• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Presentation offer…downgrade our ownership

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Back when purchasing resale weeks many years ago. For an example, Willowridge gold for free or Platinum for $1000. I paid the $1000 figuring trade power was worth the small cost. In my trades into MKO, the $1000 for my plat weeks trader over gold was a good choice. MF is the same for both so might as well get the higher week if price is not big difference.

roni973

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Harbour
Ocean Pointe
Abound points
Bronze and other low season weeks are great for trading. It seems that MVC and the rest of the world has forgotten about trading through II. Or many never tried it in the first place. Many don't tray II at all. We are at SVV on a getaway that cost us less than $400. I met people at the owner meeting this week that used their StarOptions to book the week. They would have been better to pay cash and save the points for better options.
I am one of these owners who just does not understand trading with II. When I look on their site and pull up properties that are offered, they just are not comparable to what MVC offers (from my VERY ignorant knowledge of II). Am I really missing out on a valuable resource? I truly feel I would have to "take a class" to fully understand the ins-and-outs of their system, and benefit from the trades.

Is there a resource to learn about II??

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am one of these owners who just does not understand trading with II. When I look on their site and pull up properties that are offered, they just are not comparable to what MVC offers (from my VERY ignorant knowledge of II). Am I really missing out on a valuable resource? I truly feel I would have to "take a class" to fully understand the ins-and-outs of their system, and benefit from the trades.

What Marriott resorts are not comparable with what MVC offers? We primarily only trade our Marriott weeks into other MVC resorts. We've only exchanged once to a non MVC resort. If we used points, we would often need two to three times the number of points that our weeks elect for in order to get the same exchanges we do with weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

If I understand correctly, you're judging your II options by what is sitting there online and that is the wrong way to do so. For MVC owners, trading to other MVC resorts through II is a great option. One does need to developer a feel for what is and is not likely to come through with an On Going Search but what is just sitting there online is generally going to be lower demand times, lower demand resorts and short notice options. Using a reasonable option to trade, depositing as early as possible (a year or more) and requesting at least 12-13 months in advance will yield the best results. Being as flexible as possible, usually multiple resorts over multiple weeks provides the best results. One also needs to be able to wait it out until at least 2 months before travel but with back up options where necessary. In a sense it's a game of chicken.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back when purchasing resale weeks many years ago. For an example, Willowridge gold for free or Platinum for $1000. I paid the $1000 figuring trade power was worth the small cost. In my trades into MKO, the $1000 for my plat weeks trader over gold was a good choice. MF is the same for both so might as well get the higher week if price is not big difference.
Frank, to be honest I wouldn't consider buying a Gold week at any of the resorts I'd consider trading options other than possibly the desert options. I don't think I was all in $1000 total between 2 WR Platinum weeks. I'm not enamored with WR these days though, even platinum week 26.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Roni,
Dean summarized it well. Making deposits and putting in requests well in advance is the best way to yield decent trade results in II. Also, using accommodation certificates and Getaways for lesser demand resorts and times can add decent value to your II membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Frank, to be honest I wouldn't consider buying a Gold week at any of the resorts I'd consider trading options other than possibly the desert options. I don't think I was all in $1000 total between 2 WR Platinum weeks. I'm not enamored with WR these days though, even platinum week 26.
I was lucky and got paid acquiring a few weeks. Came with free use and no closing costs.

I have seen that WR is a little less in trade power compared to GC week. What I loved about WR was the low MF which is no more.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I really missing out on a valuable resource?

No, not at all, its all rubbish, just leave it alone :ROFLMAO: . Now seriously, it can be great, I've not managed to find a better way to vacation, but there are others who find it completely unhelpful. Its difficult to tell until you give it a go and give yourself a chance to understand how it works, just like all the other ways timeshares can be used.

I truly feel I would have to "take a class" to fully understand the ins-and-outs of their system, and benefit from the trades.

U-tube is full to free resources on this a is Facebook, have a browse and find something that works for you. There is also a community section in your account on the II website which contains How to guides in the document library (LHS menu). As an added sport, your challenge is to spot Tuggers who also contribute to the II community, some make it easy, others not.....

In the end, spending time using the site to poke around and see how it works is the best way to make progress along with understanding how your specific ownership works with II and what you can realistically get.

Do your own research on any resort you might want to consider so you know what it is like, the II descriptions can be wrong, on things like resort facilities, kitchens and air-con. As a real rough rule of thumb, avoid exchanging a resort with maint fees of $2,000 for a resort with maint fees of $500, that might disappoint.

