• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best TS program for large homeschool family?

Reaction score
Hello! We are brand new to tjmesahes. We’ve rented some and this this would really work for our family of 7. We would need a 4bd condo style and live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Our goal is to travel around with the kids to see the US and some of Europe on a timeshare program. I’m wanting to buy on the second hand market and want enough points or program to travel two/three weeks out of the year. Willing to pay 900-$1100ish MF per year. There are so many programs / ownership styles to choose from. If you’re a seasoned pro, please help guide us! Thank you!!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
That is not a realistic budget for a 4 bedroom for 2-3 weeks. $1k per week for a 2-3 bedroom is more realistic. 4 bedrooms are not nearly as common as 2-3 bedrooms. Also, as they are not common, getting 4 br units will be difficult in most areas. If a 3 bedroom with pullout sofa could work, you’ll have many more options. You might want to think about your top picks for the next 5 years and then look for something that works for those places. You can post on tug about how realistic getting what you want is.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Problem also is if you are relying on rci, you won't find a lot of 3 and 4 bedroom units with the exception of places like Orlando, Williamsburg, Branson, and Massanutten (Virginia mountains). Systems like Wyndham that have 3 and 4 bedrooms, expect the MF's on those points to be $1500-$2500 per week and require booking fairly early perhaps with the exception of Orlando, Branson and Williamsburg. MF will likely be in the $1200+ per week for larger units in those areas for a single week. Getting an off season week in Europe is possible through rci but most likely in a 1 BR and maybe a 2 BR not in a 3 or 4 bedroom.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
At current prices I pay about $900 for a 1 bedroom for one week. There are precious few 4 bedroom TS units, so those would cost a premium and for multi weeks, just double or triple the cost.

Nice idea, but not realistic (imo).

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
So what would be a realistic budget if we did a 3bd with a pull out?

I would guess you would be in the $1,800 to $2,500 range depending on the system. Even with that, I think your hardest thing is going to be always looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom unit. You will always be trying to find unit with the least amount of availability at any resort.

2 bedroom units are common but at some resorts at certain times they are hard to trade into. 3 bedroom units even harder. 4 bedroom units would be harder still.

I just think you would be setting yourself up for disappointment.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, since you are looking at travelling to different locations, then you will be "trading" weeks or using a point-based program to book varying sizes and locations. Trading/exchanges are through 3rd party exchange companies, with an annual membership of about $100, and trade fees of more than $200 per trade. Most locations do not have 3BR units, although not as rare as 4BR units. Whatever that you decide to buy, a week's maintenance fees run about $1500 or more. You are looking at 2 to 3 weeks, you are looking at double or triple that maintenance fees.

If you are looking a point-based system, you will typically save on trading fees but are limited to the locations of that system.

Like what Jeff has said above, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer. There are just so few TSs that would have an occupancy of 7, then to be able to reserve multiple back-to-back weeks compounds the booking difficulty. I can't imagine finding such a TS on the resale market, and could visualize $5,000 of annual fees for 2-3 weeks IF you could find such a thing. I agree with the poster upthread that booking a large house on AirBnB or VRBO is going to be the way to go.

Good Luck!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would guess you would be in the $1,800 to $2,500 range depending on the system.
And that's per week. Double or triple that if they want 2-3 weeks per year (as stated in the OP).

With all of the challenges of exchanging and needing 3-4 bedrooms (minimum) for a family that size, I agree with @VacationForever that VRBO / AirBnB would be a much better plan.

Kurt

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually I think you’d have decent luck for 3 br or at least 2 bedroom with 2double/queen beds in 2nd bedroom and pullout sofa in areas such as Vegas, wllmbg, massanutten, Orlando, Myrtle beach, Hilton head. Many 2br sleep 8 and virtually all 3 br do. It’s possible the Calif, Colorado hiltons (hgvc) do as well. I’d start with just a one week/points TS that has units in an area you want to visit at least 1/2 of the time. Then keep renting for the other weeks to give flex and see how you like being committed to a TS.
A VV timeshare might work well, as it has lower fee internal trades I think. You could do massanutten, wllbg, Orlando. Others can chime in on different points systems. A Marriott week might also do well, as you’d get M preference in II to trade. Post over on M forum to see what resorts have 3 bedrooms readily available or at least 2 dbl/Q in 2nd bedroom. Plan to pay $1200/annual fees for a Marriott or hgvc. Massanutten is a popular place for families. Wllmbg is a wonderful place, esp with Busch gardens. You can take a long day trip to DC from either.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
It’s possible the Calif, Colorado hiltons (hgvc) do as well (sleep 8).

Just wanted to clarify - The two bedroom units in CA (including affiliates) and CO both have a max capacity of 6.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Dear OP. If you need 4 bdrms and you want to travel everywhere, you would be a better fit for AirBnB or VRBO.

You can also rent timeshares on go-Koala, Redweek and Tug2.net marketplaces.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Marriott week might also do well, as you’d get M preference in II to trade. Post over on M forum to see what resorts have 3 bedrooms readily available or at least 2 dbl/Q in 2nd bedroom. Plan to pay $1200/annual fees for a Marriott or hgvc. Massanutten is a popular place for families. Wllmbg is a wonderful place, esp with Busch gardens. You can take a long day trip to DC from either.
For the OP, who appears to be budget conscious, I can't see Marriott as a viable alternative.

Timeshares are luxury goods. Yes, some TUGgers have found ways to afford them at less-than-rack-rate prices, but that still requires some prioritization of assets, and virtually all of our timeshare use is from disposable income.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
@JustSomeDude2002 , you were lucky to have rescinded the retail purchase. Although you would have been fine to use the week 12 every year in Virginia (4 bdm) that isn’t what you were looking for. In the end, you would have been another unhappy timeshare owner trying to offload your timeshare with a $23K loss.

Another thought, if you have flexibility look at the last minute rental forums on TUG. Maybe you might find a couple of rooms or a single 3 bdm at the same resort at a decent rental price. The downside, your best chances for this is probably going to be in an area with a glut of timeshares, like Orlando or Vegas.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For the OP, who appears to be budget conscious, I can't see Marriott as a viable alternative.
I think the budget was more for annual fees--which would need to be higher for M, HGVC, etc. $1200 or less would be a non-branded TS (of which there are a number of excellent ones). OP rescinded a $20K purchase.
We'd pay more for Marriott, but had many fine vacations with 5-6 people at Wllmb, Massanutten and O in non-M. I'm sure others will chime in, but I'd say a 4BR Massanutten would also be a very good option, likely much cheaper than a M 2BR both in annual fees and resale pricing.
I think the cost savings even buying a $5K resale TS for a family of 7 would be very significant over the years.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The lowest Marriott maintenance fee: 2BR Willow Ridge Lodge at $1,348, 3BR Grand Chateau $2,011, 3BR Grande Vista $1,950. You can buy a 2BR, lockoff and get 2 trades out of it but you are very rarely find a 3BR available for exchange.

gradyfamily

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCHarbour Lake Legacy Gold
Hello! We are brand new to tjmesahes. We’ve rented some and this this would really work for our family of 7. We would need a 4bd condo style and live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Our goal is to travel around with the kids to see the US and some of Europe on a timeshare program. I’m wanting to buy on the second hand market and want enough points or program to travel two/three weeks out of the year. Willing to pay 900-$1100ish MF per year. There are so many programs / ownership styles to choose from. If you’re a seasoned pro, please help guide us! Thank you!!

Need to get an RV like the rest of the homeschool world. Im sure based on the price of gas rn there are deals out there to be had. $1k in MF not realistic. We are well above this in ours. Timeshares are not really "value" goods. Sorry. Lots of super big homes to rent on ABB.
Safe travels.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think it could work with a free resale for a summer week at VV at Williamsburg MF's would be around $1000 plus and rci fee of around $100. Exchanging back into VV resorts would be $159. And if one exchange was off season and one shoulder season- 2 exchanges into Williamsburg, Orlando, Massanutten, Berkshires is doable, It won't get them to Europe or hard to get destinations necessarily but it could supplement other travel. In some cases it would mean a 2 BR sleeps 8 with 2 sleeper sofas.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I don't have an answer. There are just so few TSs that would have an occupancy of 7, then to be able to reserve multiple back-to-back weeks compounds the booking difficulty. I can't imagine finding such a TS on the resale market, and could visualize $5,000 of annual fees for 2-3 weeks IF you could find such a thing. I agree with the poster upthread that booking a large house on AirBnB or VRBO is going to be the way to go.

