• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] The Dawn Beach Resort and Spa [moved]

dice934

Reaction score
siesta - nice post to jtf. As you saw from the 1st post in this thread by jtf which apparently was just a brag on what a great deal he got at DBC (and looked like some strawman sales ploy...).

We were direct and honest, and told him his info was incorrect - that it was not in SVN, not part of SVO, and there was no other Westin TS club. We were not rude, and merely trying to set him straight. I even attempted to clarify to jtf what he owned (after a few minutes of research). All he did was deny that we knew anything about what he bought (and was quite rude about it), and that he only gets bargain deals as he is a TS expert (since 1993 - wow! impressive).

If getting real information in a direct manner, and going against his pre-conceived notions is attacking - then we are guilty. But clearly, if you read his very 1st TUG post where he bragged about how he manage to scam $$ from Mayan Palace TS fronts while on vacation in Mexico (who in their right mind spends their vacation - trying to dink money from these TS fronts?) - essentially showing the content of his true character.

Then when asked directly about what he paid for the great deal he got for DBC - he somehow managed to work in his property at Mayan Palace where he paid $7000 for a TS that is essentially worthless eventhough the current 'retail' price is $50000 (right... some incredible bargain hunter he is...) - and nothing about Mayan Palace had anything to do with the DBC purchase. When he really (supposedly) traded in was a HVC (of unknown value) to help pay for his 'bargain' at DBC and still never came close to revealing what he actually paid - other than some fuzzy description - and then had to add details about the DBC villa which has nothing to do with the question on what he paid (which was apparently some fraction of the cost of a summer week).

then... silence (big surprise).

So... I am calling BS on his whole story. He is either delusional, a troll, a remote straw salesman, or seriously misguided individual. But, bottom-line, we tried to help (as always) and were not rude - just honest and forth-coming. The agitation meter turned-up when his BS began as apparently something underneath the surface was going on with his 'story'.
IMO

I Purchased a unit at the DBC this Feb and in no way did the sales rep ever try to mislead me into believing that it was part of the Starwood Vacation Network, if fact they told me that if it was it would have to sell for a lot more.

I purchased one week every second year for $11000 cash. I also got a free week in the timeshare this year and a free week stay in the Hotel that I can use anytime in the next 3 years. I also had a resort credit of $200. The fees that the poster mention for maintenance is correct, as mine is $510 a year. I have the option of bring one year forward every year from the end of the 99 year timeshare. As long as I pay the maintenance fee. This is the best deal if you think about it....on the year that I have a week I bring one forward and for two week, i have paid only $1020. On the year that I do not have a week I can bring a week forward and it costs me $1020 for that year for one week.

If I had bought one week every year it would cost me $1020 a year for maintenance and I did not have the same option of bring a year forward. So over a 3 year period I pay $2040 for 3 weeks. Were as if I had purchased one week each year I would have paid $2040. The year you bring forward is from the back end. The contract also has a maximum amount that the fees can increase in a year to 7% as well as only 15% over the next 10 years that I had written in. So this will protect me as to costs.

The units are fantastic as they sit now....3 bedrooms each with King Beds and large LCD TV in each room,and marble floors. 2 baths, laundry in suite. The Westin provides room cleaning and linens etc daily as well as room service..etc.

They give you a 3 year free membership into II as well.

I just thought that an honest response would be appreciated. I know that I bought at the DBC and not at WBC.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I have the option of bring one year forward every year from the end of the 99 year timeshare. As long as I pay the maintenance fee. This is the best deal if you think about it....on the year that I have a week I bring one forward and for two week, i have paid only $1020. On the year that I do not have a week I can bring a week forward and it costs me $1020 for that year for one week.

If I had bought one week every year it would cost me $1020 a year for maintenance and I did not have the same option of bring a year forward. So over a 3 year period I pay $2040 for 3 weeks. Were as if I had purchased one week each year I would have paid $2040. The year you bring forward is from the back end.

I think you are misunderstanding what the "bring it forward" option is.

First of all, this perk HAS to subject to availability because otherwise an EOY owner would squeeze an annual owner out of his rightful week. There are only x number of units, after all. Now there may be plenty of excess inventory to exercise such a perk when the resort is in the early sales phase, but the more owners there are, the less likely that there will be inventory available for an EOY owner to pull 2 weeks off, especially consecutive weeks during prime season.

I have the option of bring one year forward every year from the end of the 99 year timeshare. As long as I pay the maintenance fee. This is the best deal if you think about it....on the year that I have a week I bring one forward and for two week, i have paid only $1020.

