• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kierland 1 bedroom Small vs Premium

dcarney64

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
grandview las vegas
Is the small bedroom the studio side of a 2 bedroom lockoff? Or is the 1 bedroom 2 different sized 1 bedroom units that have an attaching studio as a 2 bedroom lockoff suite?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
A Kierland 2-bed unit is a combination of a large 1-bed and a small 1-bed unit. There are no studios at Kierland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB

Don Springett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali, Westin Kierland
Is the small bedroom the studio side of a 2 bedroom lockoff? Or is the 1 bedroom 2 different sized 1 bedroom units that have an attaching studio as a 2 bedroom lockoff suite?
I think the large 1 BR are worth the points/costs. More space, full kitchen, and the Patio is very nice. Small 1 BR have a tiny kitchen/dining area with the sofa bed and no window. Patio is accessed from the master bedroom plus the Patio is offset as compared to the large 1 BR so it kind of feels you are in a cave.

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella Phase)
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club - Cancun Villas & Los Cabos Villas
Bluegreen - The Club at Big Bear & The Fountains, Orlando
I think the large 1 BR are worth the points/costs. More space, full kitchen, and the Patio is very nice. Small 1 BR have a tiny kitchen/dining area with the sofa bed and no window. Patio is accessed from the master bedroom plus the Patio is offset as compared to the large 1 BR so it kind of feels you are in a cave.

Agreed with this and they’re not much more. The 1 bedroom premium units are huge and have a full bathroom with separate tub and glass standup shower along with a huge full kitchen. The smaller 1 bedroom has a tub/shower combo and the kitchen is definitely more limited.

That being said, if a smaller 1 bedroom is all that’s available, it’s still a nice room. We’ve stayed in them multiple times during busy weeks with 2 adults and 2 kids and it worked out great. They are setup a little better than the smaller 1 bedrooms at other resorts so the living room does still have a window that doesn’t face out into the hallway area.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The only issue you may find is that the patio on the small side is set way back in and won't usually get a lot of sun. At least that has been our experience. There is also no oven, but no oven on the large side either. We have stayed in both and would now usually reserve the small side due to fewer StarOptions. If one is deciding which one to buy, the small side has a much better MF to StarOption ratio.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate the bathrooms in the small 1 BR. To shower you have to climb into a tall, deep tub and I always feel like I'm going to wind up in the ER.

dcarney64

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
grandview las vegas
Are the maintenance fees for the separate 1 bedroom units equivalent to the 2 bedroom? I think premium is $1550, so is smaller the difference to get you to 2 bedroom. Just thinking if buying the 1 bed Premium and 1 bedroom smaller would be ok vs buying the full 2 bedroom. Hoping to save money up front if MF are the same.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Negative: The combined MF 1 bedroom premium + 1 bedroom deluxe is about 25% more expensive than the 2 bedroom lock-off.

I do not have the exact #s as I do not own here. You can find the actual MF here: SVN MF Database

The 2024 MF are not fully populated for every WKV unit type, but if you look at the 2023 MF, all thge units are listed. You can see the MF spread where 1 + 1 = more than 2.