• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying DC points direct from Marriott

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
While I love my Maui fixed weeks, once you start talking real serious money, these RC quarter-share deals have tremendous appeal from a points and MF cost perspective compared to buying multiple prime Maui weeks. One still has to reserve the week, but 29,000 points is about three to four weeks for a 2BR Lahaina OF in February. Those weeks are a minimum of $120K in resale week cost, with lots more options with points and comparable MF.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
While I love my Maui fixed weeks, once you start talking real serious money, these RC quarter-share deals have tremendous appeal from a points and MF cost perspective compared to buying multiple prime Maui weeks. One still has to reserve the week, but 29,000 points is about three to four weeks for a 2BR Lahaina OF in February. Those weeks are a minimum of $120K in resale week cost, with lots more options with points and comparable MF.

But with your fixed weeks, you know what you've got. How hard would it be to reliably book the same 3-4 February weeks in a 2BR OF in Lahaina Villas with points?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
But with your fixed weeks, you know what you've got. How hard would it be to reliably book the same 3-4 February weeks in a 2BR OF in Lahaina Villas with points?
That's the trade off...getting the same unit for 2-4 weeks each year or option to travel to other areas. (GregT says I'll be able to enroll them on the 10 anniversary next year. ;-)

Then again, they do rent well...so there's that. Anyway, the RC quarter shares seem to be the way to go, if you've committed to spending that kind of money upfront.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course you could have gone for the floating weeks at MOC for much less than the fixed week and had a lower cost up front than the fixed weeks and a better chance of getting your reservations in all likelihood. One way to look at this is if you enrolled your fixed weeks then compare total cost and dues on a PP basis. Looking at at the unit assignment priority the fixed weeks would be best, floating weeks next and points come in at or around the same level of priority as exchange weeks. You made the decision up front that the guarantees were worth the extra costs to you. The good news about where you are with the fixed weeks is you could reverse the process if you wanted and go the other way.

That's the trade off...getting the same unit for 2-4 weeks each year or option to travel to other areas. (GregT says I'll be able to enroll them on the 10 anniversary next year. ;-)

Then again, they do rent well...so there's that. Anyway, the RC quarter shares seem to be the way to go, if you've committed to spending that kind of money upfront.
For someone going from zero to 60, who points alone is a good option, it likely is the best or at least cheapest. For someone who's knowledgeable but starting from scratch and wants this type of volume I still tend to favor the idea of buying resale weeks at a resort(s) they'll tend to use and getting them enrolled later. Either with a hybrid purchase option or buying the weeks first on the open market and then getting them enrolled afterwards. Obviously there is a risk of not being able to enroll afterwards. Paying attention to PP maintenance fees along the way.

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, everything has cleared and I am finally fully purchased, enrolled, and elected. Whew, that took a while (but not as long as HGVC!).

Here are details for anyone looking to do a GRC quarter share purchase:

First, for those who don't know or need more info: a "quarter share" is a single deeded "unit" containing 13 weeks (1/4 of a year). The GRC program divides quarter shares into week 1, week 2, week 3 and week 4.. basically you get one week every 4th week but the exact week you get changes every year. The MVC point value of each week also changes because it matters which week you are electing to points (and weeks change each year). So this year, for example, my first week ends up being over new years 2019-20 and has an elected value of 3900 points, but some other weeks in the summer are only 1100 points. The total points for 2020 turns out to be 24,825 but it can vary between 21,000 up to as high as 27,000 (I think - it is hard to calculate exactly) depending on the year.

Paid $49,750 for the GRC quarter share. This was roughly $2 per point based on 2019 point values. I was told by Marriott reps that it needed to be $2 to clear ROFR, but I understand also that lower values have gone through in the past 12 months (Marriott acknowledged that, but said they expected the minimum needed to be higher than in the past and I did not want to take a chance).

I also purchased at the same time 5,000 MVC Trust points direct from MVC under the September promotion. That cost about $53,000 all in for the 5,000 MVC Trust points.

We also received 12,500 incentive points at closing (we get more if we keep financing in place but probably will not).

I asked for and obtained a written assurance from MVC that they would treat the 5,000 MVC point purchase as if it occurred after the purchase of the GRC quarter share (this is important because in order to enroll the GRC quarter share, you have to purchase 5,000 MVC Trust points after already owning the GRC quarter share).

We also paid the $5,000 enrollment fee at closing of the GRC purchase direct to MVC (from the escrow of the GRC purchase).

ROFR cleared the week after we submitted it. It took about a month for the GRC quarter share to be enrolled, and another few weeks before the elections were made effective (converting 2020 into points). We had approval from GRC that we would be able to elect "late" due to the timing which required closing in late October. I was nervous about this, but it all worked out exaclty as GRC/MVC promised it would.

