• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC "TOP. Travelers Opinion Panel" email

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Received an email today from Marriott Vacation Club inviting me, as a Marriott owner, to become a part of this "Travelers Opinion Poll." Sounds like there is a monthly survey, but in reading the terms one has to agree to, I am a little suspicious as to the motive. I don't mind answering questions designed to improve the MVC experience, but I definitely do not want more emails from people trying to sell me stuff based on what I tell Marriott.

I did not thoroughly read the terms, but saw enough to Stop before signing up. Any ideas on what this is really trying to accomplish?

pennypie

Reaction score
MVC TOP email also received

I also received this email and was suspicious and would appreciate any comments from others that know if this is truly a way to influence Marriott to provide good products.

It was also odd that I received the TOP email not only to my address that is registered with Marriott, but I also received second email today at my corporate email, and I am not aware that Marriott has that address registered.

I too stopped my registration process, because it felt to me that I would end up getting hundreds of marketing emails from third parties.

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
Received it and signed up. Figured I could always drop out later. Just curious to see what's up.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a way for Marriott to leverage their customer list. I took the first survey and it had a lot more to do with how I reserve travel, etc. in a general sense. Nothing to do with Marriott specifically. I don't know if they are getting paid by the survey company or the other way around.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a way for Marriott to leverage their customer list. I took the first survey and it had a lot more to do with how I reserve travel, etc. in a general sense. Nothing to do with Marriott specifically. I don't know if they are getting paid by the survey company or the other way around.

Was it about tech devices? Use Tablets, phones? What brands? What experiences - Make reservations on them, check-in with them, write reviews with them, etc.?

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Yes - it was all about how we book travel using technology. I signed up for it also. I had to laugh when they said they would have a (quarterly?) drawing for those participating for a 5-day trip to the Marriott timeshare of our choice. I was wondering if we would have to sit thru a sales presentation.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes - it was all about how we book travel using technology. I signed up for it also. I had to laugh when they said they would have a (quarterly?) drawing for those participating for a 5-day trip to the Marriott timeshare of our choice. I was wondering if we would have to sit thru a sales presentation.

The e-mail we got indicated the sweepstakes drawing would be held semi-annually.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
The e-mail we got indicated the sweepstakes drawing would be held semi-annually.

So quarterly for everyone else, but semi-annually for you? Sounds like your 17 presentations are coming back around. :hysterical:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
What is "Marriott Vacation Club Top Opinion Panel"?

Today I got something in my email and was wondering what the "catch" is to their offer. I'm wondering if they are just trying to get more info in order to sell me points....

"Register today, and discover how rewarding it can be to share your insights and opinions as a Marriott Vacation Club® TOP Advisor!

(If you have already registered – thank you, and please disregard this email).

Please consider becoming part of our exciting new Travelers Opinion Panel (TOP).

We are inviting you to use your experience with us to help shape vacations, products and services that we may offer to Owners like you in the future.

Your Ownership experience with us would be a valuable resource for the panel.

You'll be one of our TOP Advisors, part of a community of vacationers who – through the sharing of opinions, experiences and insights – will help us identify new ways that we can make vacations amazing.

Participation is easy and rewarding:
1.To become a TOP Advisor, simply register online.

2.About once a month, you’ll receive a survey.

3.Each time you complete a survey, you’ll be entered into a sweepstakes* where the grand prize is a 5–night vacation to your choice of Marriott Vacation Club® resorts and the first prize is a 2–night getaway to your choice of Marriott Vacation Club resorts. The sweepstakes will be conducted semi-annually."

Has anyone else got this and knows what the "catch" is to it? :ponder:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I signed up too....they just got alot of info on me and my travel preferences. I will be curious what future surveys look like.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I signed up in response to the email, too, and did the questionnaire. Haven't found a catch yet, and as long as they don't ask for names like the Friends/Family thing, don't require signing up as a social media guinea pig, or anything else I don't want to do, I'll keep answering their questions.

[Note threads merged.]

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone fill out the latest survey? Interesting Topic (Vacation Homes).

Specifically they are asking about interested in Vacation Home rentals using MCD Points. Weeks would be in the 8000-11000 point range. I told them I would not be interested but still filled out the remaining questions about locations.

