• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Considering Parking Fees for Visitors

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Not set yet but could start in Spring or Summer of 2023.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Not set yet but could start in Spring or Summer of 2023.

If they place parking fees on. parking in towns like Lahaina they may be shooting themselves and their merchants in the foot. I know if I have to pay to park in an areas on Long Island I don't go there, eat there, and shop there any more. There are too many free parking areas to shop and eat.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
$10-30 to park at the beach, Lahaina and Wailuku seems pretty stiff to me. I'm afraid it will encourage people to park in neighborhoods and side streets, creating new problems for locals.

Or Not Go. I agree it will encourage people to park in neighborhood and walk to the beach or town which could cause problems for locals as well as safety issues. Some have said that it will deter people from coming to Maui which may be true. It also could deter people from frequenting certain areas. People who come to Maui probably will not refrain from going to the beach since that is a prime reason to come to Hawaii. However, if you can eat or shop other places without paying for parking rather than going to Lahaina you will. We are walkiing and BUS people in Honolulu so parking is never an issue for us. However, friends of ours are car people and they are always concerned with "where do we park? How much is parking?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Sounds like they are talking about street parking in Lahaina, which is very limited to begin with. Most privately-owned parking lots already charge fees at least as high as what they are talking about. I would rather park in a paid lot than parallel park for free on a street any day. Generally when we go into Lahaina we'll park in one of the lots off Dickenson street and those generally cost $15-$20 or more for from a few hours to all day. The lot down at Outlets of Maui off of Papalaua Street was free on our last two trips, but it's not as convenient to the harbor. They used to charge for that lot also in past years, but that shopping center appears to have fallen on hard times, so I suppose they made parking free to try to attract activity. I don't think the Maui County government can control what private property owners charge on their property.

I personally don't have any issue with charging for parking in beach lots. At least some public beach lots on the Big Island already charge - I know Hapuna Beach Park does - and I know that many other public beaches elsewhere in the US have paid parking. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I personally don't have any issue with charging for parking in beach lots. At least some public beach lots on the Big Island already charge - I know Hapuna Beach Park does - and I know that many other public beaches elsewhere in the US have paid parking. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Do you know many other public beaches elsewhere in the US that charge visitors for parking, but not locals? Normally, if there's paid parking, it's paid for everyone.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Do you know many other public beaches elsewhere in the US that charge visitors for parking, but not locals? Normally, if there's paid parking, it's paid for everyone.

Valid point, although I do know in Hilton Head Island there are a couple of beach parks that are designated for local HHI residents only. You must have a resident sticker to park there. Public parking is limited to a few paid spots in those lots. We own a condo on HHI, so we could get a sticker, but since our condo has direct ocean access, we've never bothered.

In many ways, HHI is a lot like Maui. There is a love-hate relationship between local residents and tourists. As part-time residents, we sort of have one foot in each camp!

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't mind if the beaches have paid parking, if it's $10, $20, or $30. Of course the lower the better :).

But what I do mind, and it blows my mind is charging per person as well in addition, to go to the beach, that's just doesn't jive as well for me. Public Beaches shouldn't have theme park style ticket/entry fees. I know, other may disagree, so flame away!

Great3

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our visit to Hawaii this year, I feel most of the local would park their vehicles along the highway and walk to the beach with their surf boards

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't mind if the beaches have paid parking, if it's $10, $20, or $30. Of course the lower the better :).

But what I do mind, and it blows my mind is charging per person as well in addition, to go to the beach, that's just doesn't jive as well for me. Public Beaches shouldn't have theme park style ticket/entry fees. I know, other may disagree, so flame away!

Great3
Where did you see there might be a plan to charge per person? The proposal is to put pay stations in like the one that is at Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea. That is for the car, not per person. Please provide a link to what you have seen.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you see there might be a plan to charge per person? The proposal is to put pay stations in like the one that is at Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea. That is for the car, not per person. Please provide a link to what you have seen.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't talking abut Maui. I was responding to Hapuna Beach on the Big Island, where there is a $5/person charge in addition to the parking fees to be paid at the same time just to use a public beach. I was just saying it's more than just parking fees on that Big Island Beach park.

