• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help to exit [Westgate] timeshare

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate lake resorts and spa
My wife and I were visiting Orlando February 2023, we didn’t know how this timeshare work. We signed the contract with Westgate. Now, we’re regretting because of what they promised was not true. 1. They promised of unlimited vacation with their partner( Intervial international) with only $99-$499 per week.
2. Timeshare is like an investment, we could sell for higher price.( was a lied, no handwritten or stated on contract)
3. They promised of getting a gift card every year that worth $1500 as a reward for become member.
We looking for help to exit the timeshare that we currently have mortgage payments. Is there any legal way to get out? What if we stop the payments altogether, can they take away our assets or money in our bank? My wife is currently unemployed and pregnant, we don’t have enough income to survive those expensive lawyers. Can anyone help?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
My wife and I were visiting Orlando February 2023, we didn’t know how this timeshare work. We signed the contract with Westgate. Now, we’re regretting because of what they promised was not true. 1. They promised of unlimited vacation with their partner( Intervial international) with only $99-$499 per week.
2. Timeshare is like an investment, we could sell for higher price.( was a lied, no handwritten or stated on contract)
3. They promised of getting a gift card every year that worth $1500 as a reward for become member.
We looking for help to exit the timeshare that we currently have mortgage payments. Is there any legal way to get out? What if we stop the payments altogether, can they take away our assets or money in our bank? My wife is currently unemployed and pregnant, we don’t have enough income to survive those expensive lawyers. Can anyone help?
Nothing you can do but either pay it off or default. You can’t sell it or use the Westgate Legacy program to exit until it’s free and clear. The II option the told you about is for Getaway vacations which works great in some markets, but usually not prime locations during prime season. I suggest you spend some time on here and learn how to take advantage of what you have. It’s twice the loss if you bought retail and then don’t use it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A timeshare is not worth going broke over or paying to support instead of your family. There will be repercussions, but your family is your priority.

Tell them to Pound Sand! and that they are not getting a dime from you. Write them a Certified letter that any further communication with you must be by US Mail and to never call you.

Good Luck! It won't be easy, but you are a looong way from them getting a judgement and taking your money or savings.

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nothing you can do but either pay it off or default. You can’t sell it or use the Westgate Legacy program to exit until it’s free and clear. The II option the told you about is for Getaway vacations which works great in some markets, but usually not prime locations during prime season. I suggest you spend some time on here and learn how to take advantage of what you have. It’s twice the loss if you bought retail and then don’t use it.
What if I want to default that timeshare? Is there a consequence? How bad is it?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A timeshare is not worth going broke over or paying to support instead of your family. There will be repercussions, but your family is your priority.

Tell them to Pound Sand! and that they are not getting a dime from you. Write them a Certified letter that any further communication with you must be by US Mail and to never call you.

Good Luck! It won't be easy, but you are a looong way from them getting a judgement and taking your money or savings.

Jim
Thank you Jim. Can I really do something like that? Are they really gonna stop calling me?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jim. Can I really do something like that? Are they really gonna stop calling me?
See a lawyer who's versed in bankruptcy and/or debt issues. Truth told, you had 10 days or so s\to see the paragraph in that contract that explained exactly how to rescind and make this purchase disappear. We've been here and would have gladly helped you end this. We have to assume that you are an adult and are responsible for your monetary decisions.

Yes. They can be forced to stop calling you.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
What if I want to default that timeshare? Is there a consequence? How bad is it?
defaulting on the timeshare maintenance fees due to it being a westgate, chances are they will report that to your credit report and turn you over to collections.

defaulting on the loan, even higher chances of being reported to credit bureaus, and an almost certainty to be turned over to collections.

now what collections agencies can possibly do to attempt to recover the balance of the loan varies significantly from situation to situation and state to state.

chantille

Reaction score

Good Luck! It won't be easy, but you are a looong way from them getting a judgement and taking your money or saving

Need help! While on vacation on February 28th we made the mistake and purchased. When we got home March 2nd, thankfully we realized that there was a 10-day period to cancel. We mailed out our letter and the binder with the tablet. With delivery we made it signature is required and as I've been tracking it arrived at the postal office today and was marked for redelivery scheduled for next business day and a minute later updated to "available for pickup".

I was under the impression that this would be delivered straight to the address of Westgate Lakes, LLC and now I'm wondering if they will pick it up? Has anyone had any experience in this? Why did it change? This is coming from Canada.
I'm worried this won't get to them and will be sent back to me... Any help would be appreciated!

Jim

chantille

Reaction score
Need help! While on vacation on February 28th we made the mistake and purchased. When we got home March 2nd, thankfully we realized that there was a 10-day period to cancel. We mailed out our letter and the binder with the tablet. With delivery we made it signature is required and as I've been tracking it arrived at the postal office today and was marked for redelivery scheduled for next business day and a minute later updated to "available for pickup".

I was under the impression that this would be delivered straight to the address of Westgate Lakes, LLC and now I'm wondering if they will pick it up? Has anyone had any experience in this? Why did it change? This is coming from Canada.
I'm worried this won't get to them and will be sent back to me... Any help would be appreciated!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

NO NEED TO WORRY as long as it was Postmarked within the required timeframe (and you retained a copy of the Postmarked Mailing Receipt). All that matters is the date of the actual mailing. It may not arrive for weeks -- doesn't matter at all. It is the actual Postmark that counts.

Now go out and celebrate, and sign up to be a "TUG Member".

chantille

Reaction score
NO NEED TO WORRY as long as it was Postmarked within the required timeframe (and you retained a copy of the Postmarked Mailing Receipt). All that matters is the date of the actual mailing. It may not arrive for weeks -- doesn't matter at all. It is the actual Postmark that counts.

Thank you for your response!

The tracking says "available for pickup" does Westgate actually pickup? I'm worried why this is happening and they won't pickup and it will be sent back to me.

chantille

Reaction score

The tracking says "available for pickup" does Westgate actually pickup? I'm worried why this is happening and they won't pickup and it will be sent back to me.
Just called the post office and they said that the corporation goes and picks up express mail everyday Monday to Friday. So here's to hoping they pick it up on Monday and I can breath again, haha! Thanks again!

chantille

Reaction score

Just called the post office and they said that the corporation goes and picks up express mail everyday Monday to Friday. So here's to hoping they pick it up on Monday and I can breath again, haha! Thanks again!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

As @TheTimeTraveler posted, still no need to worry. Doesn’t even matter if it is sent back to you. You did your part and that is what the law recognizes. If it is sent back to you then you can keep the binder and tablet. If they tell you they must have it back you do not have to spend your money again to mail it to them. Tell them to come get it.

BTW, they have no requirement to advise you they are processing your rescission. What they will likely try to do is call you under the guise of needing to speak to you before they can process your rescission. It is yet another lie. If they get ahold of you they will attempt to talk you out of your rescission. Ignore any call from Westgate.

Congrats on rescinding.

Last edited:

chantille

Reaction score
As @TheTimeTraveler posted, still no need to worry. Doesn’t even matter if it is sent back to you. You did your part and that is what the law recognizes. If it is sent back to you then you can keep the binder and tablet. If they tell you they must have it back you do not have to spend your money again to mail it to them. Tell them to come get it.

BTW, they have no requirement to advise you they are processing your rescission. What they will likely try to do is call you under the guise of needing to speak to you before they can process your rescission. It is yet another lie. If they get ahold of you they will attempt to talk you out of your rescission. Ignore any call from Westgate.

Congrats on rescinding.
I appreciate everyone's help! Sorry for the multiple posts, still learning how to post on here.

Again, much appreciation to everyone.
God bless

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is there anyone know a good timeshare exit company? Are they really legit?

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone know a good timeshare exit company? Are they really legit?
No such thing. They can't do anything that you can't do yourself or save you from the consequences. They just charge you to do it, thus adding to your problems.

Take your time to run through your options as people have listed above, but the bottom line is that you signed a contract, and took out a loan. The loan is the think that will cause you the most problems, not many ways round that other than pay it off or default on it and face the consequences.

All the best, you are not alone, many have been where you are and make use of it to mitigate the impact until they can get out from under it, see if that is an option too. Never go to another timeshare sales presentation again.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No such thing. They can't do anything that you can't do yourself or save you from the consequences. They just charge you to do it, thus adding to your problems.

Take your time to run through your options as people have listed above, but the bottom line is that you signed a contract, and took out a loan. The loan is the think that will cause you the most problems, not many ways round that other than pay it off or default on it and face the consequences.

All the best, you are not alone, many have been where you are and make use of it to mitigate the impact until they can get out from under it, see if that is an option too. Never go to another timeshare sales presentation again.
Thanks

riverdrinker

Reaction score
defaulting on the timeshare maintenance fees due to it being a westgate, chances are they will report that to your credit report and turn you over to collections.

defaulting on the loan, even higher chances of being reported to credit bureaus, and an almost certainty to be turned over to collections.

now what collections agencies can possibly do to attempt to recover the balance of the loan varies significantly from situation to situation and state to state.
By defaulting, is the worst case scenario that it will be turned to collections. What is the worst case scenario? I believe it is the collections that have the right then to sue for it. do the laws that govern whether the companies can sue me depend on where I live? If so, I live in CA.