• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oh NO! First the Polar Vortex, now a Velveeta shortage

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Egads! What next?!! Does this mean we might have to resort to real cheese? :eek:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I also saw a sign on the wall of Pump it up (a bounce house/inflatable party place) that there is a national shortage in helium. So no balloon bouquets were available.:eek:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Helium Shortage

I also saw a sign on the wall of Pump it up (a bounce house/inflatable party place) that there is a national shortage in helium. So no balloon bouquets were available.:eek:

This shortage has been going on for about four years. Before I recently retired we sometimes as a company had to pay 3 times as much when we could even get any.
Bart

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate both.....Freezing cold sucks; velveeta is worse...Everyone says Philly cheese steaks are the BEST...They are the best when using regular American cheese; not velveeta....JMO

ps....I live in PA

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate both.....Freezing cold sucks; velveeta is worse...Everyone says Philly cheese steaks are the BEST...They are the best when using regular American cheese; not velveeta....JMO

ps....I live in PA

But you can't beat Rotel and velveta-a much underated party dip here in PA

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Easily the BEST dip there is! You don't even have to care whatever is in second place. :)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
O.K., I'll "bite"...

Not a fan of the cheese-like substance popularly known as Velveeta, but what on earth is "Rotel"? :shrug:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the cheese-like substance popularly known as Velveeta, but what on earth is "Rotel"? :shrug:

Ro-Tel is a brand of diced tomatoes and green chiles. Look near the canned tomatoes at your market. You warm the Velveeta cheese-like goo and mix the Ro-Tel into it. A little spicy, a little cheesy. Great dip for chips or even veggies- like celery or carrot chips.
http://www.ro-tel.com/index.jsp

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never used Ro-Tel...And would never use velveeta on it; I'm sure...ick!!!!

Check out a Weis or Mr. Z's market. (NEPA residents) Right now the Ro-Tel is on sale $1 a can...I stocked up! Not just for mixing with Velveeta. I use it quite often when the recipe calls for diced tomatoes, adds a little heat to the dish.

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of Philly Cheese Steaks. Tried them in Philly and the meat tasted "boiled." But hot Velveeta with Rotel on a Scoop tortilla chip--ummm. Might have something to do with where you live. Best real steaks are found in Omaha. Just a former midwesterner's opinion. And remember, if it tastes good, it probably isn't good for you.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an alternative to Velveeta for the Rotel dip, I found canned nacho cheese (and there are some varieties in jars next to the chip isles), and that works well, too. I've learned to drain the Rotel tomatoes though, and I put it all in a small dip-size crockpot.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

ps....I live in PA

I thought it was Cheez Whiz that they put on Philly Cheese Steaks, not Velveeta? Another cheese like product from Kraft.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought it was Cheez Whiz that they put on Philly Cheese Steaks, not Velveeta? Another cheese like product from Kraft.

WOW...Thank u so much for allowing me to confess my mistake...It's CHEEZ WHIZ I hate; not velveeta...I have a great memory; it's just short..

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of Philly Cheese Steaks. Tried them in Philly and the meat tasted "boiled." But hot Velveeta with Rotel on a Scoop tortilla chip--ummm. Might have something to do with where you live. Best real steaks are found in Omaha. Just a former midwesterner's opinion. And remember, if it tastes good, it probably isn't good for you.

Or where you grew up. I grew up near Memphis and I have yet to be served Ro-tel dip in the 30 plus years I have lived here in Pennsylvania. I make my own.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have seen Rotel next to Velveeta in the store. Never knew how to combine them. Thanks.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My favorite cheese dip is to take a big block of Velveeta, a can of Rotel, a small can of chilies (hot or mild), and a pound of browned breakfast sausage (spicy or mild) or Chorizo for even more kick. Don't drain either the Rotel or chilies (it gets too thick otherwise), dump it all into a crockpot, and heat until fully melted.

Very easy to make, and is a great dip w/ tortilla chips.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys are making me hungry- and the weekend is coming.......

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not a huge fan of Velveeta as an ingredient in dips. It gets cold too fast and gets that yucky "skin" on the top.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait, can we start over?? Velveeta isn't real cheese? What is real cheese then? I was raised on Velveeta! Are you sure it's not real? Is the Kraft singles in those individual wrappings real cheese?

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I am not a huge fan of Velveeta as an ingredient in dips. It gets cold too fast and gets that yucky "skin" on the top.
The recipe I posted above stays warm in the crock pot and never stands around long enough to develop the skin. (I usually only make it for a group of guys watching football. :D)

Kurt