• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] MVC Pulse San Francisco open for reservations

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
It looks like this property will only have guestrooms. On the dates I checked in September, point requirements were 400 points on a weekday night and 675 on weekends for a city view king.

It’s interesting that rooms can be booked for cash on Marriott.com for $325/night incl tax whereas 675 points cost $390 in maintenance fees for trust points owners. It doesn’t look like a good use of points to me, especially on weekend nights.

I’m also not on board with this strategy to open guestroom-only properties. Spacious accommodations with the comforts of home are core to the timeshare value proposition. Makes no sense for owners to tie up more capital in an ownership that gives access to rooms at a higher price than booking direct at full-service Marriott hotels.

Press release:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/marriott-vacation-club-pulse-san-140000594.html

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think any of the pulse properties are a good deal using points. I’ve stayed at the NYC for $150 per night with my owner discount. The one in DC shows similar rates especially on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This just gives us another way to use DPs. MVC offers many opportunities for using DPs at hotels and other places. Usually the cash rate is less than the cost in MFs. I am glad to have more options, even if I do not use them.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Just more smoke and mirrors to extoll the wonderous "flexibility" and "options" of DC points at sales presentations, while avoiding the true expense. Factor in the upfront cost of developer sale points, and it's a complete joke. MVC jumped the shark after 2010. Ask SEADOC.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't like pulse. If Marriott can make residence inns in these cities with decent studios and 1 BR with small full kitchens they could do the same with the vacation club units. The could also have connecting 1 BR and guest rooms for families. Wyndham vacation clubs makes the full range of accommodations available from guest room to studio to one bedroom to two bedroom and even 2-3 bedroom presidential units in SF, NY, Chicago, Austin, San Antonio.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great information. Please keeping on sharing more information.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It’s interesting that rooms can be booked for cash on Marriott.com for $325/night incl tax whereas 675 points cost $390 in maintenance fees for trust points owners. It doesn’t look like a good use of points to me, especially on weekend nights.

I’m also not on board with this strategy to open guestroom-only properties. Spacious accommodations with the comforts of home are core to the timeshare value proposition. Makes no sense for owners to tie up more capital in an ownership that gives access to rooms at a higher price than booking direct at full-service Marriott hotels.

I think the way you have to look at the Pulse properties is as another alternative for using your points rather than a reason to buy points in and of itself. I know when we bought our first timeshare almost exactly 20 years ago, one of our big complaints was the concept worked well for resort vacations, but if we wanted to travel to an urban area, timeshare was virtually useless. MVC Pulse and the By Hilton Club properties at HGVC are addressing this. I actually like the MVC approach better than HGVC because MVC Pulse uses the same booking windows and structure as the MVC resorts, whereas By Hilton Club is really a Club within a Club and regular HGVC owners have very restrictive booking windows for the BHC properties. I would also think that the urban properties are a response to the growing purchasing power of Millennials (now the largest segment of the US labor force and the most affluent young generation in history). The Millennial generation is drawn to active, urban destinations, so MVC is responding to this demographic trend.

Having said all of this, it is disappointing that the points requirements are not more competitive with the cash rates. That is always something we compare before booking with points, unless we have points to burn (which we rarely, if ever have). As you noted, it does appear the weekend point cost of 675 DPs is rarely, if ever more cost effective than using cash, since like many hotels, weekend rates are cheaper than weekday rates. On the other hand, I searched three weekday nights in September (since we're trying to figure out another California destination to add onto our September 2019 trip to Newport Coast) and the cost comparison was much better. The three nights, using the Senior Rate would be $1156, but it would only take 1200 DPs for the same room - just under $700 using the 2019 DP maintenance fee cost. Even using the 7VC Marriott Vacation Club discount, the three nights would be $1020, so DPs still look better. That's a more attractive proposition and one we might consider.

But as someone who often listens to Marriott Vacations Worldwide's quarterly earnings conference calls, I think these new locations are as much about giving MVC a footprint at which to set up a city sales center than anything else. At least that is what they focus on when talking to the investment analysts on the call - they don't really talk about the new property itself, but they emphasize the fact that they have a brand new sales center opening up in XX city that will increase tour flow and closed sales.

Wei339

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko olina
The Ritz Carlton Residences Destination Club in San Francisco is a much better use of points if you stay midweek. The location is central in the Union Square area and parking is free. Each residence has a fabulous kitchen. There is a 24 Concierge Lounge with free refreshments although no breakfast provided. Each evening there is a free wine tasting service in the lounge and freshly baked cookies available at the front desk. Computer service and printing is provided there as well. There are various sized residences. In the evening there is an in house car service to drive you to locations in close proximity to the residence.

BigMac

Reaction score
The Ritz Carlton Residences Destination Club in San Francisco is a much better use of points if you stay midweek. The location is central in the Union Square area and parking is free. Each residence has a fabulous kitchen. There is a 24 Concierge Lounge with free refreshments although no breakfast provided. Each evening there is a free wine tasting service in the lounge and freshly baked cookies available at the front desk. Computer service and printing is provided there as well. There are various sized residences. In the evening there is an in house car service to drive you to locations in close proximity to the residence.

You are right. All you get with this Pulse is a coffee maker and mini-fridge. Not even a microwave.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Good point. I always forget about that one. The points needed to book there are more than MVC Pulse, but not excessively more midweek. The issue there is availability seems more spotty than Pulse, but if it happened to sync-up with desired dates, it does appear to be a better value. Not sure I put much real value on the kitchen for a city stay, though. Doubt we would use it for anything other than maybe breakfast, and for a shorter stay, having to make do with breakfast out might be manageable. The extra space to spread out vs. a hotel room would be nice. It's good to have multiple options - Ritz, Pulse, or cash hotel.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The Ritz Carlton Residences and the Pier 2620 Hotel are in very different neighborhoods. Each is perfectly fine base of operations for tourists -- neither is on a hill and both are good for walking day or night.

The Ritz is at Third/Market/Kearny -- the intersection of San Francisco's Financial District and Union Square (shopping district): congestion, buses, hoards of pedestrians, and locals going about their business. The Pulse/2620 is at Columbus/Bay/Jones -- the edge of Fisherman's Wharf: lots of tourists; locals avoid it.

Also, the Pulse/2620 is literally across the street from the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf. One may wish to price compare before reserving at either.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
When calculating the cost using DPs, some of us are eligible for the points discount of 30%, although no one mentioned that.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think any of the pulse properties are a good deal using points. I’ve stayed at the NYC for $150 per night with my owner discount. The one in DC shows similar rates especially on weekends.
We stay in DC at the Mayflower relatively frequently and the MVCI rate is often better than the cash rate...sometimes significantly so. Usually on weekdays (we've done 'split stays' of weekday points and weekend cash) but sometimes on the weekend as well - it depends on what what events/conventions are in town and at the hotel. I can't speak to NYC since I live here.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
I have great difficulty seeing value in the Marriott vacation point program, especially Pulse.
We are frequent NYC visitors and almost always use Priceline for ridiculously cheap lodging. Bidding is not all that blind anymore and property names and specific descriptions often appear in the listing. I’ve seen midweek Pulse rooms listed by name in Express deals for $180, with additional 10% discounts available to frequent Priceline customers.
Across the street from Pulse, on 37th Street between 5th and 6th, is a brand new Embassy Suite hotel, full cooked to order breakfast, mini fridge, etc. We’ve gotten this Priceline express deal midweek for $130 per night. The Priceline district is Empire State area.
Weekend stays would be even less.
I’ll bet Marriott salesman never mention Priceline.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
So let me get this straight. MVC believes it's a good idea for someone to buy points at $14.10 a point (soon to go to $18/point if you believe the sales person we spoke with a couple of weeks ago) PLUS pay 58 cents/point yearly in perpetuity (plus yearly increases that average between 3-5%), just to book a hotel room that anyone can easily rent without the contract or yearly MF obligation?

Perhaps they're looking at this as a way to sell trust points based on inventory most people aren't going to use? In other words, it's a way to pad trust points inventory without actually investing in building new timeshares. They get to claim trust point inventory is available to use, even though there are not enough true timeshare weeks to validate points inventory. If that's what they're doing, I see booking true timeshare weeks becoming more difficult in the next 5 to 10 years as most owners will want true timeshare units, but a good part of the trust inventory will be available in basic hotel rooms.

