• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just charged part of our 2017 MFs on the CSR for WSJ-VGV, WKORV, WPORV and WKV - I will follow-up with transaction designation when charges go through.

If these go through designated as Travel by CSR - then will get one for Robin as well.

Good news - WSJ-VGV, WKORV, WPORV, and WKV MFs are considered Travel by CSR. Already received $300 travel credit.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Harborside also went through as travel. I received my $300 credit but I haven't been charged the $450 annual fee and it isn't showing that I earned any UR's for the CSR yet. I heard someone mention that the $450 hit the card before the card arrived.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Harborside also went through as travel. I received my $300 credit but I haven't been charged the $450 annual fee and it isn't showing that I earned any UR's for the CSR yet. I heard someone mention that the $450 hit the card before the card arrived.

I haven't had the $450 fee hit yet either.

I signed Robin up - funny, she has a higher limit than me even though I put my income in as higher than hers.

Now to sign-up for Global Entry or TSApre - do I understand correctly, Global Entry gives TSApre as well?

Westnick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the $450 fee hit yet either.

I signed Robin up - funny, she has a higher limit than me even though I put my income in as higher than hers.

Now to sign-up for Global Entry or TSApre - do I understand correctly, Global Entry gives TSApre as well?

That is correct. Global Entry includes TSA pre.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
That is correct. Global Entry includes TSA pre.

Thanks - I just signed up for GE and paid the $100 fee with the CSR that is reimbursed. Hopefully will get an appointment soon at SFO.

jeff01

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can confirm the $300 credit works for SBP Palmetto, the credit posted the same day as the charge and the maintenance fee payment earned 3x points.

Sep 14, 2016 BROADWAY PALMETTO MAINT.
Sep 14, 2016 TRAVEL CREDIT $300/YEAR

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
Thanks - I just signed up for GE and paid the $100 fee with the CSR that is reimbursed. Hopefully will get an appointment soon at SFO.

Is the GE covered only for the card holder?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

Yes, that's correct. Edit - it's not specific to the card holder, but only one is covered every 4 years.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Just be aware that if you have 5 or more new accounts on your credit report within the past 24 months, Chase will deny you. Turns out they count HELOCs and Authorized User cards towards that total, as I found out the hard way :confused:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

I read on another credit card forum that it does not have to be the card holder that applies for GE. It can be anyone. They just apply the credit to whatever global entry fee shows up on the card no matter who its for.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Just be aware that if you have 5 or more new accounts on your credit report within the past 24 months, Chase will deny you. Turns out they count HELOCs and Authorized User cards towards that total, as I found out the hard way :confused:

That probably means they count the Credit inquiry that was made for the Vistana Time Share. That sucks!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That probably means they count the Credit inquiry that was made for the Vistana Time Share. That sucks!
Doubtful, unless it was done through Chase. Was the loan through Chase? It's not really about the number of credit inquiries; it's about the number of Chase cards one has applied for and received over the last two years.

Just apply and see if it goes through.

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the Sapphire card. I've got more than 5 Chase openings in the last two years and more than a dozen cards overall so the limits dont apply to everyone.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 5/24 rule seems to be enforced pretty closely. Some people are exempt because they are Chase Private Clients (min $250K held in Chase accounts).

Some may get lucky...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read on another credit card forum that it does not have to be the card holder that applies for GE. It can be anyone. They just apply the credit to whatever global entry fee shows up on the card no matter who its for.

I think this is correct. I don't think they have a way to tell who applied, the charge posting does not show the name of the person who applied. At least not mine...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a side note, Chase refunds the 100 GE fee the same day. And, this fee is independent of the $300 travel credit.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is that the CC companies are more concerned with the total amount of outstanding credit than they are with the number of credit cards.

I was recently denied a Citi card when I applied online. I called the reconsideration number provided and I was told I was denied because I had 6 other Citi cards with very high amount of total credit. They asked permission to take some credit from one card and apply to the new card and the new card was then approved.

If you get denied always call and find out why you were denied. I churn credit cards for miles/points all the time and the only time I've been denied has been for the reason I mentioned above.

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. How does it compare with other cards? We use Capitol One Venture. It earns two points for every dollar charged and points are worth 1 cent toward any travel expenses as recognized by the card. Our Wyndham maintenance fees are considered travel expenses.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sounds good. How does it compare with other cards? We use Capitol One Venture. It earns two points for every dollar charged and points are worth 1 cent toward any travel expenses as recognized by the card. Our Wyndham maintenance fees are considered travel expenses.

We abandoned the Capital One Venture a few years ago. I build points pretty quickly with the other cards, but we do a lot of credit card spend each year for our chimney cleaning business, and we do own a lot of timeshares. And I do manufactured spend, too, while it works.

I can easily see our manufactured spend process ending at some point. The credit card company could stop 5X points for office supplies (or just drop us from the credit card for maxing out that benefit), Staples could stop selling Visa Gift Cards, our local store could stop selling MO's. There are other things, too, that could stop our procedure (the bank could stop taking MO's). It's a fragile system. One step depends upon the rest of the steps, and it's not easy to do, either.

