• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Receiving food shipment from the mainland

William Seward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
We’re traveling to St. Thomas. In the past we’ve had a small shipments of food from a vendor like Omaha Steaks or Kansas City Steaks. When I checked with them they don’t delivery to St. Thomas. We’ve had luck at location like Hawaii (closer). Does anyone have any experience with St. Thomas? A recommendation would greatly be appreciate. We like to grill…..

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
When we went to Grand Caymen we brought frozen Costco steaks, frozen lunch meat and booze. I think you can bring foods from the USA to St Thomas so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
They actually sell food and alcohol in the stores there. The price is a bit higher than mainland US prices, but not that much. I've read a few posts by folks that bring boxes of frozen meat like @easyrider, but have found the selection on the economy there completely adequate, including for grilling.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
When we went to Grand Caymen we brought frozen Costco steaks, frozen lunch meat and booze. I think you can bring foods from the USA to St Thomas so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill
When I was in college, before they had Costco on Maui, stuff was very expensive. We would bring pounds of frozen steaks, shrimp, fish in a box with frozen gel packs, and liquor in a checked bag. Everything was frozen solid on arrival. It was probably 25% of the local cost. We thought we were eating like kings. We shared with others and had a great time.

William Seward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone with you responces. My problems in going to St. Thomas, it appears we'll likely have to over night enroute. So my concern is about the dry ice being melted by our arrival the next day. So I thought about shipping without extremely high fees. St. THomas doesn't appear to have a Costco.

Costco on Maui, we have hit that location several times. I think it located right next to the airport. Very convenient.

Yes we can bring food from the states, but it the time element and melting. I'm concerned about the quality of the local grocery stores. We typically alway bering our food, except milk.

Thanks

Bill

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going shopping in foreign grocery stores is often one of the highlights of a trip. It is fun to see different products than you have back home. I am sure folks on St. Thomas buy groceries and take them home to cook just like we do.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks everyone with you responces. My problems in going to St. Thomas, it appears we'll likely have to over night enroute. So my concern is about the dry ice being melted by our arrival the next day. So I thought about shipping without extremely high fees. St. THomas doesn't appear to have a Costco.

Costco on Maui, we have hit that location several times. I think it located right next to the airport. Very convenient.

Yes we can bring food from the states, but it the time element and melting. I'm concerned about the quality of the local grocery stores. We typically alway bering our food, except milk.

Thanks

Bill
Note that dry ice needs to be properly vented to be in luggage, marked properly and limited weight. It doesn't melt, it turns into CO2 gas. Search dry ice on your airlines website for rules.

William Seward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'vre spoken to the airlines and the limit is 5lbs per person within baggage and it has to be labeled.

I'm just asking if anybody has any experience with food shipper's St. Thomas. Beyond Kansas City Steaks or Omaha Steaks?

Shiba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cost U Less it is a bulk wharehouse on St Thomas. I have made online purchases and picked up in store for grocery items. Haven’t bought steaks for grillin’ we eat out at night.

There’s a good steak house on the island named “Prime”. You might call them and see where they purchase there meats from.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Moe’s Market costs a bit more than Cost U Less but isn’t a bulk one and has a good meat selection. Good gourmet selection and stuff prepped for grilling.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
We pack steaks for a collapsible cooler and carry it on the plane. Steaks are not frozen and we use artificial ice. We been bringing food to STT for years and grilling.

William Seward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
legalfee - Thanks for your response. I'm thinking we'll take the steaks with us packed in dry ice. That's if we can get their reasonable in one day. Their is a good chance we'll be over nighting. Our kids are bring the grandkids and they are promoting over nighting enroute. I suspect the meat won't stay cold if it takes us two days to get to STT. So I was looking for an alternative route to bring meat for grilling. That's why I was asking if anybody had used a third party shipper (Omaha Steaks). I did get some good suggestions about buying locallly.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
legalfee - Thanks for your response. I'm thinking we'll take the steaks with us packed in dry ice. That's if we can get their reasonable in one day. Their is a good chance we'll be over nighting. Our kids are bring the grandkids and they are promoting over nighting enroute. I suspect the meat won't stay cold if it takes us two days to get to STT. So I was looking for an alternative route to bring meat for grilling. That's why I was asking if anybody had used a third party shipper (Omaha Steaks). I did get some good suggestions about buying locallly.
Yes makes sense. We fly non stop out of CLT and it's a 3 hour flight. Last time we brought enough filets for us and our 2 friends.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Caution on the dry ice. Most airlines have restrictions or prohibitions on dry ice. Google your airline name and "dry ice". Here is what a saerch of United and "Dry Ice" turned up:

