• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ex-Timeshare Sales rep- Will Answer any ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When the day is over, do the salesmen hang out and laugh about the people they conned? Do you sense they were comfortable with their job, slept well at night, and would also sell to their parents?

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question. From my perch watching the timeshares salesmen on the outside, and you being on the inside, what percentage aren't aware of what they're doing/harm they're causing? I imagine a few agents must be naive in the beginning, but what was your experience with salespeople selling something that was clearly not as valuable as they proposed it to be? Were there discussions on that topic? How did you and others deal with that?

In college, I sold vacuums, and after about week 3, it became painfully obvious that the people we were supposed to sell them to we're the ones who couldn't afford it. They were willing to pay too dollar as long as we could provide financing - at rates around 20%. I was about 19 at the time and quite naive. As soon as I realized what the deal was, I checked out. I could not have, in good conscience, continue to sell a product that was so blatantly wrong.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Imho nothing about his posts are real and i am withdrawing any comment

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
IMHO he has moved on to the Travel Club Membership Sales and is just looking to convert TimeShare owners into Travel Club Owners

interesting

would be funny and ironic considering "clubs" are rental brokers

they did say "sell" instead of "rent" which i assumed was a typo, but maybe not

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Raintree Vacation club im not familiar with. And you saying it expires in 2046...Im guessing then you didn't purchase a deeded timeshare? Because if it was deeded, then it would never expire, and your children would inherit it, and your grandchildren, etc.(assuming they keep up with the maint. fee).

This is false. If you knew a great deal about deeded timeshares you would know that many of them do indeed have an expiration date. That is fairly basic deeded timeshare knowledge. The fact is that when it comes to the collective knowledge on TUG, you have a great deal to learn. Selling timeshares simply does not give you an adequate broad range of knowledge. It's a very narrow perspective.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Seems like he has more questions than answers . . .
So, to get to why I started this post. Because I know so much about the industry, I thought that I may be of some help to this community. I will answer any questions you might have, with maybe the exception of a few(like what companies I worked at for example).

Tell me how you can get through a timeshare tour in less then 15minutes and still get your gift(s)?

And the answer is. . . .?

@slip
Another reason for my loss of interest in selling was that people were starting to become privy to ebay and the endless amount of $1 timeshares for sale.
Of course, like every other excuse that I would hear, I had a rebuttal for it as well.
And the rebuttal is....?

So far all we have heard is his "story" and that he pulled some research off the internet. So this is why people are skeptical.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Tell me how you can get through a timeshare tour in less then 15minutes and still get your gift(s)?

Done it a couple of times with the "owners' updates" with Wyndham. "Husband is still in bed . . . feel free to 'update' me."

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Like I said, some people will think I have some agenda. If you don't think I have anything to contribute and you already know everything then that's fine. But then again why did you feel the need to reply to this thread?

I didn't say that. I encouraged you to go "contribute" your knowledge where folks could possibly use it . . . in the Newbies Forum.

By definition, people do not know what they do not know so how can the uninformed ask you an intelligent question?

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He's says he got into it way back in "2009". 2009? Most of us probably forgot more than this guy knows if he's only been doing this for a few years so not sure how much wisdom he can offer to us TUGGERS who have been doing this for 10+ years or even the last 5 if they've been plugged into TUG as many of us have.

And he doesn't sound like he was connected at the top so I'd be surprised if he offered us anything revealing that we didn't already know.

Great point . . . I've owned and been involved in timeshare vacations for more than 30 years! I remember when RCI actually gave BACK your spacebank if someone did not book an exchange for it within some narrow window of time (maybe 2-4 wks before the booked date?). I actually got my Split Rock deposit back and took advantage of a long weekend for free, and still got the benefit of the spacebanked exchange.

Many around TSing these days have no idea that little perk once existed. I think it may have been the first that RCI took away from owners.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@slip

Another reason for my loss of interest in selling was that people were starting to become privy to ebay and the endless amount of $1 timeshares for sale.
Of course, like every other excuse that I would hear, I had a rebuttal for it as well.
This to me is another telling comment. The dishonesty wasn't enough, but it was the increasing intelligence of the buyer that was the last straw.

What was your rebuttal when presented with evidence that you were selling the same exact $1 TS for $15,000? Either you may life miserable for that person because you worked for a really low life firm or you cut them loose immediately because you knew you were dead in the water.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is false. If you knew a great deal about deeded timeshares you would know that many of them do indeed have an expiration date. That is fairly basic deeded timeshare knowledge. The fact is that when it comes to the collective knowledge on TUG, you have a great deal to learn. Selling timeshares simply does not give you an adequate broad range of knowledge. It's a very narrow perspective.

My LTIH is deeded with an expiration date as an example. When I bought, it was very attractive to have that expiration date as it was around the time I expect to be six feet under.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, I got to use that benefit a couple of times.

Great point . . . I've owned and been involved in timeshare vacations for more than 30 years! I remember when RCI actually gave BACK your spacebank if someone did not book an exchange for it within some narrow window of time (maybe 2-4 wks before the booked date?). I actually got my Split Rock deposit back and took advantage of a long weekend for free, and still got the benefit of the spacebanked exchange.

Many around TSing these days have no idea that little perk once existed. I think it may have been the first that RCI took away from owners.

I missed that benefit when they took it away. It made that blue week more valuable.

I decided to look at this thread to see if anything valuable was going to be shared.

