• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Survey on new points program: Are you going to sign up?

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
1. Are you going to join the new system
Not unless there are significant changes to the program. I need to see a benefit for me other than some teaser 800 pts (which would only bump up my points enough to get my normal reservation anyway - so much for extra days). I don't make enough II trades with my week to see fee savings. While some are very happy with their points trades, so far I'm really disappointed that Marriott chose not to intermingle Trust inventory more. If I can't make equitable trades via points, there needs to be some other benefit! The only thing the points system has that I like is the ability to guarantee view, but I think I can do better with a private party exchange. If I don't work out an exchange one year, I am always happy to use my week, so it's not like I will be sweating it. Additionally, for the next decade I am locked in to summer travel the majority of the time, so using points would be a particularly expensive way to travel.

2. if so, did you buy a developer week
Yes, but I am thinking of adding a cheap resale week to partly use, partly trade, so that makes the new program even less appealing as I would then have to maintain a separate personal II account.

3. What timeshare do you own, what season, how many bedrooms
Waiohai OV 2BR

4. If you are not going to join, how will you use your week
Use it and occasionally exchange it.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. No
2. Yes
3. Canyon Villas Plat 2bd lockoff, Grande Vista Plat 2bd lockoff, Maui Ocean Club (northern tower) Plat 2 bd lockoff island view 2 wks, Lakeshore Reserve 2 bd lockoff
4. Use for selves and family, swap with friends, II, deposit for MR points, and/or rent out, all as before

sandytoes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Survey on new points program: Are you going to sign up?
1. Are you going to join the new system- possibly . . . . I like the idea of the Adventure Travel. My understanding is that if I enroll, I can still decide to use the week as I have always used them with II (split and trade with II). So, my thouhgts right now are to mix up how I use my vactions . . .some with II and some for adventure traveling.

2. if so, did you buy a developer week - YES

3. What timeshare do you own, what season, how many bedrooms

Williamsburg Manor Club - Plat - 2 bedroom lockoff
Ocean Point - 3 bedroom Ocean Front - Lockoff

4. If you are not going to join, how will you use your week - A mixture of both old and new . . .best of both worlds :)

dartmax

Reaction score
The point system and over selling sold out resorts

I am comcerned that if Marriott is selling "vacation Package points" and the points can be used at completely sold out resorts it will result in current owners not getting into their home resorts. If over bookings are allowed then owners who do not participate in the program will either not get the weeks they want due the weeks/days being already gone to the point system. I am also concerned that II will no longer get weeks from Marriott and owner deposited weeks will be grabbed by Marriott first to go the point program before Marriott owners can get the week from II. More Marriott owners should go to ownertrades.com an owners site for Marriot owners exclusively.

ABC13

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO!
Own 2 resale weeks, Grande Vista/2BR/Platinum
Will use weeks or trade II till that goes South
Nearly went for it but it almost got to deception after 4 reps told me 4 different things. We were happy with system before. Love the resorts.

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am comcerned that if Marriott is selling "vacation Package points" and the points can be used at completely sold out resorts it will result in current owners not getting into their home resorts. If over bookings are allowed then owners who do not participate in the program will either not get the weeks they want due the weeks/days being already gone to the point system. I am also concerned that II will no longer get weeks from Marriott and owner deposited weeks will be grabbed by Marriott first to go the point program before Marriott owners can get the week from II. More Marriott owners should go to ownertrades.com an owners site for Marriot owners exclusively.

These issues have been discussed over and over again. Owners of weeks at resorts whether sold out or not will still be able to reserve a week at their home resort. Whether its the week they want or not has nothing to do with DC enrollees at that resort. Weeks become available to DC points traders at sold out resorts only as DC enrollees at those resorts elect points in a given year. Otherwise, the weeks stay in the weeks pool as normal.

Marriott weeks in II weeks might diminish somewhat over time. In fact, they have probably diminished already due to Marriott's doing fewer bulk deposits of unsold weeks (which are now in the Trust). There might also be some diminishing as time goes by due to enrollees using Marriott's exchange program rather than II. However, there will always be Marriott deposits into II. They will never completely dry up.

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
No way, no way.

As an owner of weeks, what turned me off most about my points presentation was the not so subtle suggestion by the salesman that I should enroll in the program to avoid being at the back of the line for access to desirable weeks. Since my Ko Olina purchase was predicated upon 50 week platinum access, I found the possibility that points owners would be favored highly disturbing. But I'll be darned if I'll be shoved into the points program just to keep the access I'm supposed to have bought already.

I'm also kind of furious that the points program now institutes several new high (or higher) season weeks than before. In fact, 23 weeks have now moved out of the 50-week "all platinum" category, and my existing usage would only be sufficient for 27 of the 50. But even so, I guess that's better than what most other resort owners are experiencing. Some deal, hunh?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think a new sticky poll should be posted, each one for a year through September 30 of each year. The new poll would ask; "Did you convert your YYYY week to points?" Offer a Yes/No option only. No maybe's, perhaps, or ifs. Once the decision is made to convert or not, you vote. If you vote maybe and then decide, the current polling system won't let you change it.

sidmanm

Reaction score
Still no DC for me

I'm currently at GV in Orlando, we bought a 3BR Platinum season via 3rd party 4 years ago. The new system is not so new, and have yet to see anything that points to me getting the same value (8 days/7 nights) in Orlando in a 3BR suite (HUGE!) under DC without getting financially raped.

I've looked at the thread with no new details from the DC audience, but my interaction with some at GV is that they like the system if you can 1) accept shorter vacation trips for the same $ (HUH???) and 2) don't plan to use weekends, which are much higher points compared to weekdays. Seems like a near-perfect system for Marriott, but as much as I want to give them more money for less, I can't.....

Enjoying the 3BR experience at GV,

Michael