Dry ice

You can bring bags, boxes or other packages containing 5.5 pounds (2.5 kg) or less of dry ice as carry-on or checked bags. These packages must meet the following requirements:
  • It cannot be made out of Styrofoam
  • It must allow for proper ventilation to let carbon dioxide out
  • It must be clearly marked as containing dry ice with the weight of the package and what’s inside
If you’re traveling within the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, we’ll charge $150 per item. For all other destinations we charge $200 per item. This is in addition to any extra bag fees that may apply to your trip. [emphasis added]
That quickly chews any savings on your grocery bill.

William Seward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks - Something I need to look into.

I knew about the 5.5 lbs, labeling and venting for dry Ice issue. But didn't know their might be a surchage.

Bill Seward

StaceyM

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Have steaks in a freezer before you pack them (frozen at least 24-48 hours to freeze solid). Regular freezer works fine, but chest freezer or deep freezer is bonus.
2. Use blocks of ice (not gel packs or ice cubes). I pour off a little bit of from a 8- or 16-oz bottles of drinking water and freeze them solid, that way any meltwater is contained in a bottle.
3. Pack in a sealed styrofoam container. Make sure you don't have a lot of empty space in the container: fill it as much as possible with meat and bottles of frozen drinking water and use packing material (packing peanuts, bubble wrap, crumpled newspaper) to fill any gaps. Personally, I would put the meat on the bottom and all the ice on top, you want any leaking air to melt the ice before it gets to the meat. Tape the cooler shut with duct tape or packing tape (Yes TSA may open it but they will re-tape).
4. Pack as checked luggage, the cargo holds on airplanes are almost freezing temps by themselves.

The steaks will almost certainly still be hard-frozen 48 hours later. (Don't open the container to "check on them" a few times during your trip, trust the science and leave any checking to the TSA).

5. If you are still worried, I would suggest go one step further: if you want ribeyes, buy a boneless prime rib and pack a $5 carving knife from Amazon or a grocery store in the container. Or if you want filet, buy a chunk of tenderloin. A large piece of meat will stay frozen longer than smaller pieces.

At a minimum the steaks will not get above 40 degrees (Refrigerator temperature) in 48 hours. Odds are they will still be hard-frozen.

Three examples:
We buy frozen meat from Slanker Farms and he uses a cardboard box that he lines with styrofoam insulation. No additional ice, but he packs the boxes full so everything is snugly packed with frozen meat. It is shipped 2 days in August (in Texas) in un-airconditioned UPS trucks, and it arrives on our doorstep frozen (or partly frozen when it was delivered one morning and we didn't get it off the porch until evening).

We went with some friends on a fishing charter in Maui and caught like 15 Mahi-Mahi. The captain cleaned the fish and they took it to their hotel and the hotel staff put it in their freezer. My friends packed it in a styrofoam cooler the next day with some bagged ice and checked it. Their return flight was on Labor day, and Delta offered like $1500 per person plus hotel for voluntary bumps. There were some other issues, and they got home ~72 hours late (so about 4 days of total travel time) with around $10,000 in Delta credits for 3 people. The fish was still refrigerator cold (a few ice cubes floating in the water), but they didn't want to re-freeze it, so they ate fish for a week and gave a bunch away.

When I was going away to college, my dad sent a lot of frozen trout and redfish with me packed in a styrofoam cooler. Back then (before vacuum sealers) he would freeze his fish in quart ziploc bags with salt water, so it was quart-sized bags of ice/fish frozen together in the deep freeze. The apartment I had rented was not ready for 4 days after we got there. They put us up in a Motel 6 with no refrigerator (after two days of driving) and when we finally got into the apartment, there was still unmelted ice with the fish, meaning it hadn't gotten above 32 degrees.

So in styrofoam, with large chunks of ice, transported in a cold airline cargo hold... I'm guessing you could leave your cooler of frozen meat in your hotel room, outside the refrigerator for the whole week and it would still be completely safe at the end of your trip. The overnight connection is a non-issue.

See some stories about USVI specifically here: https://www.vinow.com/wwwtalk/virgin-islands-travel-forum/taking-frozen-meat-to-stj/paged/2/

Last edited: