• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for Ideas for Winter Travel w nice views

Tahiya

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are taking the grandkids to our usual early winter haunt (Palm Desert) during spring break 2025, so are looking for someplace else to visit during early December or January for a couple of weeks. I am disabled, so no longer ski. I would like to stay somewhere that has beautiful views from the living room or bedroom. We live in Portland, Oregon, and would likely drive, but could also fly. We visit Hawaii every even year, so aren't really looking to go there in 2025. We're mostly looking for someplace cozy where we can hang out in the unit and enjoy looking at the great outdoors. We're not into shopping for nicknacks, but enjoy art galleries and some museums. We will mostly cook in the unit or get delivery from restaurants. Where would you go to meet these desires? What timeshare (if any) would you recommend? We would most likely be exchanging in if it's not Worldmark, so it seems likely we would get one of the less desirable units.

We have timeshares that trade through GPX, RCI, Interval, and Trading Places.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm prejudiced, I would recommend Santa Fe, NM.

Currently through RCI there is availability in January at Otra Vez (great location very close to the Plaza), Worldmark, and Villas de Santa Fe. The only one of these we haven't stayed at is the Worldmark.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Tahiya, we've thoroughly enjoyed winter vacations in Santa Fe, NM, Sedona, AZ, and St George, UT. Views from inside the units really vary (we've had a couple of units that look at fences/walls), but the locations are incredibly beautiful! We don't ski anymore either, but we love hiking and never tire of the gorgeous scenery. All of those locations have Worldmark/Wyndham resorts.

If you like a more metropolitan area with lots of art galleries and museums, Phoenix/Scottsdale is a great place to stay for a few weeks. Again, you'll find Worldmark/Wyndham resorts there. My personal favorites there (so far) are the Four Seasons Troon/Scottsdale, Westin Kierland, and Sheraton Desert Oasis, which all trade in Interval.

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
Sedona,AZ, even looks beautiful with snow on the red rocks.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
@Tahiya, we've thoroughly enjoyed winter vacations in Santa Fe, NM, Sedona, AZ, and St George, UT. Views from inside the units really vary (we've had a couple of units that look at fences/walls), but the locations are incredibly beautiful! We don't ski anymore either, but we love hiking and never tire of the gorgeous scenery. All of those locations have Worldmark/Wyndham resorts.

If you like a more metropolitan area with lots of art galleries and museums, Phoenix/Scottsdale is a great place to stay for a few weeks. Again, you'll find Worldmark/Wyndham resorts there. My personal favorites there (so far) are the Four Seasons Troon/Scottsdale, Westin Kierland, and Sheraton Desert Oasis, which all trade in Interval.
Santa Fe has more art galleries and museums. :D

Just one opinion:

"Travel + Leisure magazine recently posted an article, “The 10 Best Cities in the World for Art Lovers,” based on the United Kingdom financial website's 2021 survey. Santa Fe ranked #7 overall, with only two U.S. cities ranking higher: Miami at #2 and San Francisco in the #5 spot."

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Why not drive out to the Oregon Coast? Newport can be tremendous fun, and stormy weather can be beautful.

Dave

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
My view this morning from Marriotts Oceana Palms in S. Florida

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpeg
    IMG_1657.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 5

free2travel

Reaction score
We are taking the grandkids to our usual early winter haunt (Palm Desert) during spring break 2025, so are looking for someplace else to visit during early December or January for a couple of weeks. I am disabled, so no longer ski. I would like to stay somewhere that has beautiful views from the living room or bedroom. We live in Portland, Oregon, and would likely drive, but could also fly. We visit Hawaii every even year, so aren't really looking to go there in 2025. We're mostly looking for someplace cozy where we can hang out in the unit and enjoy looking at the great outdoors. We're not into shopping for nicknacks, but enjoy art galleries and some museums. We will mostly cook in the unit or get delivery from restaurants. Where would you go to meet these desires? What timeshare (if any) would you recommend? We would most likely be exchanging in if it's not Worldmark, so it seems likely we would get one of the less desirable units.

Sedona & Carmel area come to mind

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Sedona & Carmel area come to mind
Good idea. We were in Sedona for Thanksgiving one year and paired it with a week in Tucson at Starr Pass; the Shell timeshare. I really liked both. The latter were 2 BR lockouts built into a hillside in a very pleasant setting. The first part of that Thanksgiving week was almost too hot and then a cold snap (snow/ice in the Seattle/Portland area) came in and the temps dropped to almost too cold. For a Jan stay in Sedona one year, a big snowstorm came in the week before and we probably wouldn't have been able to get there is we had that week. The week we were there was beautiful with snow around, but melting. Jan is low season in Sedona, or at least was, with many of the shops closed down and less traffic than usual.
The Hyatt at Carmel would also be a great option that time of year.
For drive to locations, your WM resorts probably offer the best views so I'm assuming you are looking for something different. Maybe one of the resorts at Sunriver, like VI's The Pines. Some of the buildings have a view of the golf course but all are very close to a very scenic part of the bike path near the lodge; suitable for a walker or wheelchair short trip.
In the WM system; Victoria? You can't beat the view over the Inner Harbor. Drive up to Birch Bay for a stopover and then cross the border and take the ferry from Tswassen; it's a beautiful ride through the Gulf Islands.
I love these kind of threads. They are great for adding to my 'list' so let us know where you end up going.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

The best views we ever had in the winter was the Worldmark Depoe Bay. Our two bed unit was about 15 ft off the rocks and on the second floor. While we had just missed a storm, the ocean wasn't calm and the waves were breaking below us. There was a gas fireplace. I doubt there is anything closer to the waves in Oregon than this place.

The Inn at Otter Rock has really nice views and you can book these off their website. I use Vacation Internationale inventory.

The Embarcadero has nice views of Yaquina Bay. You can book these off their website. I use Vacation Internationale inventory.

The Worldmark Ocean Shores has really nice views. The Worldmark Victoria has nice views. Both also had gas fire places.

All of these coastal areas will be cool wet weather but between storms its really awesome blue skies and nice. You might take a look at the Inn at Spanish Head in Lincoln City. It's not a timeshare but has excellent views and you could book a room off their website.

Bill

Tahiya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses! I'll look further into the Arizona and NM ideas. Getting into Hyatt Highlands Inn would also be terrific! We usually spend a few days in the winter at Depoe Bay--especially during king tides. Watching the waves crash is awesome!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is our third trip to St George in January, and we again lucked out with gorgeous weather and views while hiking in Zion!

IMG_2456.jpeg

Last edited: