• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Point at Poipu renovations

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Renovations have started at the Point at Poipu, beginning with Building 6. Over the next several posts I'll put up some pics we took when we were there the last two weeks of October.

I understand that the timing of the project was connected to the settlement of claims regarding building soffits from the Water Intrusion project. The contractor apparently used improper material, and the soffit failure began soon after the Water Intrusion repairs were completed. With that issue apparently being settled, the resort is combining soffit replacement, and repair of underlying damage, with the upgrading of the units. so that buildings will only be taken out of service once instead of twice.

First, below is a picture of building 6 showing soffit damage below the roof line. Similar damage is apparent on Buildings throughout the resort, most seriously on those that are closest to the water.

1698885982392.png

Our first week there they were actively erecting scaffolding around Building 6 …

1698886164512.png

… including the interior courtyard.

1698886271211.png

Materials are being staged on the north side of the building

1698886472090.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A large part of the parking area on the west side of the property has been taken over for project materials staging.

1698886574016.png

1698886604031.png

The parking area on the north side of building 2, next to the maintenance shop, is still open. But it fills up quickly.

1698886902701.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The breezeway on the north side of Building 6 that gives access to Building 7 is still open - that's where I took one of the pictures I posted above. But they did not close off access to Building 6. So one day, when nothing was going on, I wandered into Building 6 to have a look see. Unit 6-208 (ground level) did not have a door, so I wandered in. As shown below, units are being taken down to at least the dry wall and subflooring:

1698887341501.png

Detail of the kitchen area:

1698887416274.png

And the hallway bathroom:

1698887496748.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When we did our "Owners Update", we were shown a prototype remodeled unit - I believe it was unit 4-201. This was a prototype, and changes were made for the final design. As I post pictures I'll note the changes.

To start, we were told that they felt the color scheme was too dark. So overall, most of the brown tones will be lighter than what is shown in the shots below.

Living room area. LVP (Luxury vinyl plank) will be installed instead of carpeting.

1698888184083.png

Master bedroom and second bedroom. I don't recall if this will be carpeted or whether LVP will be used here as well. I assume that post-remodeling the second bedrooms will have a mix double twin beds and single queen beds.

1698888312561.png

1698888421956.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Master bathroom and hallway bathroom. I don't recall if this is the counter material that will be used or if they have switched to something else.

1698888529659.png

1698888615382.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And finally the kitchen:

1698888686005.png

1698888772562.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My concluding thoughts, from our 20+ years ownership. It's time for major renovations. The kitchens are particularly outdated. We also see a steadily increasing stream of maintenance issues, much of which is simply related to 30 years of weather exposure in a tropical ocean front setting. The water intrusion project addressed a number of issues, and was certainly more than a band-aid. But it still left a lot of issues.

For better or worse - frankly, for worse - the Point is wood-frame construction in an environment where reinforced concrete would have been a better choice. So there will be recurring significant maintenance expenditures. Hopefully, as improvements and upgrades are done, materials and construction will be used that are superior to the initial products. And adequate funding will be maintained to ensure that there are reserves to address the challenges created by the resort location. We may be nearing the end of the impacts of Sunterra's management bungles - which were only partially addressed during the Diamond Resorts era.

But as owners we need to recognize that our resort is an aging property in a harsh environment. We are hostage to Hilton Vacations, in the same way were hostage to Diamond and to Sunterra. To be sure, they will use their position to be sure that we get a haircut each year in management fees to contribute to their coffers. But even after that, we need to consider that resort upkeep and repair requirements will be an increasing obligation, for an aging resort located in a harsh environment.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Hopefully the current Contractors will get it right. Unfortunately in Oregon Constructors have gotten so bad that after you sign the Contract with the Prime (for major projects) you then sign a Contract with a different Prime to Birddog the first. There were major problems with the Worldmark by Wyndham in Seaside Oregon that resulted in a hugh Lawsuit against the Prime Contractor that was settled in Worldmark's favor.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
"Finally" is right. DW will be so happy the first year we check into a unit that's been updated. Thanks for all the pictures! :)
Yeah - the status of the kitchen was pretty dreary this last. Not just the fixtures, but also the skimpy cookware.

I'm also glad they're doing the "owner's update" again. I've missed those.
That's curious Art. We've never made a trip to the Point without being offered some kind of update.

This year, instead of giving us Mahalo certificates, we received a preloaded cash card, so we could use the funds anywhere and anyhow we wanted.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah - the status of the kitchen was pretty dreary this last. Not just the fixtures, but also the skimpy cookware.

That's curious Art. We've never made a trip to the Point without being offered some kind of update.

This year, instead of giving us Mahalo certificates, we received a preloaded cash card, so we could use the funds anywhere and anyhow we wanted.
My mistake. I thought you were talking about Jamie's "meet the manager" meetings, and not the sales presentations. :LOL:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The breezeway on the north side of Building 6 that gives access to Building 7 is still open - that's where I took one of the pictures I posted above. But they did not close off access to Building 6. So one day, when nothing was going on, I wandered into Building 6 to have a look see. Unit 6-208 (ground level) did not have a door, so I wandered in. As shown below, units are being taken down to at least the dry wall and subflooring:

View attachment 83434

Detail of the kitchen area:

View attachment 83435

And the hallway bathroom:

View attachment 83436
In the picture of the kitchen area it looks like mold on the upper portion of the walls. Or am I mistaken?
Have P@P indicated if there will be another special assessment or are the costs being paid by the contractors who are being sued?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have P@P indicated if there will be another special assessment or are the costs being paid by the contractors who are being sued?
They got enough from the settlement with the contractors that all the renovations will be paid from the reserves. There won't be a special assessment.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
They got enough from the settlement with the contractors that all the renovations will be paid from the reserves. There won't be a special assessment.
Not sure that is accurate. According to the maintenance fee bill i just received, part of the 14% increase this year will go to the renovation project and we should expect larger increases for the remainder of the project. We will not get a special assessment but maintenance fees will increase to pay for some of it.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure that is accurate. According to the maintenance fee bill i just received, part of the 14% increase this year will go to the renovation project and we should expect larger increases for the remainder of the project. We will not get a special assessment but maintenance fees will increase to pay for some of it.
I should have just said that a special assessment won't be necessary. Here's what the HOA statement said.

The operations portion of the assessment, including taxes and
insurance, increased by 9%. The cost of health insurance has
also soared, but it is an important benefit for the team. The
other 5.4%, or about $112 of the increase, is for the funding of
the five-year interior and exterior renovation project. While the
board considered ways to reduce the increase, including
extending the project, it believes the Owners want the
renovation to proceed as quickly as possible. During the

renovation, there will be higher-than-average increases to
fund the project. Once the project is funded, the reserve
assessment portion will be reduced. As part of Hilton Grand
Vacations’ ongoing commitment to The Point at Poipu and
the Owners, HGV has agreed to contribute $5 million to the
association to assist with these project costs.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
They got enough from the settlement with the contractors that all the renovations will be paid from the reserves.
I believe the settlement provided for all repairs from the soffit failures. Work beyond that to do the unit renovations is being funded by owners and HGV.

caligal

Reaction score
How disruptive is the remodeling to guests? In addition to renovations, they are also building new units? Do you know when and how many renovated units will be available by next year? Thanks

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As part of Hilton Grand
Vacations’ ongoing commitment to The Point at Poipu and
the Owners, HGV has agreed to contribute $5 million to the
association to assist with these project costs.
The story that is told on the sales floor is that HGV is paying for the renovations; no mention of any owner contribution. But would you expect anything different?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My mistake. I thought you were talking about Jamie's "meet the manager" meetings, and not the sales presentations. :LOL:
IIRC - Jamie had oversight over all of the DRI Hawaii operations; I'm not sure if that continued after the HGV acquisition.

We were told that she had plans to retire, but HGV talked her into staying on a while. Jamie has been with the resort for as long as we've been owners. At first she was ran Ohana VIP (aka, Reservations Manager), with Patti Ornellas working for her, while Lyle Otsuka was resort manager. After Lyle left, Jamie took over as resort manager, and Patti took over Ohana VIP.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, great update and amazing photos.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IIRC - Jamie had oversight over all of the DRI Hawaii operations; I'm not sure if that continued after the HGV acquisition.

We were told that she had plans to retire, but HGV talked her into staying on a while. Jamie has been with the resort for as long as we've been owners. At first she was ran Ohana VIP (aka, Reservations Manager), with Patti Ornellas working for her, while Lyle Otsuka was resort manager. After Lyle left, Jamie took over as resort manager, and Patti took over Ohana VIP.
Jamie is the best. I wish her a happy retirement whenever she's ready for it, but she will certainly be missed.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone know when these renovations are supposed to be finished?
At least 2 years. Could be more like 5. They average 95% occupancy so they don't want to take away too many units at a time.

rpennisi

Reaction score
In the picture of the kitchen area it looks like mold on the upper portion of the walls. Or am I mistaken?
Definitely mold, looking at it close up (wall and ceiling).