• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are the nicest independent Timeshares in Hawaii?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
i was looking at Sands of Kahana. For me I liked smaller locations that are very well maintained. I don’t need lots of on-site amenities.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The Hawaiian Princess out in Waianae has a great location on a beach with views. Sugar Beach Resort in South Kihei kind of fits the small resort dealio.

The Sands of Kahana kind of ran out of sand a while back. Did they fix the beach yet ?

Bill

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sugar Beach is in North Kihei, not South Kihei. It is an area that has flooding problems.

We own at Maui Lea at Maui Hill, which is in South Kihei. We have owned there since 1986 and like it alot. In fact we are there right now.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Sugar Beach is in North Kihei, not South Kihei. It is an area that has flooding problems.

We own at Maui Lea at Maui Hill, which is in South Kihei. We have owned there since 1986 and like it alot. In fact we are there right now.

Yup, North Kihei. I don't know why I mix that up. I think it's because I always turn on South Kehei Road to get to where I'm going. The thing I like about Sugar Beach Resort is it's on the beach and every room has an Ocean view.

I thought Maui Lea was part of Aston with many Hawaiian resorts. Maui Lea has no beach front is what I saw as we were driving by. It looks like a nice place.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yup, North Kihei. I don't know why I mix that up. I think it's because I always turn on South Kehei Road to get to where I'm going. The thing I like about Sugar Beach Resort is it's on the beach and every room has an Ocean view.

I thought Maui Lea was part of Aston with many Hawaiian resorts. Maui Lea has no beach front is what I saw as we were driving by. It looks like a nice place.

Bill
Maui Hill is a mixture of timeshare units, fully owned units and units that Aston rents out. There is no reciprocal with other Aston resorts. If I want to trade my unit I have to use Trading Places Maui or RCI. And no, it's not ocean front but many of the units have ocean views. We love the large units and large lanais. We have to drive to our favorite beach so we are fine not being on the beach.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_4975.jpeg

Here is a view from our lanai at Lawai Beach resort last month. Ali building room 1301. The lanai was the reason I bought into Lawai Beach Resort in this particular building. It’s a popular surfing spot and fun to watch the surfers as well as whales from the lanai while enjoying morning coffee or a tropical cocktail.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sands of Kahana 2 and 3 bedrooms are very nice, but the fees are going up a lot every year for anything managed by Soleil. I just saw that the 3 bedrooms at Sands of Kahana with property taxes are around $2,900 per week owned. I checked this on RW to find out for our kids, who are thinking of buying something on Maui, and they do love the 3 bedrooms at SOK. I can always get them an exchange with RCI. I can usually get the 3 bedroom for less than MF's.

The three bedrooms are large, certainly, but I would bet the 2 bedrooms are not much less than $2,900. The pool is decent. The restaurant onsite has good food. The views from some units are fantastic, but every-other-year with a 2 bedroom you aren't going to get oceanfront view. You will likely get a side ocean view or a peek of the ocean with some units every-other-year. Not sure about the 3 bedrooms, but our son's family had an oceanfront unit during their stay last year.

The one bedrooms are almost all island view, and some are parking structure view. I wouldn't take a one bedroom for any price.

What is happening with maintenance fees with Soleil Management is nuts with our Hono Koa. I have complained on TUG before and people have said that is what it takes for Maui. Well, if you saw the few amenities of Hono Koa, you might also question why Hono Koa 2 bedrooms are $2.949. Why is Westin Ka'anapali 2 bedrooms ocean view or oceanfront center only $3,189 for a unit that I can lock off into two sides and rent the studios for the cost of maintenance fees?

If I had any thought of buying Sands of Kahana, I would just put in an ongoing search for a 2 or 3 bedroom unit and cross my fingers, or I would grab inventory at Sands of Kahana through RCI Points right at 10 months. II and RCI both have a lot of inventory at Sands of Kahana, you just have to enter a search or watch at 10 months.

We did walk the grounds at Hilton's Bay Club on Maui. Beautiful resort and pools. There will be twelve buildings in all, and I am hoping it comes available for exchange at some point, but we won't be buying Hilton to stay there because there are too many inexpensive opportunities to buy at Westin where we already own.

Maui Lea is a great resort but is in Kihei and few units have much of an ocean view. We love it there, however, but I wouldn't buy. You can rent from an owner on tpmaui.com

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@rickandcindy23 you don't rent directly from owners through Trading Places Maui. Owners can give their units to TPM for a trade credit. Or they can give them to Aston to go into the rental pool. Or they can rent them themselves through vrbo.

StaceyM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Hanalei Bay Resort several years ago. The unit had been recently remodeled and the grounds, pool and view are stunning.