I forgot to capture the questions but maybe someone else will. Adding Vacation Home rentals could be a nice enhancement, if they aren't too expensive and if they are at locations that would be desirable.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Imagine Your Dream Vacation Home . . .
. . . In Every Dream You Could Imagine.
Marriott Vacation Club now offers a premier selection of carefully selected luxury vacation homes in the most desired destinations.

Suitable for large parties with up to 8 bedrooms, these spacious stand-alone homes are specifically selected to maximize your vacation experience. Discover what makes each home a singular experience in leisure travel.

EFFORTLESS STAY
Marriott Vacation Club will facilitate an effortless check-in and check-out process.

LUXURIOUS AMENITIES
These homes offer sweeping, contemporary floor plans for groups of all sizes. You’ll bask in finely appointed luxuries such as gourmet kitchens with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, luxurious bedding and linens and other five-star resort type amenities. You can rest assured that every trip you take will always meet your highest standards.

SPECTACULAR DESTINATIONS
You’ll have access to a remarkable selection of private vacation homes in stunning destinations. You’ll also enjoy the finest location available within the desired destination. Each home offers signature views and prime locations such as ocean front, ski in/ski out or adjacent to top attractions, entertainment, golf courses or dining and shopping venues.

Choose Your Dream Vacation Home Today!

The number of Vacation Club Points needed to stay at the vacation home shown above might range between 12,000 - 15,000 for one week. Assuming a one-week stay at this vacation home was offered for this Vacation Club Point range, how interested would you be in staying at a vacation home? Please base your answer only on the information shown in this description.

Potential areas....
Hilton Head
St. John
Cancun
Kiawah or Isle of Palms
Sanibel/Naples
Napa/Sonoma
Cabo San Lucas
London
Tuscany area, Italy
Burgundy area, France
Paris
Cannes
Rome
Barcelona

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I filled out the questionnaire If their points quotes were accurate (big IF), I could convert the 5 bedrooms we have at MFC for 5 bedrooms in a vacation home. I think these must be all the "new" locations the salespeople must be referring to :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I always like the idea of new options for DC Points usage and vacation homes with more than three (max I own) bedrooms would be good additions. We have, in fact, rented private homes nearby to our timeshares in order to house more family members for several vacations.

But if this pans out at the DC Points cost they indicated, I probably wouldn't use the option for similar vacations because it's possible (at least at Hilton Head) to rent the types of homes they're considering for far less than the cash equivalent of those DC Points. It might seem odd to hear this from me because I've said that I'm open to using DC Points for Explorer Club options that generally equate to essentially paying more for the convenience of them putting together a trip with several components, when similar trips can be put together for less cost by booking the components independently. But in the case of rental homes a DC Points option wouldn't add another layer of convenience - the choice would be booking one single component through either MVC or the home rental management company - and the only factor that would differ is cost.

It's the one question the survey didn't ask but I wish it had. All my answers except the one about the projected DC Points cost were answered positively yet they didn't ask why if I liked the option so much, I'd be extremely hesitant to use it based on the Points price they mentioned.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I took the survey and think that this is the next logical expansion of Marriott. I think this would be a very positive development and would be conducive to selling more points, as existing (and potential) owners see a new and different opportunity for the usage of points.

This is the type of thing I was speculating about here, and I hope it happens.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I've taken all the surveys so far. No real spam that I've seen.

What I find funny is the way they have targeted the points towards what appears to be specific individuals?

StevenTing was targeted at 8000-11000 points
Faster was targeted at 12000-15000 points

And I was told 4000-7000. I am not a points member!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took the survey also. The 2 nd question asks you how many points you have. We have 14,000 and my survey was like FASTTR's.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've taken all the surveys so far. No real spam that I've seen.

What I find funny is the way they have targeted the points towards what appears to be specific individuals?

StevenTing was targeted at 8000-11000 points
Faster was targeted at 12000-15000 points

And I was told 4000-7000. I am not a points member!

I was also 8000-11000 points.

They must be probing for reaction to different levels.

Best,

Greg

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot see purchasing points for the purpose of renting a house.

That is what VRBO is for, and I don't have to pay maintenance fees.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I cannot see purchasing points for the purpose of renting a house.

That is what VRBO is for, and I don't have to pay maintenance fees.

Understood on VRBO, but I'm renting a 6BR house in Breckinridge over New Years and have paid a 50% deposit.

It's been hard to get the attention of the rentor. I would much rather be working with Marriott on this.

Best,

Greg