• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The "TUG Process"

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want to name names (or venues), but I am intensely amused that somehow off in 'barely informed timeshare consumer land' the act of rescinding has become known as the "TUG Process". OP seemed to have no idea what TUG was or even the word rescind...but knew that they wanted out of their timeshare contract!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I don't want to name names (or venues), but I am intensely amused that somehow off in 'barely informed timeshare consumer land' the act of rescinding has become known as the "TUG Process". OP seemed to have no idea what TUG was or even the word rescind...but knew that they wanted out of their timeshare contract!

Interesting, I have not seen that yet, but do see TUG mentioned in general occasionally.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that mean TUG is at least helping the uninformed get out? Then if they stuck on here long enough, they will get back in with something they understand and can use at an even better price.
;)
;);)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wouldn't that mean TUG is at least helping the uninformed get out? Then if they stuck on here long enough, they will get back in with something they understand and can use at an even better price.
;)
;);)
It would be interesting to know what percentage of people that rescind later go on to buy resale. I suspect it is very low.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
It would be interesting to know what percentage of people that rescind later go on to buy resale. I suspect it is very low.
Really? Why? They were willing to buy / wanted the timeshare. When they find out they can get it for nearly free or pennies on the dollar, why wouldn’t they buy?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Really? Why? They were willing to buy / wanted the timeshare. When they find out they can get it for nearly free or pennies on the dollar, why wouldn’t they buy?
Many may not have actually wanted it and thought it sounded good in the presentation and were ultimately pressured in to buying. They also get a bad taste of the product from the sales presentation. If they rescinded due to research, they may not have even learned about resale and are just getting out because of all the negative publicity around timeshare. About 15% of people rescind. Is the resale market that big? What percentage of timeshare resales are actually going to existing owners who didn’t rescind?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
They figure they escaped by the skin of their teeth. I bet fewer do “research” and rescind, than just rethink the usually considerable investment and come to their senses.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We loved the timeshare concept but not the upfront cost. We bought, rescinded because I learned how to do that from TUG, then bought resale.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id bet its higher than the % of people that even realize they can rescind in time and then end up stuck with one. either way, i dont mind this new label at all, though id bet we could come up with a more creative term to use!!

I recall dad telling me he went on a marriott presentation a while ago while they were on vacation....salesman was actually using TUG in his pitch saying how its one of their best sales tools because everyone there is a happy owner etc. dad let him continue on with his pitch and told him after it was over...guess he got a good laugh out of it at least!

timesharing has mastered the art of twisting fact into fiction for sure.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'll take "TUG PROCESS" as an extreme complement. I sure some have looked us up when they heard the term. I wish someone said that term to me. I purchased my first timeshare from a developer and once I found TUG resale all the way.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take "TUG PROCESS" as an extreme complement. I sure some have looked us up when they heard the term. I wish someone said that term to me. I purchased my first timeshare from a developer and once I found TUG resale all the way.

We were actually saved by TUG...through the "KIDS PROCESS". We were at Hilton's Hawaiian Village with our young kids, paying cash to stay in a 1BR suite for the first time. We were snagged by a HGVC scout and told, 'Sure...bring the kids' to the presentation'. Which we did.

Not having to pay full fare to stay in a suite every time we visited Hawaii visited sounded great...but there was no way we could commit to thinking about anything much less a $X0,000 purchase as we split our attention between kids and salesrep. So we were given until the next day to sign, found TUG that night, and politely declined the next morning. And purchased resale at the HHV Lagoon Tower shortly thereafter...

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
What baffles me more than anything is that when "We Tuggers, evangelize to our friends and relatives to never buy direct from a Sales Pitch", Then you find out that they bought anyway.

I just can't believe when I read that or we have friends that bought from Wyndham in Vegas? Sheesh!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What baffles me more than anything is that when "We Tuggers, evangelize to our friends and relatives to never buy direct from a Sales Pitch", Then you find out that they bought anyway.

I just can't believe when I read that or we have friends that bought from Wyndham in Vegas? Sheesh!

Many people buy timeshares as a status symbol and enjoy complaining of the very high costs. It's a form of bragging that helps their ego's, imo. The same thing applies to vehicles, imo. I know people that will not buy a used car or used timeshare. They actually seem offended when I tell them they can get a Marriott, Hilton or any top tier timeshare for very little. These same people occasionally ask me about how we afford to travel to Hawaii and other places for lengthy stays which seems kind of offensive really and I tell them someone like them bought a timeshare and decided to give it to us.

