• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stay away RESIDENCE INN FORT LAUDERDALE AIRPORT & CRUISE PORT

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Wow Marriott really is starting to decline.​

Stay away no manager available for entire weekend.​

No engineers to fix problems​

Toilet didn’t work.
no remote control for TV.
Half the lights were inoperable
appliances old and broken
furniture is twenty years old
We have stayed at one star hotels with better accommodation

I’m really frustrated with Marriott Titanium Elite it’s worthless

Thirty years with Marriott and over 100 nights a year staying at Marriott’s I have never had such horrible service it appears it’s time to move away from Marriott. Over one hour waiting in the heat for transportation and then the girl at the front Desk refused our platinum food item, said she just added 500 points.She said she couldn’t reverse the charge and then began to belittle me and my wife. Again she made the mistake with the points not me or my wife. i asked to speak with the manager Erin and was given her card. I left the front desk area and called the number on the card. To my surprise the girls at the front desk answer the phone I thought it was the managers number. I asked for the manager again and they said no manager would be available until maybe Monday it was currently Saturday. They didn’t realize I was standing in the hallway and they both thought it was funny and gave each high fives. So belittling customers is not professional in anyway and the fact that the two worked together to provide horrible customer service and laugh at their customer.
I contacted corporate to help with this issue after I was unable to get in touch with a manager. This is the crazy part, I contacted the platinum line five times during the stay and they compensation was 8,000 points. The room was 50,000 for the night. Fast forward a week after the cruise and I contacted the Marriott platinum line and they could care less. we spoke with a supervisor for thirty minutes and he simply could care less. He even went as far as to call me and my wife liars. At that point my wife joined in the conversation. I asked five times to the supervisor if it was okay to stay at a room that cost 50,000 points or $473 to not have a bathroom, he wouldn’t answer.
Don’t take the shuttle to the cruise ship at all cost just call an Uber. It was well over an hour for both airports and cruise. The shuttle to the cruise was $40 and a Uber is $25

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Thank you for relating your experience. I have had some pretty bad experiences, but this experience would have me calling management and giving names of people who were rude. You should get your entire stay reimbursed.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
https://elliott.org/ sometimes takes cases like this. He generally doesn't do points reservations, but sometimes they make an exception.

Has anyone here had success contacting the Marriott Executive office for resolution?

Elliott does list them on the website https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/marriott-contact-details/ . Elliott likes people to first try to contact the executive office first before asking for help, from what I've read.

Last edited:

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://elliott.org/ sometimes takes cases like this. He generally doesn't do points reservations, but sometimes they make an exception.

Has anyone here had success contacting the Marriott Executive office for resolution?

Elliott does list them on the website https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/marriott-contact-details/ . Elliott likes people to first try to contract the executive office first before asking for help, from what I've read.
Wow this was great information I contacted them and they are all over this issue. Thank you so much.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Wow Marriott really is starting to decline.​

Stay away no manager available for entire weekend.​

No engineers to fix problems​

Toilet didn’t work.
no remote control for TV.
Half the lights were inoperable
appliances old and broken
furniture is twenty years old
We have stayed at one star hotels with better accommodation

I’m really frustrated with Marriott Titanium Elite it’s worthless

Thirty years with Marriott and over 100 nights a year staying at Marriott’s I have never had such horrible service it appears it’s time to move away from Marriott. Over one hour waiting in the heat for transportation and then the girl at the front Desk refused our platinum food item, said she just added 500 points.She said she couldn’t reverse the charge and then began to belittle me and my wife. Again she made the mistake with the points not me or my wife. i asked to speak with the manager Erin and was given her card. I left the front desk area and called the number on the card. To my surprise the girls at the front desk answer the phone I thought it was the managers number. I asked for the manager again and they said no manager would be available until maybe Monday it was currently Saturday. They didn’t realize I was standing in the hallway and they both thought it was funny and gave each high fives. So belittling customers is not professional in anyway and the fact that the two worked together to provide horrible customer service and laugh at their customer.
I contacted corporate to help with this issue after I was unable to get in touch with a manager. This is the crazy part, I contacted the platinum line five times during the stay and they compensation was 8,000 points. The room was 50,000 for the night. Fast forward a week after the cruise and I contacted the Marriott platinum line and they could care less. we spoke with a supervisor for thirty minutes and he simply could care less. He even went as far as to call me and my wife liars. At that point my wife joined in the conversation. I asked five times to the supervisor if it was okay to stay at a room that cost 50,000 points or $473 to not have a bathroom, he wouldn’t answer.
Don’t take the shuttle to the cruise ship at all cost just call an Uber. It was well over an hour for both airports and cruise. The shuttle to the cruise was $40 and a Uber is $25
I understand your rant, but you say you have never been treated this way in many 100s of stays, so why would you bail on Marriott? This is likely a one-off privately owned RI.

Also, it is good to hear that the Marriott platinum line worker and supervisor did care somewhat about your plight.

Last edited:

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand your rant, but you say you have never been treated this way in many 100s of stays, so why would you bail on Marriott? This is likely a one-off privately owned RI.

Also, it is good to hear that the Marriott platinum line worker and supervisor did care somewhat about your plight.
Just an angry old man rant, we’ve been with Marriott both timeshares and hotels forever. You are correct we will call it one off and move forward.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We use to really like Residence Inn. Lately it seems as if Marriott doesn’t care and is letting them decline until they sell them. 10 years ago they were our first choice. Now not so much.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not a good review of this property. Does the hotel still offer a light morning breakfast ?
We also have stay at this property for pre and post cruise stays. It was ok five years ago; before COVID-19.
To The OP, are there any new restaurant now near this hotel. I can remember only a Wendy's and some other fast food restaurant beside Wendy's.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Of all the Marriott stays I’ve had in recent years, the worst experiences have all been in Florida.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Of all the Marriott stays I’ve had in recent years, the worst experiences have all been in Florida.
I agree. Many really old ones in the south-east FL area that are not being well maintained, and are really showing their age.

