• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Affiliated resort versus developed resort

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
AFAIK, all resorts on Sanibel-Captiva & Ft.Myers Bch are voluntary, no rofr.
As legacy affiliates, they existed b4 HGVC, and were included at inception.*

-----------------------------
*Hilton's relationship with the SW Florida resorts stems from it partnering
w-Mariner Group in 1992 to form HGVC. When Hilton bought them out in
1996, they kept their resorts as affiliates.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
All of these are voluntary hgvc membership with no rofr

Surf Club of Marco Island
Eagles Nest of Marco Island
Charter Club of Marco Island
Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Hutchinson Island

Except for Charter Club all can trade in Interval.
I guess I never realized we cannot trade Charter Club in II. I wonder why that is? Anyone know the history behind this?

Kurt

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found this in the 2018 HGVC Disclosure Statement (from my HGVC online account).

It looks to me that the chance of terminating the affiliation of a resort managed by HGVC is slim to none. They state a possible reason for termination if they fail to maintain and manage the resort properly which cannot be the case if HGVC manages the property since they would be accusing themselves of doing a poor job.

"HGVC RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SUSPEND OR TERMINATE PARTICIPATION OF AN AFFILIATED
RESORT IN THE CLUB IF THE AFFILIATED RESORT FAILS TO MAINTAIN AND MANAGE THE
ACCOMMODATIONS AND FACILITIES OF THE AFFILIATED RESORT AT THE LEVEL OF QUALITY AND
CUSTOMER SERVICE ESTABLISHED BY HGVC FOR ALL AFFILIATED RESORTS FROM TIME TO TIME. AN
AFFILIATED RESORT’S RELATIONSHIP WITH THE CLUB MAY ALSO BE TERIMINATED OR SUSPENDED IF
THE ASSOCIATION FILES BANKRUPTCY OR BECOMES INSOLVENT. HGVC SHALL NOT HAVE THE RIGHT
TO TERMINATE THE AFFILIATION OF A CLUB RESORT DURING THE FIRST FIVE YEAR’S OF OPERATION
OR SO LONG AS THE DEVELOPER OF A CLUB RESORT CONTROLS THE OWNERS ASSOCIATION OF THE
PROJECT, AS SET OUT IN THE GOVERNING DOCUMENTS FOR THE CLUB RESORT."

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
BTW, an affiliated resort also has the right to kick HGVC to the curb...
Even when parting ways, members previously enrolled kept their status.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
BTW, an affiliated resort also has the right to kick HGVC to the curb...
Even when parting ways, members previously enrolled kept their status.

That’s what happened at Shell Island Beach Club. A small contingent of owners, some year long owners pushed a vote to remove HGVC as resort managers when the HOA was in flux. It happened very fast and many were not happy with the decision. Any HGVC member kept their membership and the ability to convert to points. If they sell, however, the unit leaves HGVC.

Judy Nagaoka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does MarBrisa have ROFR?

All of these are voluntary hgvc membership with no rofr

Surf Club of Marco Island

Eagles Nest of Marco Island

Charter Club of Marco Island

Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Hutchinson Island

Except for Charter Club all can trade in Interval.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does MarBrisa have ROFR?

No, it doesn’t. I have seen great deals on those units. I think one Tug members said they purchased a 7000 point 2 bedroom platinum for $2000.

I’m not sure if HGVC membership is voluntary like the SW Florida resorts or not.

Judy Nagaoka

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn’t. I have seen great deals on those units. I think one Tug members said they purchased a 7000 point 2 bedroom platinum for $2000.

I’m not sure if HGVC membership is voluntary like the SW Florida resorts or not.
on a resale how do I know if it is an HGVC unit? I know they sold older units that were not. I want to be apart of HGVC.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
on a resale how do I know if it is an HGVC unit? I know they sold older units that were not. I want to be apart of HGVC.

I think that has been changed. As always, ask to see the estoppel. If you are buying from a reputable broker, they should help you in this regard.

bcjenkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean Tower
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges
Carlsbad Seapointe
El Cid Vacations Club
Along with the help of @alwysonvac, we have previously submitted some updates to our HGVC Informational Overview document. One of the updates was concerning the HGVC Developed vs Affiliated list. Here is from the update submitted. If you have comments/corrections, please provide...

I believe Ocean Tower by Hilton Grand Vacations Club should be added to the Hawaii (Waikoloa) section of the list and tagged with "d/m." Yes?

Bruce

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I found this thread to be both helpful and a bit confusing. I am curious if anyone has a proper understanding of Ocean 22 specifically? I am in the process of buying a unit resale and would like to know what I'm getting, and any limitations there will be since it is not HGVC developed, and only managed.

Is this considered an affiliate?
Will there be an option for ROFR?
Do they have the choice of leaving HGVC?
Is there a difference with how I will book?

I appreciate any insight into this!

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
OK, Ocean 22 along with Ocean Oak & Ocean Enclave & Anderson Ocean Club were all build/purchased via the arrangement with the Strand Capital Group. This basically means that HGVC didn't have to front the money for the project. They are fully integrated into HGVC with ROFR. Anderson Ocean Club does have some units which isn't part of HGVC. The others are totally all HGVC.

There will not be a difference on how you book. I see them as very unlikely to ever leave HGVC. This has been a very beneficial business arrangement to both parties. That is my take, but hopefully others can help.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hey guys. I found this thread to be both helpful and a bit confusing. I am curious if anyone has a proper understanding of Ocean 22 specifically? I am in the process of buying a unit resale and would like to know what I'm getting, and any limitations there will be since it is not HGVC developed, and only managed.

Is this considered an affiliate?
Will there be an option for ROFR?
Do they have the choice of leaving HGVC?
Is there a difference with how I will book?

I appreciate any insight into this!
For owning it is not an affiliate as you do not have a choice to not be a member of hgvc.
There is Rofr.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info folks! Makes me feel more comfortable about my hopefully recent purchase. (ROFR pending)

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
OK, I am working on redoing the HGVC Resort Overview table. I would like comments on if this helps solve the questions that keep coming up concerning affiliate, ROFR, ect. Right now, it is only the US properties. I will add the international plus bHC once I get enough feedback.

Now, I will need some help with the GPR properties. Are they all like MarBrisa? (Some units are only part of GPR and can not be enrolled in HGVC. No ROFR

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 6.16.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 6.16.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 6.16.20 PM.png