No, you will be paying the same right as an annual owner. Let me put it in a real-life example in order to illustrate.

Let's say you're an odd year owner, and your first official use year is 2015. In 2013 and 2014, you will be billed $510/year. So by the time you use your week in 2015, you'll have paid $1020. That's the same rate an annual owner pays for his week.

Now, if you want to bring a week forward, you'll need to pay the MFs on that week. The MFs are $1020. So for two weeks in 2015, you'll have paid $510 + $510 + $1020 = $2040.

If you want to "bring forward a week" in 2016, you'll pay $1020 for that week... plus you'll owe $510 toward your 2017 week. And, of course, your bonus week is subject to availability.

So EOY owners aren't coming out ahead. They are paying the same rate as an annual owner. And they may only be able to secure a "bring it forward" week during low season, where $1020/week may not be the bargain that it is during prime season. (I also suspect that annual week owners are given the option to buy a "bonus week" for the cost of MFs. Why not? It's a great way to get rid of excess inventory.)

Besides, think about it. Why would they model a program to discourage people from buying every year?

Last edited:

dice934

Reaction score
I think you are misunderstanding what the "bring it forward" option is.

First of all, this perk HAS to subject to availability because otherwise an EOY owner would squeeze an annual owner out of his rightful week. There are only x number of units, after all. Now there may be plenty of excess inventory to exercise such a perk when the resort is in the early sales phase, but the more owners there are, the less likely that there will be inventory available for an EOY owner to pull 2 weeks off, especially consecutive weeks during prime season.

No, you will be paying the same right as an annual owner. Let me put it in a real-life example in order to illustrate.

Let's say you're an odd year owner, and your first official use year is 2015. In 2013 and 2014, you will be billed $510/year. So by the time you use your week in 2015, you'll have paid $1020. That's the same rate an annual owner pays for his week.

Now, if you want to bring a week forward, you'll need to pay the MFs on that week. The MFs are $1020. So for two weeks in 2015, you'll have paid $510 + $510 + $1020 = $2040.

If you want to "bring forward a week" in 2016, you'll pay $1020 for that week... plus you'll owe $510 toward your 2017 week. And, of course, your bonus week is subject to availability.

So EOY owners aren't coming out ahead. They are paying the same rate as an annual owner. And they may only be able to secure a "bring it forward" week during low season, where $1020/week may not be the bargain that it is during prime season. (I also suspect that annual week owners are given the option to buy a "bonus week" for the cost of MFs. Why not? It's a great way to get rid of excess inventory.)

Besides, think about it. Why would they model a program to discourage people from buying every year?

I will use my real example. I start on 2014 as my first year....I pay $510 this year 2013 and $510 next year 2014 for a total of $1020 and I bring a year forward for $510, for a total of $1530 .....we already have a confirmed booking for two weeks in April 2014. This how it was explain to me. As my contract states that the Bring it forward year is off the back end and it would be year 99 that I have used for next year as my bring it forward. This effectively means that I have a 49 year contract when I do this, which is fine as it will not be a valuable resort at this point.

Even if it was the example you used, I can come every year for $1020 in a 3 bedroom condo that goes for over $2500 a week in off season and $3500 a week in prime season.

I have rented at other Island Timeshares for this amount for a 2 bedroom unit. I went around last year and talked to 5 different time share resorts and looked at all the units. I called the DBC resort in Dec and booked a week in Feb on the understanding that I would purchase a unit, I had done all the negotiations prior to me arriving there. I used one unit this year without the MF and no charge and my year starts next year. I am ahead of the game and happy. The way I look at this is that I save at least $1500 a year and have already saved $3510 (rent and $1020 Maintenance fee) and have a free week still in the hotel which I can use anytime for the next 3 years at a value of $1500-$2000 and the resort credit of $200 I received as well. This means that the net price I paid is $5300-$5800 for this unit. Which means that this unit will pay for it self in 4 uses. That is value in my eyes.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I will use my real example. I start on 2014 as my first year....I pay $510 this year 2013 and $510 next year 2014 for a total of $1020 and I bring a year forward for $510, for a total of $1530 .....we already have a confirmed booking for two weeks in April 2014.

(Bolding mine)

By your own words:

1) MFs for ONE USE WEEK are $1020.

2) EOY owners pay one half of their MFs two years in a row. $510 x 2 = $1020. One week's use; one week's MFs. Makes sense.

3) EOY owners are allowed to book a 2nd week, using a "bring a year forward" program. The condition is that you have to pay the MFs.

4) See #1. The MFs are $1020, NOT $510.

So to correct your real life example. You will pay $510 x 2 for a total of $1020 for your use week of 2014. When you bring a year foward, you will be charged for its MFs, which are $1020, NOT $510. Otherwise, the program would be called "bring a HALF year foward."

But, please, don't take my word on it. Call and inquire.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Dice - since you originally quoted my post - to fully understand the context of what was being stated here in response to jft - read from post #15 forward.

I hope you had time to look thru resale DBC weeks before you bought from the Developer.
(iirc - an every week resale is being sold for $5K) Often, when sales are new - there will not be a lot of resale and therefore resale prices tend to be higher (supply/demand). However, after Developer sales have gone on for a while - the resales start showing up. This will then become the Market price. In most cases these resale prices tend to be <90% of Developer pricing (common). Also, after sales have progressed for a while and resort gets close to being sold out - the MFs tend to increase rapidly (robbing Peter to pay Paul for those years of low MFs and sales incentives). I hope this is not the case with DBC, but history is against it. Just ask the 1000s here on TUG.

And (once again) - there is no such thing as Westin Dawn Beach TimeShares - so by logic one cannot buy from them since they do not exist (the point of our posts to jft who has convieniently disappeared). Apparently this was not jtf's experience when he came here to brag about his deal.

Enjoy your DBC week that you bought - but one thing is pretty much guaranteed based on years of TUG experience - you are not getting a bargain when buying from the Developer no matter how it is spun or justified. But one thing is true - once bought - try and make the best out of your TS.

Last edited:

dice934

Reaction score
Dice - since you originally quoted my post - to fully understand the context of what was being stated here in response to jft - read from post #15 forward.

I hope you had time to look thru resale DBC weeks before you bought from the Developer.
(iirc - an every week resale is being sold for $5K) Often, when sales are new - there will not be a lot of resale and therefore resale prices tend to be higher (supply/demand). However, after Developer sales have gone on for a while - the resales start showing up. This will then become the Market price. In most cases these resale prices tend to be <90% of Developer pricing (common). Also, after sales have progressed for a while and resort gets close to being sold out - the MFs tend to increase rapidly (robbing Peter to pay Paul for those years of low MFs and sales incentives). I hope this is not the case with DBC, but history is against it. Just ask the 1000s here on TUG.

And (once again) - there is no such thing as Westin Dawn Beach TimeShares - so by logic one cannot buy from them since they do not exist (the point of our posts to jft who has convieniently disappeared). Apparently this was not jtf's experience when he came here to brag about his deal.

Enjoy your DBC week that you bought - but one thing is pretty much guaranteed based on years of TUG experience - you are not getting a bargain when buying from the Developer no matter how it is spun or justified. But one thing is true - once bought - try and make the best out of your TS.

Thanks for your reply.

I read all the posts that is why I quoted yours, just to give you the real goods from someone who bought from there.

I have looked on line for a resale unit and I saw an ad for a one week each year unit for $5000, but when I tried to purchase it, it was really an ad for a rental.....or so that was what I was told? I'm happy with the TS I bought as I go there yearly and the value to me is the cost savings. I plan on buying another TS when they start to sell out from the resell market so that I can ensure that I can get two weeks at a time.

Here is one for sale $25000 http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshare/Westin+Dawn+Beach+Resort+and+Spa/resort/

The rest are rental ads from $2500 to $3000 a week.

I'm sure that all units placed for sale are currently being bought by the DBC so as to protect their value....that will change I'm sure. I went into this with eyes wide open and I'm happy with what I purchased at the price that I did.

This is a 3 bedroom unit we are talking about and that needs to be remembered, as that is what I need for my family. If I was looking for just my wife and I, it would not be at DBC as it would be too large and not required. The location of the resort was a major consideration as the beach is blocked on both sides by rocks and land and that suits me well. It is not a crowded beach front. The only real issue here is the lack of shade, they do not provide umbrellas for free but that was easily over come as I rented chairs and umbrellas from the Car rental place for $15 for the week.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for your reply.

I read all the posts that is why I quoted yours, just to give you the real goods from someone who bought from there.

I have looked on line for a resale unit and I saw an ad for a one week each year unit for $5000, but when I tried to purchase it, it was really an ad for a rental.....or so that was what I was told? I'm happy with the TS I bought as I go there yearly and the value to me is the cost savings. I plan on buying another TS when they start to sell out from the resell market so that I can ensure that I can get two weeks at a time.

