• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oh, the irony.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Saw this on FB and had to share. What levels of narcissism and absence of emotional intelligence are necessary to pen this posting for your "Personal Assistant".

1711300152708.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Internships are usually unpaid or low pay. They allow inexperienced young people, often college students, to gain on-the-job experience. Nothing to see here.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
:shrug:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The irony is in having an unpaid personal assistant to "Fight Slavery". To funny.

Ok, this cracks me up. It's something that Jay Leno might have used in his show.

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Most unpaid internships are not legal. To be legal they must be true teaching/learning opportunities, and cannot perform the essential functions of the company. Put another way, they cannot do something that the company needs to function, unless they are objectively supplemental to the existing functions for purposes of learning. When the "intern" leaves, the company can still do what it does without adding someone in their place.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Most unpaid internships are not legal. To be legal they must be true teaching/learning opportunities, and cannot perform the essential functions of the company. Put another way, they cannot do something that the company needs to function, unless they are objectively supplemental to the existing functions for purposes of learning. When the "intern" leaves, the company can still do what it does without adding someone in their place.
This looks like it is in the UK, are the laws the same there as they are in the USA?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This looks like it is in the UK, are the laws the same there as they are in the USA?
Probably not. But exploitation is universal.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Internships are usually unpaid or low pay. They allow inexperienced young people, often college students, to gain on-the-job experience. Nothing to see here.
Not true. My daughter’s summer internship will be paying $35/hour.

Internships are a two way relationship . They benefit the intern as you describe but it allows an employer to vet , cheaply, potential new hires. It’s like a long audition.

I would advise any college student to never take an unpaid internship.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think student teachers are paid.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Not true. My daughter’s summer internship will be paying $35/hour.

Internships are a two way relationship . They benefit the intern as you describe but it allows an employer to vet , cheaply, potential new hires. It’s like a long audition.

I would advise any college student to never take an unpaid internship.
I worked for a big company and our interns were well paid and the company provided low cost housing. The "trial period" worked both ways. We got to see if we would want to hire them and they got to see if it was the type of work and company that they would want. Most of our offers to new employees went to interns.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I worked for a big company and our interns were well paid and the company provided low cost housing. The "trial period" worked both ways. We got to see if we would want to hire them and they got to see if it was the type of work and company that they would want. Most of our offers to new employees went to interns.

Exactly. A strong internship program benefits both parties.

Why would someone want to work for a business that doesn’t respect them enough to pay?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have no idea about British law, but the internship laws in the US are different for a non-profit than for a for-profit company. The excerpt below is from the US Dept. of Labor's website. FLSA = Fair Labor Standards Act. Millions of people donate their time to charitable organizations and causes that they support. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's not wrong either. YMMV

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 1.24.34 PM.png

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a little different because it is part of their course work.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Same with my company. We pay interns very well. Its a great opportunity for them and a try before you buy for us.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have no idea about British law, but the internship laws in the US are different for a non-profit than for a for-profit company. The excerpt below is from the US Dept. of Labor's website. FLSA = Fair Labor Standards Act. Millions of people donate their time to charitable organizations and causes that they support. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's not wrong either. YMMV

View attachment 90135
I'm all for Volunteer work. I do so myself. However there are differences between an internship and volunteering.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Be sure you let the US Dept. of Labor know that, since they use the phrases "Unpaid Internship," and "where the Intern volunteers..." on their website. Have a great evening! :hi:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Be sure you let the US Dept. of Labor know that, since they use the phrases "Unpaid Internship," and "where the Intern volunteers..." on their website. Have a great evening! :hi:
There's what is legal and what is ethical. When dealing with the government, they are not always the same.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When my Son first started with Goldman Sachs he (and a group of others) were brought on as 6 month Interns. They were very well paid. They had to find and pay for their own Housing. The Company bought lunch and many dinners. After 6 months the Company made permanent Offers to about 2/3 of them.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually they pay tuition to work for free. When I was a student teacher, my supervising teacher took the nine weeks off, never observed me, took all her sick days, etc.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Actually they pay tuition to work for free. When I was a student teacher, my supervising teacher took the nine weeks off, never observed me, took all her sick days, etc.
Same experience for me. I was alone in the classroom most of the time, while my supervising teacher was working on her master's degree. She was also in the office, training to take over for the principal during his long sabbatical. She came into the classroom some mornings to sit and drink her coffee before class, then disappeared as the kids arrived.

My supervisor from the college was great. She was the epitome of a great educator and one of my favorite professors at the school. She is still a friend.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Same experience for me. I was alone in the classroom most of the time, while my supervising teacher was working on her master's degree. She was also in the office, training to take over for the principal during his long sabbatical. She came into the classroom some mornings to sit and drink her coffee before class, then disappeared as the kids arrived.

My supervisor from the college was great. She was the epitome of a great educator and one of my favorite professors at the school. She is still a friend.
That certainly seems to cross the line.