• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WEEKS owners - FACTS/QUESTIONS - new RCI Program

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am going to be very strict about this thread.

Please keep is short, sweet and factual.

This will be the thread where people can ask questions and get info.

Please post your opinions, debates, and analysis in the "Opinions Thread."

Thanks! :hi:

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a question that has been answered but I can't find it.

When is RCI making the change?

Thanks,
Anne

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
November 15

I'm sure this is a question that has been answered but I can't find it.

When is RCI making the change?

Thanks,
Anne

Everything we've heard is a 11/15/10 roll out.

crazyhorse

Reaction score
The link to Inside RCI explaining the new weeks exchange procedure was apparantly emailed by RCI to some (not all) of its members.

I found the link on another forum- posted by someone there.

RCI has not (in my mind) removed this subfile from its official "inside RCI" website, but either they have removed the click- on link to it, or the link was never here to begin with (or the link has failed).

Until we hear otherwise from RCI we must assume that the link above which gives a brief description of the new week exchange system is valid. More detail will follow in two weeks if RCI can manage to get its website runnung smoothly.

There has been much comment elsewhere regarding the possible number of bands to be used.
Talk has been of only one band encompassing all the weeks inventory in every possible week of exchange.throughout the year.
There has also been speculation of a multitude of bands, up to 50 plus.

I look forward to the 15th November (or so) to see the facts and the rest of the details.

:ponder:

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What RCI said about the Enhancements in Endless Vacation Magazine

In early October you may have received a copy of Endless Vacation magazine from RCI.

The text which follows is attributed to Endless Vacation magazine, Winter 2010 Edition Pages 74 and 75:

ENHANCEMENTS TO YOUR WEEKS MEMBERSHIP COMING SOON

Here's the scoop!

Throughout the past two years, we've launched many new features to make your vacation planning easier and more fun.
Later this year, we're unveiling more exciting changes that will give you even greater flexibility and more choices.
It's what you've been asking for, so be on the lookout!

a good thing

gets even

better!

To be sure you're ready to take advantage of these exciting new enhancements:

1. Deposit your week(s).

2. Ensure your membership is paid up to date.

3. Make sure you have paid your maintenance fee at your home resort.

RCI SERVES UP SOME CHANGES

Trading Power *

Deposit Trading Power will still be determined in the same way, but now you will be able to see what that number is. Soon you'll be able to see all available weeks for Exchange vacations, and compare the trading power of those weeks to your Deposit Trading Power.

Deposit Credits

If you confirm an Exchange with a lower trading power than your deposited week, you'll get a Deposit Credit for the remaining trading power you didn't use, which will appear as a new Deposit on your account for you to use however you like. Combine it with another Deposit or use it on its own to look for and book another vacation! **

Combine Deposited Weeks

If you want to trade up to an Exchange with a trading power higher than that of any of your Deposits, you can combine two or more of your weeks and their trading power, giving you access to vacations that you might not have been able to book in the past.

* For additional information on trading power, please see the Terms and Conditions of Weeks Subscribing Membership available at rci.com.

** These vacations are limited. Destinations and travel times are subject to availability and confirmed on a first come, first served basis. Offer includes only accomodations and specifically excludes travel costs and other expenses that may be incurred. Taxes, additional fees and charges may apply. All-inclusive resorts may charge a mandatory all-inclusive fee. Promotional discounts and offers may not apply to all properties. Other restrictions may apply. Offer void where prohibited by law. CST: 204655-50. Registeration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the State of California. Fla. Seller of Travel Reg. No. ST-26552.

Nevada Seller of Travel Registration No. 2002-0793

Washington Seller of Travel Reg. No. 602357907

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I kinda like the left over trading power concept ...

I have some tigers, and from what I read if Im exchanging into something less I will have left over power that I may be able to trade again.

Right?

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

I have some tigers, and from what I read if Im exchanging into something less I will have left over power that I may be able to trade again.

Right?

Correct. If there are a few left over claws or incisors you don't simply lose them but will have an option to reconnect them to other deposits or leftovers (at a price - and a critical unknown right now as to how they will charge to rehook those credits) to obtain another trade. That, and the ability to combine two or more low value weeks into one, may be among the best features of the newly revised program. The other is the simple ability to know what you hold in value and the values needed to get what you want.

crazyhorse

Reaction score
:hi:

The answer is yes, but the unresolved question is (until RCI answers this) is how much "change" you will have following a transaction.

If RCI keep to bands with say 5 whole "lite points" between the bands, you could get 5 or 10 or 15 etc exact number of "lite points" left over from your exchange with a lesser resort. You would have these points which you could use against another week (or combine as RCI infers).

On the other hand, it has been mooted that RCI may adopt more, but narrower bands, these being separated by a single number.

Now say your tiger is worth 58 points, you will have change over when you exchange into a 56 point resort, but this change is worth only 2 "lite points".

As you wouldn`t be able to get anything for these 2 points, such a system would be less useful to you than the coarse 5 point model. It would also mean practically every exchange that was made by members would result in "change" left over and in my opinion would be a little crazy.

But don`t discount either.

:hysterical:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
And don't forget that we'll also have the ability to SEE everything out there, even if we don't have enough trading value for it. That will really help us know if it's worthwhile to deposit a tiger or combine a couple lesser deposits.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many credits it will take for last minute inventory? Anyone see anything regarding this? I would be nice if I have a good trader and can get multiple last minute weeks out it.

rwpeterson

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1 - in - x rule

Will this change eliminate the 1- in- x rule that currently exists in the weeks program?

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will this change eliminate the 1- in- x rule that currently exists in the weeks program?

I wouldn't think so. Those rules are set by the resort, not by RCI. The resorts want you to be able to exchange in there once, so they can try and get you to buy there. They don't want it to be easy for you to return without buying from them.

abbekit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
And don't forget that we'll also have the ability to SEE everything out there, even if we don't have enough trading value for it. That will really help us know if it's worthwhile to deposit a tiger or combine a couple lesser deposits.

This is my favorite aspect of the new program. I'm now locked out of many places that I used to get since RCI devalued my timeshare. At least now I might have the ability to trade into something rather than waste my week and have to rent.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

Right?

How will you feel about having to pay a fee to use that change back?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and No. RCI and the resort (actually usually the developer) jointly make the 1 in ? rule. If you use a different exchange company into that resort, it does not apply.

I wouldn't think so. Those rules are set by the resort, not by RCI. The resorts want you to be able to exchange in there once, so they can try and get you to buy there. They don't want it to be easy for you to return without buying from them.

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
How will you feel about having to pay a fee to use that change back?

I was wondering this same thing..........if say I had some change back..RCI is going to want ANOTHER exchange fee for me to use my change back...???

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering this same thing..........if say I had some change back..RCI is going to want ANOTHER exchange fee for me to use my change back...???
Yes, you'll pay an exchange fee for every exchange. If you're able to make multiple exchanges from one deposit (because you get change back), you'll pay multiple exchange fees.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and No. RCI and the resort (actually usually the developer) jointly make the 1 in ? rule. If you use a different exchange company into that resort, it does not apply.

Right. I know. But the question was asking about whether the new RCI system would eliminate the 1 in x rule, which implies they were asking specifically about RCI. The answer to that question is no, I would not think it will impact the 1 in x rule between RCI and the resorts where such a rule exists. However, as Carolinian points out, you can often skirt this limitation by trading into the desired resort using a different exchange company each time (if any other exchange companies have access to the inventory).

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
i would expect to pay another exchange fee if i was going to use the leftovers.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
ARe weeks already spacebanked going to be switched to the new system?