Good Luck!

Quite a few Wyndham resorts have 2BR units with a max occupancy of eight (king, two doubles, sleeper-sofa). Seven people occupying one of these units would be permissible, if not comfortable. Seeing as it is family, it might work.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
@tschwa2 beat me to it. Vacation Village floor plans are pretty consistent from location to location. Their 2 bedroom units are actually 2 - 1 bedroom units with a common entry vestibule. Each 1 bedroom unit gives you a king bedroom, a queen pull out sofa, a full bath, and a full kitchen. This can be rather comfortable for a large family.

Trading using RCI between VV properties is cheaper ($159 exchange fee) and the maintenance fee is right around $1000 a year. Acquiring a peak time unit resale at Grandview, Massanutten, or Williamsburg would provide max points for trading (there are Colonies units that give about 150k in points). And, Vacation Village has some 32 locations to choose from in some pretty popular locations besides those mentioned above.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A four (4) bedroom TS condo will be very hard to find. Sound liked you will need to purchase two-two bedrooms timeshare condos.
Your MF will be over $2,000.00 per year for two timeshare units. IMHO

For a very large family I would suggest renting thru AirBnB or VRBO.

Finally to the OP, you would be looking for timeshare exchanges traveling off seasons or off peak travel time.
A two (2) weeks vacation per year is going to cost your family more in IMHO

Good luck.

Last edited:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI we own a 3 bedroom Marriott timeshare in Hilton Head. Our maintenance fees are about $1850/year per week. As others have said Airbnb would be better as your budget is not realistic.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Unless you are owning where you want to stay, I can't see trading working (not in Interval at least). Budget aside, even scenarios where you lock-off and have 2 units to trade with, what kind of trade power would you need to find those elusive 3 & 4 bedrooms? My platinum Marriott studio-side can't pull a lot of those larger units -- Interval doesn't even give access to them even if you're willing to pay the up-charge to increase the number of bedrooms. I would find it easier to trade into two, one or two-bedroom units and split up the family if possible and ask for rooms nearby. Doesn't sound ideal unless you have older kids who would like their own space. Trading into places that only have 3 or 4 bedrooms seems very limiting.

One exception could be European Marriott's, a 3 BR shouldn't be too difficult especially if you have a Marriott to trade.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
A points-based program that permits you to directly book the unit size you need could potentially offer some of the flexibility you want (ex., Wyndham, WorldMark, HGVC, Bluegreen). However, the annual MF for the amount of points you'd need for 2 weeks in 3BR or 4BR units per year would FAR exceed your budget. As others have mentioned, that's your problem point.

Years ago, our homeschooling family of 5 enjoyed off-season and shoulder season travel - better prices, lower crowds. Our kids often brought friends so we usually got 2BR units that sleep 8. The 2 girls slept on the LR sleeper sofa and the 4 boys slept on 2 double beds in the 2nd BR. They could choose to bring sleeping bags and/or inflatable mats for the floor if they didn't want to share. We also sometimes saved point$ by only booking 5-6 nights at drive-to locations, since Friday & Saturday nights typically require ~2x the points of weeknights.

If staying in 2BR units could work for your family, look into the locations that interest you within these systems to see if they offer 2BRs for 8 people, or 3BR units. Then determine how many points you'd need in a typical year and whether you could afford them. You'd still need to be able to plan far ahead, like 10+ months out, if you want 3BRs, even in shoulder seasons. But a good points system with resorts where you want to go and the ability to reserve directly without paying additional exchange fees would be the place to start, IMO. It would be for domestic travel, since there's not much out there in the way of a points system that includes both U.S. and European locations.