• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Been on keto since august (healthy keto / higher protein) down 40 pounds. Keto can be great but not for everyone. The low card thing worked well for me. I’ve been able to turn down many things that I would crave. I just turned down my favorite cupcake. I went to universal studios and navigated theme park food easily as well. I thought that would have been a challenge. I did have a hot butter beer though, that was my splurge day ha.

I’ve also began baking and cooking with almond flour and monkfruit sweetener and everything comes out really good.
I tried keto and didn't work for me but I admit I didn't work that hard at it. I always gave up after feeling sorry for myself because I felt deprived. That is the one thing I didn't feel on Optavia because the bars are sweet and so are the cereal and the brownie. I enjoy the shakes, too, with a little squirt of Jordan's Skinny Syrup (salted caramel flavor). That brand of syrup, also butter toffee, are in my coffee and my pancake, too. I like sweet.

I am at goal. On Optavia, you are supposed to count all spices, dressings, sauces, creamer, and sweeteners as condiments. I didn't go that far. To me, it was rather silly to count those things. I still lost 82 pounds in about 14 months. When people talk on our FB page for the program about how they need sweet, white coffee, I keep my mouth shut because I know my coach's coach would not appreciate me telling people to go ahead and have those condiments. My coach knows, my coach's coach, she is a tough lady and would tell me to skip all of that stuff.

My daughter makes butter beer just like Universal. I think it's cream, cream soda and caramel ice cream topping. Easy to make at home. If you could find SF ice cream topping and diet cream soda, you could be golden on keto. Lots of copycat recipes out there.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I tried keto and didn't work for me but I admit I didn't work that hard at it. I always gave up after feeling sorry for myself because I felt deprived. That is the one thing I didn't feel on Optavia because the bars are sweet and so are the cereal and the brownie. I enjoy the shakes, too, with a little squirt of Jordan's Skinny Syrup (salted caramel flavor). That brand of syrup, also butter toffee, are in my coffee and my pancake, too. I like sweet.

I am at goal. On Optavia, you are supposed to count all spices, dressings, sauces, creamer, and sweeteners as condiments. I didn't go that far. To me, it was rather silly to count those things. I still lost 82 pounds in about 14 months. When people talk on our FB page for the program about how they need sweet, white coffee, I keep my mouth shut because I know my coach's coach would not appreciate me telling people to go ahead and have those condiments. My coach knows, my coach's coach, she is a tough lady and would tell me to skip all of that stuff.

My daughter makes butter beer just like Universal. I think it's cream, cream soda and caramel ice cream topping. Easy to make at home. If you could find SF ice cream topping and diet cream soda, you could be golden on keto. Lots of copycat recipes out there.

I def need to try the keto butter beer

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Been on keto since august (healthy keto / higher protein) down 40 pounds. Keto can be great but not for everyone. The low card thing worked well for me. I’ve been able to turn down many things that I would crave. I just turned down my favorite cupcake. I went to universal studios and navigated theme park food easily as well. I thought that would have been a challenge. I did have a hot butter beer though, that was my splurge day ha.

I’ve also began baking and cooking with almond flour and monkfruit sweetener and everything comes out really good.
Congratulations on the weight loss. Whereas I wasn’t on Keto I am on lower carb, not having more 20 during a meal. Keeping carbs limited and sugar 4 g or under makes me not have cravings. I have easily kept my weight off for months and lost a few more.

As far as cupcakes I found a brand Smartcake. 38 calories, 0 sugar and 9 g of carbs. maybe too high for keto but once off a great option. I actually scoop out the center and fill with whip cream having a cupcake that satisfies for under 70 calories.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Went to the dentist this past Thursday. My blood pressure was crazy high. I assume I need to add some aerobic activity to my life. I have maintained my low weight, 82 pounds lost, but high blood pressure, losing my hair, and all of this extra skin, I am hoping exercise will take care of all of those concerns My BP was 190 over 110. Rick took it when we got home and it was a lot lower, but still pretty high for someone who is supposedly healthier. Here I come, exercise bike I bought like 5 years ago and rarely use.
I started losing hair, went into maintenance phase immediately and increased my fat intake and the problem was solve. As far as skin I find moisturizing helps a lot.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Has anyone tried the Built Bars? SO GOOD! I love those things. I bought the pumpkin one and didn't really love it, but it was okay. It tasted like a spice that I recognize, but I don't know what it is. Cloves or something? But the double chocolate and the salted caramel are delicious. Rick liked the cherry, and I know he would really love the orange one, but he would just let them sit there so I decided not to bother buying him a box of bars that only he would eat. They would get stale. I ordered a bunch more boxes. I even ordered the cookies and cream. I try to stick to 130 calories or less for the bars. They have quite a few that are over that amount.

