• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The first record you bought?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The first record I remember buying with my own money was a reading of "A Christmas Carol" - IIRC the reader was Sir Laurence Olivier. The record was a Christmas present to my family. I was probably about ten years old.

I think the first record I bought for myself was a 45 rpm of 19th Nervous Breakdown by the Stones.

laxmom

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
Reaction score
I had albums that were given to me but the very first one I bought with my own money was "Toys in the Attic" by Aerosmith. Oh yea....Walk this Way!:whoopie:

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gosh, this thread sure does give our ages away! I like it though! :)
How about first concerts?
Mine was Donavan followed closely there-after by Cat Stevens. My aunt worked for Ticketron in the early 70's and got my friends and I front row seats for both of these!
Thanks for the memories

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My first and still favorite : Steely Dan / Can`t buy a thrill

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having older siblings sure made it easy to avoid buying my own albums. I knew The Beatles, James Taylor, The Guess Who, The Carpenters, and so many more favorites before I was ten.

And then I sent in one of those 10 records for a penny forms from a magazine. I had just inherited my older sister's stereo and ordered all albums as 8 tracks!! In my head, I still can hear the background track of one Olivia Newton John song playing over another. Yuck.

I gave my sister money to buy The Rolling Stones Greatest hits off of a tv commercial. Just loved Mother's Little Helper, though I had no idea of its meaning.

I asked this question of my husband and am again reminded of my seniority to him. His first album was a cassette.

Last edited:

laxmom

Reaction score
Yea, my older siblings listened to Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, etc. The were 12 and 16 years older than me.

My first concert was Kenny Rogers. Dottie West and Dolly Parton performed. And I didn't even like country music! It was a family thing with my parents.:rolleyes:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The first album I remember buying was one by Peter, Paul and Mary. Can't remember the name right now. I finally saw them on one of their come-back tours in the 80's.

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
first concert

was elton john with a special guest apperance by john lennon on thanskgiving 1975 followed by led zepplin at madison square garden on feb 12th 1976 in a blizzard . I have been to at least a coupla hundred since :D

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Soundtrack

As a teenager we were so cheap we lent each other all our 45's. Can't remember who bought what. But I do remember "investing" in my first LP. The movie soundtrack to the spagetti westerns. Good , bad , Ugly.Fistfull of dollars. etc. It had a hand drawn picture of Clint Eastwood in his poncho smoking the cigar. One of the best recordings I ever bought. Heard it a little while ago and it still sounds great.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It was either America's "Horse With No Name" or Michael Jackson's "Ben". I bought both right around the same time with my paper route money. Geeze, my girlfriends and I would spend hours organizing the charts in our 45 boxes!

For some silly junior-high reason I had to write out the lyrics to "Ben" in a notebook and the first night I tried to do it my dad came up to my room, after forty-five minutes or me starting and stopping the tabletop record player, and told me that both the record and the player were going OUT THE WINDOW if I didn't let him hear the entire song!

thanks for the Memory Lane stroll,
Susan

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Hmmm, first concert other than Boston's city parks summer series was I think Queen at the old Boston Garden. The best concert, though, was Boz Scaggs (Silk Degrees was on the radio playlists and my turntable), Fleetwood Mac (Rumours) and The Eagles (blue Greatest Hits album) at the old Shaeffer Stadium in Foxboro, sometime around junior/senior year of high school. 9 of us went together and didn't get out of the parking lot until 4:30 in the morning, after the bands played from 6-1 or so. It was a blast.

love this thread,
Susan

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The best concert, though, was Boz Scaggs and . . .The Eagles
We just saw Boz Scaggs about 3-4 weeks ago at the Las Vegas Hilton (he's still great) and we're going to Atlanta to see the Eagles in May. Can't wait!

I think my first record might have been "Hey Baby", too. Thanks, Makai Guy, for jogging my memory.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Meet the Beatles

First album was "Meet the Beatles"

First concert was "The Doors" - January 19, 1968 Carousel Theater - West Covina, CA

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
First concert I ever went to was Donovan at the St. Louis Opera House, when I was a freshman. That really dates me, I guess.

Best concert is a tie between a couple of events.

One was about 20 years ago - a friend and I went to Eli's Mile High Club in Oakland to see John Lee Hooker, headlining a triple set with the Mission Street Blues Band and Ron Thompson and the Resistors.