Bill

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
id bet its higher than the % of people that even realize they can rescind in time and then end up stuck with one. either way, i dont mind this new label at all, though id bet we could come up with a more creative term to use!!

I recall dad telling me he went on a marriott presentation a while ago while they were on vacation....salesman was actually using TUG in his pitch saying how its one of their best sales tools because everyone there is a happy owner etc. dad let him continue on with his pitch and told him after it was over...guess he got a good laugh out of it at least!

timesharing has mastered the art of twisting fact into fiction for sure.
Yeah then there is the current Thread about Marriott attempting to trade in weeks and buy more points. Only to find out that it's really a downgrade. I guess this should not surprise us as we all know the mantra. "Lips were moving" .

So grateful to this Tug community to share the wealth of knowledge.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
"I didnt choose the TUG life, the TUG life chose me!"

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Many people buy timeshares as a status symbol and enjoy complaining of the very high costs. It's a form of bragging that helps their ego's, imo. The same thing applies to vehicles, imo. I know people that will not buy a used car or used timeshare.
I mean, a used car can be quite a gamble depending on how used it is. There's no such thing as a new timeshare really - because it's not a tangible thing but really more of a service. It wouldn't make sense to talk about a new "doctors visit" or new "tour" or the like. Certainly not like you'd talk about a new car or laptop or other tangible item you can buy. And a resale timeshare *can* be a bad thing if you don't do your research because some companies restrict resales so much you're not really getting what a developer purchase gets. OTOH, there're plenty where for most intents and purposes you do get the same thing, perhaps minus a few perks the vast majority won't care about.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I mean, a used car can be quite a gamble depending on how used it is. There's no such thing as a new timeshare really - because it's not a tangible thing but really more of a service. It wouldn't make sense to talk about a new "doctors visit" or new "tour" or the like. Certainly not like you'd talk about a new car or laptop or other tangible item you can buy. And a resale timeshare *can* be a bad thing if you don't do your research because some companies restrict resales so much you're not really getting what a developer purchase gets. OTOH, there're plenty where for most intents and purposes you do get the same thing, perhaps minus a few perks the vast majority won't care about.

You are right in the car analogy I used. You could end up with a clunker buying used where you get the same exact thing for the most part buying a timeshare resale.

My point is that some people would rather buy the timeshare from the developer because they have enough money that the cost makes sense to them more so than buying something off eBay from an unknown seller.

Bill

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
You are right in the car analogy I used. You could end up with a clunker buying used where you get the same exact thing for the most part buying a timeshare resale.

My point is that some people would rather buy the timeshare from the developer because they have enough money that the cost makes sense to them more so than buying something off eBay from an unknown seller.

Bill
The people who have enough money to set it on fire by knowingly buying from the developer (in most cases) are not the people who are knowingly buying from the developer (in most cases). At least, that’s the impression I get. I’m excluding the rare edge cases where buying from the developer can maybe make sense with some very narrow strategies used in certain systems, although I think the days where buying from a developer could still make financial sense are largely behind us given how much developer prices have outpaced inflation over the last 40 years.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The people who have enough money to set it on fire by knowingly buying from the developer (in most cases) are not the people who are knowingly buying from the developer (in most cases). At least, that’s the impression I get. I’m excluding the rare edge cases where buying from the developer can maybe make sense with some very narrow strategies used in certain systems, although I think the days where buying from a developer could still make financial sense are largely behind us given how much developer prices have outpaced inflation over the last 40 years.

I think it depends on the people and the resort. Most of the people that are buying a higher priced timeshare do so because they want it and see value in it even at the high price. They don't have to think about if they can afford it because they can, imo. Most people buying developer products costing less can probably afford that too. Both of these types of sales are to people that see value in the product and know how much they can afford to pay, imo. Many in this group has enough cash to purchase without financing. This group probably represents about 25% of buyers.

The next group would be those that see value and buy but need financing. They buy nice timeshares from the developer because it seems to make sense and they can afford the costs.

The next group would be those that should not be buying a luxury item like a timeshare but they do and end up having problems keeping up with the costs.

No offence, but Tuggers are considered bottom feeders to developer sales staff. We buy, often for nothing, what others don't want and figure out how to get every dimes use out of the products because of the Tug community sharing tips.

From what I can tell most people feel that if the deal is too good it's a scam. A free timeshare does seem scammy to those that don't know what Tuggers know. That may be the biggest reason people are afraid of resales.

Bill