I have so much food to take to Maui in February. We are going for 5 weeks and 5 days. It's a long time to be away from the kitchen cupboards and my foods I love. I am thinking of ordering Built Bars to be delivered to Hono Koa. We are there two weeks. I have a long list of foods I already need to bring, things I know I am not guaranteed to get on Maui. But our friends are going first, and I asked them to watch for things that I really need to have, like pancake mix (Birch Benders or Kodiak Power Cakes) and riced cauliflower. I know Costco will have mozzarella and parmesan and cheddar cheese.

I think there is a 20% discount on Built Bars right now.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
According to Dr. Andersen's Habits of Health Facebook group, there is an article in a current issue of People magazine that talks about Optavia. I am hoping to see the article. I just know it's not in the 12/28 issue, which I have from Helen's house. She subscribed to that magazine, so lots of issues in my possession. It's apparently in the "I lost half of my weight," issue of the magazine. I didn't have half of my weight to lose, but imagine losing that much in a single year. Some people are doing it. Kind of crazy.

I still believe the key is eating 90-130 calories 5 times a day and a nice dinner with no simple carbs (no potatoes and no bread). So 5-7 ounces of lean meat and 3 servings of vegetables. Never go to bed without eating 2-3 hours after dinner. That should be one of your "fuelings." Keeping the body fueled is key.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The article is going to be in the 1/11/2021 issue. I will be watching. It's funny that I was told that mentioning Optavia was against the rules, not allowed, never supposed to be out in social media, and I forgot that I promised that to my coach's coach. Then I mentioned it once on FB and many times here, but my coach's coach saw it and unfriended me on FB, then she apologized later because my coach told her that my number of friends wasn't huge, so not a lot of people would see it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The article is going to be in the 1/11/2021 issue. I will be watching. It's funny that I was told that mentioning Optavia was against the rules, not allowed, never supposed to be out in social media, and I forgot that I promised that to my coach's coach. Then I mentioned it once on FB and many times here, but my coach's coach saw it and unfriended me on FB, then she apologized later because my coach told her that my number of friends wasn't huge, so not a lot of people would see it.
They never told me I couldn’t say it and if they did I would not listen. We pay a premium price to get the fuels on the program and should be able to share it with whoever we choose. The program was a lifesaver, amazing to me I lost over 50 pounds last year mostly on Optavia, a bit on WW. I have been procrastinating losing more, start and then stop a few days later. I feel and look good so not as important and I have been able to not gain. I do want another 10-20 pounds off. Surprisingly nothing came off my bra cup size, it increased Thus hoping more weight loss will reduce it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the weight loss. Whereas I wasn’t on Keto I am on lower carb, not having more 20 during a meal. Keeping carbs limited and sugar 4 g or under makes me not have cravings. I have easily kept my weight off for months and lost a few more.

As far as cupcakes I found a brand Smartcake. 38 calories, 0 sugar and 9 g of carbs. maybe too high for keto but once off a great option. I actually scoop out the center and fill with whip cream having a cupcake that satisfies for under 70 calories.
I just looked up Smartcake. No can do for me. Sugar alcohol gives me horrible diarrhea and keeps me in the toilet for at least 4 hours. It is worse than eating wheat gluten.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just looked up Smartcake. No can do for me. Sugar alcohol gives me horrible diarrhea and keeps me in the toilet for at least 4 hours. It is worse than eating wheat gluten.
Doesn’t affect me at all. I keep it down to only having one.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sugar alcohol gives me gas. It's embarrassing at times. TMI.

I don't know why a person cannot share Optavia on the net, except Amber did say that there is a lot of negative info about the program by people who were not successful, so an internet search of the program could come up with some negative information.

Since I have mostly been eating Built Bars, yogurt, and protein pancakes, just one or two Optavia fuelings each day, and I haven't gained any weight, I have to say that this program has taught me well about portions and eating six times a day. I would love to lose another 10 pounds. It would put me at an ideal weight, but if I don't lose it, no big deal. I can live with this weight.

I did start taking biotin for my hair. I found a chewable at Costco. Tastes like smarties candy but without the sugar (has artificial sweetener).

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
On Hilton Head through the end of February. Wish I brought my scale with me. Our lifestyle is pretty stable so it shouldn’t be an issue. I’m a regular scale checker though and feeling withdrawal not watching the numbers.

We loaded boxes of boxed goods, cans and staples from the kitchen to use. We even emptied the Butcher Box meat from freezer and carried down to DD’s in a cooler. Made some nice meals for them during our stop at their house.

Splurged with a carry out from Crazy Crab on NYE. It was good but the next day I had painful sinus pressure between my eyes. My suspicion is the hush puppies. Wine or beer would have caused that reaction but we didn’t have either.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Love driving trips because I can take whatever I want with me.

We leave for FL on Friday, staying in Panama City, then two weeks at Disney's Old Key West. We were originally driving but SW was $49 each way to Orlando. I couldn't resist that deal. Denver to Orlando is usually over $100 each way. Rick is not looking forward to sitting on a SW plane again. But oh well! I rented a car for 3 weeks for $420 total. That is a good deal, and the price is going down. We will hit Costco on our way to Panama City. I doubt we will go to many restaurants that first week. Rick has never enjoyed going out, and I feel better not going out.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Sugar alcohol gives me gas. It's embarrassing at times. TMI.