Great3

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't talking abut Maui. I was responding to Hapuna Beach on the Big Island, where there is a $5/person charge in addition to the parking fees to be paid at the same time just to use a public beach. I was just saying it's more than just parking fees on that Big Island Beach park.

Great3
Interesting. Was this through personal experience? The last time we were on the Big Island (which was some years back) they had instituted a parking fee for Hapuna Beach, but it wasn't always enforced as many times there was no attendant. How are they managing it now?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Making use of resort shuttles will probably be our plan, if they are truly going to charge for parking along Front St. We go to whale watches regularly. This would add some expense to our trips to the harbor.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Was this through personal experience? The last time we were on the Big Island (which was some years back) they had instituted a parking fee for Hapuna Beach, but it wasn't always enforced as many times there was no attendant. How are they managing it now?

This changed I think started around April 2021, where they also started charging per person non-resident usage fee in addition to parking:

Division of State Parks | Hāpuna Beach State Recreation Area (hawaii.gov)

After you park, there were multiple pay stations where you pay for both the parking and entrance fees. As far as enforcement, I think it's just on honor system, because I don't see anybody checking receipts for payment. But why chance them they coming to check and enforce, and ruin a good time just to save a few bucks. Either pay the fees and enjoy or just don't go. So, I just pay and mumble under my breath that I don't agree with it, lol.

But I didn't got back anymore like I had previously plan on the agenda, I went to other beach parks that didn't charge, often with free parking even.

Even Mākena State Park in Maui is charging entrance fees per person as well. My main complaint is paying to use a Public Beach, but times are changing.

Division of State Parks | Mākena State Park (hawaii.gov)

Thanks,
Great3

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This changed I think started around April 2021, where they also started charging per person non-resident usage fee in addition to parking:

Division of State Parks | Hāpuna Beach State Recreation Area (hawaii.gov)

After you park, there were multiple pay stations where you pay for both the parking and entrance fees. As far as enforcement, I think it's just on honor system, because I don't see anybody checking receipts for payment. But why chance them they coming to check and enforce, and ruin a good time just to save a few bucks. Either pay the fees and enjoy or just don't go. So, I just pay and mumble under my breath that I don't agree with it, lol.

But I didn't got back anymore like I had previously plan on the agenda, I went to other beach parks that didn't charge, often with free parking even.

Even Mākena State Park in Maui is charging entrance fees per person as well. My main complaint is paying to use a Public Beach, but times are changing.

Division of State Parks | Mākena State Park (hawaii.gov)

Thanks,
Great3

While new fees can be annoying, if you think about it, a minivan with six people aboard puts more stress on the beach infrastructure and resources/environment than a car with one or two people aboard. So from that standpoint, charging per person better matches the fee to the potential impact.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
When the Iao Needle started charging for parking we stopped going there.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
While new fees can be annoying, if you think about it, a minivan with six people aboard puts more stress on the beach infrastructure and resources/environment than a car with one or two people aboard. So from that standpoint, charging per person better matches the fee to the potential impact.

Oh, I thought about it already and decided the vast big ocean can handle all that wants to visit without need of a visitation fee!!! :)

And yes, I did have a mini-van load of people. If it was about stressing the beach infrastructure, my my mini load will stress it about the same as a minivan load of locals. But if the locals can visit without parking and entrance fees, I am happy for them, not jealous or upset, they deserve to be able to enjoy their beautiful land. But I do feel I should be able to enjoy too like them. And thankfully I can, just at other beautiful beach spots not call Hapuna. There enough other beaches that this isn't a big deal. I will leave Hapuna Beach to the peaceful enjoyment of the locals and those willing to pay to play! I enjoyed it once already, and decided it's not worth $40 just to go to the beach, when there are other choices.

Of course, once all beach park charges, than $40 will still be worth it :). I will just pay and mumble under my breath, lol!

Great3

Last edited:

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the Iao Needle started charging for parking we stopped going there.