You have the choice of MVC, Sheraton, Westin Hyatt, Embarc and many independents as well as some larger brands like Westgate where they can be poor in one location but great in another.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was lucky and got paid acquiring a few weeks. Came with free use and no closing costs.

I have seen that WR is a little less in trade power compared to GC week. What I loved about WR was the low MF which is no more.
Same here, a couple of my weeks came with a free week, paid closing and little or no up front cost. How much lower WR was in trade power compared to GV hit home to me last year when I deposited a GV week just a few months out. I deposited a studio and 1 BR and placed a request that included Grande Ocean week 26. Both weeks (studio & 1BR) matched to MGOover searches for WR (top TDI) that included a 2 BR and had been in place for some time.

freeport28

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe 2 weeks, Marriott Grande Ocean Hilton Head, Bouganville Barbados, Marriott Points
I am a victim of the "buy points by Marriott buying back a week "scam. If what they offer isn't in writing and part of the offer, you are not going to get it. We will never go to another presentation, and when asked why, I say it's because you conned me the last time.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roni,
Dean summarized it well. Making deposits and putting in requests well in advance is the best way to yield decent trade results in II. Also, using accommodation certificates and Getaways for lesser demand resorts and times can add decent value to your II membership.

@roni973
Yes and you can request (on going search) without even depositing your week- it’s called request first, so you retain your home week until if/when your request comes through.
There is a section in the general discussion section of the II community that has video tutorials. Have a look at the faq and buyers guide (legal) at the bottom of the page too.
Don‘t discount II before you fully explore it.

Last edited:

Govsclub2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just went to a MVC sales presentation at Lakeshore Reserve today. We are chairman’s club members through a combination of weeks and trust points. I’m never really sure what type of approach they will take with us to sell us more ownership.
Today’s deal / offer took me a bit by surprise.

They suggested we sell back two of our less desirable weeks (which have high MF vs the points they generate) in exchange for buying 1,000 points at the rack rate of $19.54. This would result in a MF savings of $3,000 (1,000 points at .79 MF) per year and we would downgrade from Chairman to presidential level. The offer for the 2 weeks was $3,900 to be deducted from the cost of the points purchased. After showing us the few benefit differences between the two levels they were shocked when we said NO.

Has anyone else gotten this type of offer from Marriott? We did receive our $300 Visa card and were out of there within about 90 minutes.

We experienced a similar tradecraft attempt at Lakeshore We were concerned about our Fixed Week at Canyon Villas with regard to the possible exposure to a possible assessment and substantial increase in the MF. We were told that during Covid, Marriott contacted everyone offering a deal whereby fixed weeks could be given back to Marriott, which would then be placed on their resale platform. We would receive approximately 30% of our original sales price. We apparently were one of the few owners who weren't contacted, so the offer was made to us at the meeting. The deal evolved as follows: Purchase a significant number of points in order to maintain our Presidential Status, and at the same time, Marriott would take back our Canyon Villas, place it on their resale platform and receive back 30% of our original purchase price. When we got down to the nitty gritty, there was no guarantee of when or even if our Canyon Villas would be resold; therefore, we weren't offered the opportunity to offset the 30% repurchase price against our new purchase of points. We were disappointed, but not surprised once the details were sorted out.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We experienced a similar tradecraft attempt at Lakeshore We were concerned about our Fixed Week at Canyon Villas with regard to the possible exposure to a possible assessment and substantial increase in the MF. We were told that during Covid, Marriott contacted everyone offering a deal whereby fixed weeks could be given back to Marriott, which would then be placed on their resale platform. We would receive approximately 30% of our original sales price. We apparently were one of the few owners who weren't contacted, so the offer was made to us at the meeting. The deal evolved as follows: Purchase a significant number of points in order to maintain our Presidential Status, and at the same time, Marriott would take back our Canyon Villas, place it on their resale platform and receive back 30% of our original purchase price. When we got down to the nitty gritty, there was no guarantee of when or even if our Canyon Villas would be resold; therefore, we weren't offered the opportunity to offset the 30% repurchase price against our new purchase of points. We were disappointed, but not surprised once the details were sorted out.
Any time a salesperson says that every owner was contact about something, I can guarantee it is a 100% lie. It doesn't happen in regard to a buyback offer. They may send out emails about certain programs or features, but this isn't that type of situation.

