• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southern Slang: 11 Words and Phrases You Hear in the South, Explained

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Having lived in the South (Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida) all the phrases are familiar and understood. I find when I visit the South my speech patterns and phrases quickly adjust.

jpsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we lived in Florida we were told that the first thing added to your vocabulary was

1. Big Ole
2. Fixin To
and Y'all was third.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
All y’all git out of here.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Well, I grew up in Memphis and have used every single one of those words or phrases most of my life and I am not young! I still do use quite a few. My husband grew up on a farm about 40 miles north of Little Rock, so he used them too! If I go somewhere that does not have Coke or Diet Coke, I drink water!

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Y’all might could’ve noticed I talk like that, too.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
1711760326767.png

My freshman year of college I dated a woman from Alabama. She often used "y'all" as singular. Speaking to me, and me alone, she might ask, "What time are y'all going to pick me up tonight?" "Y'all have studied hard and are going to do just fine on that test tomorrow." But then she would also use y'all in the plural to refer to a group of people.

One time I asked her if was in a group, how I could tell if "y'all" meant she was talking just to me or to the whole group. She said that in that case, if she was referring to the group, she would say "all y'all". That cleared up some confusion.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 90370
My freshman year of college I dated a woman from Alabama. She often used "y'all" as singular. Speaking to me, and me alone, she might ask, "What time are y'all going to pick me up tonight?" "Y'all have studied hard and are going to do just fine on that test tomorrow." But then she would also use y'all in the plural to refer to a group of people.

One time I asked her if was in a group, how I could tell if "y'all" meant she was talking just to me or to the whole group. She said that in that case, if she was referring to the group, she would say "all y'all". That cleared up some confusion.
Y'all is flexible. The plural of y'all is used for a particular group, which can be everybody, or just a subset group of a larger group.

Example of a partial group. You are workin' on a car. "Cooter, Billy Bob, y'all get yure tools and help me with this heah motor." The ladies, of course, should just stand around and talk about what sort of cock-up the "boys" are gonna make of the motor - bless their hearts. . . .

An example of the overall y'all. You wave your arm and say, "We got the keg tapped! Y'all get your mugs." That is a call for everybody to come - guys and ladies both. You could say "all y'all" but the arm wave is an acceptable substitute for the "all".

(To be a grammar Nazi. Y'all can be used as a second person singular or a second person plural, that same as the word you can. Similar confusion over singular/plural only you has it opposite than y'all.)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Example of a partial group. You are workin' on a car. "Cooter, Billy Bob, y'all get yure tools and help me with this heah motor." The ladies, of course, should just stand around and talk about what sort of cock-up the "boys" are gonna make of the motor - bless their hearts. . . .
And that's where girl friend would say all y'all if you wanted both the men and the ladies to come over.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I lived in New Orleans for a few years. Most southern slang is quite contagious and the people were very gracious. But one word that I could never get used to was "aks." That's as in: "Let's go down to the Audubon Zoo, where the animals aks for you."

Certain verb conjugations were also different. Here's an example with the verb to see: "I can sees ways down the road."

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Y'all is flexible. The plural of y'all is used for a particular group, which can be everybody, or just a subset group of a larger group.
I grew up speaking Minnesotan, so "y'all" wasn't part of my native lexicon*. As I was became introduced to it later in life, I came to know it as flexible, exactly as you described it.

*I do know rubber binders and bubblers, though.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some northern Minnesotans say "youse" (their version of "y'all"). I never heard it in the Twin Cities but would hear it when I was up on da Range. And you can always order pop with your hotdish.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some northern Minnesotans say "youse" (their version of "y'all"). I never heard it in the Twin Cities but would hear it when I was up on da Range. And you can always order pop with your hotdish.
Yeah, but that's a different thing altogether.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I always liked when a friend for Louisiana would tell me “That’s a true fact”. Until recently, I never knew there was an untrue fact but they seem to be proliferating.