• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Westin in Maui?

Bill4728

Reaction score
My DD is getting married (YES!!) and planning on honeymooning in Aug in Maui. We have the ability to trade our Marriott TS and maybe get a TS at either the Marriott or Westin in Maui, BUT in order to make sure she'll have a room, we are reserving a room at one of the Westins in Maui.

Which should we reserve?

A king bed room at the Westin hotel or a studio at the Westin TS? We'll be using point plus cash and they both would cost us exactly the same amount.

Which would you choose?

PS We have no elite status

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
My DD is getting married (YES!!) and planning on honeymooning in Aug in Maui. We have the ability to trade our Marriott TS and maybe get a TS at either the Marriott or Westin in Maui, BUT in order to make sure she'll have a room, we are reserving a room at one of the Westins in Maui.

Which should we reserve?

A king bed room at the Westin hotel or a studio at the Westin TS? We'll be using point plus cash and they both would cost us exactly the same amount.

Which would you choose?

PS We have no elite status

If it were my honeymoon and I had no interest in cooking anything in the unit, my preference would be the Westin Hotel. The location is the best among the three Starwood properties if they're after nightlife and they have the best pool. I wouldn't rule out the Sheraton - I actually prefer the location because some of the best snorkeling on the island is right in front of the hotel. Their rooms are bigger than the Westin, but a little older, but still tastefully decorated and comfortable. Also, you have a much better chance of landing an ocean view room at the Sheraton since most of their rooms face that way. If you can get a one-bed unit on trade, though, at the Villas, I would jump at that. My wife and I just wrapped up our first stay there and it was the overall best lodging experience of any place I've stayed (lots of extra room). I just wouldn't be as excited about a studio unit there because you're not getting that much extra space and you're removed from all the action just up the highway.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Note that though you can't select which Villa (North or South) online via spg.com, when you call you may make that selection.

We went to the Sheraton for dinner last year and were really disappointed with the options available, so we went elsewhere (this even though WKORV had given us a 25% discount coupon). I like the location (Black Rock is great, and you can get there from any of the Westin's...) but I wouldn't stay at the Sheraton. Of course, room service may be better... :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you are going to get her a standard room at the hotel, I'd go for the TS instead - the standard hotel rooms are quite small and have no view.

I don't know if things have changed with the economy, but during early Aug. on Maui it used to be packed at the hotels! We used to joke that you could walk from the lobby to the ocean by stepping on lounge chairs and never touch the ground. We don't enjoy the "packed in like sardines" experience.

Whether they are going to cook or not, I bet they would enjoy being able to have cold drinks and snacks in their room. IMNSHO, it gets old having to go out for every single meal and snack. Couple differences about the 2 resorts. The studios at WKORV-N have lanais and the studios at WKORV don't. I think WKORV has more good ocean view units, but it also has the dreaded highway view - which WKORV-N doesn't. Here is a link to the floor plans:

WKORV

WKORVN

As far as snorkeling - I think the snorkeling in front of the TS is the best in the area. The last time we snorkeled in front of the Sheraton it was a mad-house and I think Black Rock is getting too much traffic and isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I think the Sheraton Black Rock is the most romantic and the best location on Ka'anapali. It's connected to the walking path but on one of the ends. And Black Rock is amazing.

Check Costco.com and Pleasant Holidays for packages, which include breakfast and car rental. Getting breakfast included will save lots of $$.

Of course, you'll save even more money with a villa because the studios have kitchenettes, which include a stovetop, microwave, fridge (and oven on the south side). We usually eat/pack breakfast and lunch on our own and then dinner out.

In terms of interior space, the villas are very nice. I prefer the look of the south over the look of the north, but they're both very nice. However, in August it'll be teeming with children. The north side will be much quieter. If you request the north side, you'll also get a nice view from your room. As Denise mentioned, if you opt for the south side, you risk being assigned to the dreaded highway/parking lot view.

Also note that the Hawaii Starwoods may require you to pay $$ upfront and have a steep cancellation policy.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
For newlyweds in a studio I would say the North property is significantly better because the studios have a lanai. In the south property the studios only have a sliding glass door and you can't step out. Also, there's no chance of getting assigned a parking lot view at the North property.

Whether to stay at the hotel or the villas has a large component of personal preference. I know my wife and I would want the villa without question. It has MUCH more room than a hotel room, we don't really want to go down to breakfast somewhere every day, and we prefer the quiet of the resort to the huge crowds everywhere near Whaler's Village. Depending on how long they are staying having a washer and drier is also extremely convenient. However I can see other people really like the hustle and bustle and get bored if its to quiet. Thus take that into account. The room at the Villas is nicer. The snorkeling in front of the units is very nice, no Black Rock envy there!

I think the villas are more comfortable and romantic than a hotel room or lobby for a honeymoon. The gorunds of the villas are pretty at night and nice for strolling on the beach.

My second choice would be the Sheraton, not the Westin, mainly because of the crowds and because of the location at Black Rock.

Whatever you do, they'll be in Maui so it will be great either way.

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Hotel over a studio, love the location next to whaler village, a 1 bedroom at the villas for sure over the hotel, just hard to beat a real nice room with Kitchen!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Westin Studio has a small kitchen with everything except an oven.

It has a huge bathroom and is a lot larger than the standard hotel room at the Westin.

Last edited:

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Westin Studio has a small kitchen with everything except an oven.

It has a huge bathroom and is a lot larger than the standard hotel room at the Westin.

