• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Marriott Vacation Club Insider Today

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think what is most interesting is that it refers to premier and premier plus owners having access to the Ritz properties. Haven't the sales agents been telling people that you must own trust points to have access to the Ritz properties? :rolleyes:

The most recent thing I remember hearing about the Ritz-Carlton is hotcoffee's report, when the salesperson reported RC options for Premier and Premier Plus members. That's interesting, IMO - they got something right. :D

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Ritz properties are a nice option but the points levels properties are so high to be any value even if a premiere level. I mean I would not use two years worth of allotment to get one week at a Ritz property.

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally think the 7 and 14 day discounted points booking is laughable. At those dates the discount should be closer to 50%, not 20%. Definitely not a reason to pay big bucks to buy points to get to premier or premier plus.

I agree also. I could see if maybe you live near a resort that it is not an unreasonable drive trip then you might be able to take advantage but get flights and everything else to work for reasonable rates could make the trip even more expensive than value of the 20% discount.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I didn't even join and I got both emails.

Not only am I not enrolled I am not eligible to enroll and considering how much I paid for my resales there is not a chance in *ell that I would buy enough points at retail to become premier, yet I received 2 emails too.

Check your spam folders.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't fret, perhaps I got yours. We receive two emails.

One titled "Marriott Vacation Club Insider Select — 10 Great Reasons to Make Orlando Your Next Vacation." and the other "Marriott Vacation Club Insider Bulletin - Your Benefits Keep Getting Better!". The one that mentioned Orlando didn't mention anything about Orlando in the body of the e-mail.

We also get these - we own a week at MGC, and an EOY at BPT. This does not make us premier anything. Nor do we have ANY intention of buying points or more property, even after-market things. To be told "Give us a heap of money, beyond what you already gave us, and we can save you a percentage when you spend MORE money!" is silly to us. And I agree - whoever is *designing* these mailings has stopped making them click-friendly. Maybe that is the point - go to the Marriott site, and be seduced by MORE verbiage??? I respectfully decline.

Mamianka

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
Over a two-day period, July 26 to July 27, Marriott Vacation Club sent several e-mail communications including:

July 26:
From: Marriott Vacation Club [Marriott@marriott-email.com]
Subject: Save 40% this Fall at Marriott Vacation Club Resorts

July 27:

From: Marriott Vacation Club [marriottvacationclub@email1.marriott-vacations.com]
Subject: Marriott Vacation Club Insider Select — 10 Great Reasons to Make Orlando Your Next Vacation

From: Marriott Vacation Club [marriottvacationclub@email1.marriott-vacations.com]
Subject: Marriott Vacation Club Insider Bulletin - Your Benefits Keep Getting Better!

The July 26th e-mail appears to be from the hotel side of the business and is outside the scope of the Insider topic; whereas the July 27th e-mails are Insider Select and Insider Bulletin.

In addition to the opt-out theory, it is my perception that Marriott Vacation Club is extremely cautious about crossing solicitation lines. In order to avoid costly fines (and possibly other penalties), MVC observes 100% compliance with state and federal registration statutes. According to a recent TUG post, MVCD is now registered in the state of New York. However, the State and Legal Disclosures at marriottvacationclub.com do not reflect that.

To that very point, TUG recipients of the MVC Insider emails can confirm that a link to the State and Legal Disclosures page appears on the lower right side of the e-mail: State and Legal Disclosures

Perhaps Tuggers in the legal profession (I am not) can comment?

kjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
The discounted 7 -14 day advance offer can be a good deal for those of us who live near the resorts. We have a choice of over ten Marriotts within a days drive from our home. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the 20% discount is not much of an incentive to do it. They've already lowered the purchasing power by skimming off the top. The discount should be more like 50% before we would show any interest. Perhaps the offer might appeal to those wanting to stay some extra time after they have already arrived at a resort. Not much of a benefit IMO.

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
I respectfully decline.
+1

We paid full freight for our weeks and have opted not to enroll or purchase points. There were many factors that contributed to our decision in favor of vacation ownership:
  1. The product itself (resort location/villa layout/design/upscale furnishings)
  2. The product's image (well-known, trusted brand)
  3. The image of the company that sells and maintains the product
  4. The philosophy underlying vacation ownership and Marriott's mission to deliver 'memorable vacations'
  5. The service we can and do expect as owners
  6. How well Marriott associates deliver services
  7. The advantages of vacation ownership considering the price of other vacation alternatives over the long term
  8. The direct and indirect benefits of vacation ownership including the positive perception of others (for being able to afford and enjoy luxury vacations in a home-like setting)
MVC's June 20, 2010 e-mail announcement to 'increase flexibility' with points and cease sales of resort-based, weeks-based vacation ownership greatly undermined our confidence and trust as owners or should I say, 'Insiders'. Echoing the post,
I respectfully decline.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
For those who are not getting the E-mails, I wonder, if on your profile at My-vacationclub.com, you haven't select the option to get the junk E-mails Marriott sends out. If you've opted out of the promtional E-mails, that could by why your not getting these things

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I own the one deeded Gold week at MFC and did not enroll in the points thing, why did I get one?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
In trying again to fix the insider problem today, I learned that in addition to the monthly Insider letter, there is a separate Premier Plus Insider letter that is also sent most months. (But not to me.)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In trying again to fix the insider problem today, I learned that in addition to the monthly Insider letter, there is a separate Premier Plus Insider letter that is also sent most months. (But not to me.)

