• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A bit confused on where to start

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was planning on diving into this forum and researching more on the Hilton timeshare program, but before I can do that, I guess I need to determine which one I was attending the presentation for. (Don't worry, not planning on paying retail)

I was staying at the Sedona Summit Hilton Vacation Club. and the paper they were showing me explaining the points and cost and everything had a logo on top that said "Hilton Vacation Club". So that tells me this was for a HVC timeshare, and I'm assuming that is different from HGVC???

Obviously I have tons of follow up questions, but I guess this is good for now so I can start my due diligence.

Thanks for the help!

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Correct. That is the previous Diamond properties and some have been rebranded to HVC. It is a different program and ownership than HGVC. They have trust points in a collection of properties compared to HGVC that is a deed at a specific property with associated points to use the other HGVC properties. Also, they have different rules and benefits.

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. That is the previous Diamond properties and some have been rebranded to HVC. It is a different program and ownership than HGVC. They have trust points in a collection of properties compared to HGVC that is a deed at a specific property with associated points to use the other HGVC properties. Also, they have different rules and benefits.
Thanks for the clarification!!! Is there a thread that explains all the differences between those two? I tried searching but haven't found anything on that yet. I'll keep looking though.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would look through the club rules for HGVC and DRI (The Club), see attached. Other than the club rules, they are different properties and different perks. You can look through the HGVC investor presentation slides, https://s27.q4cdn.com/757306400/fil...23/Sep/28/hgv-overview-deck-december-2023.pdf . The other big difference is the collection versus individual properties.

Here are the booking windows for them:
1708454690244.png

Attachments

• TheClubrules2023_2024.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • HGVClub-Disclosure-Statement-January-2024-Club-Rules-and-Fees.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would look through the club rules for HGVC and DRI (The Club), see attached. Other than the club rules, they are different properties and different perks. You can look through the HGVC investor presentation slides, https://s27.q4cdn.com/757306400/fil...23/Sep/28/hgv-overview-deck-december-2023.pdf . The other big difference is the collection versus individual properties.

View attachment 88871
Thanks for sharing this information

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 88871
Awesome! Thanks for all this info!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@carloscordon82 Welcome to TUG.

IMHO...For both programs I would avoid buying from the developer. If you are interested in a specific property, suggest that you purchase either an HGVC deed or HVC deeded unit for best cost per stay and control over your expenses and what you have access to. Stick around TUG and we can help you figure out what deeds are best.

The biggest question is which program has the resorts you wish visit most often - check out locations for HGVC and HVC, your budget and desired quality of accommodations. HGVC is higher end however a few HVC are just as good if not better e.g. Cabo Azul.

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
@carloscordon82 Welcome to TUG.

IMHO...For both programs I would avoid buying from the developer. If you are interested in a specific property, suggest that you purchase either an HGVC deed or HVC deeded unit for best cost per stay and control over your expenses and what you have access to. Stick around TUG and we can help you figure out what deeds are best.

The biggest question is which program has the resorts you wish visit most often - check out locations for HGVC and HVC, your budget and desired quality of accommodations. HGVC is higher end however a few HVC are just as good if not better e.g. Cabo Azul.
Thanks @CalGalTraveler !!!

I honestly don't have a specific property in mind. As of now my wife and I just travel to different states (and sometimes countries) that we would like to visit. We always try to pick the cheapest dates and deals, and we can travel weekdays and avoid weekends. We typically stay in Studios or 1Bd at most.

I guess in my mind (and this might be a too simplistic way of looking at it) I'm just trying to determine how points translate to rooms/locations I would travel. Because with HGVC, if 5000 points in a year can get me enough nights to justify the annual expense, then I would go for that.

I remember seeing a post around here that had some charts of points needed per night for weekdays and weekends for different destinations. I'll have to dig around.

Thanks again!!!

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC points guide but it is also in the back pages of the club rules that I posted...for HGVC. See the attachment in this post, https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/2...-club-rules-fees-and-tips.347868/post-2886844
Thank you for that! I was looking through it and found the points guide. I did see a bunch of fees and numbers. When you book let's say a 5 night stay with points, what are the typical fees you'll see added? Assuming this is HGVC, and the reservation is for a resort within HGVC.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for that! I was looking through it and found the points guide. I did see a bunch of fees and numbers. When you book let's say a 5 night stay with points, what are the typical fees you'll see added? Assuming this is HGVC, and the reservation is for a resort within HGVC.
some places, nothing but other places, local taxes...like Hawaii. If you are using points or open season (cash price in the last 30 days prior to the stay), you don't pay any fees unless there are local taxes or parking. Some places charge for parking or only charge for valet parking. Some don't have valet and the first car is free...so it just depends on the property. In NYC, W57th, has a short stay fee but the others in NYC don't. Each property has a fees section in the HGVC owner portal that outlines all fees.

I just returned from Ocean Oak, Hilton Head and here is my bill:
1708463626120.png

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
some places, nothing but other places, local taxes...like Hawaii. If you are using points or open season (cash price in the last 30 days prior to the stay), you don't pay any fees unless there are local taxes or parking. Some places charge for parking or only charge for valet parking. Some don't have valet and the first car is free...so it just depends on the property. In NYC, W57th, has a short stay fee but the others in NYC don't. Each property has a fees section in the HGVC owner portal that outlines all fees.