I know, I just like the hotel location so much that a studio does not quite convince me, but a 1 bedroom does. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know, I just like the hotel location so much that a studio does not quite convince me, but a 1 bedroom does. :)

That's funny - vationing preferences are so individual and personal - my DH and I can't stand the location of the Westin Hotel or the crowds! Actually, Maui in general, is too crowded for us.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
That's funny - vationing preferences are so individual and personal - my DH and I can't stand the location of the Westin Hotel or the crowds! Actually, Maui in general, is too crowded for us.
Maui is nice but I agree too crowded for us. BUT DD want to go there for her honeymoon so I'm giving her what she wants.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui is nice but I agree too crowded for us. BUT DD want to go there for her honeymoon so I'm giving her what she wants.

Exactly - and they may enjoy all the people and activity in the heart of Ka'anapali! Hope they have a wonderful time!

Question - are you comparing the standard hotel room, to the TS studio? I think they would be very disappointed with the standard room and it will not have an ocean view.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Since you're using points, you might want to call SPG and ask them what other types of rooms are available for upgrades. Typically you can upgrade to a better view/floor or junior suite for a reasonable amount. However, I'm not sure they offer this with points+cash.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from a week's stay in a 2 bedroom at WKORV-N and have also stayed at WKORV. I would definitely recommend the studio at either property. As stated by others it is spacious with a large bathroom. The kitchen would be nice to have cold drinks, fresh fruit, etc, available in the room.

I personally think this location is perfect for honeymooners. It's quiet (for Maui), but the shuttle makes it easy to get to Whaler's Village or Lahaina. You can enjoy the restaurants & shopping at Whaler's Village with a quick shuttle ride. Route One makes a continual run between the villas, Sheraton Hotel & Westin Hotel, so it's never a long wait. The shuttle into Lahaina runs once per hour.

I have stayed at the Westin Hotel and have friends who love the Sheraton, but for a honeymoon I'd book WKORV!!

Bill4728

Reaction score
Can you walk to Whalers village from the TS?

This is something they want to be able to do. If they had to shuttle that might be a deal breaker for them.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is something they want to be able to do. If they had to shuttle that might be a deal breaker for them.

We did it one night last week, but it's a pretty long walk. You're walking along the beach until you hit what I believe is the Royal Lahaina Resort. At that point, you're working your way among various buildings for five or ten minutes until you're directed back to a path between the beach and a golf course. Then you walk through the Sheraton and you're back on the beach path to Whaler's village. I want to say the walk took about 30 minutes or so. It's definitely do-able, but I'm not sure it was so compelling that I'd do it again. We took the shuttle back after walking over.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The shuttle is free and runs continuously about every 20 minutes. It is very convenient.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

We've done this several times. It's a great walk and they can always take the shuttle back. In Sept we walked from WKORV all the way to the south point of the path (I think that was by the Hyatt, right?), and then back again - with lunch at the Westin en route.

But, they're going to have a car, right? It's only a 3 minute drive to Whaler's Village from WKORV.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally would choose the Westin Hotel for newlyweds. Timeshares in general have a more "family" feel to them vs the more intimate feel of a luxury hotel.

I also agree that the Sheraton is nice and to me has a very romantic feel to it. It should definitely be at least considered as well. The beach at there is awesome, but does seem to have a few locals lingering. The water has plenty to see, like turtles, but can become murky next to Black Rock due to the currents and waves pounding the rocks.

I would suggest they stay at the Westin Hotel and visit the Sheraton a time or two.

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a very long walk, but the shuttle is really great, and easily negates that as a problem, I agree with the previous posters, If you like whalers vilage, choose the hotel, if you want quiet, the villas.

If I ever stayed in Maui without a car, It would definitely be at a Westin. Our friend stayed 4 weeks last May, 1 at Marriott, and 3 at Westin, he did not have a car, the westin was invaluable to him.

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Do they like daily maid service? I don't like to think about housekeeping coming in every day, so I prefer the timeshares to hotel rooms every time. I like leaving things out and truly moving in. I would get a studio at North with the lanai. The only thing that would sway me away would be if they can't stand children at all. Two friends of ours on their anniversary trip to Maui stayed at North and asked to be moved because their villa overlooked the Pirate Pool and they got very tired of hearing crying and screaming kids all day long.

If I was going to stay in a hotel, I would opt for the Sheraton Black Rock over the Westin Hotel. We stayed at the Sheraton on our 1st anniversary and had a very nice room with a nice view. The rooms seemed bigger than the small hotel rooms at the Westin.

You can't go wrong on Maui :cheer: .

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

We are staying at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas right now. We take the shuttle to the Whaler's Village or to Lahaina quite often. It is very convenient. You will use that shuttle no matter which of the three properties you stay at.

We love the villas because even in a studio you have a refrigerator, microwave, dish washer and washer/dryer and a jacuzzi tub. It is more private for honeymooners. The place is beautiful. It feels like having your own residence as opposed to just a hotel room.

I would choose the villas in a heartbeat. Oh, wait, I did!:)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm glad to see that people use the shuttle. Each time I've seen it, it's been relatively empty, though perhaps that's not at the busy times... I've only taken the shuttle once, when I went to the Sheraton for eight hours and didn't want to pay for parking (yes, the Sheraton charges for parking, another topic...). I find that driving into Lahaina is much easier and flexible than waiting for a shuttle once an hour, and Whaler's Village parking is free (as long as you buy something). I prefer to set my own schedule when traveling so try to avoid shuttles unless necessary.

While the shuttle is a necessary amenity for visitors who don't have cars, I'd be surprised if more than a few use it regularly, especially considering the vast majority have a car.

And, I really don't think the shuttle is, or should be, the deciding factor in determining where to stay for this honeymoon.

Just my $0.02.