Hmmm. That doesn't sound familiar. Can you please share whatever you learn?

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
As the OP of this thread, I can tell you that I am not a DC member (Trust or Legacy), I have no intention of joining (does not make sense with my resorts) and I do not even get invited to presentations at Marriott resorts any more. I have no idea why I get these Vacation Club Insider newsletters.

Ray

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Ritz properties are a nice option but the points levels properties are so high to be any value even if a premiere level. I mean I would not use two years worth of allotment to get one week at a Ritz property.

I agree with this. If I were not already a Premier member, I would not buy points just to gain Premier status so that I could go to a Ritz.

But, what is interesting is the fact that they made the Ritz option only available to Premier and Premier-Plus members. That might suggest that there will be more options targetting Premier and Premier-Plus members

Marriott probably does not get much profit from weeks enrollments. I suspect that they make most of their money from points purchases. So, they have a big incentive to try to get us all to purchase points (or more points). It will be interesting to see what (if any) benefits they will create to target Premier and Premier-Plus members as the program matures.

kjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
For some reason I also got two of these bulletins. The biggest laugh is the 30,000 point requirement to attend the Master's golf tournament and/or the Kentucky Derby. There might be a few people who would be able or interested to do that but the price would be giving up at least three years of timesharing while continuing to pay the yearly maintenance fees. While they are nice trip packages you have to question the motivation for this window dressing. I guess that we're supposed to drool after we read about it.

If you add up the cost of these packages it's the same thing as the travel packages--not worth it even if you accumulate the points. It would probably fit a few people's bucket list but that's about all.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who are not getting the E-mails, I wonder, if on your profile at My-vacationclub.com, you haven't select the option to get the junk E-mails Marriott sends out. If you've opted out of the promtional E-mails, that could by why your not getting these things

I have looked at "My Account Profile(s)", and I don't see any place to opt in or out of promotional emails. Am I looking in the wrong place? If so, where do I find this option? :confused:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on looking at the posts, it appears that these emails are only being sent to those who do not qualify as Premier or Premier Plus, perhaps to entice them to upgrade their memberships.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
Based on looking at the posts, it appears that these emails are only being sent to those who do not qualify as Premier or Premier Plus, perhaps to entice them to upgrade their memberships.

It certainly does look like that reading the posts but I am a Premier Plus and I did receive both emails.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think receipt of the e-mails has anything to do with one's status; enrolled, premier, premier plus.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
For some reason I also got two of these bulletins. The biggest laugh is the 30,000 point requirement to attend the Master's golf tournament and/or the Kentucky Derby.

For THAT amount of points, I would want to RIDE in the Derby - for me, on a draft animal, and dead last. This is like those Boston Symphony concerts where Big Donors are allowed to play the triangle in the Haydn "Toy Symphony". Or let me take unlimited cuts at the ball at the Masters, with a wiffleball bat. Otherwise, I think I shall pass on this opportunity to use the next 8 years of my points.

M

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It certainly does look like that reading the posts but I am a Premier Plus and I did receive both emails.
No, the MVCI people I have spoken to are very surprised that I don't get them. Also, one of the Insiders versions is limited solely to Premier Plus owners.

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree also. I could see if maybe you live near a resort that it is not an unreasonable drive trip then you might be able to take advantage but get flights and everything else to work for reasonable rates could make the trip even more expensive than value of the 20% discount.

It depends on your circumstances. I just called Marriott yesterday when getting this email and cancelled and then re-booked my reservation at Crystal Shores and saved over 400 points by doing so. I thought they might balk at cancelling and rebooking but they had no problem. So it would definitely be worth it to call within 7 days of check in (14 for premiere plus) and save a bundle of points if the unit is still available.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It depends on your circumstances. I just called Marriott yesterday when getting this email and cancelled and then re-booked my reservation at Crystal Shores and saved over 400 points by doing so. I thought they might balk at cancelling and rebooking but they had no problem. So it would definitely be worth it to call within 7 days of check in (14 for premiere plus) and save a bundle of points if the unit is still available.

Oh, now that's a perk I didn't think of! Good catch!

Plus I just thought of something else. Premier and Premier Plus owners pay a higher annual fee for the DC - I think that makes it okay to offer them more benefits.