That said, what is a fixed week at Canyon Villas? Are you referring to Platinum Plus week 52? If you no longer want the week why haven't you called Marriott Resales and asked to be put on the resale list? They pay 50% of the sales price but that probably isn't 30% of what you paid originally, but it might be close to that.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am a victim of the "buy points by Marriott buying back a week "scam. If what they offer isn't in writing and part of the offer, you are not going to get it. We will never go to another presentation, and when asked why, I say it's because you conned me the last time.
If you don't want the week, why haven't you tried to just give it away yourself in the Free Timeshares forum here on TUG or even called Marriott exit department about a deedback. From what I understand, there are very few deeds they won't take back. So you should be able to offload it pretty easily, even if it is offering it for free on TUG.

decoratingplus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts Grande Vista, Aruba Surf Club, Kauai Waiohai, Aruba Ocean Club, Shadow Ridge Enclaves, Beachplace Towers, St Thomas Frenchmans Cove,
Dan, good analysis. The 2 weeks totaled about 3,500 points and yes the MF/ point is greater than .79/ point.
We do use our weeks and points “less” than we used to as we are now vacationing in other ways on our own and without our family as much. We haven’t lost any points or weeks so the assumption on their part that we may need less as determined by their system algorithms may not have been an accurate one.
I haven’t priced out what these weeks would be worth on resale.
The other “hook” they were touting was legacy/ inheritance to our family. We are retired and have thought about this for our estate. our grown daughters would not “want” the timeshare weeks or points as it’s a liability vs an asset. They said that MVC will always buy back trust points at 50% of the price paid so that would lessen that issue for our heirs. So positive to think about

They WILL buy back points and half the value...in my heart, I don’t believe it would be that much...hmmmmm... And Yes....the kids wanting our legacy....thats on the fence!....THOUGH...hoping as they get older they will see the value in having “property” you don’t actually have to maintain. I added up our costs one time...purchases and maintenance fees....... for having a vacay property with ocean front views and safe and clean and refurbished all the time....its kind of a good thing. One thing I WOULD not do...it to purchase enough points so all the kids are chairman...like...what if they don’t want the places ...and well...they can put in some $$$ if they want that level

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They WILL buy back points and half the value...in my heart, I don’t believe it would be that much...hmmmmm... And Yes....the kids wanting our legacy....thats on the fence!....THOUGH...hoping as they get older they will see the value in having “property” you don’t actually have to maintain. I added up our costs one time...purchases and maintenance fees....... for having a vacay property with ocean front views and safe and clean and refurbished all the time....its kind of a good thing. One thing I WOULD not do...it to purchase enough points so all the kids are chairman...like...what if they don’t want the places ...and well...they can put in some $$$ if they want that level
IMO, no one should ever buy a timeshare with the thought of leaving it to their kids. Travel changes over time and the kids probably won't travel the same way the parents do in their retirement years. Buy timeshare if you want it for yourself, don't buy it as a legacy. That just sounds bad in so many ways.

roni973

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Harbour
Ocean Pointe
Abound points
What Marriott resorts are not comparable with what MVC offers? We primarily only trade our Marriott weeks into other MVC resorts. We've only exchanged once to a non MVC resort. If we used points, we would often need two to three times the number of points that our weeks elect for in order to get the same exchanges we do with weeks.
When I look on the II site, there are NO Marriott properties offered that I can see-maybe I am not looking at the correct II web site-like I said, I am very ignorant about the workings of II and that's why I never give it a try.

roni973

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Harbour
Ocean Pointe
Abound points
No, not at all, its all rubbish, just leave it alone :ROFLMAO: . Now seriously, it can be great, I've not managed to find a better way to vacation, but there are others who find it completely unhelpful. Its difficult to tell until you give it a go and give yourself a chance to understand how it works, just like all the other ways timeshares can be used.

U-tube is full to free resources on this a is Facebook, have a browse and find something that works for you. There is also a community section in your account on the II website which contains How to guides in the document library (LHS menu). As an added sport, your challenge is to spot Tuggers who also contribute to the II community, some make it easy, others not.....

In the end, spending time using the site to poke around and see how it works is the best way to make progress along with understanding how your specific ownership works with II and what you can realistically get.

Do your own research on any resort you might want to consider so you know what it is like, the II descriptions can be wrong, on things like resort facilities, kitchens and air-con. As a real rough rule of thumb, avoid exchanging a resort with maint fees of $2,000 for a resort with maint fees of $500, that might disappoint.

