• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions for Williamsburg, VA

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
We are headed to Williamsburg June 12-19th. We are looking for suggestions for places to eat, prefer moderately priced. Wondering where the locals go?

We plan to visit Colonial Williamsburg and the Jamestown settlement. Any advice? Other places to visit?

I'm here right now. My favorite place to eat (if you like Chinese) is Pekings on Bypass Rd. I've been going there some 30 odd years now on my visits to Williamsburg.

If you want to go out for breakfast and like really, REALLY big pancakes, check out the Astronomical Pancake House.

If you are downtown Williamsburg, in Merchant Square, stop by the Cheese Shop. Awesome sandwiches in the back that won't break the bank and you can grab some fine cheese for a Cheese & Wine evening back at the resort.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Nope, Yorktown Beach (smallish) is closer. When we were there three weeks ago, there were two weddings, one engagement party, and a prom going on in Yorktown. Guess folks were tired of the pandemic.

Yes, there are beaches along the river so it depends on whether the OP wanted a beach on the ocean or on the river.

DRIless

Reaction score
Thanks for all the wonderful restaurant recommendations! I'll make some reservations.
We are hoping for some pleasant weather next week in Williamsburg.
If we should decide to go to the beach, where would you suggest?
The closest beach, as far as I know, is Virginia Beach, about an hour away.
Virginia Beach and Boardwalk are ~55miles away can be 2hrs +

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't drive to VA Beach. It can be very crowded. Great place to stay if you are going to be there for a few days, but a day trip will be a lot of effort. Yorktown beach is pretty good actually and a 20 minute drive on the Colonial Parkway from Williamsburg. You may also want to consider driving along the same Parkway the other direction towards Jamestown. There are several good places to pull over and park at historical markers for a picnic or just to throw a blanket out and get some sun. There aren't really good places to go swimming in the James and some sections are dangerous.

DRIless

Reaction score
I'm here right now. My favorite place to eat (if you like Chinese) is Pekings on Bypass Rd. I've been going there some 30 odd years now on my visits to Williamsburg.

If you want to go out for breakfast and like really, REALLY big pancakes, check out the Astronomical Pancake House.

If you are downtown Williamsburg, in Merchant Square, stop by the Cheese Shop. Awesome sandwiches in the back that won't break the bank and you can grab some fine cheese for a Cheese & Wine evening back at the resort.

Pekings OFF the Bypass between Pirate Golf and Wyndham Kingsgate
120 Waller Mill Rd suite J, Williamsburg, VA 23188
Located in: Kingsgate Green in 'abandoned' Kmart shopping plaza

Cheese Shop Virginia Ham Salad Sandwich is the best.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a beach in Hampton, VA called Buckroe Beach. It is off the 64 Interstate headed toward Norfolk & VA Beach..

The beach in Gloucester you must pay a small toll to cross the bridge.
You do not paid a toll coming back to Williamsburg; Also, if the Colonial Pkwy road is open. Please take it. It is a very cool ride with old tall trees on both sides of the road .

Last edited:

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions. We do like Chinese. Enjoy your stay in Williamsburg this week.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are an hour away only if there is no traffic backups in the Tunnel or the Bridge (which happens often). Williamsburg is not the place to stay if you want to do beach time.
I was wondering about traffic to and from Virginia Beach. We may want to consider Yorktown Beach. Thanks!

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a beach in Hampton, VA called Buckroe Beach. It is off the 64 Interstate headed toward Norfolk & VA Beach..

The beach in Gloucester you must pay a small toll to cross the bridge.
You do not paid a toll coming back to Williamsburg; Also, if the Colonial Pkwy road is open. Please stay it. It is a very cool ride with old tall trees on both sides of the road .
Thanks Pedro! I'll look at a map for the beaches. I do want to drive along the Colonial Pkwy road. It sounds beautiful.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRlless thanks for the beach article. Lots of good information. I think we'll visit Yorktown beach and boardwalk. It's closer than Virginia Beach and sounds lovely. Grammarhero and Big Matt also recommend Yorktown Beach.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't drive to VA Beach. It can be very crowded. Great place to stay if you are going to be there for a few days, but a day trip will be a lot of effort. Yorktown beach is pretty good actually and a 20 minute drive on the Colonial Parkway from Williamsburg. You may also want to consider driving along the same Parkway the other direction towards Jamestown. There are several good places to pull over and park at historical markers for a picnic or just to throw a blanket out and get some sun. There aren't really good places to go swimming in the James and some sections are dangerous.
Great advice! I think we'll check out Yorktown Beach. It's so much closer. The drive along the Parkway sounds wonderful. So much to see and do in one week!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

I have never seen a town with so many pancake and waffle houses in my life.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@TUGBrian might be good to put this thread in the next TUG Weekly newsletter.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Rocco's Smoke House on the US 60 Bypass
NY Deli & Pizza in a strip shopping center on the right out US 60 before you get to Wmsburg Pottery

Votes for Food for Thought, Sal's by Victor, Oceans & Ale, and Aberdeen Barn.

For Mexican, my wife likes La Tolteca. I like Plaza Azteca but we never go there (guess why!).

Water Street Grille in Yorktown.

Any Chick-fil-A or Five Guys.

Brett

Reaction score

another recommendation for Yorktown beaches instead of traveling to Va. Beach
And there's history --- you can see where Geo. Washington fought and won the Revolutionary War (somewhat)

Also Fort Monroe is closer with Chesapeake Bay beaches

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
another recommendation for Yorktown beaches instead of traveling to Va. Beach
And there's history --- you can see where Geo. Washington fought and won the Revolutionary War (somewhat)

Also Fort Monroe is closer with Chesapeake Bay beaches
I searced for the Fort Monroe website. It looks very interesting.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
escanoe said:
I have never seen a town with so many pancake and waffle houses in my life.

Kind of like going to Gatlinburg. :ROFLMAO:

Did you somehow miss Pigeon Forge? more pancake houses than anywhere I've ever seen. It's the "Myrtle Beach of the mountains".
They're closer together with easier parking....we just eat and travel to the next......;)
Stack of pancakes with a side of link sausage or country ham........heaven on earth!!!!!

For Williamsburg, there are a ton of great restaurants....for a really nice place that's also reasonable, with a huge menu,
check out Second Street American Bistro....you'll love it.

Williamsburg location:

Menu:

Photos:

Last edited:

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Did you somehow miss Pigeon Forge? They're closer together with easier parking....we just eat and travel to the next......;)
Stack of pancakes with a side of link sausage or country ham........heaven on earth!!!!!

For Williamsburg, there are a ton of great restaurants....for a really nice place that's also reasonable, with a huge menu,

I consider Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, and Gatlinburg all one in the same under Gatlinburg. If I tell someone I'm going to Pigeon Forge, they say "huh??". If I say Gatlinburg they know where I'm going.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you somehow miss Pigeon Forge? They're closer together with easier parking....we just eat and travel to the next......;)

Williamsburg location:

Menu:

Photos:
The food looks delicious at Second St! So many restaurant choices...we won't go hungry.

Brett

Reaction score
I searced for the Fort Monroe website. It looks very interesting.

Lot's of history (Civil War, WWI, WW2) and Fort Monroe is across from the Navy ships and commerical port terminals
Every day you can see navy and commercial ships sail out and back in
(and submarines !)
'

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I consider Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, and Gatlinburg all one in the same under Gatlinburg. If I tell someone I'm going to Pigeon Forge, they say "huh??". If I say Gatlinburg they know where I'm going.

I agree, was "just sayin'"..........