Looking at new buyers, who in their right mind would buy 1,500 points at $14.10/point, or $21,500, PLUS agree to pay yearly MF, just to book a hotel room? Nope, I see the new buyers wanting to stay in timeshare units like all of us who have purchased over the years. That's going to put stress on true timeshare inventory and make booking what you want, when you want, all the more difficult once enough of the trust inventory wrapped up as Pulse Properties has been sold. This strategy will protect MVC legally from class action suits about oversold inventory as they can now claim all those "Pulse Properties" at trust inventory, even though they're just hotel rooms. Good for MVC, bad for owners IMHO.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
So let me get this straight. MVC believes it's a good idea for someone to buy points at $14.10 a point (soon to go to $18/point if you believe the sales person we spoke with a couple of weeks ago) PLUS pay 58 cents/point yearly in perpetuity (plus yearly increases that average between 3-5%), just to book a hotel room that anyone can easily rent without the contract or yearly MF obligation?

Perhaps they're looking at this as a way to sell trust points based on inventory most people aren't going to use? In other words, it's a way to pad trust points inventory without actually investing in building new timeshares. They get to claim trust point inventory is available to use, even though there are not enough true timeshare weeks to validate points inventory. If that's what they're doing, I see booking true timeshare weeks becoming more difficult in the next 5 to 10 years as most owners will want true timeshare units, but a good part of the trust inventory will be available in basic hotel rooms.

Looking at new buyers, who in their right mind would buy 1,500 points at $14.10/point, or $21,500, PLUS agree to pay yearly MF, just to book a hotel room? Nope, I see the new buyers wanting to stay in timeshare units like all of us who have purchased over the years. That's going to put stress on true timeshare inventory and make booking what you want, when you want, all the more difficult once enough of the trust inventory wrapped up as Pulse Properties has been sold. This strategy will protect MVC legally from class action suits about oversold inventory as they can now claim all those "Pulse Properties" at trust inventory, even though they're just hotel rooms. Good for MVC, bad for owners IMHO.

I agree that creating "cheap" trust inventory is probably one financial motivation for these locations, and it could have a downstream impact of more competition for the resorts. But don't assume the new buyer has the same motivation many of us legacy timeshare owners have. I know from talking to our Millennial and Generation Z kids, they aren't enamored with traditional resort vacations in condos. They want urban destinations with nightlife, bars, energy. If they go to the beach, they'll rent a cheap AirBnB. I think part of it is MVC responding to these trends and the increasing purchasing power of Millennials. We Baby Boomers who grew up on the resort experience are fading away in our influence. The future will be the desires of Generation X, Millennials, and Generation Z.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I agree that creating "cheap" trust inventory is probably one financial motivation for these locations, and it could have a downstream impact of more competition for the resorts. But don't assume the new buyer has the same motivation many of us legacy timeshare owners have. I know from talking to our Millennial and Generation Z kids, they aren't enamored with traditional resort vacations in condos. They want urban destinations with nightlife, bars, energy. If they go to the beach, they'll rent a cheap AirBnB. I think part of it is MVC responding to these trends and the increasing purchasing power of Millennials. We Baby Boomers who grew up on the resort experience are fading away in our influence. The future will be the desires of Generation X, Millennials, and Generation Z.

That might be their market focus, but a hotel room certainly isn't an airBnB. If that's their thinking, I believe they're missing the point with GenX, Millennial and GenZ. Airbnb works because you can rent a home for a few nights for the price of a hotel room. With the Pulse concept, you're buying a hotel room for the price of a house.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Nightlife, restaurants, etc are cool when you are young, single and have no kids. But at some point, the "Millennials" will get married, have kids and their ideas will evolve. Their wants and needs from a vacation will change. I guarantee they will find having a second bedroom (where the kids can go to sleep earlier and mom and dad can stay up) will become a huge desire. Same with a second bathroom. They'll also find having at least a small kitchen, even if it's simply for breakfast, will make their vacation a LOT easier. I've said it before, even if the family is just going to McDonald's for breakfast, the hassle of getting everyone up and rotating through the bathroom in a hotel room is enough to warrant the cost of a timeshare.

I'm all for timeshares at urban locations. They offer sightseeing and other experiences I would not get at a "beach/resort" location. I understand they may not have a huge pool, giant kids club and other "resort" amenities, but I still want a little bit of extra space (compared to a regular hotel room). I want a mini kitchen for breakfast foods, snacks and the ability to microwave restaurant takeout/leftovers. If the "urban timeshare" only offers me the same space as a typical hotel room, then I might as well stay at the hotel and have maid service, room service options, spa, my elite benefits and in many cases, a premium location.

I understand there may be certain times when I have leftover points and I may burn some at a "Pulse." But I imagine, most people would rather use their points for other properties that are a better value. I would also argue even those who really don't watch the "value" of every dollar would choose the luxury of a full service hotel rather than a Pulse location. I'd use timeshare points for a cruise or tour before I would use them for a Pulse.

So I just don't get the business model of making a Pulse just another hotel (with fewer amenities).

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Just more smoke and mirrors to extoll the wonderous "flexibility" and "options" of DC points at sales presentations, while avoiding the true expense. Factor in the upfront cost of developer sale points, and it's a complete joke. MVC jumped the shark after 2010. Ask SEADOC.

When they gutted the unique benefits of Chairman's Club / Premier Plus formerly, and gave the same benefits to Presidential which is 50% less in ownership, I knew that was the beginning of the end. Having brought many during my successful tenure within this Company, I was proud and excited to get owners to this Chairman's Club level, as it truly was a unique benefit level. Now, my ability to get 3rd Home properties has diminished to zero, now that Presidential level has full access as well as the ability to take advantage of 30% discounts has markedly decreased within 60 days has also been gutted as well. I begged the powers that be in Orlando to do something unique for those who have spent 50% more than the Presidential level to give them something. THEY DID NOTHING... But alas, I still work my Chairman's Club level as best as I can and still make out very well... And I agree, RC San Francisco is one of my absolute favorite properties... If ever you can book it, do so, and who doesn't love free parking, free cappuccinos in the owner's floor lounge in San Francisco... I'm in Newport Coast now for Christmas, June gloom in December, but nice to get away, then off to Ko' Olina Penthouse and the Royal Hawaiian for two weeks for my birthday in January... Forced Retirement is out of this world... Happy New Years everyone and Merry Christmas!!!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chairmans Club should have benefits, significant over Presidential, but it does not. Like Seadoc, I am very happy with the points I have and making out quite well. But you have to use the system, every points use this year was within 60 days for us making it a much better deal. It's strange that they have done nothing with Chairmans. For people at presidential level, like me, why would I want to get to Chairmans!? Seems like they are limiting sales as there is nothing they can even make up that would make it sound like a good idea to get to Chairmans.

There still seems to be some decent ThirdHome deals out there, did there used to be a lot more? I never had the ability to use them until semi-recently so don't know how it used to be.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. MVC needs to enhance Chairman’s Club level. I think they should develop better deals for booking luxury options at the Chairman’s Club level. They could keep all else the same and make Chairman’s Club level geared toward luxury travelers. I know this will not benefit all the current Chairman’s Club members but it would probably entice many people, like myself, to upgrade to Chairman’s Level. I am currently Presidential Level and waiting for a reason to upgrade.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
We’re 1,250 short of chairman’s level. You can see it in the sales persons eyes, they think it will be an easy sale....... but it’s not. There’s nothing at Chairman’s level we’re going to use. At least nothing worth $21,000 dollars plus additional MF’s

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
When they gutted the unique benefits of Chairman's Club / Premier Plus formerly, and gave the same benefits to Presidential which is 50% less in ownership, I knew that was the beginning of the end. Having brought many during my successful tenure within this Company, I was proud and excited to get owners to this Chairman's Club level, as it truly was a unique benefit level. Now, my ability to get 3rd Home properties has diminished to zero, now that Presidential level has full access as well as the ability to take advantage of 30% discounts has markedly decreased within 60 days has also been gutted as well. I begged the powers that be in Orlando to do something unique for those who have spent 50% more than the Presidential level to give them something. THEY DID NOTHING... But alas, I still work my Chairman's Club level as best as I can and still make out very well... And I agree, RC San Francisco is one of my absolute favorite properties... If ever you can book it, do so, and who doesn't love free parking, free cappuccinos in the owner's floor lounge in San Francisco... I'm in Newport Coast now for Christmas, June gloom in December, but nice to get away, then off to Ko' Olina Penthouse and the Royal Hawaiian for two weeks for my birthday in January... Forced Retirement is out of this world... Happy New Years everyone and Merry Christmas!!!

If you are in Waikiki, i will be at the Grand Islander from Dec 30- Jan 5 if you want to meet up. Grand Islander is about 15 minutes walk to the Royal Hawaiian.

If not, we can meet up here at mko from Jan 4 until i leave for fll on the 25th. Would love to meet and talk with another tugger. Have a happy birthday.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
San Francisco yucky! Zero desire to stay there ever. It's a filthy dangerous place. Not my idea of a vacation spot. Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and maybe spend a day seeing the sites but don't look too closely you might see more than you planned.

Yuck!