Last edited:

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which one's should be avoided?

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
Phoenix Embassy Suites is a homeless shelter for the incoming folks from Mexico. We had to climb over black garbage bags of their possessions to get from our room to the stairs. Staff was really nice but otherwise a terrible dump. Other shocker was a Doubletree in Vancouver, WA not far from Portland Airport. The couch was old vinyl type and full of holes, they said they couldn’t replace it, bring in a folding chair or even put a blanket over it to make it more comfortable to sit on because only Hilton approved furnishings/decor were allowed. I assumed an upgrade was in the works. But more than a year later I see pictures on Yelp of the awful couches and they are still the same! I just chalk it up to the fact we no longer live in a customer driven world, embrace the awfulness. This was the couch we had.

Attachments

• IMG_5515.jpeg
    IMG_5515.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 26

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not a good review of this property. Does the hotel still offer a light morning breakfast ?
We also have stay at this property for pre and post cruise stays. It was ok five years ago; before COVID-19.
To The OP, are there any new restaurant now near this hotel. I can remember only a Wendy's and some other fast food restaurant beside Wendy's.
No new places and it is a very dangerous area, several people had their cars stolen at the hotel. One handicapped couple parked in the front spot and their catalytic converter was actually removed. There is zero security and the area is rough. The Wendy’s and a Dunkin’ 🍩.

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phoenix Embassy Suites is a homeless shelter for the incoming folks from Mexico. We had to climb over black garbage bags of their possessions to get from our room to the stairs. Staff was really nice but otherwise a terrible dump. Other shocker was a Doubletree in Vancouver, WA not far from Portland Airport. The couch was old vinyl type and full of holes, they said they couldn’t replace it, bring in a folding chair or even put a blanket over it to make it more comfortable to sit on because only Hilton approved furnishings/decor were allowed. I assumed an upgrade was in the works. But more than a year later I see pictures on Yelp of the awful couches and they are still the same! I just chalk it up to the fact we no longer live in a customer driven world, embrace the awfulness. This was the couch we had.
I think the shocking part was the price for the room was almost $500 for one night.

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to the cruise port I believe the best thing to do is rent a car for the night$54 from Costco and drive 30 minutes away and there are some great places to stay. drive back to the airport in the morning and take the cruise line shuttle or taxi or Uber. Holland was $24 each.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We’ve stayed at FtL cruise port Springhill suites the past 2 years. It seems fine. A bit worn from heavy overnight cruisers usage. Breakfast is crazy. Burger King, Panda Express, chipotle next door. Free shuttle from FLL, paid shuttle to Port Everglades.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Really annoying. I have been staying Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express pre or post cruise unless I have a cert. Holiday Inn is typically $50-100 less than the Marriotts. I think I have Springhill Suites next month. Booked it when it was $139.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also are fine with the Springhill Suites but often we are staying further away because we agree that lots of the hotels near FLL (and MIA) are not great to stay at. In fact, I’m alway looking to see if we can get a night at the timeshares because they are if much better shape and managed better.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are Tri-Rail and Brightline stations within 10 minutes of FLL. The Marriott Ft. Lauderdale North is near the Cypress Creek Tri-Rail station. There are also high speed trains from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando in 2 hr that make MCO an alternative to flying into FLL or PBI. These open up a lot of other hotel options for cruise pre/post stays.

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I've sworn off Residence Inn. I haven't had an experience as bad as yours (at least the toilets worked!) but the last one we stayed at was flea-infested (both in the room—the first room where we stayed two nights, they gave us a different room when we went down a plopped a live flea on the reception desk that had jumped on one of us — and in the breakfast area in the lobby, we literally saw them jumping in the carpet. I think that particular brand attracts people who do not have regular housing and they sometimes bring pets and other issue with them. My partner was dealing with painful flea bites for weeks afterwards. I think they gave me 1500 points or something, it was meaningless. And I'd had a couple other RI experiences previously that, when added to the flea-infested hotel, convinced me to avoid them in the future. I think they are often franchises, and while some are probably great, others don't maintain the standard.

Sadly, I think the area where the property is located is a more accurate predictor of overall quality than the brand name on the sign. It's worth doing a little homework and avoiding areas that may be a little sketchy, because the properties in that area are more likely to have issues. I'm no elitist, but I want clean and safe, and sometimes the most convenient location for your plans conflicts with that goal.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to how much the franchise owner cares and whether the management team at the property is any good. I've stayed at new RIs that were awesome and some that were very old and worn down. Same thing with Marriott flagship brand properties. All in all, I'm happy with Marriott, but will never hesitate to complain when I don't get what I am paying for.

Any hotel near an airport or cruise ship terminal are going to get worn out fast. I agree with the post about staying a little farther away, especially in places near residential areas.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at this property for our April pre cruise with Celebrity Cruise Lines April 6, 2024.
1. Our suite was very clean and we had no check in problems or maintenance issues. We were in room 424 over looking the pool area.
2. We did not see any homeless people on or around this property.
3. This property was full with cruises guests from Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Celebrity Cruises Lines.
4. The shuttle service offer by the hotel was good, but expensive.
Uber was cheaper and faster to the short ride to the cruise port.
5. We receive only one bag of white popcorn and two bottles of waters as Marriott guest.
6. No vehicles were vandalized during our stay.