• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beware Of The Mayan Palace. Beware Of Their Time Share Scam!!!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Tell them you don't want you old timeshare. That they should go ahead and sell it. That is unless you want to keep both.

So at this point you bought a Mayan Palace. The price they said your old timeshare was worth was smoke and mirrors. If you had come in with no timeshare the final price would have been the same or possibly less depending on your negotiating skills.

If you say no to your old timeshare they still need to find someone to take it. They would rather get another $1800 from you than to get $0 from someone else or have to pay someone to take it. It's not gone until they have it out of your name but if you want it gone you definitely don't want to accept it back or worse yet pay to take it back.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Quite often resorts do give you your trade-in as "credit" (often more than you originally paid) for your purchase - huge red flag in my opinion! Generally, they do start at an extremely high number and give you "credit/trade-in" for what they call your "equity", but it is most likely close to their bottom line if you had nothing to trade in.

If you do already own Mayan Palace and/or Grand Mayan weeks, they apply the full price for your contracts. Now this works great if you bought re-sale as they do give you the prices for the original contract(s), so if you were to pay $2500-$5000 re-sale and they give you $16,000 credit, then you are doing pretty well - but, realize that regardless, they are still making money! (That is why many people purchase resale for a low price so that they can "leverage" the final price.)

Full disclosure - I have purchased full retail from MP, bought re-sale units, and upgraded on more than one occasion. - We love "Mayan World" and feel that they have treated us fairly with our upgrades! I would do it again!!! :)

They have a great product and the resorts are totally awesome!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Last edited:

RLA

Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same boat with the Equity Acquisition Services thing. (I bought on 5/04/14 in Cancun). Here's some info that I just found out...

I called Mayan Palace member services (1-800-292-9446) and asked about EAS. I was told that I am under no obligation to use EAS and did not have to pay the $749. There would be no recourse other than I would be keeping my current TS.

I then called my local County Clerk and Recorder (I'm in Colorado) and they informed me that I could do a Quit Claim Deed and deed my current TS over to EAS if I had all their info (which is in the email they send out). The fee for doing this is $11. !!!

At this point I'm not sure I want to incur the wrath of EAS (if I do the Quit Claim Deed) and deal with whatever tactics and threats they might use to try to get money out of me..... Anyway, there are options.

This sure makes me never want to step another foot into Mexico! EVER!

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
You got some bad advice!

If one could simply "quit claim" a deed for unwanted real estate to HOA, Pope, bum on skid row, dog, etc. life would indeed be simple for exterminating unwanted TSs!

Has to be acceptance by donne and resort in most cases has to legally process!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Several years ago, I sold a timeshare to someone by doing the Quit Claim Deed thing. I paid like $10 and the HOA office filed it for me and transferred it to the new owners name! It does happen!!! This unit was in Florida. The new owner paid me using PayPal.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Although you physically are able to pay to record a quit claim deed for X dollars, it does not mean it is a valid transfer without the permission and consent of the person in who's name you deed the property. Legally you have done nothing but muddy the validity of the deed slightly. All EAS has to tell the resort that you deeded the unit to them without their permission and the transfer and responsibility for the MF's would still be with the original owner and in order to get it out you would have to have EAS's cooperation to deed it to some one legitimately first back to you and then to who ever is willing to accept the deed.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same boat with the Equity Acquisition Services thing. (I bought on 5/04/14 in Cancun). Here's some info that I just found out...

I called Mayan Palace member services (1-800-292-9446) and asked about EAS. I was told that I am under no obligation to use EAS and did not have to pay the $749. There would be no recourse other than I would be keeping my current TS.

I then called my local County Clerk and Recorder (I'm in Colorado) and they informed me that I could do a Quit Claim Deed and deed my current TS over to EAS if I had all their info (which is in the email they send out). The fee for doing this is $11. !!!

At this point I'm not sure I want to incur the wrath of EAS (if I do the Quit Claim Deed) and deal with whatever tactics and threats they might use to try to get money out of me..... Anyway, there are options.

This sure makes me never want to step another foot into Mexico! EVER!

Don't give up on Mexico, just don't go to TS sales presentations!

indyjuli

TUG Member
Reaction score
ANOTHER MAYAN PALACE Scam

Post removed at indyjuli's request as a condition of a settlement with Grupo Mayan.

Last edited by a moderator:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Contact Customer Service. You did not say when this all transpired, so you must be out of the 5 day window to rescind, but they often will work something out. I see that you have posted on the longest thread that has a lot of information in it. There are a couple of other recent threads about Grand Bliss or Mayan Palace that you should read. They were actually higher on the list than one you posted in twice.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the MAJOR problem with Mayan's sales procedures is that they don't state clearly, and have the buyer sign- or at least initial- that they understand that they have 5 days to study the 'deal' and if they find it doesn't fit their needs, they can rescind.

That they either fail to mention it altogether, or bury that fact in the small print buried somewhere in a very wordy contract, it at best deceitful. They INTEND for this information to not be found until too late to act on it.

The Mayan resorts are great resorts. It's just their sales practices that are deceitful. Simply said, MAYAN SALESPEOPLE LIE! And they do it with corporate backing and training to do so.

Jim

indyjuli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mayan Palace Scam

Contact Customer Service. You did not say when this all transpired, so you must be out of the 5 day window to rescind, but they often will work something out. I see that you have posted on the longest thread that has a lot of information in it. There are a couple of other recent threads about Grand Bliss or Mayan Palace that you should read. They were actually higher on the list than one you posted in twice.

Hi Phyllis,

Yes, I am out of the 5 day rescission period. I was not made aware of this practice, otherwise, this post would NOT be here. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Juli

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the MAJOR problem with Mayan's sales procedures is that they don't state clearly, and have the buyer sign- or at least initial- that they understand that they have 5 days to study the 'deal' and if they find it doesn't fit their needs, they can rescind.

That they either fail to mention it altogether, or bury that fact in the small print buried somewhere in a very wordy contract, it at best deceitful. They INTEND for this information to not be found until too late to act on it.

The Mayan resorts are great resorts. It's just their sales practices that are deceitful. Simply said, MAYAN SALESPEOPLE LIE! And they do it with corporate backing and training to do so.

Jim

The MAJOR problem is some people don't read their contracts before signing. Regardless of how whipped a victim may feel, why would you not read a contract often involving tens of thousands of dollars.

I have the original paperwork from a 1999 contract which I purchased resale in '02. Now, I don't know what the more recent contracts include, but I can assure you this 4-page contract is very clear that there is a 5-day cancellation period right above the signature line. Plus they make it clear in the contract that the member should not rely on anything except what is contained in the contract. Quotes therein:

Right above the signature line: "Do not sign this agreement before you have read it or if it contains any blank spaces...You have the right to cancel this agreement within five (5) business days after the date you sign by (A) returning all documentation to the Member Service Representative..., and (B) sending written notification by certified mail, return receipt requested, within five (5) business days from the date you sign this agreement."

On the New Members' Verification Statement (one-page), which requires initials on each point and signature at the bottom: "The company will not rent or resell my weeks. An outside broker may be suggested but it is understood there is no guarantee on rental or resale, and I acknowledge that these weeks are not being purchased for the purpose of rental income or resale."
"I am signing the agreement of my own free will and volition, and have not received or relied on any promise, offer or inducement of any kind..."

Just to be clear, I do not condone the high-pressure sales tactics used by Vida or any other timeshare operation, and I hope the OP gets resolution. I just wanted to point out that, in my experience, VIDA is upfront with and honors their contracts.

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
clearly stated or didn't read?

Our contracts have all included the rescind information and the page where you must initial each important point of the contract.
This was all reviewed verbally with Member Services before signing.
I agree with all the points Muanojo made....very well written.

None of us have ever supported the Vida sales practices, but we have also experienced untruths here in the States. Ex: we attended a presentation with friends who upgraded their timeshare contract which they then rescinded. The following year's presentation included a review of the rescinded contract which was NOT what the 4 of us had understood and it was clear that the details were changed after signing. They were glad they had rescinded and that brought this presentation to a quick end. Another time friends at another table were told that we bought, sales had just opened a bottle of champagne with great flair nearby. Found out later that when the bottle was opened others were told "there's another buyer".....no one had bought...a lie! Mexico does not have the corner on ? sales practices.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see the contract that is currently used. If the rescission instructions are as clearly stated as you owners state, it's kind of hard to be REAL sympathetic toward a buyer who signed, and initialed without reading it. Also, she mentions early in her post that she's an owner at a Palm Springs TS, so that would indicate that she is not exactly a blind tourist who is unfamiliar with how timeshares work. A 'trade-in' deal was apparently offered, and accepted.

suzanton

Reaction score
The Mayan has satisfactorly resolved my issue and I remove my post

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is HOPE!!

Yeah, there is hope, but if you go back and read the post from April, she has the papers where the salesweasels made specific promises, and offers not included in the contract. Fraud was pretty easy to prove with the assistance of PROFECO. Did you keep all those hand written promises? Did you open a file with PROFECO?

It takes more than hope.

Jim

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I'd be interested to see the contract that is currently used. If the rescission instructions are as clearly stated as you owners state, it's kind of hard to be REAL sympathetic toward a buyer who signed, and initialed without reading it. Also, she mentions early in her post that she's an owner at a Palm Springs TS, so that would indicate that she is not exactly a blind tourist who is unfamiliar with how timeshares work. A 'trade-in' deal was apparently offered, and accepted.

Jim - I have my Grand Luxxe contract that was written in June 2013. (We upgraded all our MP & GM weeks to GL.) It has three (3) folders about the contract - basic, First 10 years, and then years 11-100. The first one has a statement about they adhere to Mexican laws. Then when I was reading the 2nd folder, I see that under General Provisions - there is a statement in the middle of the paragraph that I had underlined - "Member has the right to rescind this Contract within five business days from the date Member signed this Contract." It even says that Sunday is not considered a business day.

So, it is in there, you just have to look for it. Novices might miss it since they do not read and underline or highlight everything we question when they get back to their unit. We found several things that we went back to talk to them about the next day and they made addendums for those.

The first page of the page where you have to initial everything specifically states that the Company will not rent or sell my weeks. Then the last statement on that page states that this contract is subject to Mexican law and jurisdiction.

So - it is in there. The key is to READ your contract carefully BEFORE you leave the resort - not when you get home.
_

Actually about 30 years ago, we almost bought at Fairfield Bay in Arkansas near where my in-laws lived. Our boys were teenagers who loved golfing and swimming so we thought that would be something to have to use and have family visit us there for everyone to have a vacation. We got back to our unit and that night, I read everything over & over. The next morning we went back and rescinded the contract. That experience was certainly helpful for when about 7 years later, we did buy our first timeshare. We knew what to look for in contracts and the questions to ask and to make sure everything was what you felt you bought.

I think we all do try to be as helpful as possible with the "newbies". We just need to help them figure out what is best for them. Basically, it boils down to - If you got what you wanted, then keep it and use it. If you read everything in the contract more than once and are uncomfortable with what you read, go back to the office and either have them make it right (in writing) or rescind. If you have "buyer's remorse", that is OK, most of us have been there. But, it sure is easier to do something about it in those 5 days!!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snipped for brevity>
So - it is in there. The key is to READ your contract carefully BEFORE you leave the resort - not when you get home.

If you have "buyer's remorse", that is OK, most of us have been there. But, it sure is easier to do something about it in those 5 days!!!

I couldn't agree more. It would make our- and their- job soooo much easier.

It REALLY bothers me when someone comes here, and there is basically nothing that can be done to undo what they have done to themselves. In the vast majority of cases, nobody did it to them, their situation was to a large extent self-inflicted. It could have been set straight if only they had read the contract.

Then when someone comes here commiserating that they were taken advantage of, when they (a) admit that they didn't read the contract, and (b) that they were already timeshare owners, so MUST know how these things operate, I have little sympathy. That doesn't mean I won't tell them about what has been shown to work, but if they are victims off their own laziness , and unable-or unwilling to help themselves, it's their problem, not mine.

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
It REALLY bothers me when someone comes here, and there is basically nothing that can be done to undo what they have done to themselves. In the vast majority of cases, nobody did it to them, their situation was to a large extent self-inflicted. It could have been set straight if only they had read the contract.

Then when someone comes here commiserating that they were taken advantage of, when they (a) admit that they didn't read the contract, and (b) that they were already timeshare owners, so MUST know how these things operate, I have little sympathy. That doesn't mean I won't tell them about what has been shown to work, but if they are victims off their own laziness , and unable-or unwilling to help themselves, it's their problem, not mine.

I'll agree almost completely with your post. There is no question that it is incumbent on the potential buyer to read and fully understand a contract that involves several thousand dollars.

That being said, you/we have to realize the circumstances under which the buyer probably signed the contract. First, we've heard these horror stories about how buyers have been practically held captive for 4-6 hours in what was supposed to be a 90-minute presentation. Most buyers sign on the dotted line just to get out of the place. Under such circumstances, who's going to read a multi-page document with a whole lot of legal mumbo-jumbo, let alone understand it?

And if the buyer does not understand something, who's the first person he's going to ask to explain it? My answer would be the sales person he's been talking to? And of course, the sales person is going to answer in such a way that will make the contract seem like a license to print money and the buyer will just take the sales person's word for it.

indyjuli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Issue Resolved

Thank everyone for their support and encouragement here on TUG. I am in current negotiations with The Vida Vacation Club and Grand Mayan. I would like to thank Eridany James and Karen Rose for providing excellent customer service. They have resolved my issue and as a result, I would like to retract my earlier post. Thank you.

Julie M.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent post, Julie! C'mon back anytime you want to talk timeshares or vacations.