• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] Questions about a Westgate purchase

DetailsPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received the deed to a Westgate property we bought on Tugs. Took a while for it to be completed, and after tracking the documents necessary realized I could have done it myself. No worries, though, the seller took care of the necessities, and we are now proud owners. Fast forward two weeks to when I called Westgate to add days to a reservation we already had and were told because we bought resale we do not qualify for owners rates and they referred me to the general reservation number. They told us all the benefits of buying developer units were not available to resale owners with the exception of the resort discount if you purchase food or goods on the property and do not have to pay the resort fees when staying. Also were told it is $600 to trade our unit at The Lakes for any other Westgate property. They said it was right on the website. Although I finally found some of the information, I could not find anything that refers to resale not being treated as owners for reservations. We researched many different properties before looking for and buying at Westgate Lakes, through Tugs. Looks like we now have a 3 bedroom lock off, during Thanksgiving week every year, that we probably will be putting into II, and, according to Westgate, paying $600 to split the units apart, and then paying the exchange fee to use a different week or resort. We feel like although we now have a good unit at Westgate Lakes, the restrictions of buying resale almost did not make it worth it. Anyone else have experiences like this? Any resorts in Orlando that don't treat their owners like this?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Fast forward two weeks to when I called Westgate to add days to a reservation we already had and were told because we bought resale we do not qualify for owners rates and they referred me to the general reservation number.
Did you call the general reservation number? Were you told the same thing about resale buyers vs. developer buyers? What if you just identify yourself as an owner and not a resale buyer--what info would you get then? I hope some Westgate owners will respond because this sounds like something a timeshare salesman would tell you. I think in general when one buys a timeshare and the deed is put in your name you are an owner with all the responsibilities and benefits that the prior owner had.

After reading the other responses below I am just appalled at Westgate's practice of treating resales so poorly. I've always heard complaints about Westgate management and now I know why! I think that is just horrible.

Last edited:

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but..... Westgate will do what they want and you have little to no recourse. They treat all resale properties as trash. They will also tell you that you can only book 60 days out, so in theory you may not get any of the weeks you want.

No doubt the resorts are nice but the management is a completely different story.

https://vacatia.com/timeshare-vacation-clubs/westgate-resorts/timeshare-details#buying-resale
"Buying Resale Restrictions
Westgate places several restrictions on timeshares purchased on the resale market. Resales are not guaranteed an 11-month reservation window and may instead be limited to a 60-day reservation window for certain stays. Westgate does not allow resale owners to divide lock-off units into two separate residences. Resale owners may not be able to split their weeks into three- and four-day stays or upgrade to another season or residence type. Resale owners do not have access to the developer exchange and must instead make all exchanges and deposits through II. Owners must purchase a separate membership with II and are not automatically given Interval Gold status, as they normally would under Westgate’s contract. Additionally, resale owners do not have access to the Westgate Cruise & Travel Collection, discounts and promotions."

Sent from my Le X522 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG.

In order to persuade people to buy directly from Westgate, Westgate poisons the resale market with the restrictions and exorbitant fees they apply to owners who purchase on the secondary market.

Thanksgiving week sometimes fluctuates between week 46 and week 47. Do you own a fixed week, or do you need to reserve to get Thanksgiving week?
Once you reserve the unit, does Westgate charge a fee to deposit into Interval?
If you can only reserve 60 days out, you will then have a "late deposit" into Interval, which will limit you to exchanges within the next 59 days.

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
We just received the deed to a Westgate property we bought on Tugs. Took a while for it to be completed, and after tracking the documents necessary realized I could have done it myself. No worries, though, the seller took care of the necessities, and we are now proud owners. Fast forward two weeks to when I called Westgate to add days to a reservation we already had and were told because we bought resale we do not qualify for owners rates and they referred me to the general reservation number. They told us all the benefits of buying developer units were not available to resale owners with the exception of the resort discount if you purchase food or goods on the property and do not have to pay the resort fees when staying. Also were told it is $600 to trade our unit at The Lakes for any other Westgate property. They said it was right on the website. Although I finally found some of the information, I could not find anything that refers to resale not being treated as owners for reservations. We researched many different properties before looking for and buying at Westgate Lakes, through Tugs. Looks like we now have a 3 bedroom lock off, during Thanksgiving week every year, that we probably will be putting into II, and, according to Westgate, paying $600 to split the units apart, and then paying the exchange fee to use a different week or resort. We feel like although we now have a good unit at Westgate Lakes, the restrictions of buying resale almost did not make it worth it. Anyone else have experiences like this? Any resorts in Orlando that don't treat their owners like this?
If it is a fixed week you will have no problem using it as that every year. I f not it will be a bit harder to utilize. Depositing it in II will take care of that and make it usable.
As a Westgate owner I am always frustrated when I hear this dilemma. They have great properties and treat owners as royalty. We have never had a bad stay and love our home resort.
It is how they treat resales that makes no sense to me. It only hurts the product in the long run, and make resales worthless. Fortunately we have 2 grown children who already want the week ( 52 fixed ) when we are done with it.
Hopefully you can find a way to make it work for you. The lakes is a great resort. The spa and fitness center are top shelf and the Smoke House restaurant one of the best we've eaten at.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have great properties and treat owners as royalty.