Midway through his set John Lee introduced his special unannounced guest - Carlos Santana. John Lee and Carlos boogied almost non-stop for about an hour. Then Ron Thompson (unknown outside blues circles in the Bay Area but possessing some very fine chops himself) joined them on stage for the encore, and the three of them went at it for at least another half hour. They were still going strong when we left about 2:30 am.

The other was back in St. Louis about 1972 when I was an upperclassman. A friend told me that there was going to be an unannounced concert in the student lounge in the School of Social Work at Washington University. I headed over to see what was going on. Turned out to be Johnny Shines, singing to a grand total of about 30 or 40 people. Every recording of him I've ever heard completely pales with having been about ten feet away from him and him looking me right in the eye as he sang and played.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first 45, a very long time ago, was a song called "Personality"...I can't remember the guy who sang it...but I still know a lot of the words!
Connie

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My first concert was with Rick, after we were married, and it was an Edgar Winter concert, where Ronnie Montrose (Rick's brother) played guitar. My second concert was Ronnie's own band, Montrose, with Sammy Haggar as the vocalist.

My favorite concert, relatives aside, was Neil Diamond. :D

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Connie -

Is this the song?

"She's got personality'

style

Peronality
walk

personality
talk

Plus she's got a great big smile - oh over and over I'll be a fool for you - over and over I'm a fool for you. "

If so, it was sung by Lloyd Price and reached number 2 on the charts in 1959.

Richard

In The Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first 45 I purchased was Crimson and Clover, and my first album was The Monkeys. Never could decide which one I loved more.... Mickey or Davey. LOL I've still got all my 45's and albums.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
First concert I ever went to was Donovan at the St. Louis Opera House, when I was a freshman. That really dates me, I guess.QUOTE]

Hey, Donovan was my first too! At the brand new Forum Stadium in Inglewood, CA. My best friend and I had eye level, very close seats. He sat on the floor, on his carpet, for most of the songs. We were also freshman and wasn't sure what that good smell was that was wrafting through the air. LOL

hofftkmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
FCA

Frampton Comes Alive! Still the best selling live album of all time. Do you feel like we do?

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Adding first concert. It was the Beach Boys & Sonny & Cher. I was 12 and my best friend and I got to go to the Auditorium Theater in Rochester, NY by bus to see it but had to get a ride home. I remember seeing the equipment being brought out the stage entrance when we left and somehow feeling I got a special treat because of that. I even touched Dennis Wilson's drum case. Started my path to a 25 year journey as a (sometimes) professional drummer that I still recall very fondly today. Even the unplanned stays at unknown homes as we traveled from show to show.

Just this week my aspiring guitarist daughter "brought home" two bands from Massachusetts that had just played in Buffalo where she saw them perform, were on the way to Pennsylvania and needed a place to crash for the night. How could I say no? I owe at least a few to get even. It was interesting when one of the guys saw my drums and wanted to know if I still played. Unless you count three or four times a year the answer is no. I wish it wasn't but so it goes.

Later I got to perform with Carly Simon, Cheech & Chong (as a warm up act band) and some other fairly well known artists of the time. I can recall every minute of those shows but mostly what an unreliable way music is to make a living. Especially if you want to play what you like. Looking back the "greatest mistake" in music has to be the time our band, great musicians we were, rejected this young singer who tried out. We could do better we just knew it. Well, maybe not. Lou Graham went on to quite a career later as I seem to recall. Not that we could have held on to him long anyway but who knows. Still, I wouldn't give that experience up for anything. Great memories.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Whoa! timeos2 Plays Drums? Who knew?

I even touched Dennis Wilson's drum case. Started my path to a 25 year journey as a (sometimes) professional drummer that I still recall very fondly today.
I never even suspected you might be a fellow musician, John.

Hats off to you -- & happy paradiddles.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I've never owned a record. My first CD was AC/DC's Who Made Who. :D

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I saw ronnie warm up journey back in 77 when I was stationed in norfolk va. great guitarist .

He is amazing at that guitar. I love his Town Without Pity rendition. He played it at his fourth wedding a few years ago, September of 2004, at my request. Rick's firehouse band (all of the guys are firefighters at station 9 in Denver, except the drummer, who is a mortician) plays 3 of Ronnie's best: Bad Motor Scooter, Rock Candy and I Got the Fire.

He played with Boz Scaggs to get a good start, then Edgar Winter, then his own band, Montrose, then he started Gamma.

He turned 60 in November. :eek: