• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Developer Purchase vs Auth Reseller

Bmoe

Reaction score
Hi,

Was under the impression that pro of reseller purchase was property is paid in full. I'm seeing some timeshare sites and ebay listings where need to pay thousands of dollars. Was going to purchase second property but now looks like I might just upgrade through hgvc.

I'm obviously missing something. Why do people love resale so much?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not clear about the "need to pay thousands of dollars." Beyond the closing fees (like $200) and transfer fees ($609), what other fees are you seeing? if the property is not actually paid, i.e. there's a loan, I guess it could be resold and new owner assume the loan (bad idea), but I have yet to see a listing like that on ebay. Can you provide an example?

If you upgrade through HGVC, you will pay more than you could get the same property for resale. That's why we love it.

Cheers.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Resale is at least 30% of developer pricing.

Are you looking at Sell My Timeshare Now? That site is loaded with unrealistic resale prices that will never sell. Sites like SMTN are advertising listing companies that collect an upfront fee which is all they care about. These companies want owners to think their timeshare is worth thousands of dollars so that they don’t question paying $1000 to $2000 upfront to list their timeshare ad on their site. Once paid, they got their money so they don’t care if your ad sits for 10 years with no offers.

Please share Resort and resale pricing you are looking at.

Bmoe

Reaction score
Resale is at least 30% of developer pricing.

Are you looking at Sell My Timeshare Now? That site is loaded with unrealistic resale prices that will never sell. Sites like SMTN are advertising listing companies that collect an upfront fee which is all they care about. These companies want owners to think their timeshare is worth thousands of dollars so that they don’t question paying $1000 to $2000 upfront to list their timeshare ad on their site. Once paid, they got their money so they don’t care if your ad sits for 10 years with no offers.

Please share Resort and resale pricing you are looking at.
Sell My Timeshare Now is exactly what I'm looking at. Was under the impression I could find a resale that was paid off and just pay MF. There are some ebay listings though that look like they are being sold be realtors/resale companies and are charging up front fees similar to SMTN. Would love to find resale that is paid off.

Bmoe

Reaction score
I'm not clear about the "need to pay thousands of dollars." Beyond the closing fees (like $200) and transfer fees ($609), what other fees are you seeing? if the property is not actually paid, i.e. there's a loan, I guess it could be resold and new owner assume the loan (bad idea), but I have yet to see a listing like that on ebay. Can you provide an example?

If you upgrade through HGVC, you will pay more than you could get the same property for resale. That's why we love it.

Cheers.
Just listings on sites like Sell My Timeshare Now that are charging up front prices for the property in addition to fees. Some eBay listings are the same.

One benefit I see to purchasing direct (and I might just have had a one off experience) but the HGVC works to get you financing as well. If I'm buying resale where the listing is charging upfront price I'd have to get financing myself right?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Hi,

Was under the impression that pro of reseller purchase was property is paid in full. I'm seeing some timeshare sites and ebay listings where need to pay thousands of dollars. Was going to purchase second property but now looks like I might just upgrade through hgvc.

I'm obviously missing something. Why do people love resale so much?

Many of those sellers are asking you to pay the current year MF’s. You can avoid those and look for intervals that aren’t asking for those fees.

I’ll give my purchase as an example. I paid $4500 for my platinum 2 bedroom Flamingo and after fees, the total was $6300 (including HGVC enrollment and transfer fees totaling $1000). If I were to buy a similar unit from the developer, it would run over $40000. Almost a 90% discount.

Take your time and find the right deal. Negotiate if you can. The deals are out there, you just may have to look and work for them. Doing timesharing right takes planning and time, even if you buy from a developer. Buying resale will save you money, but ultimately you have to feel comfortable with your purchase.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just listings on sites like Sell My Timeshare Now that are charging up front prices for the property in addition to fees. Some eBay listings are the same.

One benefit I see to purchasing direct (and I might just have had a one off experience) but the HGVC works to get you financing as well. If I'm buying resale where the listing is charging upfront price I'd have to get financing myself right?

What are trying to buy? Taking a loan on a timeshare is a bad idea, IMHO. There’s a reason why it’s usually only developers that offer financing, and that’s at ridiculous rates!

Try redweek.com or our own TUG marketplace. Much better deals there.

Bmoe

Reaction score
What are trying to buy? Taking a loan on a timeshare is a bad idea, IMHO. There’s a reason why it’s usually only developers that offer financing, and that’s at ridiculous rates!

Try redweek.com or our own TUG marketplace. Much better deals there.

Yeah that's probably one of the reasons why folks don't buy direct cause we don't have the cash upfront. Honestly I wouldn't be able to pay more than $2k upfront (fees and any listing price seller asks for). Speaking of which does HGVC let you pay the MFs on a monthly payment or does it have to be lump sum due on due date?

EDIT: Sorry didnt answer your question. Trying to buy timeshare with low mf to point ratio but still high amount of points. I looked and I appear to need a minimum of 10k points for traveling 3 bedroom in platinum and 2 bedrooms twice in gold season.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Yeah that's probably one of the reasons why folks don't buy direct cause we don't have the cash upfront. Honestly I wouldn't be able to pay more than $2k upfront (fees and any listing price seller asks for). Speaking of which does HGVC let you pay the MFs on a monthly payment or does it have to be lump sum due on due date?