I just returned from Ocean Oak, Hilton Head and here is my bill:
View attachment 88881
oh, that's nice! I remember in the presentation they also mentioned cash deals, the sales person did a search and instead of points he selected cash. Does HGVC have that option also? And if so, are there any restrictions?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
oh, that's nice! I remember in the presentation they also mentioned cash deals, the sales person did a search and instead of points he selected cash. Does HGVC have that option also? And if so, are there any restrictions?
no restrictions, other than time, availability, and occupancy. The only other restriction is when you want to book in Hilton Club, some of them can't be booked by HGVC owners who don't own in Hilton Club.

Here is an example of Open Season but the pricing will be different based on your elite level. We are Elite Premier so we get a 30% discount on Open Season, so our prices are lower than others that aren't Elite Premier.

1708465184134.png

Here is what you see when you try to book NYC if you don't own there:
1708465295176.png

But other Hilton Club, you can book without owning there:
1708465352111.png

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thank you so much for posting those screenshots. You said you're Elite Premier, what determines the status?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, thank you so much for posting those screenshots. You said you're Elite Premier, what determines the status?
Long story.

Before HGV bought Diamond, when you bought retail or resale at specific affiliates, your points were considered elite qualifying and there are three levels of elite; Elite, Elite Plus, and Elite Premier.

Since the acquisition and then creation of HGV Max, they have created Max Tiers that sort of took the place of the elite levels for those that joined Max. If you buy a retail deed, then they automatically put you in Max.

For those that don't buy retail, they are considered HGVC Legacy and still have the Elite levels but you can only get elite qualifying points from the few remaining affiliates so, if you want to be Elite, then you have to be deliberate about where you buy resale.

This page talks about it, https://www.hiltongrandvacations.co...-hilton-grand-vacations-club-membership-tiers

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Can you use HGVC points towards resorts like Hilton Vacation Club (HVC)?
If you purchase HGVC resale, you will NOT have access to HVC. If you purchase HVC resale, you are further restricted to only that trust points collection (is my understanding) and not HGVC side.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see the document in that post that contains the points for each resort. Are those the only resorts that HGVC owners have access to? Can you use HGVC points towards resorts like Hilton Vacation Club (HVC)?
If you are in HGVC Legacy, that is all you have access to other than in RCI or other exchanges. You have to buy retail and join Max to have access to the DRI/HVC properties.... Unless they are in RCI.

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh interesting. Which TS has the most resorts? Between HGVC, HVC, and all other brands.
If you are in HGVC Legacy, that is all you have access to other than in RCI or other exchanges. You have to buy retail and join Max to have access to the DRI/HVC properties.... Unless they are in RCI.
What do you mean by "other than RCI or other exchanges" ?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh interesting. Which TS has the most resorts? Between HGVC, HVC, and all other brands.

What do you mean by "other than RCI or other exchanges" ?
I can't speak to that since I only know HGVC and Hilton Club. You can look at the back of The Club rule book to see how many they have. Others can speak to other chains.

RCI is another exchange, https://www.rci.com/pre-rci/us/en/resort-directory/landing . This is the generic RCI page but there is a custom one that integrates with HGVC that allows you to book RCI directly with HGVC points. The HGVC version is a subset of the generic one though since HGVC tends to screen out lesser quality properties or so I have heard. Other exchanges include SFX, GPX, and II. You can exchange for SFX, https://www.sfxresorts.com/, weeks within HGV by calling the customer service to book or, some of the HGVC properties allow you to exchange directly. GPX, https://www.gpxvacations.com/, is an exchange that the California properties are in and they can exchange there or in HGV. Interval International, https://www.intervalworld.com/web/my/home , is another exchange that allows some properties to exchange their weeks directly.

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to that since I only know HGVC and Hilton Club. You can look at the back of The Club rule book to see how many they have. Others can speak to other chains.

RCI is another exchange, https://www.rci.com/pre-rci/us/en/resort-directory/landing . This is the generic RCI page but there is a custom one that integrates with HGVC that allows you to book RCI directly with HGVC points. The HGVC version is a subset of the generic one though since HGVC tends to screen out lesser quality properties or so I have heard. Other exchanges include SFX, GPX, and II. You can exchange for SFX, https://www.sfxresorts.com/, weeks within HGV by calling the customer service to book or, some of the HGVC properties allow you to exchange directly. GPX, https://www.gpxvacations.com/, is an exchange that the California properties are in and they can exchange there or in HGV. Interval International, https://www.intervalworld.com/web/my/home , is another exchange that allows some properties to exchange their weeks directly.

So even if you buy HGVC resale you can exchange your points in RCI ?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So even if you buy HGVC resale you can exchange your points in RCI ?
yes, it is the same whether you buy retail or resale. points are points and 3 years of points will show in the RCI portal (this year, next, and the following year)

carloscordon82

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, it is the same whether you buy retail or resale. points are points and 3 years of points will show in the RCI portal (this year, next, and the following year)

Nice, so I guess that does add some other resorts/locations additional to all the HGVC locations. How's the value with RCI ? Do people use it or is it bad use of points?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice, so I guess that does add some other resorts/locations additional to all the HGVC locations. How's the value with RCI ? Do people use it or is it bad use of points?
Mixed. The AI properties are a waste of money...better off going through the resort directly or some place like Costco. Some properties aren't the greatest so you need to read reviews but the points are normally less. There can be some great deals on HGVC and HC properties though because the RCI has caps on the number of points they charge based on unit type.

Here is an example:
A 4 night stay at The Central at 5th is 2,304 pts via RCI
1708641997310.png

The same unit via HGVC is 3,600 and you can't book that far out in HGVC if you don't own there but you can in RCI
1708642115997.png