With our Manufactured Spend and timeshares, and travel expenses, restaurants, groceries, utilities, and everything else we charge, we easily spend $250K on our credit cards each year. $100K of that is MS. That's 500K points per year.

It works now, but it could all end at any time. I posted earlier in this thread what UR points have done for us in our travels to/from Hawaii, and a Southwest ticket of $100 is only about 6,000 points. 100,000 points is a lot of Southwest flights. 100,000 points transferred to Hyatt will get us a lot of nights in San Francisco, that's for sure.

It's difficult to compare credit cards one to another, which is why I have a spreadsheet. It's kept me sane because I can have a column explaining the value of points with each card, so I can refresh my memory when I wonder what card to use for a purchase.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
We abandoned the Capital One Venture a few years ago. I build points pretty quickly with the other cards, but we do a lot of credit card spend each year for our chimney cleaning business, and we do own a lot of timeshares. And I do manufactured spend, too, while it works.

I can easily see our manufactured spend process ending at some point. The credit card company could stop 5X points for office supplies (or just drop us from the credit card for maxing out that benefit), Staples could stop selling Visa Gift Cards, our local store could stop selling MO's. There are other things, too, that could stop our procedure (the bank could stop taking MO's). It's a fragile system. One step depends upon the rest of the steps, and it's not easy to do, either.

With our Manufactured Spend and timeshares, and travel expenses, restaurants, groceries, utilities, and everything else we charge, we easily spend $250K on our credit cards each year. $100K of that is MS. That's 500K points per year.

It works now, but it could all end at any time. I posted earlier in this thread what UR points have done for us in our travels to/from Hawaii, and a Southwest ticket of $100 is only about 6,000 points. 100,000 points is a lot of Southwest flights. 100,000 points transferred to Hyatt will get us a lot of nights in San Francisco, that's for sure.

It's difficult to compare credit cards one to another, which is why I have a spreadsheet. It's kept me sane because I can have a column explaining the value of points with each card, so I can refresh my memory when I wonder what card to use for a purchase.

Wow, I read one of your previous posts where you mentioned MS and was wondering what the amount was. Sounds like you are pro or semi pro...;)...I always thought it was too much work, so I never did it. From what I have read and seen, it seems this may end soon. USPS is shutting this MO process and stores are not willing to sell GC paid with CC...enjoy (exploit) while it lasts I guess...

Would you mind sharing what is the percentage you pay in fees to get $1 MS :ponder: all in...

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Would you mind sharing what is the percentage you pay in fees to get $1 MS all in...

It's a process and takes time. We don't use USPS. We don't go into stores to buy cards. We do go into a grocery store and buy MO's.

I get a lot of points free, so I have to separate what we get for paying MF's and such, so MS, alone, $89.50 for 15K points. 15K points gets a flight on SW worth $240. It's worth it to us. Chase Ink Bold and Chase Ink Plus get 5X at office supply stores.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)

stayed away from Manufactured Spend and card churning (mostly). Seems like I can do quite well with just trying to put everything I buy on credit cards.

It is practically a part-time job though. You really have to pay attention which card to charge what on. However, this year both of us went to Hawaii for free from the midwest, and I did go to London twice and only had to pay the taxes. And two trips to San Francisco and Dallas thrown in.. so this "hobby" can be lucrative.

You also have to have a good income and a good credit history.

A bit annoyed though it's getting harder to get good credit card bonuses. Looks like it's only going to be a couple of cards a year now.... I still have a lot of those AVIOS from those Chase British Airways cards when they gave 100K Avios as a bonus. Both of us got them, and I still have a lot of them left... (of course, I added a lot more to them). Used some to fly to Inverness from London a couple weeks ago. Really love those 100K bonuses.

Last edited:

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
It's a process and takes time. We don't use USPS. We don't go into stores to buy cards. We do go into a grocery store and buy MO's.

I get a lot of points free, so I have to separate what we get for paying MF's and such, so MS, alone, $89.50 for 15K points. 15K points gets a flight on SW worth $240. It's worth it to us. Chase Ink Bold and Chase Ink Plus get 5X at office supply stores.

I buy gift cards on eBay, ONLY when they have the 4X-10X eBay Bucks and only when the cards are discounted. If you buy Paypal Digital Gift Cards you get 5X by using the Chase Ink Plus card for the the gift cards. I bought one yesterday for Macy's: was $105 for $100 - less $10 eBay Bucks - less $1 for the portal and $5 for using the Chase Card. saved $21. of course, eBay Bucks are only issued every quarter and you have to wait to spend them. But no problem.

Not sure why Chase counts Paypal Digital Gift Cards as a 5X item but they've been doing it for quite awhile.

I still have quite a few eBay Staples GC that I got probably 15% off on average so I don't use the ink card much for Staples these days.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

$89.50 for 15K UR via MS and then using for travel seems like an extremely good return, congrats! Sounds like you figured a way to streamline the logistics also...:)