• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sam Bankman-Fried is ARRESTED in the Bahamas after American prosecutors filed criminal charges against FTX founder

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now it looks like his girlfriend and another top FTX are flipping on SBF. He is in deep doo-doo.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with people investing money, whether in stocks, crypto, or any other asset, and then losing money because the asset simply lost value. That's normal risk. Like I said, I've never put money into crypto and don't plan to. But I do have a problem with the money being outright stolen or otherwise misused in contravention of laws and/or regulations.
But that is part of the risk.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
But that is part of the risk.
To me, investments rising or falling in value due to market activity is an acceptable part of the risk. Having it stolen should not be. If someone robs you on the street, do you just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, that is part of the risk" or do you call the police?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me, investments rising or falling in value due to market activity is an acceptable part of the risk. Having it stolen should not be. If someone robs you on the street, do you just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, that is part of the risk" or do you call the police?
That risk of theft is higher in the crypto world then decent stocks or money held in a bank account or invested in land.

What would one expect with such large sums of money investing in basically nothing.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
That risk of theft is higher in the crypto world then decent stocks or money held in a bank account or invested in land.

What would one expect with such large sums of money investing in basically nothing.
Like I said, I'm not invested in crypto, I personally think it's risky and silly. But just because you don't like an investment doesn't mean it's okay for people that do to get robbed in a criminal manner.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm not invested in crypto, I personally think it's risky and silly. But just because you don't like an investment doesn't mean it's okay for people that do to get robbed in a criminal manner.
Not ok but very possible for it to happen. All risks regardless of what kind should be considered as the roi and preserving capital is what is important.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now we know why he wanted to be extradited to the US. Someone posted his $250 million bail and his trial is being delayed until October. His political donations are having their impact while the victims who lost all of their money will continue to suffer.

Reactions: Tia

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately having celebrities promote products must work on many people or why pay them millions over having an unknown actor promote the same. There used to be a little notice on tv commercials that the person(s) were paid actors.

No matter how much I like an athlete or other type of celebrity, I don't listen to their advice on politics, what to buy or what to invest in. Just because they can play ball, act, or sing, doesn't mean they know better than anyone else on other topics. When it comes to things that involve money, I'm smart enough to know that they're usually only hawking whatever it is because they're getting paid, not because they necessarily use it, and that they're probably not really researching it, just filming the commercial and cashing the checks. They're just people. I don't necessarily think they should be vilified, either. I'm pretty sure Brady didn't know what was really going on with FTX and probably no way he could have. Someone else told him, hey, this thing is cool, and they'll pay you to say so, and he agreed without much thought. I think it's crazy that people are trying to sue him and other "spokespeople." If you see an ad on tv for a product with some unknown actor, and you buy the product and it doesn't work, you don't go and sue the actor. You sue the company selling the product.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now we understand why he wanted to be extradited back to the US. I guess they campaign funds won't have to be returned even though they were illegally obtained. Our justice system is unbelievable.

• Wow

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this quote from the report to be interesting. Even this crook recognizes the bias in our news media.

"Authorities had alleged Bankman-Fried used about $90 million of FTX customer deposits to donate to hundreds of political campaigns and PACs.

Bankman-Fried was a major backer of the Democratic Party, donating $46.5 million in 2022. But he also claimed to be the “second or third biggest” donor to Republicans that year.

“All my Republican donations were dark,” he told YouTuber Tiffany Fong. “The reason was not for regulatory reasons, it’s because reporters freak the f*** out if you donate to Republicans. They’re all super liberal, and I didn’t want to have that fight.”

• Wow

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beyond ridiculous , very revealing about our justice system etc

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this quote from the report to be interesting. Even this crook recognizes the bias in our news media.

"Authorities had alleged Bankman-Fried used about $90 million of FTX customer deposits to donate to hundreds of political campaigns and PACs.

Bankman-Fried was a major backer of the Democratic Party, donating $46.5 million in 2022. But he also claimed to be the “second or third biggest” donor to Republicans that year.

“All my Republican donations were dark,” he told YouTuber Tiffany Fong. “The reason was not for regulatory reasons, it’s because reporters freak the f*** out if you donate to Republicans. They’re all super liberal, and I didn’t want to have that fight.”
Not political?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
And your political system? Money donated should be returned to the people it was stolen from. Not just the ones he stole from but everyone affected by the market fallout.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hey now???? Aren't you glad that we have one of the best justice systems money can buy?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess making large contributions to both political parties is what I would call 'hedge fund' investing. Since he obviously will get away with this, I hope some news source will publish the names of all of the recipients of these contributions and whether any of them returned them. This is truly criminal.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey now???? Aren't you glad that we have one of the best justice systems money can buy?

Well since it's 'one of the best justice systems money can buy' I'd be glad if I had connections to buy some justice should I need to....:LOL:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that I have seen no news report of this story on any major network. This is probably the biggest fraud case of all time, so you would think it would be reported. I guess his contributions are paying off. He's still out on bail and living his life while many of his investors lost a significant portion of their savings.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I'm surprised that I have seen no news report of this story on any major network. This is probably the biggest fraud case of all time, so you would think it would be reported. I guess his contributions are paying off. He's still out on bail and living his life while many of his investors lost a significant portion of their savings.

I don't think it's fair to call anyone involved with crypto an investor. Gambler? Sure. And just like the lottery and Las Vegas, a handful of people make a killing.

The rest lose. Most of them lose 100%. Many find a way to lose more than 100%.

I suspect he'll get a slap on the wrist, an 18-month country-club sentence, and he'll be back still a multi-millionaire, finding a new grift in 2026/7. Look at what happened to Martin Shkreli -- and that guy killed people with his pharmacy con. But they didn't even bother to prosecute him for that. He's already out -- and still a one-percenter.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to call anyone involved with crypto an investor. Gambler? Sure. And just like the lottery and Las Vegas, a handful of people make a killing.

The rest lose. Most of them lose 100%. Many find a way to lose more than 100%.

I suspect he'll get a slap on the wrist, an 18-month country-club sentence, and he'll be back still a multi-millionaire, finding a new grift in 2026/7. Look at what happened to Martin Shkreli -- and that guy killed people with his pharmacy con. But they didn't even bother to prosecute him for that. He's already out -- and still a one-percenter.
I agree with you about crypto. A lot of the crypto investors will now likely switch to sports gambling.

Brett

Reaction score

And why isn't this FTX cryto scammer in jail?
Ryan Salame donated over $23 million to the other political party

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/27/technology/ftx-ryan-salame-sam-bankman-fried.html

Ryan Salame, who ran FTX’s Bahamian subsidiary, was part of the close circle of advisers around Sam Bankman-Fried, the cryptocurrency exchange’s founder,