• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

gsagan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
My points are in process now. I sent the email (used exact instructions from original post, including subject line, no "reason" provided) and I got an email later that day saying my contract qualified.

Within a week (last Thursday), I got the agreement to sign and return with a check for $250. I sent priority mail, and got confirmation that my agreement arrived yesterday. Now I'm watching for the check to clear my bank. So far it's been less than 2 weeks since I started the process (original email sent 8/27).

I am so grateful for finding this post!

Paula
Thanks Paula. We sent our email out labor day weekend and got a mitigation number right away. They said they would let us know in 2 working days. They did. We are now waiting for the paperwork. We pay $1700 MF.

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks OP. This is easily the most useful thread on TUG I've ever seen!

I sent in my initial email on Friday and got a response today saying that I qualified for surrender. We got over 5 years of use out of it (and used it a lot), but it was beginning to feel like an anchor. This isn't an ideal exit strategy, but it's nice that there is one now.

FWIW, we did not provide a hardship excuse.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
a bit of an update. It's been 2 months now since DRI took/sent my Warranty Deed over to the Cococino County Recorders office. As someone told me here, the moment my deed is recorded with them, the transfer has taken place. But I still have an account with DRI as of yesterday. :wall: So I emailed the person who I've been dealing with over there and she apologized, saying she called the Cancellation Department about it and they will make sure it's closed within the next two weeks.

So, keep on top of them. It can take a bit of time for some, but not everyone, to wrap it all up.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have weeks reserved and paid maintenance fees, will they still do the deed back and do you get to keep the reserved weeks?

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have weeks reserved and paid maintenance fees, will they still do the deed back and do you get to keep the reserved weeks?

I've heard, here, that you loose them unless you make a reservation through II. Although, I think further up the thread, someone mentioned that DRI allowed them to keep their DRI reservation. It might be a case by case situation.

I had 3000 points left after paying my MF last December, and made a reservation through II to use those points before mailing back my paperwork to DRI

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

As I understand, all fees must be current with no encumbered usage in current and future years. So if you made a reservation for this year using last year's points, I think that reservation would stand. But if you had made a reservation using this years points, you would probably need to cancel the reservation before they would accept the deedback.

That's just my understanding. Which means nothing. The only reliable word is what DRI says.

riperoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Started the process on 8/4 and have been requesting updates from them via email periodically. Latest was on 9/18.

"Thank you for your email. It is noted on your account that on 9-10-2015 the
executed deed along with check #1109 was received in our office on 9-10-2015.
The deed has been forwarded to one of our processors for review and
processing. You are welcome to follow up on a couple of weeks.

At Diamond Resorts International® we value our relationship with our members.
Should you have questions or concerns in regards to your request, please feel
free to contact us Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PST at
877.497.7521 or email Lossmitigation@DiamondResorts.com. For all other
questions or concerns regarding your contract, please call 877.DRI.CLUB
(877.374.2582)."

Seems to be moving, slooooowwwwllllly, but still moving. They still havent cashed my check, I will feel a lot better when I see that clear. I am really hoping this wraps before the end of the year.

Skymom

Reaction score
I'm now an Ex-DRI member!

I just checked my bank account and saw that my check to DRI cleared yesterday. I logged into my DRI account and got a message that there was no information associated with this account.

My initial email to DRI was sent on 8/27, and about 4 weeks later, I'm done.

I did ask for them to send me a copy of the fully executed mutual release, so that I have it for my records, but it's nice to know I won't be getting another membership fee bill later this year!

Thank you TUGBrian for posting the original instructions. They worked like a charm! :clap:

TUGVacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deedback Final

:wave: This is just a short note to say that my second Mystics Dunes unit has now been successfully deeded back to DRI. It cost me $500 to deedback the two units but I saved $2,400 in maintenance fees for 2016. Not too shabby considering I bought one of the units on EBay for $300 years ago and the other one I inherited from my parents. Over the years, we did lots of trading with these two units (one 2br and one 2br lock off). We also got and used a number of accommodation certificates and I took advantage of the XYZ program with these as well.

Going forward, I'm not totally out of the timeshare game. As many of you know, there's lots of good properties out there and a number of different ways to reserve them. I look forward to continued timesharing and trading success with the properties we still own as an informed Tugger.

Plus one to the feedback stats on this link!:wave:

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats, TUGVacationer! I successfully deeded back my Mystic Dunes week, too. Like you, I had purchased it a good while ago on Ebay, but got it for free. I had good luck with the unit - never stayed in it or even saw it, but it was a great trader in II. Unfortunately, my ~$500 MF turned into $~1100 over the years, so I was paying Marriott fees for a non-Marriott property, and exchanging it was a losing proposition (unless I managed to use an XYZ or AC which I often did not manage). I've been trying to scale down our TS ownerships and figured I'd be stuck with this one forever since I couldn't imagine anyway wanting to take it with that MF. Thank heavens for this thread. I've said it before but I'll say it again - thanks TUG!

gsagan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yipee.Got my info from DRI.

