• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe smaller schools with small class sizes could reopen.
My brother, who lives in the Boston suburbs, is moving one of his kids from an (all-online) public school to a private one that has a class size of 20 with two teachers, divided into two "pods" of 10 students plus one teacher. Each day, one pod is in the building while the other is online.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We are reopening 9/8 hybrid for elementary. If infections continue to lower, middle school and high school will reopen throughout Sept. I believe Hybrid is our best option and now we need to get businesses to agree as well. Working parents can not be uninvolved in our children’s schooling. We are now required to be parent/teacher.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was speaking to a parent today in the Bay Area. He said his kids are going to 6 hours of after school care every day (12-6) on the school campus. It is a program they pay extra for. It combines school and after school activities but it is not taught by teachers. His kids have three 30-min Zoom calls in the morning taught by teachers. He is concerned about his kids falling behind. He says it is very stressful to teach when he does not know how to teach. One of his boys (age 7 and 9) attends his video lessons in his underwear and does not get dressed until it is time to go to after school care. He said he would be willing to sign a Covid waiver so his kids could be back in regular school all day. He said it is worth the risk to him at this point. He said he was onboard with online school in the beginning but not anymore. He does not understand why they can have the after school program but not regular classes. I asked if the after school program is taught by teachers and he said no. I said that is why.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
One of his boys (age 7 and 9) attends his video lessons in his underwear and does not get dressed until it is time to go to after school care.
Ok, that is purely a parenting issue, IMO. A parent should set appropriate expectations for online school (getting dressed, having a set place to "work", etc.) and follow up to ensure the child is doing what is expected of them.

Kurt

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maryland Gov Larry Hogan authorizes all counties to reopen schools

"There is broad and overwhelming agreement that finding a way to begin safely returning children to classrooms must be a priority. There is no substitute for in-person instruction"

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, that is purely a parenting issue, IMO. A parent should set appropriate expectations for online school (getting dressed, having a set place to "work", etc.) and follow up to ensure the child is doing what is expected of them.

Kurt

I agree but I bet a lot of people are having "parenting" issues they did not have before when the kids had a routine and structure. For example, video game playing has soared during the pandemic.

P.S. I do not wear shoes for business calls and sometimes I wear my workout clothes (but look okay from the waist up). I do not dress the way I would dress if I were meeting clients in person. I would just wear underwear on the bottom but I am afraid I might stand up by mistake. ;)

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be one of the most absurd / maddening examples of the school ridiculousness that I have seen. Local park district here in suburban Chicago charging $1000 / month / child for supervised remote learning. But what's incredible is that the remote learning sites are IN THE SCHOOLS THAT ARE CLOSED.
Students will be physically seated in common areas supervised by park district staff. The teachers in these schools are teaching from empty classrooms in the same building.

Isn't this awfully confusing to little Johnnie when he sees his Teacher X in the hallway or walking into the school, but he can't be physically near Teacher X who will be teaching him in a few mins? But the other adults are ok to be physically near? How does 6 year old Johnnie reconcile this in his brain?
It is honestly just the most absurd thing .

Even though my daughter is not enrolled in public school any more (thank God) I will continue to go to school board meetings to go on the public record pressing them about these arrangements. I am still a concerned citizen.

1598569254938.png

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I was speaking to a parent today in the Bay Area. He said his kids are going to 6 hours of after school care every day (12-6) on the school campus. It is a program they pay extra for. It combines school and after school activities but it is not taught by teachers. His kids have three 30-min Zoom calls in the morning taught by teachers. He is concerned about his kids falling behind. He says it is very stressful to teach when he does not know how to teach. One of his boys (age 7 and 9) attends his video lessons in his underwear and does not get dressed until it is time to go to after school care. He said he would be willing to sign a Covid waiver so his kids could be back in regular school all day. He said it is worth the risk to him at this point. He said he was onboard with online school in the beginning but not anymore. He does not understand why they can have the after school program but not regular classes. I asked if the after school program is taught by teachers and he said no. I said that is why.
Depending on which County, the County decides if SD can apply for the Elementary waiver. This is what our SD and now more in our County are applying even though we are close to getting off the list.
I would be in the same situation but I decided to hire in a college student tutor.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
This might be one of the most absurd / maddening examples of the school ridiculousness that I have seen. Local park district here in suburban Chicago charging $1000 / month / child for supervised remote learning. But what's incredible is that the remote learning sites are IN THE SCHOOLS THAT ARE CLOSED.
Students will be physically seated in common areas supervised by park district staff. The teachers in these schools are teaching from empty classrooms in the same building.

Isn't this awfully confusing to little Johnnie when he sees his Teacher X in the hallway or walking into the school, but he can't be physically near Teacher X who will be teaching him in a few mins? But the other adults are ok to be physically near? How does 6 year old Johnnie reconcile this in his brain?
It is honestly just the most absurd thing .

Even though my daughter is not enrolled in public school any more (thank God) I will continue to go to school board meetings to go on the public record pressing them about these arrangements. I am still a concerned citizen.

