• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help Exiting HICV timeshare

mskyler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations
Hello!
I can't believe how incredibly stupid my husband I were for falling for this scam. We were convinced to buy three separate deeds with Holiday Inn Club Vacations. Our total mortgage debt is over $80,000. Our maintenance fees alone are $5,000 a year. We need out STAT. From what I read on this forum we basically have two choices:
1. WALK and take a massive hit on our credit
2. Stay stuck in debt over our heads and take crappy vacations every year to try to make up for our stupidity.

Here's my question... Has anyone walked with this much debt left on their mortgage? What happens? Do they just foreclose or do they go after us in court? We bought in FL, SC and TX. We are behind 3 months in mortgage payments now due to my poor health and bills associated with that. Our credit has already taken a hit of 100 points.

Thanks for the advice.. Please don't condemn or judge, we already feel stupid enough.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
They will just foreclose and ruin your credit. I don't believe they can sue you. How did they convince you to take three mortgages out?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can also throw yourself on their mercy and explain your hardship and they may forgive some or all of the debt. There still may be credit hits with this option but it wouldn't be as great as it would for a total loan default.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
with 80,000 dollars worth of debt you are discussing, id make a point to speak to a bankruptcy attorney in your state.

while holiday inn isnt likely to put much effort into your default on the annual maintenance fees, whatever creditor lent you 80+ thousand dollars is going to be far more aggressive in their efforts to recover the money you owe. their options vary from state to state.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This OP posted the original post, then disappeared within an hour, not to return. They are possibly not as committed to doing whatever it takes to mitigate the damage and they indicated.

Or maybe they signed up for some money-grabbing upfront-fee exit company. We certainly hope not, but it happens.

@mskyler, if you come back, please see a local attorney with experience in dealing with consumer debt issues.

Jim