It was a bit of a walk downhill to the beach and I think some of the resort-type amenities (like a bar/restaurant) are permanently closed. It’s a mix of timeshare and condo owners.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I really enjoyed Hanalei Bay Resort several years ago. The unit had been recently remodeled and the grounds, pool and view are stunning.

It was a bit of a walk downhill to the beach and I think some of the resort-type amenities (like a bar/restaurant) are permanently closed. It’s a mix of timeshare and condo owners.
The restaurant has reopened and has a great happy hr

kaylasmom97

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Cliffs Club on Kauai. Smaller resort. Its very nice. The 2bedroom has a loft. It sits on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
View attachment 90273

Here is a view from our lanai at Lawai Beach resort last month. Ali building room 1301. The lanai was the reason I bought into Lawai Beach Resort in this particular building. It’s a popular surfing spot and fun to watch the surfers as well as whales from the lanai while enjoying morning coffee or a tropical cocktail.
My understanding is that Lawei Beach does not have air conditioning. Am I wrong here?

Carolgold1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacation Club (Wyndham)
i was looking at Sands of Kahana. For me I liked smaller locations that are very well maintained. I don’t need lots of on-site amenities.
Which Island?

SeeMe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacation Club
Global Exchange Vacation Club
The Imperial of Waikiki x2
Westin Kierland Villas x2
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
I own a 2 bedroom ocean view at the Westin Kaanapali (North) which is a great resort.
also own 2 weeks at the Imperial in Waikiki. The units are smaller but I own the Koa Unit a 1 bedroom and full kitchen. The units are a little smaller but the staff is great and the location is premiere. It is located at the foot of Lewers St. and just opposite the beach. You can pickup a unit from basically free to $2500-3000 if going through the resort itself. Thd Imoerial is an independent Timeshare and very well run. They work hard to keep the maintenance fees reasonable.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that Lawei Beach does not have air conditioning. Am I wrong here?

Lawai Beach does not have air conditioning. We have always gone in the winter months so that has not been a problem for us. And we both run hot.

There is good cross ventilation in most of the units, ceiling fans in the bedrooms as well as fans on stands that are stored in the closets to use. You can rent a window unit for the back bedroom from the resort for the Ali building only. I think the board is currently investigating all the costs concerning installing air.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

marciaheitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Kona Coast II is a very nice resort near Kona on the Big Island. Although a couple of years ago part of the resort was purchased by Wyndham, much of the resort is still owned by people like me that are unaffiliated owners. The units are very nice.

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui Beach Vacation Club is a smaller OK/Nice facility. Ocean view from most rooms is hard to beat and the beach in front is one of our favorites for walking.

One bedroom MF for this year $1025 + $240 PropTax. From the County Web Site, looks like $300 for next year. I've owned here for 25 years and have gotten some great trades and occupied more than half the years.

[DELETED]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladyskir

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn Carmel, Sheraton Desert Oasis, Aston Maui Hills, Ocean Landings Cocoa Beach
My sister & I have owned two weeks at Maui Hills for 10 years. Our father has owned two weeks for over 30 years. We love the large units & two large lanai's with our 2/B 2/B unit. Our HOA works very well with Mgmt to keep our annual MF's affordable yet continually doing necessary total property unit upgrades as needed. We've been lucky enough to have the same GM & a few of the same employees for all 30 of those years! One of the best beaches on the island is directly across the street at Keawakapu Beach. No need to pay higher MF's for a resort that maintains an onsite restaurant or bar when so many are within a mile or two either direction of the resort. We have a nice pool, hot tub, tennis courts, shuffle board & all supplies needed for the courts are available for check out. MF's are $1104 for our Ocean View top floor 2/2.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What about Maui Schooner?

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
My sister & I have owned two weeks at Maui Hills for 10 years. Our father has owned two weeks for over 30 years. We love the large units & two large lanai's with our 2/B 2/B unit. Our HOA works very well with Mgmt to keep our annual MF's affordable yet continually doing necessary total property unit upgrades as needed. We've been lucky enough to have the same GM & a few of the same employees for all 30 of those years! One of the best beaches on the island is directly across the street at Keawakapu Beach. No need to pay higher MF's for a resort that maintains an onsite restaurant or bar when so many are within a mile or two either direction of the resort. We have a nice pool, hot tub, tennis courts, shuffle board & all supplies needed for the courts are available for check out. MF's are $1104 for our Ocean View top floor 2/2.

That’s a resort I’ve been interested in so that’s good to hear. We’ve always stayed at and loved the Maui Sunset-well maintained, small and great views, though I have no idea what MFs are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk