, I only charge $5K... lol

Unfortunately - I don't think they are taking into account the loss of value from the Developer price to the price upon resale (what will the future value of the units be? - easily 50-75% less) - of course that only matter if you sell - which is not a selling point the TS salesperson ever discusses.

Added - Looks like the EOY is a 1Bd - and is being purchased to get to 3* Elite (assumed) - sorry... bad idea - 3* is not worth it (we are 3*) - rescind the EOY at least

LR - I was talking the lower MFs at WKV (even EY) by rescinding their EOY Gold at WLR - and then exchanging (Gold Season) into Lagunamar EOY and then exchange wherever (e.g. HI) the other EOY - definitely more bang for the buck.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Noooo...we're going to pay it right off. Once it's charged, we'll write a fat check to AMEX. I'm pretty positive we're not paying that much for the EOY portion. The EY figure I gave you is probably before the membership fee. I will try and find out...

The every other year Maintenance fee is about half the every year MF, unless your EOY week is only a 1 bdm. or a studio.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Good point - but since that was "historical" data - I think I should leave it that way, so we have the original info. for comparison.

I didn't mean to suggest you should change it--I'm all for maintaining the historical record. :) I just wanted to note the change in StarOptions so no one would be confused. I think it's great that you have your webpage which shows the original pricing, etc.

Glorian

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't mean to suggest you should change it--I'm all for maintaining the historical record. :) I just wanted to note the change in StarOptions so no one would be confused. I think it's great that you have your webpage which shows the original pricing, etc.

Glorian

Hi Glorian :hi: - I didn't think you meant that - I just thought some people might wonder why I have out of date info. listed!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe they're all sold as Ocean View.

In phase 2 and phase 3, they will be selling direct ocean front. The inventory for the direct OF limited to a few units. All of phase 1 will be considered OV, but some of them will be very limited OV.

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a done deal. But if not, I only charge $5K... lol

I like the 5k deal! It'd probably be worth our money...hahahaha!!!!

Unfortunately - I don't think they are taking into account the loss of value from the Developer price to the price upon resale (what will the future value of the units be? - easily 50-75% less) - of course that only matter if you sell - which is not a selling point the TS salesperson ever discusses.

Hopefully, we won't sell it in our lifetime, and it'll get passed on. If we hate Starwood, which I doubt, then it'll be a loss. I'm REALLY looking forward to our first trip, whatever that will be!!!

Added - Looks like the EOY is a 1Bd - and is being purchased to get to 3* Elite (assumed) - sorry... bad idea - 3* is not worth it (we are 3*) - rescind the EOY at least

It's a studio....

LR - I was talking the lower MFs at WKV (even EY) by rescinding their EOY Gold at WLR - and then exchanging (Gold Season) into Lagunamar EOY and then exchange wherever (e.g. HI) the other EOY - definitely more bang for the buck.

What are the MF's at WKV? Just curious....

Hey...as a ts owner, will Starwood be "hitting us up" for more stuff??? I think I remember them saying that once in a while they have owner tours w/specials, etc. What are they talking about???

Also, is the 85,000 SP's for $1800 worth it?

Thanks, David & Robin! (Is it David or Robin that's been posting? I assume David!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

2Bd EY ~= $1200

Hey...as a ts owner, will Starwood be "hitting us up" for more stuff??? I think I remember them saying that once in a while they have owner tours w/specials, etc. What are they talking about???

Yes, they will try to sell you an additional t/s EVERY time you visit.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

I am doing an "owners special" in Orlando staying 2 bedroom at SVV villiages for 5 nights at $199 total plus free 2 adult tickets to theme park, we choose seaworld plus Aquatica.

Oh and have to do an owner's update.:rolleyes:

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score

/QUOTE]

I am doing an "owners special" in Orlando staying 2 bedroom at SVV villiages for 5 nights at $199 total plus free 2 adult tickets to theme park, we choose seaworld plus Aquatica.

Oh and have to do an owner's update.:rolleyes:

I received this offer I think they even throw in a $50 gas card.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's a studio.

Ok - then you have an EY 2 bdm. at $1,347 a year
and an EOY studio at $371.00 a year
Total - $1,718 a year.

What are your plans for the studio?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Also, is the 85,000 SP's for $1800 worth it?

It depends on what you'll use those StarPoints for. The best bang for your buck is usually hotel rewards, with the lower tiered hotels and/or the Cash & Points option usually giving you your best value. But you need to research it on your own because only you know your likely travel destinations.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/redeem/point_comparison.html

If you want to convert to airline miles, 85,000 SPs will get you 105,000 miles on most airlines (see link below for the chart). Go to your favorite airlines' website and see what the miles will get you, knowing that Delta, Alaska, and Hawaiian Airlines have all just revamped their award structures, and the other airlines will undoubtedly follow suit soon.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/transfer/airline_partner_list.html

I'm using Delta as my sample airline because it's my usual airline. Armed with that 105k miles, I look at Delta's award chart on their website to see what 105k miles could get me. Getting to Cancun on Delta will now cost 35 -70k miles/seat for coach and 60k - 140k miles/seat for firstclass. Or I could take $1000 off my ticket using "Pay for Miles." Now I need to compare the cost if I simply booked the tickets outright. Using sample travel dates 1/30-2/6/09, I could get a fare of $725 for coach and $1300 for first class from Cincinnati to Cancun. So in my scenario, paying $1800 for the 105k miles is not worth it as the best case scenario is breaking even.

Your mileage may vary. And that is why it's important for you to do some leg work and number crunching to determine what's best for you.

Last edited:

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok - then you have an EY 2 bdm. at $1,347 a year
and an EOY studio at $371.00 a year
Total - $1,718 a year.

What are your plans for the studio?

We want it for:

A) The option to wait for July 1st to dump it. This is huge for my husband.
B) To use it as an extra piece....some years we will go away w/another couple and use the entire 2 bdrm lockoff. If we have the piece we can deposit it into II and have an extra week somewhere...
C) To use w/in SVO - if my husband want to go away for a few nights here and there, we will still have our 2 bedroom lockoff...

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We want it for:

A) The option to wait for July 1st to dump it. This is huge for my husband.

Frankly, this is not the best option, because the 13,000 Starpoints will only get you 1 or 2 nights in most nicer hotels. Since your MF is $371 - I don't think that's a great value. But I am not a fan of converting to points.

B) To use it as an extra piece....some years we will go away w/another couple and use the entire 2 bdrm lockoff. If we have the piece we can deposit it into II and have an extra week somewhere...

This could be a very good deal for you, especially if you are flexible - I know we've bombarded you with info. but when you deposit a Starwood property with II, you have a 3 day priority for other Starwood properties on the II website and often can even upgrade to a larger unit.

C) To use w/in SVO - if my husband want to go away for a few nights here and there, we will still have our 2 bedroom lockoff...

Remember that you can only reserve stays of less than a week at 90 days out, but this will work off-season at lower demand resorts.

Exchanging it with II probably has the most value, since it's not worth a lot of Starpoints or Staroptions.

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly, this is not the best option, because the 13,000 Starpoints will only get you 1 or 2 nights in most nicer hotels. Since your MF is $371 - I don't think that's a great value. But I am not a fan of converting to points.

This could be a very good deal for you, especially if you are flexible - I know we've bombarded you with info. but when you deposit a Starwood property with II, you have a 3 day priority for other Starwood properties on the II website and often can even upgrade to a larger unit.

Remember that you can only reserve stays of less than a week at 90 days out, but this will work off-season at lower demand resorts.

Exchanging it with II probably has the most value, since it's not worth a lot of Starpoints or Staroptions.

Exactly! If we want to go to Palm Springs in February for the weekend last minute, we'll probably be able to. We live less than 90 minutes from there...also a short plane ride away from Phoenix!

Is that the amount of Starpoints we are getting? I thought it was 15,000 or even more...I'll check....also, we will have the option to turn our 2 bedroom lockoff into starpoints w/the Elite status...the July 1st date will work w/both the EY and EYO once you're Elite, right? If not, then we definitely have an issue!

Thanks again for looking out for me. I appreciate all of the comments!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is that the amount of Starpoints we are getting? I thought it was 15,000 or even more...I'll check....

I am basing my post on this Starwood Chart - Westin Lagunamar

Which shows:

2 bdm. lock-off Plat - 148,100 Staroptions, 72,000 Starpoints

Studio EOY Gold - 37,000 Staroptions, 13,000 Starpoints

Be careful converting to Starpoints. If you stay at your home resort, you can stay in your timeshare for 3 weeks. If you convert it all to Starpoints - it's only going to get you a week or 10 days in a standard hotel room. I can see converting the studio for a weekend in a hotel, but converting the whole thing to Starpoints is not your best value, because the nicer Starwood hotels are 12,000 points a night and up.

Last edited:

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we're only getting 22,000 Staroptions. Are they screwing us? Maybe I'm wrong...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think we're only getting 22,000 Staroptions. Are they screwing us? Maybe I'm wrong...

Staroptions and Starpoints are the same for every owner of a particular unit - the developer can't change those during the purchase. The link I listed above is from Starwood - it should be accurate. Plus, there is no unit at Lagunamar that has 22,000 Staroptions, according the the chart.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just asked my husband. For the EOY studio we are getting:

22,000 Starpoints
37,000 Staroptions

Is that on your contract, because according to the chart, Gold Studios have 13,000 Starpoints and Plat Studios have 22,000 Starpoints. Did you look at the chart I posted?

Also - just to clarify - I'm talking about the yearly (or EOY in this case) Starpoint value of your studio, not any incentive points you may have received as part of the sale.

Last edited:

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that on your contract, because according to the chart, Gold Studios have 13,000 Starpoints and Plat Studios have 22,000 Starpoints. Did you look at the chart I posted?

Also - just to clarify - I'm talking about the yearly (or EOY in this case) Starpoint value of your studio, not any incentive points you may have received as part of the sale.

Yes, it is in our contract.

Also, yes, it's in the yearly, the SP value of the studio. The incentive points we received are 15,000. We got all of this in writing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it is in our contract.

Also, yes, it's in the yearly, the SP value of the studio. The incentive points we received are 15,000. We got all of this in writing.

That's interesting.... If your contract says you got 22K SP's a year - then the salesman may have made an error writing it up and given you the SP's for for a Plat week, instead of a gold week.

It will be interesting to see how that pans out and if Starwood will honor it, or if they will catch it during closing. It's an error in your favor, so you may just want to see what happens.

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's interesting.... If your contract says you got 22K SP's a year - then the salesman may have made an error writing it up and given you the SP's for for a Plat week, instead of a gold week.

It will be interesting to see how that pans out and if Starwood will honor it, or if they will catch it during closing. It's an error in your favor, so you may just want to see what happens.

Should we ask about it? Or keep our quiet about it? I think the salesperson was pretty new, since she had to keep putting us on hold to ask her manager.