I don't know why a person cannot share Optavia on the net, except Amber did say that there is a lot of negative info about the program by people who were not successful, so an internet search of the program could come up with some negative information.

Since I have mostly been eating Built Bars, yogurt, and protein pancakes, just one or two Optavia fuelings each day, and I haven't gained any weight, I have to say that this program has taught me well about portions and eating six times a day. I would love to lose another 10 pounds. It would put me at an ideal weight, but if I don't lose it, no big deal. I can live with this weight.

I did start taking biotin for my hair. I found a chewable at Costco. Tastes like smarties candy but without the sugar (has artificial sweetener).
I’ve been in keto and boy do the sugar alcohols do the same BUT I’ve made some amazing cakes and sweets! I’m down 45 pounds and I hit a goal In the back of my mind never thought I’d hit. I’ve made a new goal and I AM PASSING IT! High protein keto has worked for me. I don’t miss carbs at all. I also started cardio and will introduce a carb up day. I’m thinking Sunday pasta day and sushi for lunch.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I did something new and so unlike the obese me! Rick and I celebrated our anniversary (48 years) hiking the Pipiwai Trail on Maui at Haleakala National Park. I would never have been able to do it at 238 pounds, but at 158 pounds, I did it. It was still tough because I am always that person who is very "unsure-footed." I have sprained my ankles so many times in my life that my ankles, especially my right ankle, really hates me when I do a lot of walking. I am so glad to say that I can do things that I never could before.

Thanks to the program I found, I don't have to take a book anymore and sit in the car, while the family goes on these hikes. I can go, and if it gets to be too much for me, I can always turn back and go down slowly. Our daughter was so proud that I got to the waterfall and saw the edge of the bamboo forest. This is me on the way back down, and Rick is helping me get down. I was so worried I would slip in the mud.

1616712859733.png

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The two of us at the waterfall. I feel like I am melting in this picture because my clothes were soaking wet with perspiration. My hair was dripping wet.

1616713047802.png

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
Congratulations!!! That’s a great accomplishment. Continue to enjoy the new you. It appears your husband and daughter are very supportive. That’s really wonderful.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Buy Trek Sticks. They come in so handy for all hiking. They are light weight and collapse down to fit in most medium suitcases. Now Patti and I each have a set. We did the 4 miles (each way) on the Hanakapiai Trail to the Waterfall on Kauai without them. Boy that was a lot of work. When we hiked down into Kilauea on Hawaii I had my Sticks but Patti did not. That was our last hike without both of us having our Sticks.

Now back onto topic. Back in Janaury 2019 I was up to 255 pounds. Over the past 26 months I have lost 32 pounds. I did not change what I eat. My Jeans have gone from size 40 to size 36. No special diet. I reduced my intake and increased my walking. Having a GSP that wants to go to the several hundred acre Dog Park every day helps. I will walk +/- 1.5 miles per day while he covers 2 to 3 miles running in the fields and trails.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Cindy! I love success stories. You sure have been committed for the long haul.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations Cindy! I love success stories. You sure have been committed for the long haul.
I did! I still eat less calories per day than an average person. I eat six meals a day, and five of them are 120-130 calories and are an equal balance of carbs and protein. I love Built Bars and any yogurt that meets the under 120 calories limit.

I added a small potato or about 1/2 C of rice to my dinner occasionally, but not something I do on a regular basis. I mostly still eat "lean and green" dinners with 3 servings of vegetables and 5-7 ounces of protein. I still follow the guidelines in the book.

The thing with me is I was overweight for 27 years, mostly. I had a health issue in 2004-2005 that caused drastic weight loss. That was the thinnest I had been during that time, and I was 30 pounds heavier than I am now.

I hope I didn't gain weight on this six-week Maui trip. I will know on Sunday, our return back home and back to the scale. I didn't have candy or anything, but I did have fish and chips 3-4 times. I also ate fish tacos at Leilani's.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Back from Maui for almost four weeks. I had gained 10 pounds, but I lost it, finally, weighed in today. Most of it was water. Too many carbs, and carbs hold onto water. Get rid of the carbs and the water leaves your body. I did eat fish and chips a few times on Maui.

I hope you all noticed that I married up. Rick is a looker. And he is my best friend and best supporter throughout this journey to health. He says we go on the hike again next year. Okay, okay, I will do it again. Maybe on our 49th wedding anniversary next year. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What's a gout diet?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
What's a gout diet?

Certain foods are high in purines. If your body processes them into uric acid at high rate (or your body has a hard time getting rid of uric acid), uric acid will build up in the joints and can cause pain.

Shellfish, beef, pork, turkey, high fructose corn syrup, beans and certain veggies. I’ve had so much chicken that I’ve been clucking.

The low fat diet has been great for my waistline.