• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Marketplace spam again? [Judy Boulay]

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got three messages today from this person on three different ads,
all identical:

2 Judy Boulay
judboulay@hotmail.com
7029520948 Hi, I am interested in purchasing your timeshare, is it still available for sale? Please send me an email to judboulay@hotmail.com to discuss further. 2012/07/26

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes. I got 2 from Judy today. I am ignoring them.

cathield

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did not realize this was a scam; I sent an email to the hotmail address to call me about the timeshare. Will ignore and check first next time :/

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me three...

I got three such inquiries today from "judy" in response to TUG Marketplace ads. Each inquiry was exactly the same as those already reported above. I responded (...but from a seldom-used "throw away" email address), inviting any further specific questions by email. I revealed nothing of any potential use to a phisher or scammer and I don't actually expect to receive any "follow-up" inquiries from "phishing judy". :rolleyes:

FWIW, if you call the (likely completely bogus) phone number (702 area code is Nevada), you get a recording indicating that "Andrew Frechette is hearing impaired and won't be coming to the phone --- please send him an email instead" (...but no such email address is actually provided in the recording :rolleyes: ). I called from a "blocked" number, so I have no concerns about having provided anything of any potential use or interest to this obvious and unwelcome phisher / scammer.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Judy" may call you...

Did not realize this was a scam; I sent an email to the hotmail address to call me about the timeshare. Will ignore and check first next time :/

It would appear that you provided a phone number to "judy".
Please let us know what (if any) "follow-up contact" you subsequently get from having provided that info....

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
That "Las Vegas" phone number is actually an internet phone number. These scammers are probably outside the U.S.

kmac115

TUG Member
Reaction score
judboulay@hotmail.com

Yes..I received 2 emails from her on my timeshares. I sent a general reply and did not give out any important information.

Lets see if I get a response....Thanks Tug members,

It probably is spam.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A question...

That "Las Vegas" phone number is actually an internet phone number. These scammers are probably outside the U.S.

How could / would you actually know that?

I'm certainly not doubting or challenging your assertion, I simply don't know or begin to understand how you could discern that to be a "Internet" number from a "702" (Nevada) area code... :shrug: :confused: :shrug:

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

I'm certainly not doubting or challenging your assertion, I simply don't know or begin to understand how you could discern that to be a "Internet" number from a "702" (Nevada) area code... :shrug: :confused: :shrug:

While not VoIP uses are for scammers, I would think it is preferred by scammers because they can deceive their "customers" into thinking they are somewhere where they are not. It also doesn't have a paper trail that having a landline would.

There are others but the one I use is Searchbug.

http://www.searchbug.com/tools/landline-or-cellphone.aspx

Last edited:

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes..I received 2 emails from her on my timeshares. I sent a general reply and did not give out any important information.

Lets see if I get a response....Thanks Tug members,

It probably is spam.

Same here. I had one email from judy but have not heard back.

Likely spam.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Had 10. Judy's been busy!

Before I even opened my email account, I said to myself, "somebody's been busy spamming me." I was right. But I thought it was going to be my Craigslist ads.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Possibly spam but probably scam. I get plenty of scam emails from Craig's List.

I got this one this morning.

Hello,
I will like to know if you have September 10-13 available,pls get back to me with the cost and availabilities.

This was in response to an ad I have posted for a timeshare that is for sale.

The sent from and reply to are always different on these and who ever wrote it is trying to rob me so it gets reported to Craig's List as SCAM, then sent to my trash can.

This response immediately raised a "Peggy" alert in my mind. Maybe Peggy changed "her" name to Judy.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_different_between_spam_and_scam

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ill mass delete them this afternoon...just ignore them.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
I got the Judy Boulay messages as well.

More interestingly, I also got an inquiry on my Redweek ad from Andrew Frechette. Generally, scammers are fewer on Redweek because of the need to register and pay.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plot thickens...

More interestingly, I also got an inquiry on my Redweek ad from Andrew Frechette. Generally, scammers are fewer on Redweek because of the need to register and pay.

It is indeed interesting that the name on the RedWeek inquiry you received is the same name as on the "Judy Boulay" recorded VOIP message.

Out of curiousity, what was the email address of the elusive (and perhaps only mythical) "Mr. Frechette"? :ponder:

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
what was the email address of the elusive (and perhaps only mythical) "Mr. Frechette"?

It was his name at yahoo.com.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also got a suspicious inquiry from Redweek from an Andre Lapa, asking if my unit was still available and the total cost (though it's there in the ad).
I responded from the Redweek mail service, hoping that way they don't have access to my email account.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno...

Agreed. In my experience, spammers and scammers are very few and far between for RedWeek ads, for the precise reason you cite. Registering and paying for membership there (...just as here on TUG) leaves behind a "footprint" and a "paper trail", which are clearly poisonous concepts to spammers and scammers.

That being said, it is also clear that on RedWeek there are plenty of "middleman-wannabees" who routinely ferret through ads there in an attempt to insert themselves between owner and potential lessees, in pursuit of a buck. A minor annoyance, but not one constituting any apparent ill intent --- just a profit motive.

Maybe "judy the phisher / spammer" just made up a phone number, but the "coincidence" of an elusive Andrew Frechette (whose name is on the "judy" phone # recording) appearing on other sites on the same day, responding to other timeshare ads, is still puzzling. I don't tend to believe in "coincidences". :ponder: :rolleyes: :ponder:

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I just want to state that I'm glad you don't have to be a paying member here on TUG to respond to classified ads. It adds value to our membership by having our ads available to anyone who in interested in our units.

My daughter and her husband obtained a nice summer week at Treasure Lakes in Pa through an ad I saw in the TUG classifieds just prior to becoming a member.

If I would have had to register and pay I may not have bothered to respond to the ad but after the success of obtaining that unit, I did join.

Yes, we may get the occasional spam email but it is a minor annoyance to me.

I do feel slighted though, I have 2 ads currently running and even "Judy" is not interested in them. What chance do I have?:wall:

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
VIOP area codes

when you get viop service you can choose any area code you want.

DVB42

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
She must have sent to everyone within the Marketplace. I have two adds and both got the same message as reported by others.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Live and learn...

when you get viop service you can choose any area code you want.

Thanks. I had insufficient technical knowledge to even know (or otherwise learn) that the phone number at issue was / is actually just a VOIP number in the first place --- hence my original question. Although it's always humbling to reveal my technological ignorance, it's also always good to learn something new... :eek: