• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rotisserie chicken in bags

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
So it has happened. The sky has fallen, Chicken Little, and my local Costco is now selling rotisserie chicken in bags. The store put a sign out boasting that the bags use 75% less plastic. So I'm curious what others think about this.

My initial observations:
1. My sweetheart likes me to purchase a BIG chicken. It's a source of pride when I score a whopper since after all, I, the man of the house, am the hunter gatherer.. The two of us can get 3 meals from a large bird. But I find it extremely difficult to gauge the chicken's size when it's bagged compared to the old plastic containers. (And she was disappointed that I brought home too small a chicken this time! I was a chicken-hunting failure.)
2. It's far messier to remove the roast chicken from the bag in order to cut and serve it. We used to be able to pop open the top of the hard plastic container, slice the chicken while it remained in the plastic base, and even store it in the fridge inside its container if we wished. Those were the days, my friend.
3. Watching the employees, I suspect that bagging the roast chickens is slower than the old process. In the past, I'd see them first. lay out a large number of plastic bases. Then the cooked chickens went in very quickly followed by rapidly popping on all the plastic lids. The employee would then slide open the window and out came a few dozen chickens in rapid fire. Now they have to open each bag and then seal it carefully so that hopefully the bag isn't greasy. A far smaller number of birds emerged and then there was a wait for them to bag more. As a result, the line of customers waiting to pick up their chicken was the longest I've ever seen.

The only good thing is that the price remains $4.99, which is still a great deal.

TUGGERs are a down to Earth, sensible group. What do you guys think of chicken in a bag?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I had the same reaction as you when I walked past the rotisserie the other day. Their chickens used to be a staple for us, but we stopped buying them several months ago due to all the sodium, etc that they inject. I was very disappointed, but have moved on.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You could probably cut the sides of the bag to get to the chicken easier. I haven’t seen it yet but i am not sure I like the bagged chicken. I also don’t go for the corporate lie about how it uses less plastic and they are somehow saving the planet. They do it to save money. Nothing else.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here. I brought a bagged chix home last weekend. Made me wish I'd washed and saved (at least) one of the old plastic tubs. As it turned out, I have a white Corning Ware casserole w/lid that fits almost as well as the original. I will grumble every time I get one from here out, but give up my $5 chickens? NEVER!

Jim

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I just bought one today.
Here on Eastern Long Island they are still in the hard plastic shell.
Count me lucky

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
The store put a sign out boasting that the bags use 75% less plastic. So I'm curious what others think about this.
Costco being the size that it is could probably have private contracted with a company to produce the same rotisserie chicken tubs at half the current mil thickness, thereby "saving 50% of the plastic" and keeping the chickens moving from the packaging table and their customer happy.

First, no more Starbucks whole been coffee and now this; what is happening to my Costco experience?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Made me wish I'd washed and saved (at least) one of the old plastic tubs.
Buy a Whole Maine Lobster dinner at Red Lobster and keep the plastic clamshell packaging. You will have to break down the chicken for the shorter container, but it will definitely work.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We don't have a Costco here but Misaki's Grocery Store has Rottisserie Chickens a few times a week. They are much larger than the Costco chickens. They are 6 to 6.5 pounds each. They put them on a large foam tray, like they used in the meat department and then warp them with Saran Wrap just like frsh meat.

They are a little more than Costci though, ranging between $20 and $22 each. :D

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a chicken at Costco yesterday, in the plastic bag. The bag leaked on the drive home & made a big mess in the back storage section of my car. Luckily it was on the plastic liner and pretty easy to clean up. I'd much rather have the plastic containers.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
My Costco in Minnesota is still using the regular containers, at least as of this week. If they switch over, I’ll need to keep some sort of solid container in the back of my car to hold the bagged chicken because I'd be furious if it leaked.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My Costco in Minnesota is still using the regular containers, at least as of this week. If they switch over, I’ll need to keep some sort of solid container in the back of my car to hold the bagged chicken because I'd be furious if it leaked.
The juice is a vital part of the rotisserie chicken purchase.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a chicken at Costco yesterday, in the plastic bag. The bag leaked on the drive home & made a big mess in the back storage section of my car. Luckily it was on the plastic liner and pretty easy to clean up. I'd much rather have the plastic containers.
Weird. I have purchases dozens and dozens of plastic bagged rotisserie chickens from grocery stores over years -- never had a leakage problem.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weird. I have purchases dozens and dozens of plastic bagged rotisserie chickens from grocery stores over years -- never had a leakage problem.
I think the problem was that the bag wasn't sealed properly. The ziplock at the top of the bag wasn't completely shut.
Next time I'll check before I put the chicken in my cart.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What do you guys think of chicken in a bag?

I like it.

The bag we see have vents on the top side beneath the zip lock. Even with the old style and now with the zip lock style we always bag the chicken with the plastic at the meat department. We had a mess with a Costco chicken when it rolled over onto the back seat floor.

Bill

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Our local Costco (Orillia ON) has been selling the rotisserie chickens in bags for months, for sure since before Christmas which is the last time I bought one there. I haven't had one leak (yet) but I do put it in one of several heavy plastic re-usable shopping bags I have for anything that might leak such as raw meat.

~Diane

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
OH NO! More WeatherTech TV commercials!

Yes, I can see it now. They will advertise that you need to buy a WeatherTech liner for your car in case your Costco bagged chicken leaks.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyone bought any in Hawaii yet? Bags vs old style?
They had the bags at the Safeway on Oahu five years ago. The last Costco we were at was on Maui about 8 months ago and they didn't have the bags.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Personally I would rather they just increase the price by a buck or two and continue to use the hard shell container.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I never stored or served the chicken in the container (used two forks to lift it out to put on a plate, and that was the end of it), so whatever keeps the price at $4.99 is good for me. I saw the chickens in the bag last week in San Diego. I am sure that I will get used to the change.

I always have them put the chicken in an empty box when they "bag" the groceries. Years ago I had a hard container leak in the car, so I have been doing that ever since. I don't plan to change that. Cleaning up that greasy, smelly mess once in a lifetime is plenty.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I never stored or served the chicken in the container (used two forks to lift it out to put on a plate, and that was the end of it), so whatever keeps the price at $4.99 is good for me. I saw the chickens in the bag last week in San Diego. I am sure that I will get used to the change.

I always have them put the chicken in an empty box when they "bag" the groceries. Years ago I had a hard container leak in the car, so I have been doing that ever since. I don't plan to change that. Cleaning up that greasy, smelly mess once in a lifetime is plenty.
We have always put the chickens in the brown plastic bags due to spill near misses, even with the plastic boxes. Certainly will continue to do so as the new rotisserie bags have a vent hole near the the top.