Here is one for sale $25000 http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshare/Westin+Dawn+Beach+Resort+and+Spa/resort/

The rest are rental ads from $2500 to $3000 a week.

I'm sure that all units placed for sale are currently being bought by the DBC so as to protect their value....that will change I'm sure. I went into this with eyes wide open and I'm happy with what I purchased at the price that I did.

This is a 3 bedroom unit we are talking about and that needs to be remembered, as that is what I need for my family. If I was looking for just my wife and I, it would not be at DBC as it would be too large and not required. The location of the resort was a major consideration as the beach is blocked on both sides by rocks and land and that suits me well. It is not a crowded beach front. The only real issue here is the lack of shade, they do not provide umbrellas for free but that was easily over come as I rented chairs and umbrellas from the Car rental place for $15 for the week.

Thanks for the real info on buying from DBC (vs. the convoluted one from jtw), and good that you are aware of the pitfalls.

I thought all DBCs were 3 Bds.

The auction I was referring to was from CJ (common eBay seller) on eBay for $4.95K with annual fees of $992 (auction is over - zero bids) - so it sounds as if the MFs are close to what you stated for EOY (as there is usually a slight fee for EOY)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THREE-BEDRO...Timeshares&hash=item5653c8d18e#ht_4177wt_1026

This appears to be an annual 3Bd at DBC (even though CJ claims Westin Dawn Beach and a Westin ROFR {arg} - it is not atypical for TS Brokers to have wrong info in their auction - probably came from Owners who thinks it is WDB) - regardless, zero bids at $5K for an EY DBC is a watch-out for an EOY being sold at $11K from DBC.

Good luck.

Last edited:

dice934

Reaction score
Thanks for the real info on buying from DBC (vs. the convoluted one from jtw), and good that you are aware of the pitfalls.

The auction I was referring to was from CJ (common eBay seller) on eBay for $4.95K with annual fees of $992 (auction is over - zero bids) - so it sounds as if the MFs are close to what you stated for EOY (as there is usually a slight fee for EOY)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THREE-BEDRO...Timeshares&hash=item5653c8d18e#ht_4177wt_1026

This appears to be an annual 3Bd at DBC (even though CJ claims Westin Dawn Beach and a Westin ROFR {arg} - it is not atypical for TS Brokers to have wrong info in their auction - probably came from Owners who thinks it is WDB) - regardless, zero bids at $5K for an EY DBC is a watch-out for an EOY being sold at $11K from DBC.

Good luck.

David,

like I stated above DBC buys up these as it affects sale prices, I tried to buy one this way. This auction is subject to Westin's Right of First Refusal. If Westin exercises this right the buyer will receive a full refund.

They are currently exercising the option that the contract gives them.

Like I stated I stayed at the unit this year which would have cost me $2500-$3000 as it was in Feb which is prime time, as well as I got a Westin hotel room for a week that can be used anytime which is a $2000 value if used in high season. Add that up along with the $200 dollar resort credit and this totals $4700 - $5200 so the net amount that I paid is $5700 -$6200 and when you consider I saved MF of $1020 if I had own the unit....it brings this down to $4700- $5200 for this purchase.

You are correct that all units are 3 bedroom units and all with ocean front views.

I do understand your view and rightfully so, but for me this was a no brainier as we were paying $2000 for a week the last 5 years for a place that could accommodate our family....without the services that this offers.

I will be looking for a resale TS from this resort in the future when it is close to being sold out...and I would expect to pay as little as possible.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David,

like I stated above DBC buys up these as it affects sale prices, I tried to buy one this way. This auction is subject to Westin's Right of First Refusal. If Westin exercises this right the buyer will receive a full refund.

They are currently exercising the option that the contract gives them.

You realize that this has nothing to do with Westin's ROFR - as it is not a Westin resort.

I (We) will have to take your word on DBC exercising their ROFR. However, for other resorts (e.g. SVO/Westin) the ROFR is not usually performed while sales are active prior to the resort selling out. It makes no sense to do so since DBC's object is to sale VOIs (TS weeks) and not to buy back just to have to sell them again. The resale market is so sparse for DBC, and other unsuspecting dupes are not even aware of the resale market (something that SVO takes advantage of and they are huge compared to DBC) for it to even matter to them to keep the price high. It just does not work that way unless there is no more inventory.

Also, no need to continue the justification of your great deal. tbh, I highly doubt any Tugger will agree no matter how many numbers are put forth (except those who may have bought from DBC). No one is saying that it isn't a great resort - it sounds great.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good luck.
Relisted at 3k with a 6k BIN price.