Exactly, that's the choice you get to make. Not only does it charge for parking, it also charges the per person non-resident entrance fee as well:

Division of State Parks | ʻĪao Valley State Monument (hawaii.gov)

But it doesn't matter if you choose to no longer visit. They accomplished their purpose of reducing infrastructure stress there and moving it somewhere else along the island :)

Great3

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the parking charges at the Iao Needle managed to dissuade many people from visiting, I'd hate to see what it looked like before. The place was jam-packed when we made our first visit last summer. I don't mind the non-resident fees that the islands have been applying one bit. It's not a bad thing for tourists to be encouraged to visit "other" places beyond the obvious and most crowded ones, and if that makes a little more room for the residents to also enjoy the wonderful spots on the island, great.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Oh, I thought about it already and decided the vast big ocean can handle all that wants to visit without need of a visitation fee!!! :)

And yes, I did have a mini-van load of people. If it was about stressing the beach infrastructure, my my mini load will stress it about the same as a minivan load of locals. But if the locals can visit without parking and entrance fees, I am happy for them, not jealous or upset, they deserve to be able to enjoy their beautiful land. But I do feel I should be able to enjoy too like them. And thankfully I can, just at other beautiful beach spots not call Hapuna. There enough other beaches that this isn't a big deal. I will leave Hapuna Beach to the peaceful enjoyment of the locals and those willing to pay to play! I enjoyed it once already, and decided it's not worth $40 just to go to the beach.

Great3

SInce there are free options, I guess $40 to go to a beach does seem a bit steep if that's your only goal, but I suppose that is the intent. One very effective way to discourage over-use of a popular place or resource is to raise the price to play. That sends some people elsewhere, spreading out the impact, which is the desired goal. I really don't have a problem with that approach, and if we decide we want to go to Hapuna Beach next time we are on the Big Island, we'll pay the fee. It's a beautiful beach, easy to access, and convenient to Waikoloa, and $5 per person plus parking won't break the bank.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
SInce there are free options, I guess $40 to go to a beach does seem a bit steep if that's your only goal, but I suppose that is the intent. One very effective way to discourage over-use of a popular place or resource is to raise the price to play. That sends some people elsewhere, spreading out the impact, which is the desired goal. I really don't have a problem with that approach, and if we decide we want to go to Hapuna Beach next time we are on the Big Island, we'll pay the fee. It's a beautiful beach, easy to access, and convenient to Waikoloa, and $5 per person plus parking won't break the bank.
For people like us who spend every morning on the beach it would be an issue. Thank goodness I haven't heard plans to start charging for parking at the beach we do frequent on Maui.....yet.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
For people like us who spend every morning on the beach it would be an issue. Thank goodness I haven't heard plans to start charging for parking at the beach we do frequent on Maui.....yet.

Yeah, I can see that, but there are so many places that are being over-used, over-touristed today, it's a difficult choice. Do you artificially limit occupancy/use to a set number (which generally drives people to arrive earlier and earlier get a spot) or use fees to let the market do it for you. I tend to lean toward market-based approaches, but can see where others may not.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Maui has long had a battle between tourists and locals. It is like they want tourism $$ but want to limit the tourist. Can't always have it both ways. And it is not just about Native Hawaiian, but it is now anyone who want to call Maui home. It started with taxing Occupancy of TS, as this was a just a revenue grab. This TOT tax has spread to other areas in Hawaii too. They want to limit development, government is constantly limiting development and making them jump through hoops in getting things approved. It look a long long time to get permission to build the New Hilton is Maui, and still there were arguements that the locales should get first dibs and should get land and building subsidized.

I have been to Maui a few times, but I find it too crowded. Being visiting BI since, and enjoy it a lot.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
On Kauai, Waimea Canyon and Koke'e Parks charge a fee for each non-resident vehicle and each non-resident visitor. At Ke'e Park, not only are there charges per vehicle and per person, they also limit the number of non-residents allowed to enter the park.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
On Kauai, Waimea Canyon and Koke'e Parks charge a fee for each non-resident vehicle and each non-resident visitor. At Ke'e Park, not only are there charges per vehicle and per person, they also limit the number of non-residents allowed to enter the park.

So does this drive Uber car rentals, as that car could have local resident pass on it, vs a rental at the airport.