Just got the information and paperwork to transfer our 2 contracts back to DRI.
Had one for 5000 points and one for 2000. Will fill-in the paperwork and send a check for $500 transfer fee.

TUGVacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Donnaval you are spot on!

I've been trying to scale down our TS ownerships and figured I'd be stuck with this one forever since I couldn't imagine anyway wanting to take it with that MF. Thank heavens for this thread. I've said it before but I'll say it again - thanks TUG!

Your point is well taken. We have one last Mystic Dunes unit that I am 90% sure I'll deedback as well. When we bought it in 2001, maintenance fees were $500ish for the two bedroom. Now they are $1,200+. Marriott prices indeed and I don't know why someone would take on this maintenance fee which is similar to some Marriott fees. So this DRI deedback program came to my attention at just the right time.

Mystic Dunes is a nice resort, but given how easy it is to trade in to Orlando, I'd rather own elsewhere. My strategy is to book my two banked weeks in the next month while I start the deedback process. I'll save another $1,200 and will pay for two other family members to enjoy one more family vacation on us. It has been a great ride!

Skymom

Reaction score
Oh man, getting excited, Check just cleared.

You're almost home free. I had my check clear last week, and my DRI account access went POOF too. Today, I received the fully endorsed release form for my records. Going to go in the safe with my car title, deeds, etc.

Mission accomplished! :whoopie:

Sharhu

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have have also successfully deeded back our Polo Tower 2 bedroom wk 43 timeshare. Paperwork sent on 9/2, check cashed 9/14. I was told by phone today that the deed was recorded 9/18 and they will be emailing me a copy. Tried to sign in and no access/no account. That was short and easy. Thank You TUG.

We have enjoyed staying at Polo but with maintenance fees rising, we are both retired this year and now spend a lot of time camping with the big 5th wheel we bought a couple years ago instead. We still have our Jockey Club 1 bedroom which we really love as we are fortunate to have a penthouse overlooking the fountains so we will still be in Las Vegas every year. Now if only there was an easy way to get rid of my Legacy Resort Brigantine timeshare......

farmgirl56

Reaction score
I just started the process, sent my initial email and have already received the automated reply. Hope this works for me, too.

silviaq

Reaction score
former goldkey properties

I inquired about possible deedback of Oceanaire in Virginia Beach. Below is reply, so there may be hope next year...

"Thank you for your patience.
I have looked further into your request.

It does appear at this time we are not accepting this property back for our deedback program. I cannot guarantee that this property will be added in the near future.

But please feel free to submit a new request at the start of the new year. We do not have an exact schedule of when or if any changes will be occurring on properties they will accept for such program. "

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was hoping when I came on here today, it was to tell you all that my online account has finally been closed, but it is not the case. So I won't consider myself free until I can no longer log into the DRI site.

I contacted DRI on September 21 to ask how long it would take for them to close my account online. It's almost 3 months now that my Warranty deed has been with the recorders office in Cococino County. They replied saying that they have contacted the cancellation department about it. Then 4 days later, on Sept 25, they emailed me back saying that my account has been officially cancelled from their system and that it would take up to a week for it to be reflected online. That's now 3 weeks ago, and I still have an account online :wall: I'll give it another week....then send an other email in. Sooooo frustrating

farmgirl56

Reaction score
It's been a week since I sent my initial email and received the automated response that I would be contacted within 1-2 business days. I sent a second email following up after three days, still no response. Just called Financial Services and spoke with a very nice lady, but the best she could do is send another email on my behalf. I couldn't be cc-ed on the email, nor sent the message that she sends to Inventory Takeback because it's different internal department. When I asked if I could be transferred because she didn't have any information for me, she said they didn't have a transfer line. So I have no way of knowing if an email will even be sent, but I'm still hopeful that something good will happen.

smsunder

Reaction score
I found this thread searching for a way to surrender our deeded property with DRI. I followed the steps from the 1st post submitting to DRI via email with the pertinent information and documentation on Saturday, October 17th and received the automated response with ticket # stating a rep would be calling in 1-2 days.

I called Monday, October 19 to confirm receipt of my email request but was sent to voicemail. I called back today, October 20 and spoke with Joanne who stated responses are now 1-2 weeks via email due to the volume of surrender requests.

Status: waiting game not knowing if surrender will be accepted for Kaanapali Beach Club in Maui, HI....

donnsuz

Reaction score
What about a partial deed back?

I'm weighing the pros and cons of deeding back part of our DRI points. We're still using them and really enjoy the vacations but the nearly $8000/year MF are getting pretty tough to deal with. Not sure being Platinum is worth it. We have 50,000 points but they're under five different contracts. Does anyone know if you have to deed back all of your points or could we deed back just a couple of our contracts so that our MF are reduced? :shrug:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
dont see why not, email them and ask =)

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far the best thing about DRI buying out Gold Key is they started taking back weeks and one of mine is gone!

I really like this resort but have decided to go a different time of year and this week didn't trade well so I bought an RCI points unit here before the buy out so I'm still locked into that! And the $40 home resort exchanges is pretty nice!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445552926.612093.jpg