View attachment 25536
Most States have different requirements for daycare and daycare providers not being unionized, this is what you get.

My SD has had a District run program forever that often will employ teachers as well as IAs. My daughters old BI also worked at the daycare program.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most States have different requirements for daycare and daycare providers are not unionized, this is what you get.
100% -- but the fact that this nonsense is occurring in the school building themselves is some incredible chutzpah. I thought there were all kinds of dangers of the HVAC systems. That's what the teachers keep maintaining here. So if the HVAC systems are giant Covid transmitters, how is any of this safe? And again, so confusing for young children.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree but I bet a lot of people are having "parenting" issues they did not have before when the kids had a routine and structure. For example, video game playing has soared during the pandemic.

P.S. I do not wear shoes for business calls and sometimes I wear my workout clothes (but look okay from the waist up). I do not dress the way I would dress if I were meeting clients in person. I would just wear underwear on the bottom but I am afraid I might stand up by mistake. ;)

Just place an "R" rating prior to the call. You'll be fine. ;)

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
College doesn't sound like a very good experience this year from the stories I"m hearing.

Sadly, yes. A friend told me her daughter could have written this article as it was a similar experience to her own. Within the first week or so it became apparent college wasn’t going to work out, so she made other plans, returned home, and is currently in isolation while taking classes online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
College is starting to look like fun -- and crazy

colleg.jpg

Some college students will spend this semester in their childhood bedrooms. Others are taking their chances on campuses.

Then, there’s a third option: Rent a giant house with friends and take remote classes from a far-flung locale. It’s an adventure, it’s potentially cheaper than living in a college town and it’s more fun than Zooming from your parents’ basement.

The houses range from lavish mansions to budget-friendly solutions.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/us/coronavirus-college-housing-legionella.html

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
College is starting to look like fun -- and crazy

View attachment 25562

Some college students will spend this semester in their childhood bedrooms. Others are taking their chances on campuses.

Then, there’s a third option: Rent a giant house with friends and take remote classes from a far-flung locale. It’s an adventure, it’s potentially cheaper than living in a college town and it’s more fun than Zooming from your parents’ basement.

The houses range from lavish mansions to budget-friendly solutions.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/us/coronavirus-college-housing-legionella.html
My friend's son is doing this. When they found out that all classes would be remote , campus living seemed like a waste of time. And the kids didn't want to be doing all the university testing and having movements tracked with an app. Group of 8 rented a place in Breckenridge for a few months and are taking their classes from there.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
College doesn't sound like a very good experience this year from the stories I"m hearing.
Many weeks ago I said if I was a college student who had completed their core courses, I would sit out the year. I feel that way now more than ever. If I still needed some core courses, I would see if I could take them online at a Junior College. IMO College is quasi worthless without personal interaction with both professors and fellow students. I don't know how many times back in my college days when some of us would have difficulties of one kind or another in a class we would get together, sit down in a quiet place and work through it together....

George

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many weeks ago I said if I was a college student who had completed their core courses, I would sit out the year. I feel that way now more than ever. If I still needed some core courses, I would see if I could take them online at a Junior College. IMO College is quasi worthless without personal interaction with both professors and fellow students. I don't know how many times back in my college days when some of us would have difficulties of one kind or another in a class we would get together, sit down in a quiet place and work through it together....

George
Completely agree. However, many families have felt a "bait & switch" happen w/the colleges. Were led to believe it was going to be a fairly normal experience this fall but then a week or two before classes began the rug was pulled out from under them. Secondly, if you are an upperclassmen, JUCO really isn't an option anymore.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Secondly, if you are an upperclassmen, JUCO really isn't an option anymore.

That's why If I were an upperclassman and had completed all my core courses, I would sit out the year. IMO the time off can be a plus...

Understand I'm coming at this based on my own quest for a degree. Although I was an A- student it took me 15 years, 9 Universities and a lot of starts and stops along the way before getting my degree. Missing months and years along the way not only didn't hurt but I believe the downtime actually helped. For the record I graduated from High School in 1953 and College in 1968...

George

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
And just to make this thread even more exciting - here is a news article about the innovation in detecting coronavirus on campus: poop. (May be behind paywall).

“As 5,000 students prepared for move-in day at the University of Arizona this week, the school warned they would be tested periodically for the coronavirus. One test, though, doesn’t involve a nose swab. The university is regularly screening the sewage from each dorm, searching for traces of the virus.
On Thursday, officials said the technique worked — and possibly prevented a sizable outbreak on campus. When a wastewater sample from one dorm came back positive this week, the school quickly tested all 311 people who live and work there and found two asymptomatic students who tested positive. They were quickly quarantined.
“With this early detection, we jumped on it right away, tested those youngsters, and got them the appropriate isolation where they needed to be,” said Richard Carmona, a former U.S. surgeon general who is directing the school’s reentry task force, in a news conference.”

Status
Not open for further replies.