Nothing new. But I did get to reminisce. :D

jeffwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluewater, Southwind, Cottages, Coral Sands, Players Club, Branson, Grandview, Silver Lake, and about 950K RCI points.
Soooooo-- bbminded---sleep well ? Did we lose you ?

Question--- You sell a timeshare for $18k and it goes thru---- how much do you make ? How soon do you get paid ?

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wild guess OP was burnout Wyndham salesperson in his late 20ish:cool:...

He did seem to have some info on their Discovery package as posted on another thread.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wait, i thought deeded does not expire and RTU does expire. Or at least deeded only expires insofar as the entire timeshare property may cease operating as a timeshare as of a certain date, upon which the owners must vote to extend the timeshare agreement. But even then, the ownership rights to the property wouldnt expire.

Under what circumstances does a deeded timeshare expire then?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
No ill will towards the OP but I doubt he can teach the vast majority of us TUGGERS anything "new" IMHO.

He's says he got into it way back in "2009". 2009? Most of us probably forgot more than this guy knows if he's only been doing this for a few years so not sure how much wisdom he can offer to us TUGGERS who have been doing this for 10+ years or even the last 5 if they've been plugged into TUG as many of us have.

And he doesn't sound like he was connected at the top so I'd be surprised if he offered us anything revealing that we didn't already know.

When he started does not necessarily signify his inability to contribute significant knowledge. When did ronparise get into the game? Plus, whenever someone starts, they are likely being trained with the most recent knowledge and sales tricks.

bbminded

Reaction score
You need to reread my original post. I was in the industry well before 2009.

No ill will towards the OP but I doubt he can teach the vast majority of us TUGGERS anything "new" IMHO.

bbminded

Reaction score
The "reptilian" brain i was referring to is the "flight or flight" mechanism that is built into most everyone. I understand your indifference regarding nirHEG and NLP. I myself used it almost everyday, and witnessed first hand the results. Especially with NLP, it becomes part of the subcon. mind.

Thanks for the book recommendations!

But, I believe nirHEG and NLP are a bunch of hogwash. And the human brain definitely does not have a "reptilian side" -- both sides of the brain are quite symmetrical.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The "reptilian" brain i was referring to is the "flight or flight" mechanism that is built into most everyone. I understand your indifference regarding nirHEG and NLP. I myself used it almost everyday, and witnessed first hand the results. Especially with NLP, it becomes part of the subcon. mind.

So this is the response (arguing over psychology) after all the prior posts about lack of providing any insider info? :confused:

bbminded

Reaction score
Good question,

The best way i can answer that is that most of the managers at one point were sales reps. The manipulation techniques you have listed are pretty common and have been used for a while.
As long as the sale is made, the rep is most likely to get a high five from their manager. Everyone once in a while they will have to make an example out of someone, but its just usually a couple days off from work.

I have a question

Ive had salesmen avoid the truth. like when they discuss the cost of owning a timeshare vs renting a hotel they only present the cost to buy the timeshare, not the ongoing maintenance fees, and Ive seen them stretch the truth like when I was told you can exchange your week to vacation at any resort in RCI books at any time. or if you cant use your week you can always rent it..."the going rate is $300 a night" ((for a mud week at a ski resort). And Ive seen them tell outright lies like; a retail buyer can always "bump" a resale buyer, and you may not know until you try to check in that there is no room for you.

I also know of two cases where a customer was told that what they were signing would simply reduce their interest rate, when what it actually did is sell them more product.

So my question is:

Are these techniques the creations of individual salesmen (call them bad apples) or are these techniques accepted, and encouraged by upper management?

bbminded

Reaction score
Hi Cowboys Fan,

Thats kind of a tricky question, because the sales tactic is one where people are tricked into a purchase. but ill try to explain to my best ability......

First, there are believe it or not, some companies that dont change their prices of their packages. What they will try to do is convince you to buy a lower priced package and maybe say something like "this will give you chance to atleast get your foot in the door and try it, and what well do is freeze all of today's prices for a year so you can come back and buy more, and not pay the inflated future prices".

Its even trickier with the companies that do actually negotiate prices much like a car dealership. I cant give you an exact example, as every company is different. You just have to be careful that if they do give you a reduced price your happy with that they didnt infact sell you a cheaper package then what you originally thought you were buying. Esp. point packages.

I have never given anyone any gifts. That's generally taken care of by the gifting dept. or marketing.

Welcome!

I have two questions

First, how LOW would your bosses, etc accept for a new timeshare?
For instance, let's say you started at $25,000, and showed them every 'discount'----and were down to $18,000.
What might be the absolute lowest for this example----say $10,000??? $5,000?

Next question----what was the best gift you ever gave anyone for attending
a) who bought
b) who did NOT buy

Thanks,
Pat

bbminded

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But why take the time to make a post in this thread? Sounds like you have some pent up anger. Maybe you got sold by some... how you say..."developer sales weasel" and have and still do regret it. But your probably right in that you will have nothing to learn by following this thread since you already know everything!

I don't claim to know (...or care) if you have an agenda. I would merely note that among the many folks who actively participate in this TUG site, there is a collective several centuries worth of direct, first hand knowledge and experience with virtually all aspects of the industry. With no personal offense intended, your own brief foray into the timeshare world as a developer sales weasel frankly pales by comparison. :shrug:

I for one certainly have no questions for you --- I have never been (..and will never knowingly be) within 500 yards of any developer sales "presentation", regardless of whatever trinkets, coupons, baubles or other near-worthless "gifts" might be offered in exchange for my valuable and irreplaceable time...

Status
Not open for further replies.