In addition, as part of our "deal" MVC made 4 weeks of reservations for us at Frenchman's Cove for 2020 - we would not have been able to get these reserved on our own had we waited, so I am glad we insisted on that. The Frenchman's Cove reservations used our 2020 and 2021 Trust points, plus some points "borrowed" from our bonus point allocation. Once we closed, they made a bunch of point transfers, and the Frenchman's Cove reservations magically appeared in our account!

The net result of all this is that we now are Chairman's Club owners, with around 29K points every year. Our "average" cost per point including the enrollment fee was $3.70. I haven't calculated the exact maintenance fee average cost, but I think it will be around .25 cents.

I am very happy with this purchase, and might even look to add on another quarter share down the road as long as GRC maintains the program that allows enrollment of the entire quarter share (FYI, the ability to enroll the entire 13 week GRC quarter share with purchase of 5,000 Trust points is unique to GRC as far as I understand it).

Marriott has been amazing to deal with. I am really impressed with the teamwork exhibited by the entire Marriott team, and their willingness to work through complicated issues. This never, ever, would have been possible in the HGVC system (of which I am also the highest elite level currently).

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats! We closed on our GRC quarter share around May, with a qualifying purchase at St. Kitts. The economics are truly compelling. Based on your point conversion numbers, sounds like you purchased a studio?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, please satisfy my curiosity; What are the annual maintenance fees for this quarter share studio ?

That's one of the best parts. According to his 25c estimate, should be around 6k. I vastly favor this over resale weeks. But to each his own.

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's one of the best parts. According to his 25c estimate, should be around 6k. I vastly favor this over resale weeks. But to each his own.

Yes, 2019 maintenance was only $4,684. If you average that with the 5,000 Trust point purchase it comes to around 25 cents per point but note that it is variable - higher in some years, lower in others (because the number of points varies year to year). Edit: to be clear, the $/point maintenance varies from year to year because the denominator (number of points) varies by several thousand points from year to year (the maintenance fee does not vary with points, it just changes slowly like all other maintenance fees)

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats! We closed on our GRC quarter share around May, with a qualifying purchase at St. Kitts. The economics are truly compelling. Based on your point conversion numbers, sounds like you purchased a studio?

You are lucky - we really wanted to use the St Kitts week as a qualifying purchase, but MVC told us that they no longer allow that "deal" and we had to purchase Trust points to qualify the GRC quarter share. You may have been the last to get that deal if what MVC told me is accurate!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

When were you able to enroll your GRC unit with a purchase at St Kitts? Thanks

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I was offered the enrollment of my two quartershares at GRC and two resale post 2010 2br Marriott weeks at the end of July 2019 for 5000 trust points. Was informed that I had to buy trust points and could not buy a week. Dont know if I was told the truth about not allowing the weeks purchase to enroll. I also was able to decline the $5000 fee for the ability to convert dc points to Marriott Reward Points. I was told it was an optional fee so I declined. I would not convert any dc points to mrp points anyway. Having 2 years to use trust and elected points made that decision even easier not to pay the 5k.

I was offered the ability to enroll both quarteshares at an update about 5 years ago. That fell apart when the manager could not get corporate in Orlando to sign off on the enrollment. This July, at San Fran Pulse, manager said it was no problem to enroll both quarteshares when I showed no interest in purchasing DC points. Hopefully MVC stance towards resale weeks is softening. I am waiting for the next enrollment period of post 2010 weeks so that I can enroll the rest of my weeks.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told the $5,000 fee could not be waived and it was not solely a requirement to convert to BonVoy Rewards, for which I would never do anyway as well.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was told the $5,000 fee could not be waived and it was not solely a requirement to convert to BonVoy Rewards, for which I would never do anyway as well.
Glad I am not the only one that sees no value to convert to bonvoy points.

I was told when I bought my first MGR resale that if I wanted to enroll the quartershare it was 5k dc points with option to pay $5k to convert to dc points. Told this was non mandatory and confirmed at Pulse SF sales center.

Now, I understand that as of Aug 1st it is no longer an option.

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad I am not the only one that sees no value to convert to bonvoy points.

I was told when I bought my first MGR resale that if I wanted to enroll the quartershare it was 5k dc points with option to pay $5k to convert to dc points. Told this was non mandatory and confirmed at Pulse SF sales center.

Now, I understand that as of Aug 1st it is no longer an option.

My MVC rep mentioned an August memo as well stating that the $5,000 fee was mandatory to be able to enroll the GRC quarter share (I think that is also when they stopped allowing purchase of St Kitts week as enabling enrollment of the GRC quarter share, and required 5000 Trust points instead).