• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should You Cut the Cord on Cable TV? Here's a Guide to Help You Decide

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I've been looking at Apple TV, Google Chromecast and Roki 3 but haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm trying to get a good fix on just what streaming channels are available here in Canada. I understand there is a lot of Geo blocking of US channels that has left Canadians less than satisfied with the content they can access. Are there any Canadians that can let me know which streaming device might be best in Canada?

Ironwood,

Did you ever see Andex's reply to you in this previous Tug Roku Thread?

Richard

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
multiz321...yes I did see Andex's reply. I tried 'Unblock Us' for their free 7 day trial about a year ago, and while I could get US Netflix content which is 4 times what we can access in Canada, I had issues with other net surfing, so I never subscribed. I did read that "unblock us" and similar VPN masking services didn't work well with some routers. As well, with Unblock US, they route your DNS queries through their own servers....in other words they know every site you visit, can collect and sell that data....I don't like that!
It seems with every solution there is a new issue to deal with.
I just want to find a media streaming device that will give me access to pay channels like Netflix, some sports, some news, but not multiple cartoon channels, nor movie channels playing 60 year old b & w flicks!

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've cut the cord a few times, but every time it comes down to sports and I decide that I can't live without it. If we could get the sports online that are available on cable, we'd do it for it sure.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've cut the cord a few times, but every time it comes down to sports and I decide that I can't live without it. If we could get the sports online that are available on cable, we'd do it for it sure.

Precisely the reason I've never been able to ditch broadcast TV.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

It's just a matter of time before this will be available. Some games, such as certain MLB games, are available via streaming now.

Sent from my iPad

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ooma v. Vonage

I have had Vonage for years. I am quite happy and did not keep up with or realize that there were other competing VOip products. I know, silly me.

Does Ooma compare to Vonage in quality? I can keep my same number? I will easily switch if they are comparable because vonage is charging around $35 per month now for my home phone.

thanks

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have had Vonage for years. I am quite happy and did not keep up with or realize that there were other competing VOip products. I know, silly me.

Does Ooma compare to Vonage in quality? I can keep my same number? I will easily switch if they are comparable because vonage is charging around $35 per month now for my home phone.

thanks

Yes and yes.

Sent from my iPad

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sports and news...That's why I haven't cut the cord yet. From what I've been able to determine, I wouldn't be happy with the limited content I would get from a media streaming device....especially in Canada where many of the US sites would be Geo blocked! What I would like to do is downsize my current almost all inclusive cable package to a cheaper package and supplement it with streaming content. But I haven't found the ideal solution yet. And, in the end I'm not sure I would be saving much!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
You don't have to take a phone with you. Just unplug the phone in your unit and plug it into MagicJack. That's what we do. (We have one of the original MagicJacks, if that makes a difference.)

That is good to know - I had not thought about that. On our upcoming trip, one resort we will be in does not have phones, so we need to take one this time. Thanks for the info.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sports and news...That's why I haven't cut the cord yet.

I watch the news shows also, but I've got that covered with Sirius radio - the TV shows on FOX news, CNN, and MSNBC (and others) are all on Sirius. Listening to them on Sirius is better because who really needs to see a bunch of talking heads anyway? I can get more done.

Sports still has a ways to go. You can stream MLB, NBA, and NFL but they are costly. I would also need my regional Fox Sports channel to be happy.

I'm curious why DISH or DirectTV (and other providers) can't broadcast their entire channel lineup online? The technology seems to have been there for awhile, but so far I don't think anyone is doing it completely - though I can get some channels online through my Uverse subscription.

persia

Reaction score
Living in a place I don't care about I have lost interests in local news broadcasts. Really all we watch is CNN and Doctor Who....

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
That is good to know - I had not thought about that. On our upcoming trip, one resort we will be in does not have phones, so we need to take one this time. Thanks for the info.

I have a tiny phone, about 2 inches diameter by 3/4 inch thick, with a small earpiece. I can't find a picture of it on the web, but it came from Hong Kong and was under $10. I pack that in my traveling electronics pack with the Magicjack. If there's a better phone there, great. If not, this will do.

davepohl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at Apple TV, Google Chromecast and Roki 3 but haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm trying to get a good fix on just what streaming channels are available here in Canada. I understand there is a lot of Geo blocking of US channels that has left Canadians less than satisfied with the content they can access. Are there any Canadians that can let me know which streaming device might be best in Canada?
I'm considering vmedia.ca but they only cover parts of Ontario right now.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering vmedia.ca but they only cover parts of Ontario right now.

thanks davepohl....I'm north of the big smoke but vmedia covers this area. They do look cheaper than my Bell Fibe TV and internet package. But, I suggest you might want to read this 'expert' user review.

Good "Internet is reliable"
Bad "Unlimited is NOT Unlimited"
Overall "Avoid them at all costs."
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection Reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings below consensus)

I spent 10 years working for ISPs, including 4 as a 3rd party provider.
We provided great service as a 3rd party provider and know that the experience can vary, but as a technician, I know what to expect.
There is good service and bad service.

VMedia is the worst I have ever seen.
Here's what's happened so far:

We got the unlimited Internet and Unlimited North American calling plan (VoIP).
We bought the modem and the phone adapter for VoIP.

1) They were 3 days late setting us up.

2) They did not port our number correctly and as a result, we lost our phone number of 22 years. Yes, before you ask, I filled out all the paper work, ensured to make it clear to BOTH providers that I was porting the number and did everything I could in order to make sure that this took place. VMedia failed.

3) They did not enter the correct MAC address for our phone into the system and as such, our phone didn't work for an additional 3 days. That's 6 days, altogether.

It gets worse.

4) Every 10 days, on average, we had to call back in because our phone would stop working. Sometimes, we couldn't receive calls. Other times, we couldn't make calls. Other times still, we couldn't use the phone, at all.

5) No less than 6 times in the first 2 months we lost our phone service altogether because "of a billing error" that had the wrong MAC address registered on our account for our VoIP box. I was promised that was fixed every time we called in. I'm not holding my breath.

6) Our speeds have never been above 30Mbps. We are paying for 50Mbps.

7) I have asked 6 times to speak to a supervisor. Twice, they called back and left a voicemail on my phone THAT WASN'T WORKING! Once, they called back and left a voicemail on my cellphone, promising to reach me again the next day. They lied. I have yet to speak to a single supervisor.

8) Their Unlimited Long Distance to North America IS NOT UNLIMITED. I repeat, their UNLIMITED plan is NOT UNLIMITED. They allow you 5000 minutes per month, maximum. However, if they feel like they want to arbitrarily say that your calling patterns are unusual, they won't even let you have that many and will cut you off, on a whim. That's right, they will cut you off, because they feel like it, without any proof or explanation.

9) If you ask them for a call record or usage record of your phone service, they cannot or will not provide it. Yet, they hold you to this arbitrary 5000 minute (or some other arbitrary number and call pattern that they feel like enforcing) without any way to prove that you did or did not "abuse" their "Fair Use Policy".

I REPEAT. THEIR UNLIMITED LONG DISTANCE PLAN IS NOT UNLIMITED.

10) If you "abuse" their "Fair Use Policy" for phone service, you then have to prepay long distance services for the service that they have already lied and called unlimited.

UNLIMITED LONG DISTANCE TO NORTH AMERICA seems pretty clear to me.
I would call this false advertising.

Stay away from VMedia at all costs.
They are beyond horrible.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

I tried this at the Grand Mayan in NV and had nothing but problems. We ended up using skype. I thought that the mj would have worked as well as skype as both are voip but after an hour of trying I gave up. Upon arriving home the mj worked perfectly.

Bill

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a tiny phone, about 2 inches diameter by 3/4 inch thick, with a small earpiece. I can't find a picture of it on the web, but it came from Hong Kong and was under $10. I pack that in my traveling electronics pack with the Magicjack. If there's a better phone there, great. If not, this will do.

Hi IsiDave,

Is this the phone?

Richard

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
My cord is firmly attached - I cut off DirectTV because they want to much for NFL Ticket when all I want is RedZone (on top of an already huge bill). I had ComCast internet (very fast) separately. I ended up going with Comcast for TV as well (Doubleplay - Internet and TV) - complete HD TV package (incl Redzone) with Blast internet (>50 mbps) for $110/month total for 2 years, and then $129 for the 3rd year. I went out and got a TiVo Pro Roamio (3TB, 6 tuners with Lifetime TiVo) and 2 TiVo minis (also with w/ lifetime) hooked up via MoCa for the Bedroom and Man-cave. Works great! (no delays - very responsive). Plus the Tivo Roamio allows streaming to devices - so able to watch anything remotely (in-house or external) that is on the Roamio as long as I have reasonable WiFi.

I use ooma for phone service ($3/month vs $24) - so I did cut that cord.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Adding on to an older thread from 2014

YouTube's Online TV Service Could Launch Over the Next Year with ABC, CBS, and ESPN included - by Abner Li/ 9 TO 5 Google/ 9to5google.com

"YouTube is said to be making headway on an online television service that doesn’t require a cable subscription (via The Information). With a launch in the next six to nine months, expected partners include ABC, CBS, and ESPN at this point. It was first reported back in May that the “Unplugged” service would cost under $35 per month.

The monthly subscription is said to include a basic bundle of key channels, with YouTube offering additional packages for other add-on channels. Deals have yet to be finalized, but ABC, CBS, and ESPN are “firmly expected” to be included. Bloomberg previously reported that Google is also in negotiation with NBC, Viacom, and Fox networks.

To stand apart from competing services — like the recently launched PlayStation Vue on Android — topic specific YouTube channels will be included in the bundle. For instance, a channel about home improvement could take the place of niche cable television channel HGTV..."

Richard

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sticking with DirecTV for a while longer. Why? Cost although high is not outrageous; it has been dependable; it has the channels I want; and the channel numbers I use are indelibly imprinted in my brain.

George

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I love my antenna and Fire TV paired with Kodi. I have more things to watch than ever and no bills to pay!:D Plus, I don't lose service when a storm goes through.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We are not big TV watchers but fast internet is important to us. Right now I get our internet from our cable company. I would be glad to switch if I could find an alternative that was much cheaper than the $192 I am paying now for the TV, phone and Internet bundle. We don't even get any of the premium channels.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Re: Ota -free

OTA -over the air -is 100 % FREE

I get 30 + channels ( USA + Canada ) with an antenna and amplifier
the antenna ( 8 Bay ) is about 10 feet above my roof line and 40 feet above the ground . I am within 80 miles of the South Buffalo broadcast antennas for
ABC - NBC-CBS .

You get sub channels that are not on cable etc - Laff , Grit , Bounce , etc

FREE - so we have not ( yet ) bothered to add internet based TV
since we watch a lot of TVO and PBS .

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I should have added that the one bill we do pay is of course the internet bill. We are in a rural area and have DSL. When we dropped our landline we moved up to 25mpbs from 10mpbs and pay less than $50 a month with all the taxes and fees included. Steaming was fine at 10mpbs but it was only $5 more a month and with all the changes in this fast paced market, I thought we may as well do it now. So I was paying $211 a month and now I'm down to just under $50. That's saving $1,932 a year. I'm a happy camper.

Last edited: