• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for Input… [ Hilton ]

Benny23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Max
Hello all! I’m wanting some advice on a situation I’m in. I have a timeshare with Hilton the HGV Max program. My wife and I own it already but don’t really use it much. We don’t want to keep paying maintenance fees on it since we don’t use it much. Should we sell it or try renting it out or just give it away? Thanks for the help!

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hello all! I’m wanting some advice on a situation I’m in. I have a timeshare with Hilton the HGV Max program. My wife and I own it already but don’t really use it much. We don’t want to keep paying maintenance fees on it since we don’t use it much. Should we sell it or try renting it out or just give it away? Thanks for the help!

Without knowing more, I'd say try renting it. Book a good week and list it here on TUG, RedWeek.com, and maybe eBay.

You may change your mind about disposing of it so renting is a way to kick the can down the road. Selling and giving it away are irreversible actions, which one should try to avoid.

This is at the top of the page: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/h...meshare-timeshare-rental-guide-for-owners.43/

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Need more information. Is there a loan? What are the Maintenance Fees? How many Points? Are you sure it is MAX? MAX has only been around a couple years. MAX is basically an exchange program between HGVC/DRI/BlueGreen. So what is your basic Resort?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Since you own it already, and getting out of it would likely mean having to give it away for free (assuming it is already paid off), why don’t you learn how to use it and maximize your ownership?

TUG is the right place to learn and ask questions from owners who are getting maximum value themselves.

Benny23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Max
Need more information. Is there a loan? What are the Maintenance Fees? How many Points? Are you sure it is MAX? MAX has only been around a couple years. MAX is basically an exchange program between HGVC/DRI/BlueGreen. So what is your basic Resort?
There is no loan and the maintenance fees are about $1,100 a year. We signed up for it when it was pretty new a year and a half ago at the Mystic Dunes Resort in Florida.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
There is no loan and the maintenance fees are about $1,100 a year. We signed up for it when it was pretty new a year and a half ago at the Mystic Dunes Resort in Florida.
Nice resort but it isn't HGVC. Rather, it is HVC (formerly Diamond Resorts).

Second thought: you bought it at Mystic Dunes. Is that where you own?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also think it is HGVC . Please check HGVC website,

Benny23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Max
Nice resort but it isn't HGVC. Rather, it is HVC (formerly Diamond Resorts).

Second thought: you bought it at Mystic Dunes. Is that where you own?
I did buy it there but don’t own there. We got an allowance of points yearly that we get to spend at any Hilton resort around the work.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Do you own HVC or HGVC? It sounds like you are in HVC (formerly DRI).

Btw, you don't own HGV Max. That is just an exchange program between HVC and HGVC. If you own trust points (or just points) then you are probably in HVC. This is important to figure out because it will make a big difference on the answer to your question..

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I did buy it there but don’t own there. We got an allowance of points yearly that we get to spend at any Hilton resort around the work.
You need to look at your deed to fully understand what you own. I suspect you purchased into the Diamond US Collection. Which is now considered Hilton Vacation Club but is different than Hilton Grand Vacations Club. If that is what it is, it will have $0 resale value.

Benny23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Max
You need to look at your deed to fully understand what you own. I suspect you purchased into the Diamond US Collection. Which is now considered Hilton Vacation Club but is different than Hilton Grand Vacations Club. If that is what it is, it will have $0 resale value.
So I’m looking at it right now I did purchase through a diamond resort us collection which was at the mystic dunes location. It also says I am an hgv max member. I’ll attach a picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 37

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Btw, you don't own HGV Max. That is just an exchange program between HVC and HGVC.
In fact, HGV Max doesn't transfer to the new owners when/if you sell whatever you purchased.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So you own in the US Collection formerly DRI now HVC. MAX in its most basic terms simply is an internal exchange so that you can Book into HGVC Resorts with your HVC Points within 6 months of checkin date. As another has said if you sale this ownership MAX does not transfer. So the buyer would ONLY have the ability to Book into US collection Resorts of HVC.

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without knowing more, I'd say try renting it. Book a good week and list it here on TUG, RedWeek.com, and maybe eBay.

Club rules only allow you to rent out your home week reservation. This is an important distinction.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club rules only allow you to rent out your home week reservation. This is an important distinction.

I know but HVC (former Diamond) resorts don't have a Home Week. OP owns HVC, not HGVC, an even more important distinction.

Benny23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Max
So in other words it really isn’t worth getting rid of it since most of the amenities won’t transfer over. I might as well keep it and use it then.

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know but HVC (former Diamond) resorts don't have a Home Week. OP owns HVC, not HGVC, an even more important distinction.
This is the HGVC forum (the most important distinction of all!) so I will quote HGVC rules. Doing otherwise is likely to cause confusion. ;)

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the HGVC forum (the most important distinction of all!) so I will quote HGVC rules. Doing otherwise is likely to cause confusion. ;)

Seems that the forum became irrelevant when OP posted in the wrong one. But, that's okay. You hang in there citing clearly inapplicable rules. I'm sure OP was happy to hear about Home Weeks when he doesn't have one. No possibility of confusion there.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So in other words it really isn’t worth getting rid of it since most of the amenities won’t transfer over. I might as well keep it and use it then.
That is what I would do. Move past the big upfront spend and learn to use what you have. Most people here started out the same way, buying retail direct from the developer. You have something that has a good amount of flexibility within the Hilton Vacation Club set of resorts as well as the ability to book Hilton Grand Vacations Club at six months. Just set your expectations right and you should do fine with what you have. Just don't go to another presentation and "upgrade". That is what they will try next. Just avoid sales.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, one can make reservations of any length for "friends." The definition of "friends" is an important distinction as well....just for sake of completeness.

Cheers.

Benny23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Max
That is what I would do. Move past the big upfront spend and learn to use what you have. Most people here started out the same way, buying retail direct from the developer. You have something that has a good amount of flexibility within the Hilton Vacation Club set of resorts as well as the ability to book Hilton Grand Vacations Club at six months. Just set your expectations right and you should do fine with what you have. Just don't go to another presentation and "upgrade". That is what they will try next. Just avoid sales.
I appreciate the help! Now would you be able to give me another thread to follow where I can learn to maneuver this thing better 😂

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I appreciate the help! Now would you be able to give me another thread to follow where I can learn to maneuver this thing better 😂
Take a look at the "Hilton Vacation Club - Diamond Resorts" forum.
It's dedicated to folks who have HVC-DRI memberships (like you).