You have the choice of MVC, Sheraton, Westin Hyatt, Embarc and many independents as well as some larger brands like Westgate where they can be poor in one location but great in another.
Thank you for taking the time to respond-I will search the document library (which I had no idea existed!) and read the "how to" that's offered and start there. Like I said, this is a whole new area for me to learn about.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I look on the II site, there are NO Marriott properties offered that I can see-maybe I am not looking at the correct II web site-like I said, I am very ignorant about the workings of II and that's why I never give it a try.
What are you depositing into II?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you sign up as a TUG Member ($15), you can get access to the Sightings forum where people post all the Marriott deposits they are able to see. The only way you can get accustomed to it is to use it.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking using the Abound club points placeholder under my Units then that's why you never see any MVC, Sheraton or Westin
Look using one of the other placeholders if they are in the same account, select vacation exchange, then put in a dummy reservation number and a check-in date that is in your season and then under the search criteria put all destinations, a 2-year date range and 2-adults and you're off exploring.
If your other ownerships aren't in the same II account than look into whether you can enroll them in Abound for no fee or whether you have or need to have a separate II account.
I find the website via a laptop easier than the App so start with that initially and graduate to the App once you have got the hang of things. Some people find the App much easier, choose which works best for you.
Enjoy!

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are tons of Marriott properties and availability in II all the time. If you are searching using an AC you will rarely find Marriott inventory. Or if you are searching using a Marriott points deposit Marriott inventory would be blocked since you cannot exchange abound points for Marriott inventory via II. But otherwise there is definitely Marriott inventory out there.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Bronze and other low season weeks are great for trading. It seems that MVC and the rest of the world has forgotten about trading through II. Or many never tried it in the first place. Many don't tray II at all. We are at SVV on a getaway that cost us less than $400. I met people at the owner meeting this week that used their StarOptions to book the week. They would have been better to pay cash and save the points for better options.

I was thinking the same thing. We have one week, as it stands now, that has a MF to point fee ratio that makes it more expensive than points. Ocean Pointe may soon be there as well.

At the moment, we use points exclusively with Marriott because we like the variable days for check in (midweek sometimes works better), for short stays (3 of those booked for this year) and for unit view selection. Unit view is not a consideration with every resort, so that one can often be tossed out at many of the resorts. At the beach front resorts view is important and we realize we’re paying a relatively steep premium to have it.

Eventually I can see us taking two of our deeded weeks out of the points exchange, locking them off and getting 4 full weeks of vacation stays out of them vs using the 6,550 points those weeks generate. It would be somewhat more difficult to get 4 full weeks out of 6,550 whereas not such a big deal if I’m locking off and exchanging the same two deeded weeks.

We’ve had Hilton attempt to downgrade us before. This came after I mentioned in the opening general conversation that MF’s would eventually climb to a point that we’d simply stop paying them and bail out. The idea that I’d pay them tens of thousands of dollars to save a few hundred each year off MF’s that will still continue to increase was laughable. I may use the high price of MF’s as the reason I’m not buying but I’ve left it out of the opening discussions ever since.

Last edited:

boraxo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra, Villa Resorts (Mexico)
Why would anyone do this? Remind me of my Benz dealer offer “if you trade your current vehicle for lowball price ($25k) we will credit that towards the newer model ($100k)”. Umm no thanks.

Marriott/Hyatt et al are all trying to convert legacy owners because they can’t make more $$ if they don’t keep selling overpriced points. Yes MFs are rising (inflation) but you own your week free and clear, not some point scheme where you may or may not get what you want and MF will continue to rise.

jndallen

Reaction score
We just went to a MVC sales presentation at Lakeshore Reserve today. We are chairman’s club members through a combination of weeks and trust points. I’m never really sure what type of approach they will take with us to sell us more ownership.
Today’s deal / offer took me a bit by surprise.

They suggested we sell back two of our less desirable weeks (which have high MF vs the points they generate) in exchange for buying 1,000 points at the rack rate of $19.54. This would result in a MF savings of $3,000 (1,000 points at .79 MF) per year and we would downgrade from Chairman to presidential level. The offer for the 2 weeks was $3,900 to be deducted from the cost of the points purchased. After showing us the few benefit differences between the two levels they were shocked when we said NO.

Has anyone else gotten this type of offer from Marriott? We did receive our $300 Visa card and were out of there within about 90 minutes.

We went to a presentation at Lakeshore Reserve on the same day (probably walking in when you were walking out) and got a similar pitch (deed back our week and downgrade level to save in rising MF's).
We said no as well and they just kept piling on "incentives". They even offered to keep the deal open for a few days without having to buy the $595 extra stay package.