I have never heard anyone state they treat their owners as royalty but assuming that is the consensus opinion, I think you mean as long as the owner does not want to sell. Treating a resale owner as dirt is the same as treating the owner as dirt since the new owner is the customer of the former.

I don't know if Westgate really has any fixed Thanksgiving weeks. I think the OP probably has a fixed week 47, so it won't always be Thanksgiving. If you are going to get a Westgate resale and they really do enforce their resale rules then fixed is obviously the way to go.

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
I have never heard anyone state they treat their owners as royalty but assuming that is the consensus opinion, I think you mean as long as the owner does not want to sell. Treating a resale owner as dirt is the same as treating the owner as dirt since the new owner is the customer of the former.

You are exactly right! They treat owners who bought from Westgate wonderfully. It is resales that get the shaft. It infuriates me that they do this. Treating everyone the same would NOT hurt their sales and would only make their product more sellable. (who wants a week you can't get rid of?) You are also correct there is no fixed Thanksgiving week If they own week 47 it is hit or miss if it includes the holiday.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We became ware of this double-standard Wastegate holds resale buyers to when a long time TUGger went about buying one on eBay. They backed out when (and after researching) it became obvious that is their M.O. Good thing the OP has a fixed week. If their Wastegate ownership, bought resale, is a floating week, they would also find they couldn't book until 60 days (iirc) before move-in.

The sad circumstance is that even owners who bought from Wastegate can't sell or transfer to anyone outside their immediate family without the owner's benefits being stripped. So Retail buyers are in effect trapped in their ownership- or relegated to withholding full disclosure when selling (as it appears the TUG previous owner did with their sale to the OP.)

Sorry a$$ creeps!

Jim

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
on a positive note, the week you have is a great time to visit. You have a very nice resort with a lot of amenities. We own a fixed week 52 and never go that week. We found it way to busy and crowded. We usually always go either Thanksgiving week or the week after as our week is both float and fixed. Kids are older so school break is no longer an issue. The weather is nice and traffic tolerable. Restaurants are rarely crowded, and the parks are not so busy if that is what you want to do. It may not be the trader you wanted but it can service you well non the less.

Reaction score
on a positive note, the week you have is a great time to visit. You have a very nice resort with a lot of amenities. We own a fixed week 52 and never go that week. We found it way to busy and crowded. We usually always go either Thanksgiving week or the week after as our week is both float and fixed. Kids are older so school break is no longer an issue. The weather is nice and traffic tolerable. Restaurants are rarely crowded, and the parks are not so busy if that is what you want to do. It may not be the trader you wanted but it can service you well non the less.
I'm looking at picking up a free Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront 4bdrm floating annual weeks 20-25, 27-36 and 45-47.

My question is has anyone picked up a floating All season resale at this resort and can shed some light on what the reservation window is for floating being that it is a resale contract. Also does it come with a fixed week as well?

I know the season is All for those weeks, am I guaranteed a week within those weeks listed?

Am I most likely to be stuck with week 45-47 each year?

Thank you

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Westgate is despised on TUG - they have terrible management. Don't do it!

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
I'm looking at picking up a free Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront 4bdrm floating annual weeks 20-25, 27-36 and 45-47.

My question is has anyone picked up a floating All season resale at this resort and can shed some light on what the reservation window is for floating being that it is a resale contract. Also does it come with a fixed week as well?

I know the season is All for those weeks, am I guaranteed a week within those weeks listed?

Am I most likely to be stuck with week 45-47 each year?

Thank you
There are fixed/floating weeks but that is not always the case. I don't know how easy it is to reserve a floating resale week with westgate. Unless it has a fixed week for sure you should stay away from a Westgate resale. Even if it works today they could become more difficult tomorrow!

Reaction score
There are fixed/floating weeks but that is not always the case. I don't know how easy it is to reserve a floating resale week with westgate. Unless it has a fixed week for sure you should stay away from a Westgate resale. Even if it works today they could become more difficult tomorrow!
Thank you both for your input. From you both and everyone else I've heard from about Westgate floating resales I will definitely pass on this one