• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott announces new "city collection"

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ah ha....that explains why a search didnt come up for me!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Interesting. I wonder if they will follow the HGVC playbook to charge owners more who want better services and access to this collection similar to by HIlton Club or whether this is simply re-packaging.

Also wonder if they will offer owners lounges similar to the bHC Club Properties which regular HGVC owners cannot access unless you own there.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting. I wonder if they will follow the HGVC playbook to charge owners more who want better services and access to this collection similar to by HIlton Club or whether this is simply re-packaging.

Also wonder if they will offer owners lounges similar to the bHC Club Properties which regular HGVC owners cannot access unless you own there.
The product already exists and is already available to owners who use points for reservations. So no new buyin for access. I don't believe there are owner lounges like at Hilton Club as there aren't actually owners of these properties as they are all part of the point system. In HC, owners buy into each individual property.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
HGVC and MAX club owners have access to bHC but with limited reservation windows to 60 - 90 days - so they get the leftovers. Owners at these properties get earlier reservation access (without competing against the entire system), lounges etc.

It would not be difficult for MVC to change the Abound rules to reduce the reservation window to City Collection for regular Abound owners. HGVC has changed their reservations windows over time. MVC seems to be struggling financially and "better access" especially with new properties which Abound owners do not have current access such as Waikiki, Savannah and Charleston may give them a reason to create another tier to generate fast cash with current owners who are aging and may want to see shows and dine out rather than sit on a beach..

(I hope this doesn't happen but we know that timeshare developers are always looking for money).

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC and MAX club owners have access to bHC but with limited reservation windows to 60 - 90 days - so they get the leftovers. Owners at these properties get earlier reservation access (without competing against the entire system), lounges etc.

It would not be difficult for MVC to change the Abound rules to reduce the reservation window to City Collection for regular Abound owners. HGVC has changed their reservations windows over time. MVC seems to be struggling financially and "better access" especially with new properties which Abound owners do not have current access such as Waikiki, Savannah and Charleston may give them a reason to create another tier to generate fast cash with current owners who are aging and may want to see shows and dine out rather than sit on a beach..

(I hope this doesn't happen but we know that timeshare developers are always looking for money).

Sounds like the core of another higher elite level to me.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Sounds like the core of another higher elite level to me.
Yeah, that would really be the only way they can limit it. It isn't like there are weeks based owners at these properties (except Custom House) like there is in Hilton Club. They could add some type of shorter reservation window based on Owner Benefit Level like they have for Ritz Carlton Residence Club properties. I don't really expect them to do that. They need people in these rooms in order to spread demand from the other core properties that already have availability issues in points.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Confirms that both Charleston & Savannah will be Westin locations.

The pulse name was stupid anyway so I would say this is an improvement.
I wonder if they will also use the "City Collection" moniker on the Westin properties? It doesn't seem like the term is part of the overall name of the properties like "Pulse" was.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I wonder if they will also use the "City Collection" moniker on the Westin properties? It doesn't seem like the term is part of the overall name of the properties like "Pulse" was.
Please fix ours too. The "City" designation sounds so much better than "Pulse" for great properties like Boston Custom House. Even an upgrade for Custom House to "Historic" would help.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please fix ours too. The "City" designation sounds so much better than "Pulse" for great properties like Boston Custom House. Even an upgrade for Custom House to "Historic" would help.
They did. It now shows as Marriott Vacation Club at Custom House, Boston

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Per the press release linked in post #9.....

The Marriott Vacation Clubs has also announced plans to add the first two Westin Vacation Club properties to its City Collection portfolio.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
"Pulse" has been removed from all the City properties.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
What remains unconfirmed is whether those resorts will be bookable within Vistana or only via Abound.

💯
I would certainly expect Abound-only, but you're right that hasn't been absolutely confirmed

In their quarterly earnings calls, they frequently talk about their progress transitioning the sales centers to selling only Abound. While they say they have now transitioned most to Abound-only, they do still have some sales offices selling leftover Vistana interests. Since it's their goal to shift all/most to just Abound, I can't imagine they would want to add these to the old Vistana trusts or sell them as Vistana weeks, thus perpetrating the need to sell two systems.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
As a footnote to nothing, I was able to get a seven night Custom House this August using a lock off room from an April 2024 Grand Chateau reservation.
Speaking of MGC… why is it not also part of the City Collection? It’s certainly in the City.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What remains unconfirmed is whether those resorts will be bookable within Vistana or only via Abound.

💯

I would certainly expect Abound-only, but you're right that hasn't been absolutely confirmed

In their quarterly earnings calls, they frequently talk about their progress transitioning the sales centers to selling only Abound. While they say they have now transitioned most to Abound-only, they do still have some sales offices selling leftover Vistana interests. Since it's their goal to shift all/most to just Abound, I can't imagine they would want to add these to the old Vistana trusts or sell them as Vistana weeks, thus perpetrating the need to sell two systems.
Undoubtedly these will be added to the Abound trust, if they ever get around to doing that. They haven't added NYC yet and it has been available to book for years. Perhaps they find renting the inventory more lucrative or they are waiting on some regulatory approval or something else. Even if they are 100% trust, the key question is will they be bookable with StarOptions within VSN at eight months? I think they will be, but inventory will be limited and hard to book. They won't be part of Westin Flex, but it might be possible for HomeOption owners to book them at eight months. Sure they could use the ultimate carrot on the stick to force people to buy or convert to Abound Club points to book these, but just a hunch or perhaps a hope that limited inventory will be available in VSN.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Because it has full kitchens.
That may be it. Can anybody with knowledge of Marriott Vacation Club® at The Empire Place, Bangkok confirm or deny it has a full kitchen, as its listed as part of the City Collection.

Below is what it shows online for Kitchen amenities. From the pic online (pasted below), it looks like what they refer to as a stove, may just be an electric cook top with no oven, but can't tell for sure. It certainly appears to have a full fridge, has double sink, cabinets, etc.

KITCHEN AMENITIES​

• Electric cooking stove
  • Refrigerator
  • Microwave oven
  • Toaster
  • Pots, pans, serving dishes
  • Silverware and Dishware
1711736033693.png

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Because it has full kitchens.
Perhaps it has more to do with villa types available? Beachplace and Grand Chateau have full 2BR villas and MGC also has 3BR. Do any City Collections have 2BR or larger units?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Perhaps it has more to do with villa types available? Beachplace and Grand Chateau have full 2BR villas and MGC also has 3BR. Do any City Collections have 2BR or larger units?
Bangkok has 1, 2 and 3BRs.