EDIT: Sorry didnt answer your question. Trying to buy timeshare with low mf to point ratio but still high amount of points. I looked and I appear to need a minimum of 10k points for traveling 3 bedroom in platinum and 2 bedrooms twice in gold season.

Your expectations are unrealistic for a HGV timeshare, there is an upfront cost to get what you want, and its going to be much more than $2k. You need to lower expectations and look at a system like Wyndham, those are given away here and on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bmoe

Reaction score
Your expectations are unrealistic for a HGV timeshare, there is an upfront cost to get what you want, and its going to be much more than $2k. You need to lower expectations and look at a system like Wyndham, those are given away here and on eBay.

Unfortunately my family is hilton or nothing. Had bad experiences with Wyndham. Tried to push Marriott a few times but no dice.

How many points can I expect to get for $2k upfront cost?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately my family is hilton or nothing. Had bad experiences with Wyndham. Tried to push Marriott a few times but no dice.

Not a lot, but sometimes Bay Club units come up for free (or very cheap on eBay). They have high MF’s, but would get you in the system with 7000 points pretty cheaply. Remember, you can borrow from next years points for free if you need a 3 bedroom.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points

There is no free lunch in life or in timesharing. You will not be able to buy a worthy HGVC for $2000 and financing them is a very bad idea because you, or your loved ones or estate cannot easily get out from under them until financing is fully paid off.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you're patient, you should be able to get a 5,000 gold week for "free", but have to pay the closing costs, and the activation fees, etc. which would probably run $1,500 or thereabouts? Granted, the MF will be a tad high (IMO). I've seen a lot of 5000 gold (annual) at Seaworld for $1 or "free" with closing, but the MF with the $170 or whatever club dues will probably be around $1,200 then (so about $0.25/point for the MF).

Now, if your 2K doesn't include the closing costs, activation fees, etc. then I'd say you're at an even better chance.

Now, whether it passes ROFR is a diff. story. But if "given" away, LT Transfers (or anyone else knowledgeable) will know there's a "gift" form that Hilton has that'll bypass ROFR basically.

I doubt any of the resellers would have the $1 or $0 ones (they need to get a comission), but you never know.

Patience will pay off.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If you're patient, you should be able to get a 5,000 gold week for "free", but have to pay the closing costs, and the activation fees, etc. which would probably run $1,500 or thereabouts? Granted, the MF will be a tad high (IMO). I've seen a lot of 5000 gold (annual) at Seaworld for $1 or "free" with closing, but the MF with the $170 or whatever club dues will probably be around $1,200 then (so about $0.25/point for the MF).

Now, if your 2K doesn't include the closing costs, activation fees, etc. then I'd say you're at an even better chance.

Now, whether it passes ROFR is a diff. story. But if "given" away, LT Transfers (or anyone else knowledgeable) will know there's a "gift" form that Hilton has that'll bypass ROFR basically.

I doubt any of the resellers would have the $1 or $0 ones (they need to get a comission), but you never know.

Patience will pay off.

5,000 points is not going to work, he wants 2 stays a year, a 3br platinum season and a 2 br gold season.

Champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Reactions: RX8

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Sell My Timeshare Now is exactly what I'm looking at. Was under the impression I could find a resale that was paid off and just pay MF. There are some ebay listings though that look like they are being sold be realtors/resale companies and are charging up front fees similar to SMTN. Would love to find resale that is paid off.

As others have said, your expectations are way too high. If you want to just take over a paid off HGVC for free most of what you will find is 3500 points or less. What you are seeing on eBay as “upfront” fees is actually the value of that HGVC. The more points you want the more you are going to pay.

If you want 7000 points or more expect to pay about $1 a point or at least $7000 plus closing fees. You might find it a little cheaper (one poster mentions the affiliate Bay Club) but you will never find it free.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
5,000 points is not going to work, he wants 2 stays a year, a 3br platinum season and a 2 br gold season.

Champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Yeah, not going to happen. Even my "fluke" 7000 flamingo listing was $2500 and another $1500 in closing costs/fees, so $4k total. And that was a fluke.

Reactions: RX8

Anw015

Reaction score
It may be worth watching Judi Kozlowski listings. I agree with most above I don’t you will get anywhere close to what you need at that price point but she has a large selection as well as can give you ideas of some other options like maybe a EOY contract. Just be mindful of ROFR if you pay low and MF are low and Hilton has the money they will buy it back. Just how it goes.

www.judikoz.com

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I paid -0- for a 5K affiliate... It was listed on the free-giveaways forum.
But I did pay closing costs (~$150) and the fee to add it to HGVC (~$400).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Maybe you should just rent.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be worth watching Judi Kozlowski listings. I agree with most above I don’t you will get anywhere close to what you need at that price point but she has a large selection as well as can give you ideas of some other options like maybe a EOY contract. Just be mindful of ROFR if you pay low and MF are low and Hilton has the money they will buy it back. Just how it goes.

www.judikoz.com

Good suggestion. It may be a little more than your limit, but places like Flamingo can be had for maybe $.50 per point with a little negotiation. Not a bad deal. Also, no ROFR.

Cheers.